Civic Square (former Civic Auditorium)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Tetrad Development (Civic Auditorium)

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Catherine33 wrote:I think that the civic site will partially be used to relocate the Downtown library. The city really wants a new library and I know that many developers really covet the site of the existing library. I do not think either location will lay dormant. I do not thing a high rise at the civic location is being looked at anymore. The existing library site is the most coveted space in downtown Omaha and one of the reasons the mayor wants to free up that spot. Whether Kiewit or Mutual or whoever, they all love that site because you are front and center for every picture/video of Omaha that goes out to the world. If that site becomes available you should expect big things to take place at that location.
I'm with Catherine on this one...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:I think that the civic site will partially be used to relocate the Downtown library. The city really wants a new library and I know that many developers really covet the site of the existing library. I do not think either location will lay dormant. I do not thing a high rise at the civic location is being looked at anymore. The existing library site is the most coveted space in downtown Omaha and one of the reasons the mayor wants to free up that spot. Whether Kiewit or Mutual or whoever, they all love that site because you are front and center for every picture/video of Omaha that goes out to the world. If that site becomes available you should expect big things to take place at that location.

Ciao..LiO...Peace
x3. My $.02, library goes here, rest of block becomes mixed use. current library site=signature development.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

almighty_tuna wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
x3. My $.02, library goes here, rest of block becomes mixed use. current library site=signature development.
We have a win all around.. and the added benefit of a post from my old friend Tuna.. what's not to like :mrgreen: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

As long as they duplicate Do Space. The group that developed/supports Do Space hit the nail on the head as to what a modern library should be.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Exterior is gone, just a bit of the structure left.
Attachments
IMG_3149.JPG
IMG_3149.JPG (149.27 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

How do they get the work done so fast? Do they just have guys up there with torches and plasma cutters chopping up the beams, which are then immediately loaded onto trailers to be hauled away? That was a pretty big pile of steel last week.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Lets send these guys over to Crossroads Mall when they're done.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Wall Street 2.0, Woot woot
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

yellowcolumbia wrote:Exterior is gone, just a bit of the structure left.
IMG_3149.JPG
IMG_3149.JPG (149.27 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
Probably because it looks like there were able to just pick it up and shake it upside down!
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:How do they get the work done so fast? Do they just have guys up there with torches and plasma cutters chopping up the beams, which are then immediately loaded onto trailers to be hauled away? That was a pretty big pile of steel last week.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

nebugeater wrote:Probably because it looks like there were able to just pick it up and shake it upside down!
You cannot add administrators and moderators to your foes list.

Darn.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Probably because it looks like there were able to just pick it up and shake it upside down!
You cannot add administrators and moderators to your foes list.

Darn.

:mrgreen:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

From channel 6...

"In its place a development company will launch a $300 million project that will include a large tower, office space, retail space, and a civic component like a library."
Go Cubs Go
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

thenewguy wrote:From channel 6...

"In its place a development company will launch a $300 million project that will include a large tower, office space, retail space, and a civic component like a library."
Probably from the info from when the project was announced.

I still really think some height will be involved here. It might not meet everyone's standard for "highrise" but I think the economies of scale here are going to demand going above 10 floors on a portion of the land. We will see in due time I suppose.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

The Cap District just added a whole lot of apartments downtown. Office space is aplenty. I'd be prepared to watch the weeds grow on this one. I'm sure the city will be tossin' and turnin' over it. You know Stothert wants the library moved there badly, for which I don't blame her. You'd be a damn fool to pass up having your HQ at the head of Central Park Mall and your company name beaming on every Omaha "Holiday Lights" postcard, refrigerator magnet, etc.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We will see.
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:How do they get the work done so fast? Do they just have guys up there with torches and plasma cutters chopping up the beams, which are then immediately loaded onto trailers to be hauled away? That was a pretty big pile of steel last week.
The 4-5 guys in their excavators move their machines really really well. One was basically pulling everything down and passing the steel to guy behind him. He would either just pull the trusses apart at the connections, or use a set of massive jaws to cut through the steel. The others have been piling all the debris and loading up trucks. Very little torch work other than when they pulled the equipment out like the boilers.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

choke wrote:The Cap District just added a whole lot of apartments downtown. Office space is aplenty. I'd be prepared to watch the weeds grow on this one. I'm sure the city will be tossin' and turnin' over it. You know Stothert wants the library moved there badly, for which I don't blame her. You'd be a darn fool to pass up having your HQ at the head of Central Park Mall and your company name beaming on every Omaha "Holiday Lights" postcard, refrigerator magnet, etc.
Agreed. This site will sit empty for a long while, probably even longer than Capitol did.
No posts exist for this topic
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

In addition to the downtown library, I'm hearing that both the Omaha Children's Museum and Downtown YMCA are thinking about moving to the new Civic Auditorium/Tetrad site. That could be a real jump start for that development. Also, Catherine is right -- there is serious interest in putting a corporate headquarters building on the current site of the downtown library. If that happens, the Nebraska State Office building may be demolished in order to build a parking garage supporting the new office building.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I bet you they could just gut that SOB and make it into a parking structure as is!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Or one heck of a sandlot.
15-17, 26, 32
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

yellowcolumbia wrote:
The 4-5 guys in their excavators move their machines really really well. One was basically pulling everything down and passing the steel to guy behind him. He would either just pull the trusses apart at the connections, or use a set of massive jaws to cut through the steel. The others have been piling all the debris and loading up trucks. Very little torch work other than when they pulled the equipment out like the boilers.
This was a huge building. Where did all of the debris get sent?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

MadJack wrote:In addition to the downtown library, I'm hearing that both the Omaha Children's Museum and Downtown YMCA are thinking about moving to the new Civic Auditorium/Tetrad site. That could be a real jump start for that development. Also, Catherine is right -- there is serious interest in putting a corporate headquarters building on the current site of the downtown library. If that happens, the Nebraska State Office building may be demolished in order to build a parking garage supporting the new office building.
Well, not saying that would be a bad idea, but you would have to build a new State Office Building first, before the existing building could be removed. Maybe where HDR was going to go? Or the Wall Street block?
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

nativeomahan wrote:
MadJack wrote:In addition to the downtown library, I'm hearing that both the Omaha Children's Museum and Downtown YMCA are thinking about moving to the new Civic Auditorium/Tetrad site. That could be a real jump start for that development. Also, Catherine is right -- there is serious interest in putting a corporate headquarters building on the current site of the downtown library. If that happens, the Nebraska State Office building may be demolished in order to build a parking garage supporting the new office building.
Well, not saying that would be a bad idea, but you would have to build a new State Office Building first, before the existing building could be removed. Maybe where HDR was going to go? Or the Wall Street block?
I think a new state office building would fit in well on the HDR site. The old UP site would be an odd place to build the office which would at the max be 7 stories.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
bmt
Home Owners Association

Post by bmt »

Why would the state office need their own new building? Their building now is 2 or 3 stories? And they used to share it with kiewit. Wouldn't it be more practical to just move to some currently available office space?
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

bmt wrote:Why would the state office need their own new building? Their building now is 2 or 3 stories? And they used to share it with kiewit. Wouldn't it be more practical to just move to some currently available office space?
Yeah, building a new building would be a waste. They could just move into Landmark for a quarter of the price.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Wowzers.. pretty much completely gone..

Swift and quick.. Library anyone? :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Looks like just a bit of the arena floor is left...and the convention space under it.
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

nativeomahan wrote:
If it happens, the state of Nebraska would most likely not construct a new building; they would simply lease space in existing downtown buildings.
MadJack
Home Owners Association

Post by MadJack »

MadJack wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
If it happens, the state of Nebraska would most likely not construct a new building; they would simply lease space in existing downtown buildings.
Oh, and I should have mentioned, the state was looking at leasing space in Central Park Plaza twin towers if all of this were to happen.
Imissomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Imissomaha »

Glad for the progress, but it's kind of sad to see the Civic gone. I remember my first circus in 1961 , Harlem Globe Trotters, Omaha KC Kings basketball and on an on. Oh well.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Imissomaha wrote:Glad for the progress, but it's kind of sad to see the Civic gone. I remember my first circus in 1961 , Harlem Globe Trotters, Omaha KC Kings basketball and on an on. Oh well.
It was kinda sad when Korver was in town for the game and he said that he didn't know that is was being torn down. He had 4 great years in that building and wasn't expecting to see it as rubble.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Imissomaha wrote:Glad for the progress, but it's kind of sad to see the Civic gone. I remember my first circus in 1961 , Harlem Globe Trotters, Omaha KC Kings basketball and on an on. Oh well.

Absolutely. I share many of your same memories, plus a heck of a lot of concerts.
Welcome to the forum!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Well, according to the mayor, the highrise has been scrapped from the plans; surprise, surprise. Now, Tetrad is going to have a more civic component for the site which I am guessing will be the library. CONAgra is gone, West Corp. is on the way out, the UP site is barren, the riverfront is full of lead, Crossroads is a pipe dream and the Holland Center isn't expanding although it couldn't afford to give up the parking lot to HDR. Merry Christmas!

http://studio.omaha.com/Ten-Minutes-Wit ... d-31591018
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I really hope the state office building moves there so it can be bulldozed and replaced with something else.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Stothert did emphasize a strong civic component.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

daveoma wrote:I really hope the state office building moves there so it can be bulldozed and replaced with something else.
For what a five story building.
15-17, 26, 32
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

Kiewit Tower at current library site.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Catherine33 wrote:Kiewit Tower at current library site.
I think we have a winner :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Five floors is a tower in this city.
15-17, 26, 32