Rows on South Hill (Johnston & Son Funeral Home)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Rows on South Hill (Johnston & Son Funeral Home)

Post by Brad »

Second Floor is going up today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

First building istopped out, wrap going on the exterion, and the public improvements to the street are under way. Looks like they are getting "back-in" angle parking.
yard salad
Home Owners Association

Post by yard salad »

as a frequent bike commuter I love all the back-in angle parking the city is building. it's much safer to ride past parked cars!
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

yard salad wrote:as a frequent bike commuter I love all the back-in angle parking the city is building. it's much safer to ride past parked cars!
I use to live in the art decos at park ave which have it and I really dig it. Easier to back in to a parking spot than to back out into a street.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I disagree. While there is the issue of backing out partially blind from some "normal" diagonal parking spots, there is never a difficulty in judging the angle with which you pull into or out of those spaces. Not so with reverse parking spaces.
I try to avoid both options, and so far have totally avoided these backward parking areas.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I love back-in angle parking. I know we don't have a lot of retail on the street here, but it works so much better loading things in the trunk and is way safer pulling out. It might be a little harder to pull in, but the more comfortable people get the easier it will become. It is still easier than parallel parking for most people.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coming along vert nicely :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Not to contribute to derailing this discussion, but I'm also a big fan of back-in angle parking. Backing in to perpendicular parking is safer too, and unless I need to load or unload bulky stuff from the trunk, I generally back into typical surface-lot spaces too. It's a simple matter of doing the visually obscured operation (backing up) into a known vacant space, and then having clear visibility for pulling out into traffic. For those not used to backing up (I got my experience backing farm equipment into tight spaces), it is a very different skill, but after some practice, it's a lot safer overall.
Phillip
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Phillip »

Seth wrote:Not to contribute to derailing this discussion, but I'm also a big fan of back-in angle parking. Backing in to perpendicular parking is safer too, and unless I need to load or unload bulky stuff from the trunk, I generally back into typical surface-lot spaces too. It's a simple matter of doing the visually obscured operation (backing up) into a known vacant space, and then having clear visibility for pulling out into traffic. For those not used to backing up (I got my experience backing farm equipment into tight spaces), it is a very different skill, but after some practice, it's a lot safer overall.
I'm in the process of purchasing one of these homes. As far as the back-in parking goes, as a driver, I don't like it. Having to wait for people who aren't used to doing it is irritating. Maybe it won't be much of an issue on 10th street. I guess like anything, I'll get used to it.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Phillip wrote:
Seth wrote:Not to contribute to derailing this discussion, but I'm also a big fan of back-in angle parking. Backing in to perpendicular parking is safer too, and unless I need to load or unload bulky stuff from the trunk, I generally back into typical surface-lot spaces too. It's a simple matter of doing the visually obscured operation (backing up) into a known vacant space, and then having clear visibility for pulling out into traffic. For those not used to backing up (I got my experience backing farm equipment into tight spaces), it is a very different skill, but after some practice, it's a lot safer overall.
I'm in the process of purchasing one of these homes. As far as the back-in parking goes, as a driver, I don't like it. Having to wait for people who aren't used to doing it is irritating. Maybe it won't be much of an issue on 10th street. I guess like anything, I'll get used to it.
Will yours have a rooftop deck with a view?
Phillip
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Phillip »

daveoma wrote:
Phillip wrote:
It will. I think all of the first phase units have a rooftop deck. I'm visiting Omaha next week to pick out the final finishes.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Phillip wrote:
daveoma wrote:
Phillip wrote:
It will. I think all of the first phase units have a rooftop deck. I'm visiting Omaha next week to pick out the final finishes.
Awesome! Share details please :-)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Gotta love the pace here. Already putting brick on the facade.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Aerial Photo update:

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I love that second one. Great shot of downtown.
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Very nice! Thank you for the photos Coyote!
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

The model unit / sales office is almost done. They have plans on occupying the space, and moving out of their temporary sales office on 11th st end of the month..
OmaLinc
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OmaLinc »

Progress.

“When distance and convenience sets in; the small, the various and the personal wither away.”
― Jane Jacobs
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That looks like it is going to be fun trying to access the garages.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF request for the 6 additional units off of 12th and Briggs.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ary/10.pdf