Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Re: Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

mcarch wrote:Where are our office, retail, hotel, and residential buildings in one?
No kidding.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Just lots of wasted space.
#gohawks
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

But we can’t expect much this is still Omaha Ne.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MTO wrote:But we can’t expect much this is still Omaha Ne.
Inferiority complex? Still??..

Sheesh guys, get a grip...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like they seeded this lot. Let's hope it's just to keep dust down until they start and not a sign of a longer term wait.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Wallstreet eat your heart out.

15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Something obviously needed here from the planning department.
Approval of an Amendment to the
DOWNTOWN NORTHEAST REDEVELOPMENT PLAN to expand the Plan Area

LOCATION: An area generally bounded by Chicago Street on the north, 17th Street on the east, Dodge Street on the south and 20th Street on the west
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Maybe this is related to the proposed refurbishment of the building on 18th & Dodge?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'm wondering if it has more to do with redeveloping this area? And making the interstate exit end up on Chicago?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (204.09 KiB) Viewed 6399 times
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I really think this was a great opportunity to restore the street grid and split this in to multiple plots per block and allow the area to develop organically / by the market.

I'm not sure there's a more disappointing development in Omaha, including the planned freeway widening to subsidize increased sprawl.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

RUMOR: from a source I trust, there is a major Omaha employer with no presence in downtown currently that will occupy the office component of this project. He declined to say who they were but said it will be major news. He didn't not know of that meant more height than the most recent site plan. He said hundreds of employees and that the company occupies multiple locations throughout the metro.

This is vague, I know, but I have a pretty good track record om here so I hope I'm given the benifit of the doubt.

I'm going to work on finding out more. :D
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:RUMOR: from a source I trust, there is a major Omaha employer with no presence in downtown currently that will occupy the office component of this project. He declined to say who they were but said it will be major news. He didn't not know of that meant more height than the most recent site plan. He said hundreds of employees and that the company occupies multiple locations throughout the metro.

This is vague, I know, but I have a pretty good track record om here so I hope I'm given the benifit of the doubt.

So no Kiewit, Mutual, First Data.... I know West Corp is having issues, so would they have the stability to move to a downtown office? Perhaps CHI? Valmont? CSG just built their new campus.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Garrett wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:RUMOR: from a source I trust, there is a major Omaha employer with no presence in downtown currently that will occupy the office component of this project. He declined to say who they were but said it will be major news. He didn't not know of that meant more height than the most recent site plan. He said hundreds of employees and that the company occupies multiple locations throughout the metro.

So no Kiewit, Mutual, First Data.... I know West Corp is having issues, so would they have the stability to move to a downtown office? Perhaps CHI? Valmont? CSG just built their new campus.
Why "no First Data"? They've got hundreds of people scattered around town, and I'm not aware of any downtown location.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have also heard this vague rumor. Same M.O. A company scattered throughout Omaha wanting a presence downtown...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

zippy wrote:
Garrett wrote:

Why "no First Data"? They've got hundreds of people scattered around town, and I'm not aware of any downtown location.
First Data's larger locations are production related, and wouldn't likely move to an office tower.
No posts exist for this topic
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

zippy wrote:
Garrett wrote:

My mistake. I thought First Data still had a location in CPP.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Still doing some homework here, but I'm told this mystery office user is 250k sf +. No name yet.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Still doing some homework here, but I'm told this mystery office user is 250k sf +. No name yet.
Huh larger than both HDR and Kiewit. Interesting to see what company this may end up being.
Last edited by iamjacobm on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Still doing some homework here, but I'm told this mystery office user is 250k sf +. No name yet.
Huh larger than both GDR and Kiewit. Interesting to see what company this may end up being.

The German Democratic Republic has a presence in Omaha? :shock: So that's where they really went after the Cold War....

:mrgreen:
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

The story that I have heard is that it is First Data who has expressed interest. There have been some some conversations with them, Tetrad and the city but things got a little sideways when one of the mayor's trusted people left to take a job with Tetrad. Now the mayor is upset and who knows where it goes from here?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Super, another ego war with a major potential downtown employer hanging in the balance.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If that is indeed what holds up a major employer moving to a new development downtown that would be pretty pathetic.
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

I think the mayor absolutely wants to make something happen at the site by bringing First Data or some employer like that downtown. I don't think the employee leaving kills the deal but it may result in bringing in a new developer for the project. I don't think the Scott Family really cares at this point if Tetrad is involved or not. I think the mayor is probably talking with them now about how to move forward and my guess would be that a new developer takes over the project.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

If the employer in this latest scenario is First Data..

All I can say, is that it has been a well guarded internal corporate secret.. Our friend Catherine must be getting scoop from inside- most likely the mayors office/City Hall :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:If the employer in this latest scenario is First Data..

All I can say, is that it has been a well guarded internal corporate secret.. Our friend Catherine must be getting scoop from inside- most likely the mayors office/City Hall :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I won't doubt it, but I am wondering what all they would move downtown. There aren't a "huge" amount of what you would think as traditional office workers...for building that size. Lots and lots of call center folks and production folks though, doubt they ever move production.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I won't doubt it, but I am wondering what all they would move downtown. There aren't a "huge" amount of what you would think as traditional office workers...for building that size. Lots and lots of call center folks and production folks though, doubt they ever move production.
Very true- There are plenty of call center and production employees peppered through about 7 Locations in Omaha.. This is not so much the case at their corporate Omaha “HQ” campus at AkSarBen Village.. It’ll be interesting to see if this rumor grows legs...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Very true- There are plenty of call center and production employees peppered through about 7 Locations in Omaha.. This is not so much the case at their corporate Omaha “HQ” campus at AkSarBen Village.. It’ll be interesting to see if this rumor grows legs...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Well, the call center folks are at the Pacific street location (south west building on the corner) and the old mill-ish location if I remember correctly. Those I could see moving to a building downtown depending on the layout. The production floors, however, have a lot of security requirements and heavy machinery, I doubt those move.

Makes sense though, FD is looking to consolidate their footprint....

Hmm.
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

The FDR Campus on 72nd & Pacific has been purchased for UNO Campus expansion. City offering FDR a really good deal to move to Civic site and seems like FDR pretty excited about the offer. Mayor really wants to make this happen. Some FDR people who are not decision makers but somewhat in-th-know feel like it will likely happen.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Awesome intel! Fingers crossed.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well no high rises then. Bummer.
15-17, 26, 32
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

MTO wrote:Well no high rises then. Bummer.
Legit don't know that yet. Rumor has been 250k sf+. HDRs downtown plan was only 180k. Unless you're trying reverse psychology :D
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Friends- FDR to downtown must be the most tightly lipped corporate hush-hush in the modern era.. The intel we’re getting here has to be leaked from mayors office/city hall..

That said, it all boils down to FDR CEO (NYC bred and current resident) Frankie B.. And whether he signs off on a corporate commitment to downtown Omaha.. As far as *if* it happens, would FDR build high? Lol.. I highly doubt it..

We shall see...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Would they move the servers located in the building at 7305 Pacific? I don't think they could...so they would need to keep that building. They also have 7302 Pacific, and then Starwood which are production facilities, and I don't think those would move (as stated before). The only leaves the one Aksarben building, the old mill location, and the 7301 building which is attached to 7305.

This all just seems strange to me, but hey.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Even though FDR sold the 6902 Pine Street building to UNO, it is still occupied by FDR folks. Between that building and 6855 Pacific, they've got about 480k SQ feet, according to the Assessor.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

zippy wrote:Even though FDR sold the 6902 Pine Street building to UNO, it is still occupied by FDR folks.
UNO has the building, but they agreed to transition the building off gradually over 3 years. FDR is to be completely moved out by next year.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

FirebirdEngineer wrote:
zippy wrote:Even though FDR sold the 6902 Pine Street building to UNO, it is still occupied by FDR folks.
UNO has the building, but they agreed to transition the building off gradually over 3 years. FDR is to be completely moved out by next year.
This is correct...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Those folks were being phased to other buildings and or phased out by the time I left the company. Kinda wonder how many are still left in 6902. Also, A LOT of space in those buildings was not being used.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not sure how many people still work in the buildings, but the parking lots are full every day.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote:Not sure how many people still work in the buildings, but the parking lots are full every day.
6855 is 100% all FDR, all four floors..

6902 is in transition and FDR will be out of that building completely by next year...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

I've heard that the people who work in the mailing facilities will not relocate downtown. That is a pretty substantial number I think, but FD employs about 5k in Omaha, so the number of people moving downtown will still be significant.