Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Post by skinzfan23 »

Any idea on the amount of space that they would occupy?
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I would imagine almost the entire office portion. They have their two buildings on dodge full and then have other people spread out all over the city.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Anyone know how many they employ in Omaha?
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Almost 1000
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

lmdramos wrote:Almost 1000
Wow I didn't realize there were that many.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Ok, here's all I know so far.... My understanding is HDR is heavily involved in talks with the owners of that project and that they would move the entire Omaha operation downtown. I've heard that some people who live out west are already complaining about having to drive DT. I thought they owned their buildings at 84th and Dodge, and I may have misinterpreted this, but I was told their HQ lease expires in 2019 and they want to be downtown by 2020 and that they want to "make a permanent splash" downtown. I was told there are approx. 1200 employees between their buildings on 84th and Dodge plus the buildings they lease near Westroads. I would have to imagine, given that number of employees and the footprints of their current buildings, that they would occupy the vast majority of the office tower.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I bet you Methodist Health System would buy/lease HDR's current campus in a heartbeat. Their current corporate offices are very old and quite dumpy, and their medical office building is the most awkwardly and nonsensically laid out building I've ever seen.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

HDR would be an awesome addition to downtown, and I think it would be a great fit for their image, and Omaha's.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Plus, they could build to suit, which I am sure they would jump all over.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Don't forget, over in this thread we are betting where they all end up.

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

Coyote wrote:Plus, they could build to suit, which I am sure they would jump all over.
Do you think its that big of a deal that they could get a build to suit? I guess maybe with an architecture firm maybe the answer is yes, but TI's are there to attract tenants to already-existing spaces that need new build outs.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Commissioner Stothert on the Grow Omaha podcast touched on this, she said they have a RFP out for demo now and implied maybe this year demo could start she also said due to the size of the facility it would take a couple years for demo. "Duh".
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

She mentioned moving the library to this project is still possible.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah let's demo the main branch and expand the park.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't see that happening. Odds are the city would RFP that out in ~2020 and try and get a highrise right there.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Meh expand the park, can always build high rises around it.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:I don't see that happening. Odds are the city would RFP that out in ~2020 and try and get a highrise right there.
That's the one place I don't think they should have a high rise. It'd render the design of CPP useless.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Looks the info on HDR was accurate:

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/ops ... f6fe5.html

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I think you meant to post this article...

http://www.omaha.com/money/hdr-to-build ... 5d091.html
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, that would be great news. Let the speculation begin. If they were to build at the Civic site and share a building, it could be a pretty massive building.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I hope the city is making an effort for the civic. Either site is a win but we don't get opportunities like this often.
15-17, 26, 32
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

I'm admittedly a height junkie, so I'm hoping HDR spurs the Lanoha Tower. HDR + additional leasing by Union Pacific would hopefully get it built. The Civic site relies more on residential, the grocery store, etc. so I would hope that the office portion could be done a little further down the road and be occupied by a larger number of smaller offices.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

NEDodger wrote:I'm admittedly a height junkie, so I'm hoping HDR spurs the Lanoha Tower. HDR + additional leasing by Union Pacific would hopefully get it built. The Civic site relies more on residential, the grocery store, etc. so I would hope that the office portion could be done a little further down the road and be occupied by a larger number of smaller offices.
Your reasoning is sound, but HDR is already the Architect for Tertrad/Civic project and they need to be in by 2019. It's highly likely that would be their chosen spot, if they choose to go downtown. The concept for the Lanoha Tower already is being developed by Tack Architects. Extra space for UP makes a lot of sense for that site in the Lanoha Tower though, since it's right across the street from UP. Why not hope for high-rises on both sites?

HDR probably prefers large floor plates for their departments, so they probably wouldn't be looking to occupy too many separate floors of a skinny high-rise,...no more than 10 floors max I would say, probably less. Something like a current UP-sized floor plate would suit them well, I imagine.

The big question is whether HDR will make the move downtown. With all of the traffic congestion out west, and considering how spread-out the neighborhoods are, I don't think commute times would be much different wherever they go. The lack of parking complaint doesn't really hold water anymore, especially when they can build sufficient garage parking into their new development. They have quite a bit of garage parking now. Of course garage parking is more expensive. Mass transit will always be focused on downtown, so it should be easier to get downtown if they wanted to encourage mass transit. The trend among design firms and their younger employees seems to favor higher density urban settings, so I'm hopeful they'll go into Tetrad downtown. (fingers crossed)
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

So here's the unasked question. Who moves into HDR's current space?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

NovakOmaha wrote:So here's the unasked question. Who moves into HDR's current space?
Children's and/or Methodist? ...or multiple other smaller businesses into HDR's existing buildings?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I have a source that tells me Methodist has been eyeing those offices for sometime. They told me that before any mentions of HDR relocating. My guess is they'll have no problem filling them back up.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

This is probably the last home grown opportunity for a company backed high rise. Hopefully they go downtown...but I have a feeling it's going to be a Kiewit esque campus out on 192nd.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:This is probably the last home grown opportunity for a company backed high rise. Hopefully they go downtown...but I have a feeling it's going to be a Kiewit esque campus out on 192nd.
Kiewit?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I would bet this is the front runner. Tons of parking, designed by them, being developed by a company they do a lot of work with. They would be a great company to take half of the tower, even put an HDR on top. If it is this property they will have to start demo soon to get it done by the 2019 deadline. Stothert said demo will take years and they will need to count the time to build after that.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:This is probably the last home grown opportunity for a company backed high rise. Hopefully they go downtown...but I have a feeling it's going to be a Kiewit esque campus out on 192nd.
Kiewit?
He might mean ConAgra.

For a campus, they could buy ConAgra's 500+ acres they still own up by N72nd & Bennington/McKinley. I can't really see them going there...too far from the action. If I had to bet, it would be Civic/Tetrad. I don't think the mayor really knows how long it will take to tear down the Civic...although it might still have asbestos. 6-monthss seems more likely to me. Maybe they will save the parking garage.

I think HDR could really attract a lot of new talent over the long haul if they build downtown. Hard to say which way they'll go.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

GetUrban wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Kiewit?
He might mean ConAgra.

For a campus, they could buy ConAgra's 500+ acres they still own up by N72nd & Bennington/McKinley. I can't really see them going there...too far from the action. If I had to bet, it would be Civic/Tetrad. I don't think the mayor really knows how long it will take to tear down the Civic...although it might still have asbestos. 6-monthss seems more likely to me. Maybe they will save the parking garage.

I think HDR could really attract a lot of new talent over the long haul if they build downtown. Hard to say which way they'll go.

Sorry, I should have probably used a better term than "campus", as it's just a building...but I'm referring to the rather large non-tall building of Kiewit's off of like 127th and I Street. You know, a typical suburban office building.
No posts exist for this topic
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

What are HDR's corporate colors?
15-17, 26, 32
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Ate lunch with a friend from Kewit and where talking about the HDR article. He mentioned that Crossroads is one of the sites HDR is looking at.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That would be a good spot too. The article mentioned the area between MTC and 480 as well.

Heck maybe they could even anchor the redevelopment of the Omaha Steel plant.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:What are HDR's corporate colors?
They used to be white and burgundy, but now I think it's white and gray.

As for who will take their old office, I could see Methodist or Children's taking it for sure. Methodist's current corporate offices and medical office buildings are old and in pretty sad shape.

The Bride
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Methodist/Children's has eyed and even presented offers for HDR's current space. This will be likely the tenant that moves in.

As far as a decision... my father is now retired from the firm, however, has many connections. Everytime I see him, I always ask. As soon as he "hears" something, I'll definitely update you all.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MSizlack wrote:Ate lunch with a friend from Kewit and where talking about the HDR article. He mentioned that Crossroads is one of the sites HDR is looking at.

That would probably be the kick start Crossroads needs to really get going.

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Either way it's greate to see a company consider the future BRT/LR system in their future plans. Is it a new Paralympic I hope so and I hope all those new HQs not on the system feel a little crunchy when installation begins.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Trenton blurbed he thinks HDR will go down by the ballpark I assume he is referring to the civic site. But you'd think the civic site has enough gravitas to not be mentioned as near the ballpark. Could it be a North Downtown HQ or could it be wishful thinking.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:Trenton blurbed he thinks HDR will go down by the ballpark I assume he is referring to the civic site. But you'd think the civic site has enough gravitas to not be mentioned as near the ballpark. Could it be a North Downtown HQ or could it be wishful thinking.
That could be really interesting...