Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Post by daveoma »

Catherine33 wrote:And I will throw in one more I think you will like Omaha Cowboy... Lot B Condo Tower, nobody cares anymore what MECA thinks or wants.
I really hope this is true and I'm really glad that nobody cares about MECA :clap:
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Linkin5 wrote:I'm picturing Catherine feverishly posting while smoking bath salts.
Haha, THANK YOU! With all due respect, I was starting to think I was the only sane one on here. Kiewit and Mutual....sharing the same HQ building? Haha....whaaaaat?!?
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

buildomaha wrote:What are we meaning by high rise?... Is this supposed to be a FNB competitor or another UP or WH building... Because if its not something great, it will be a HUGE waste of space, time, and money.
In this instance, "high rise" means a b.s. story created for attention / to get everyone up in a frenzy.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:I'm picturing Catherine feverishly posting while smoking bath salts.
So...we're not supposed to do that? I see... :(
No posts exist for this topic
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I'm picturing myself reading each of Catherine's posts and doing a line a coke. They each just make me so excited!
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Printing off Catherine's posts, rolling them up and smoking them is enough to get me high!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Friends, lets give Catherine33 a break, okay? I understand everyone's skepticism..

But she obviously has some Intel to share and I, for one, am interested in hearing more of it; and enjoy her periodic updates..

And for the record, early on after the HDR/downtown sh!t storm, she was dead on accurate about HDR locating at Ak Village..

Thanks! :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

Bath Salts no way... maybe an occasional muscle relaxer though!

These deals are done long before the greater public hears about them. Now you can choose to believe me or not and I will be more clear this time.
The library is moving to the Civic site. There will be a tower at the current library site. There will be other very exciting things happening downtown.
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

Cowboy, one more just for you again... light rail happening. Med Center, Zoo, Capitol District.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Catherine33 wrote:Cowboy, one more just for you again... light rail happening. Med Center, Zoo, Capitol District.

...in 2055.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I would like to believe Catherine....but i will wait and see i suppose. Those are all very ambitious...
Go Cubs Go
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Even the Magic 8-Ball could have picked HDR to Ak-Sar-Ben. But even though I am new here myself, I agree that you should treat others how you would want to be treated.
Attachments
magic_geek_ball-5240999.jpg
magic_geek_ball-5240999.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Catherine33 wrote:Cowboy, one more just for you again... light rail happening. Med Center, Zoo, Capitol District.
If this happens and you hit the trifecta Catherine33, I'll be convinced we have the modern day Nostradamus..

Right here in the Big O :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

choke wrote:Even the Magic 8-Ball could have picked HDR to Ak-Sar-Ben. But even though I am new here myself, I agree that you should treat others how you would want to be treated.
That is very funny and very creative choke, lol...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Catherine33 wrote:Bath Salts no way... maybe an occasional muscle relaxer though!

These deals are done long before the greater public hears about them. Now you can choose to believe me or not and I will be more clear this time.
The library is moving to the Civic site. There will be a tower at the current library site. There will be other very exciting things happening downtown.
Hey I mean you've given me no reason to disbelieve you yet. You haven't pulled a Europeane Village yet.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mystikbrian »

Can anyone confirm the contract between the city and tetrad for the new development? I'm getting conflicting information.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Got some authentic Omaha Civic Auditorium bricks/rubble today. I was talking to one of the guys on the demolition crew today and he said they are thinking they will be there through February cleaning up.

ImageIMG_20161114_170958051 by Jon, on Flickr
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Which, if their super-quick demo is any indication, means they'll have it done by early January...!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Wall Street 2.0
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:Wall Street 2.0
Put a quarter in the Debbie Downer jar.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That's down right jovial compared to what I was originally going to say.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:That's down right jovial compared to what I was originally going to say.
2 quarters then.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

RNcyanide wrote:
MTO wrote:That's down right jovial compared to what I was originally going to say.
2 quarters then.
:mrgreen:
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

I heard they are gonna rebuild the Civic and it will be mostly concrete.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

choke wrote:
I heard they are gonna rebuild the Civic and it will be mostly concrete.

Here's the latest rendering from Tetrad:
Attachments
civic.jpg
civic.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 2632 times
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

If the city is going to pay to tear down the structure then why not wait to sell the land until after it's down? Tetrad doesn't even have a commitment. What a disaster.

Per Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer
Plans for Civic Auditorium site have changed, mayor says; tower proposal nixed, and more public space eyed
While nothing has been decided, Stothert said there could be a park or other green space on the Civic land
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/plans-f ... d47b6.html
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

choke wrote:If the city is going to pay to tear down the structure then why not wait to sell the land until after it's down? Tetrad doesn't even have a commitment. What a disaster.

Per Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer
Plans for Civic Auditorium site have changed, mayor says; tower proposal nixed, and more public space eyed
While nothing has been decided, Stothert said there could be a park or other green space on the Civic land
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/plans-f ... d47b6.html
More parks or green space downtown? ....exactly what we don't need more of downtown. We already have a public library overlooking green space. :roll: The plans are sketchy at this point, but this doesn't sound encouraging.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

How about a large surface parking lot? I could see that being really successfully in this location. Lol......
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

I Remember Tetrad CEO Zach Wiegert stating he hopes the project will actually grow larger in time and that they will build a 40 story tower if the demand is there. Here we are a few years later looking right down the barrel of a new YMCA building and some landscaped green space. Crazy.....
Last edited by Tornado on Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It's laughable when Stothert says the Civic site has great access to parking and I-480 (as compared to what other downtown sites?) What part of downtown does not also already have this? There are parking garages all over the place, and several ways to access downtown streets from I-480.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Exactly
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Not having a tower of some kind at this site is a waste of space. If one cannot be built now, then let it lay dormant until it can. Greenspace and small buildings are fine near the riverfront, not here.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Green space makes for a fine interim solution while we wait for a more appropriate development.

That being said, I think we need to put a moratorium on any further demolition downtown until the Wall Street/Lanoha and Civic sites are developed. The Gavilon project would have been a much better fit on the Wall Street/Lanoha site, and would have retained the old W-H park a little longer.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

MadMartin8 wrote:Not having a tower of some kind at this site is a waste of space. If one cannot be built now, then let it lay dormant until it can. Greenspace and small buildings are fine near the riverfront, not here.
This is 100% true!!!
#gohawks
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I think this is a huge let down. I don't understand why the mayor gives no explanation for why the original plans fell through. The residents of the city paid for the demolition with the understanding that the structure would be replaced with something better. Plans for a wonderful development have been replaced with speculation. I really wish the mayor would be a leader and use her influence to bring these priests to fruition. If Tetrad is backing out then the city should get someone else to develop the land.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

daveoma wrote:I think this is a huge let down. I don't understand why the mayor gives no explanation for why the original plans fell through. The residents of the city paid for the demolition with the understanding that the structure would be replaced with something better. Plans for a wonderful development have been replaced with speculation. I really wish the mayor would be a leader and use her influence to bring these priests to fruition. If Tetrad is backing out then the city should get someone else to develop the land.
Does the city still own the land? Or did the city sell it to Tetrad and pay for the demolition?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote:Does the city still own the land? Or did the city sell it to Tetrad and pay for the demolition?
IIRC - The city owns the property. A committee of city officials chose Tetrad Property Group to redevelop the site. Tetrad will partner with NuStyle Development Corp., which plans to work with architecture and engineering firm HDR Inc. and with Kiewit Building Group.

This may not be Tetrad's call, but NuStyle...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Time for a clean slate and a new RFP. Not that I expect a high rise but when they say a larger pedestrian component I hear less sq-ft overall. There definitely needs to be a pramanad of sorts but it should also be dense.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MTO wrote:Time for a clean slate and a new RFP. Not that I expect a high rise but when they say a larger pedestrian component I hear less sq-ft overall. There definitely needs to be a pramanad of sorts but it should also be dense.
I agree with you (surprise suprise, lol)..

I also think it's easy to express dissapoinment (as many already have).. but let me ask, is this actually "news" to any of us? I Think we've pretty much already come to the conclusion (at least I had) that the Tetrad tower proposal had been nixed etc etc..

What I will do is wait and see. This may turn out to be a satisfying and happy development all around..

I'm not dissapointed at all. Just very, VERY curious about how this and several other "related" developments will shake out. There could be a domino effect here..

I'm going to let "positive anticipation" not "gloom and doom" rule the roost :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
MTO wrote:Time for a clean slate and a new RFP. Not that I expect a high rise but when they say a larger pedestrian component I hear less sq-ft overall. There definitely needs to be a pramanad of sorts but it should also be dense.
I agree with you (surprise suprise, lol)..

I also think it's easy to express dissapoinment (as many already have).. but let me ask, is this actually "news" to any of us? I Think we've pretty much already come to the conclusion (at least I had) that the Tetrad tower proposal had been nixed etc etc..

What I will do is wait and see. This may turn out to be a satisfying and happy development all around..

I'm not dissapointed at all. Just very, VERY curious about how this and several other "related" developments will shake out. There could be a domino effect here..

I'm going to let "positive anticipation" not "gloom and doom" rule the roost :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I think the disappointment here is that it sounds like the issue is being forced. I can see the library moving but no, not the Y or the Children's Museum. Nor do we need anymore green space downtown. So, if the library can't be moved then let the city just hold on to the land until something that makes sense can be built there. heck, HDR could of been built there. They got an extension to their current lease. What a bunch of |expletive|. I'm going with doom and gloom.