Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Post by RNcyanide »

Good bye, office tower.
Last edited by RNcyanide on Thu May 04, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Post by iamjacobm »

Congrats to them!
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Post by Bomaha »

I just saw that! That's awesome. God, five years from now will be amazing. Even three years. Just wow.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

City announces firm for Civic Auditorium site redevelopment

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/city-an ... f6878.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Mayor Jean Stothert announced Friday that Tetrad Property Group won the contract to redevelop the Civic Auditorium site in downtown Omaha.

Omaha-based Tetrad stood out by reaching out to Civic-area businesses, and for past projects like the Fred and Pamela Buffett Cancer Center project at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, Stothert said.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

According to some calculations Garrett did in the old thread, this office building should be around 253', putting it between the OWH (250') and 1200 Landmark Center (255') buildings and making it the 9th tallest building in the city.

Per Wikipedia.

And another win is the specific request for a 'large urban box store' for groceries.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice! Let the pics and graphics begin...
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

This development inspired me to check the tallest buildings list and a question arose. Why does it appear that the UP building is just barely taller than the OWH when there is almost a 70ft difference? And on the same note, the Landmark center even looks shorter than the OWH even though it is 5ft taller. Is the land that much higher there?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

KETV reporting that the project will cost $300 million, but they say the tower will be 14 stories.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote:This development inspired me to check the tallest buildings list and a question arose. Why does it appear that the UP building is just barely taller than the OWH when there is almost a 70ft difference? And on the same note, the Landmark center even looks shorter than the OWH even though it is 5ft taller. Is the land that much higher there?

I think UP counts all the extras on the roof.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The video on the OWH article shows some hasty-looking photoshop images of what it will kind of look like compared to the skyline at night from the perspective of TDA. As for the tower being 14 stories, is that not counting the 2-3 floors the tower will be sitting on?

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

RNcyanide wrote:The video on the OWH article shows some hasty-looking photoshop images of what it will kind of look like compared to the skyline at night from the perspective of TDA. As for the tower being 14 stories, is that not counting the 2-3 floors the tower will be sitting on?
Looks awesome on the skyline in those shots!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

2018 being thrown around as a completion date.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

3 and 1/2 years for a project that scale sounds about right with all the red tape.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Louie wrote:3 and 1/2 years for a project that scale sounds about right with all the red tape.
Any idea on the pricetag yet?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote:The video on the OWH article shows some hasty-looking photoshop images of what it will kind of look like compared to the skyline at night from the perspective of TDA. As for the tower being 14 stories, is that not counting the 2-3 floors the tower will be sitting on?
That rendering makes the office tower appear pretty tall. To me it looks similar in height to the Woodmen, but it will probably only be 1/2 as tall. I do realize that the elevation is higher at between 17th and 19th and Capital, but I don't think the office tower's appearance is going to be that commanding on the skyline...definitely visable, but not as much as the rendering.
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:
Louie wrote:3 and 1/2 years for a project that scale sounds about right with all the red tape.
Any idea on the pricetag yet?
$300 million.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I'm very sad to see the Civic go. But I love this project. It's a lot more than I thought anybody would be willing to do at that site, especially vertically. It'll look great driving by on 480.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:2018 being thrown around as a completion date.
The updated World Herald article is saying that for now they are calling it Project 19, in hopes of having it completed by 2019.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

twiztid1 wrote:I'm very sad to see the Civic go.  But I love this project.  It's a lot more than I thought anybody would be willing to do at that site, especially vertically.  It'll look great driving by on 480.
There'll still be monster truck shows, right?

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Let's flashforward to 2019:

"I hope this project gets underway soon, I see they put up a fence around the lot!"
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Is there a demo date yet? Type of demo?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Is there a demo date yet? Type of demo?

From the story:

"She said Tetrad and city officials now will negotiate. Stothert said she hopes demolition can begin in 2015, and construction will occur in 2018."

Hopes.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Miley Cyrus coming?
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Odds on whether this or Shamrock gets done first? My money is on this!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Typical WOWT work...

A. Get the name of the company wrong
B. Connect it to the Huskers
WOWT wrote:Mayor Jean Stothert announced the develop partnership with DETRAD Development. The project is being headed by former Husker football player Zach Wiegert.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Talking with some people i know, the city REALLY has been working hard at making this project happen. This is a great project to drive further development in that area as well as Capital street and the (eventual) Shamrock development. Its also really nice to see a project that doesnt have a hotel as an anchor. I also agree with the posting that this project will be done sooner that the Shamrock one. Wouldnt be surprised to see Shamrock be delayed and "modified" as the civic development has much better backing. Now, lets hope both the city and Yates can get get their S#!T together and do something with the crossroad.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

MadMartin8 wrote:

From the story:

"She said Tetrad and city officials now will negotiate. Stothert said she hopes demolition can begin in 2015, and construction will occur in 2018."

Hopes.

you mean construction will be completed in 2018 :)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha_Gabe wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

From the story:

Hopes.

you mean construction will be completed in 2018 :)
Actually the story did say "occur". It sounds like the completion is scheduled for 2019.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Glad to see a tower and grocery, but I was hoping for the plan with the residential tower as I see the office space as competition to a Lanoha Tower. Any idea how this may affect Lanoha if they were shooting for office space as well?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://mayors-office.cityofomaha.org/in ... wn-skyline
“Project 19” will replace the 60-year old auditorium. It’s just a working name for now, based on the expected completion date of 2019.

Tetrad plans a $300 million mixed-use development, including retail, residential, a civic component and a 14-story office building. “If we have demand for 40 stories, we’ll build 40,” said Tetrad Property Group President and CEO Zach Wiegert. “Hopefully our plan grows; we’re open to a larger project.” Wiegert says the project could include a museum or a digital library. The current parking garage will remain on the site.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

The project looks great. I love the density and height. Omaha really doesn't coast.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'm curious. Between this, Lanoha & Capitol District that's a lot of office space to absorb. Do you think all three will happen?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There was an article recently that said Class A office space vacancy is below 4%. I am sure we could use more space, but there certainly is a lot of space proposed for downtown. You have to wonder if something might get forced out of the race for space?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NovakOmaha wrote:I'm curious.  Between this, Lanoha & Capitol District that's a lot of office space to absorb.  Do you think all three will happen?
Not within this decade, no.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

First national uses this and UP uses lanoha? They both need space...

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

My long shot guess is Kiewit considering a Scott is one of the heads of Tetrad. Not saying it will, just throwing stuff at the wall.

In reality the odds of us getting a single tenant building is very low. What needs to happen is something like Green Plains Energy taking a chunk of one(maybe put their name on it) and try and attract a law firm and accounting firm to move from the burbs to downtown. Someone mentioned the thought that HDR moves from their space by Methodist to here as an idea. Probably get UP in some of the space. CenturyLink has said they might move more jobs downtown, maybe one of these newer BH insurance companies grows like a weed.

Heck maybe we get news that some massive company wants to move 500 jobs here. heck maybe that Niobium mine by Elk Creek becomes a billion dollar industry for the state and the company opens an office in Omaha to be closer to the site.

The thing is none of this space will filled unless we start increasing our job growth. This next 5 years has a ton of promise and is setting up to be very transformative for the city, it may be bunk if we don't become more competitive with our job growth.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Am I the only one who doesn't really like the looks of this project? I like that it includes an office tower, but as for the architectural appearance of this development, it's very blah and looks some what dated. To me, it just doesn't have a "wow" facture.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

OmahaOmaha wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't really like the looks of this project?   I like that it includes an office tower, but as for the architectural appearance of this development, it's very blah and looks some what dated.   To me, it just doesn't have a "wow" facture.
I'm with you on this one, however, you have to remember that this is Omaha. It will most likely be phased back and changed about 4 times before they even start on securing the funding 5-6 years from now. Have no fear about the looks, they'll change.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

These are just 'proposals' or first drafts. I do hope they will add aesthetics to this project as it begins to unfold, as they figure out how to fill the 40 stories...