Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Louie
County Board

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Post by Louie »

MTO wrote:The best grocery store in town is at village point but if you can not find enough sustenance to survive at either Patrick's, Wohlner's or the farmer's market then you're stuck in a 50s consumption model.
There's a grocery store out there?
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

MTO wrote:Nothing cool or niche about Hy-Vee not a single thing.
I'd argue against this. When I first moved to Omaha I fell in love with Hy-Vee because they sold a few random things I couldn't find in H-E-B or Dillons previously. The first major thing was fresh bean sprouts, but the whole employee owned / we'll carry random stuff customers want philosophy really does put it a notch above most grocery store chains to me. And the little cards aren't required to get the real prices (discounts). Kroger's implementation upset me off as I watched prices rise sharply when they launched their cards just to give a "discount" with your member card.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Athomsfere wrote:
I'd argue against this. When I first moved to Omaha I fell in love with Hy-Vee because they sold a few random things I couldn't find in H-E-B or Dillons previously. The first major thing was fresh bean sprouts, but the whole employee owned / we'll carry random stuff customers want philosophy really does put it a notch above most grocery store chains to me. And the little cards aren't required to get the real prices (discounts). Kroger's implementation upset me off as I watched prices rise sharply when they launched their cards just to give a "discount" with your member card.
I ageee hyvee is great!
#gohawks
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Is MTO a millennial hipster?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Athomsfere wrote:
Plus, Coyote's Hy-Vee has a mac-and-cheese bar. That's cutting edge.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MTO wrote:The best grocery store in town is at village point but if you can not find enough sustenance to survive at either Patrick's, Wohlner's or the farmer's market then you're stuck in a 50s consumption model.
Would you kindly let me know what grocery store is at Village Point? I would like to know what and where it is so I can try it and see for myself.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Thoughts -

I would love for Omaha to have a true downtown Square - a gathering place for people with statues, art, and a walk of fame. if you agree, where would you put it? I'm thinking it should go where Wall Street tower was going to be built.

If Omaha builds a new library I hope it is a piece of art architecturally like so many cities have. Omaha needs some great architecture.

We need a museum of science and industry/innovation which should be located downtown possibly in the capitol district so it's close to the Joslyn. It would be great to have a museum district. My other thought is to put it on the river.
Back Home in Omaha!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There hasn't been a grocery store at Village Pointe since Wild Oats was bought out by Whole Foods and closed the place in 2007.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:Does anyone have plans for DTO Des Moines Hy-Vee, and if was going to be any different than 'Regular ' model? Have they ever built a high end store?
DTO Des Moines huh? Sounds like quite the place. :;):

On a serious note, I think it's supposed to be smaller than a normal store, around 35k sq.ft. I know these days that they've been increasing the size of their organic departments due to shifting demand, so that would probably be a significant component.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Garrett wrote:
Coyote wrote:Does anyone have plans for DTO Des Moines Hy-Vee, and if was going to be any different than 'Regular ' model? Have they ever built a high end store?
DTO Des Moines huh? Sounds like quite the place. :;):

On a serious note, I think it's supposed to be smaller than a normal store, around 35k sq.ft. I know these days that they've been increasing the size of their organic departments due to shifting demand, so that would probably be a significant component.
I believe it included the Market Grille and their bar too.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 wrote:Is MTO a millennial hipster?
You forgot to add "Urbanist"..

A millennial hipster urbanist.. Oy vey...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Greg S wrote:
MTO wrote:I'd rather have our local Wholner's, Patrick's and the 10th street farmers market than a Hy-Vee servicing downtown.

I think with that line up I'd still have to drive to a Hy Vee , Baker's or SuperTarget to finish my shopping. Fairly limited selection.

Greg
I agree. When I lived downtown I was only a couple blocks away from Patrick's, but I only went there when I needed a few items. I did most of my grocery shopping at Bag N Save on Vinton.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

jjjjhskr wrote:Thoughts -

I would love for Omaha to have a true downtown Square - a gathering place for people with statues, art, and a walk of fame. if you agree, where would you put it? I'm thinking it should go where Wall Street tower was going to be built.

If Omaha builds a new library I hope it is a piece of art architecturally like so many cities have. Omaha needs some great architecture.

We need a museum of science and industry/innovation which should be located downtown possibly in the capitol district so it's close to the Joslyn. It would be great to have a museum district. My other thought is to put it on the river.
I love these ideas. I think the square should be the existing Gene Leahy Mall. I love the idea of walking amongst the trees and viewing sculptures. I prefer the idea of a museum district over a museum on the riverfront, unless the museum on the river was relevant to the history of it. I think new museums on physician mutual's land and north of Davenport street would be a perfect place for new museums.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

My gold vision for downtown is a combination of a lot of ideas i've seen on the forums, it starts with GL mall being completely rethought and turned into something resembling a mini river walk with restaurants and nice retail on the edge. This would be the "main square" with my dream of a big magnificent, mixed use (office and residential) skyscraper on the current library sport :;): . Next I think that the riverfront first and foremost needs to be planned out much better starting out with better connection and a completely unified riverfront, rather bits and pieces here and there that wouldn't cross most people's mind when thinking "what should I go explore today downtown" (heartland am park, ricks area). The riverfront could be tied in with the mall like it is supposed to be (but conagra, railroad, etc :roll: ) and at this point my wish is for conagra to get the f out of here and extend the old market to also integrate with the riverfront (heartland am park). I think the riverfront would be a genius place to have museums, but they need to look good and fit in to the area, we SHOULD NOT plop some buildings down on the riverfront just to deal with the lack of anything there. It needs something to make it a destination, so museums are great. Now to deal with the library. It definitely would fit in nicely in the tetrad development if it had some really cool and exciting architecture and modern integration like do space. I think the newly proposed arts district in North Downtown is the cherry on top to make the downtown a great place (other than a damn streetcar and 480 in the dirt!!!)

FYI: Most of these ideas are not regarding the current challenges like money, lead in dirt on riverfront, etc. I understand people want things right now, but it's worth the time to take into account how amazing downtown could be if we take it to its full potential. It will take lots more money and time to do it right, but it is important to get it right because downtown is the gleaming heart of a city and the signature of any city. Hit a home run (even if it takes a while to get there) and people will be dying to come see Omaha(:
#gohawks
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

I'm thinking something like this for a science museum on the river. Milwaukee Art Museum.
Attachments
MKE art museum.jpg
MKE art museum.jpg (3.73 KiB) Viewed 5133 times
Back Home in Omaha!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

jjjjhskr wrote:I'm thinking something like this for a science museum on the river. Milwaukee Art Museum.
That is a great building! It only cost $121 million in 1998. Maybe we can get a few big donors and get Calatrava to design something for us too. 8)
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

121 in 98 would be something like 300 million today.
15-17, 26, 32
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Post by mistergutierrez »

Noooooo!!!!!! Everyone but Calatrava. As Spaniard I have suffered that "architect" for sooooo long. All Spain is covered by his works, which only have two things in common: a massive representation of his ego and massive overcosts for taxpayers, both in construction and maintenance. That guy is a hustler.

For instance, he sued the city of Bilbao for $3M for "moral damages to an intellectual property" because the city added an access ramp for wheelchairs. That bridge (pasarela Zubizuri) also caused the city a lot of money in demands because the glass used is super cool at night when it is illuminated, but it is highly slippery when it rains, 180 days per year in that city. So, they cover the bridge with a carpet, no more lights displays. He does not give a f**k about the location of his works, like his bridge in Jerusalem.

For more info:
http://www.calatravanonoscalla.com/
Aspire Omaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Aspire Omaha »

A downtown city square would fit nicely on the W Dale Clark property (once the library abandons it) following their move to the old Civic block. Already on the bus line, a new integrated Metro transfer station (Metro BRT, B-cycle, taxi-stands, Uber, airport shuttle, Amtrak shuttle...horse-drawn carriages) could be built adjacent to the city square to maximize pedestrian traffic. Close to large corporations, hotels, Old Market, CLink. Large enough to accommodate summer festivals. Geographically, it is centrally located within the heart of the business district and visually, it would align with the popular skyline views. All great cities have squares: Trafalgar Square, Piazza del Campo, Plaza Mayor, Red Square, St. Peter’s Square,Times Square... etc.
Attachments
Three Rivers Square 2.jpg
Three Rivers Square 2.jpg (68.62 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

jjjjhskr wrote:I'm thinking something like this for a science museum on the river. Milwaukee Art Museum.
I'll throw out there one of two interesting architectural pieces in Wichita, Kansas.

Exploration Place (science museum), and budget friendly-ish at $62m.

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

[youtube][/youtube]
15-17, 26, 32
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Aspire Omaha wrote:

A downtown city square would fit nicely on the W Dale Clark property (once the library abandons it) following their move to the old Civic block. Already on the bus line, a new integrated Metro transfer station (Metro BRT, B-cycle, taxi-stands, Uber, airport shuttle, Amtrak shuttle...horse-drawn carriages) could be built adjacent to the city square to maximize pedestrian traffic. Close to large corporations, hotels, Old Market, CLink. Large enough to accommodate summer festivals. Geographically, it is centrally located within the heart of the business district and visually, it would align with the popular skyline views. All great cities have squares: Trafalgar Square, Piazza del Campo, Plaza Mayor, Red Square, St. Peter’s Square,Times Square... etc.[/quote

That is exactly what I would want! a hub for the city, a meeting place, and something that makes a statement about Omaha.
Back Home in Omaha!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Athomsfere wrote:
I'll throw out there one of two interesting architectural pieces in Wichita, Kansas.

Exploration Place (science museum), and budget friendly-ish at $62m.

Beautiful!
Back Home in Omaha!
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Aspire Omaha wrote:

A downtown city square would fit nicely on the W Dale Clark property (once the library abandons it) following their move to the old Civic block. Already on the bus line, a new integrated Metro transfer station (Metro BRT, B-cycle, taxi-stands, Uber, airport shuttle, Amtrak shuttle...horse-drawn carriages) could be built adjacent to the city square to maximize pedestrian traffic. Close to large corporations, hotels, Old Market, CLink. Large enough to accommodate summer festivals. Geographically, it is centrally located within the heart of the business district and visually, it would align with the popular skyline views. All great cities have squares: Trafalgar Square, Piazza del Campo, Plaza Mayor, Red Square, St. Peter’s Square,Times Square... etc.
Is it just me or would a skyscraper look out of place on the library lot. I'd much rather have a square and let a tower fill one of the numerous parking lots downtown.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
mahaboy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mahaboy »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
Aspire Omaha wrote:

Is it just me or would a skyscraper look out of place on the library lot. I'd much rather have a square and let a tower fill one of the numerous parking lots downtown.
Completely agree. The library spot would be a great center place for downtown. The empty lot at 14th and Capitol would be a great spot for a skyscraper.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:
Aspire Omaha wrote:

Yeah I understand about the library spot and a skyscraper. I know a lot of people have mentioned the signature Omaha picture with the mall/big red giants/ woodmen lined up and it would mess with it I guess. I guess I'm just hungry for some heighth and this would be the easiest location to get someone committed to a large building.
#gohawks
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

The Place To Be
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (59.67 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (58.65 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (62.65 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
tpaine
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tpaine »

Not much left of the old Civic Auditorium:
Civic Site 2.jpg
Civic Site 2.jpg (187.71 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
Last edited by tpaine on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, quite the vantage point you have there!
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

I thought I read that the parking garage was being demolished too. Is this no longer the case?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

EricHaley wrote:I thought I read that the parking garage was being demolished too. Is this no longer the case?
That was always planned to stay.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

EricHaley wrote:I thought I read that the parking garage was being demolished too. Is this no longer the case?
You would of thought they'd tear it down to build a surface parking lot, right?
symphie
New to the Neighborhood

Post by symphie »

This is probably cliche but...a tower would look so nice there in my opinion. Here's to wishing.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

It be a nice park for the apartments across the street.
Desmoire
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Desmoire »

skinzfan23 wrote:Wow, quite the vantage point you have there!
No doubt in the First National Tower. I just started working for fnb downtown and I am excited to see what goes here.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The planning board will be reviewing the new plans for this land today that include a new library. Apparently supposed to be made public Monday.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:The planning board will be reviewing the new plans for this land today that include a new library. Apparently supposed to be made public Monday.
Lets keep our fingers crossed.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I guess I read wrong. Released today.

buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

iamjacobm wrote:I guess I read wrong. Released today.

Meh
#gohawks
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Still not a lot of details to be found, but it sounds like the library is the plan along with residential, office and retail including a grocery store.