Gifford Park Redevelopment

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Gifford Park Redevelopment

Post by SaveOmaha »

Does anyone know what's being developed on the corner of 34th and Davenport? A house was recently torn down, and there is now a foundation for what looks to be an apartment building.

Also, down the street on 32nd Ave and Davenport, one of the old frat houses is boarded up.

Any ideas?
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Gifford Park Redevelopment

Post by Varsity »

Not sure about the apartment building..

The old Sig Ep frat house is vacant and boarded up due the the CU chapter not being able to pay the rent recently. The impression I got when talking to a member was that Sig Ep nationals has claimed it. All word of mouth, but I don't think it's been sold or will be up for sale, at least not for a while.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Hmm. Well there is a sign up that says it was financed by Mutual of Omaha Bank.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Gateway to Gifford Park Townhomes.

http://www.engineeredproperty.com/listi ... n-midtown/

Four townhome units with two stall garages behind. No other information beyond that unfortunately.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice find! Those fit the architecture of the homes in the area nicely.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Definitely. They'll be replacing the house that was at 34th and Davenport (I missed that the original post asked about two different properties).
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Always nice to see well-fitting infill development.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Anyone else been to the Gifford Park Neighborhood Market? I happened upon it one Friday evening and it looks like a great community event. I need to get down there before the end for the summer.
midtowndeveloper
New to the Neighborhood

Post by midtowndeveloper »

iamjacobm wrote:Nice find! Those fit the architecture of the homes in the area nicely.

Do you know what happened to this project? The sign says "Fall 2015" and since last summer the foundation has just been sitting there...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

midtowndeveloper wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Nice find! Those fit the architecture of the homes in the area nicely.
Do you know what happened to this project? The sign says "Fall 2015" and since last summer the foundation has just been sitting there...
It is still listed on Engineered Property's development page.

The most recent renderings:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.03 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.7 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

The sign has been removed recently.
midtowndeveloper
New to the Neighborhood

Post by midtowndeveloper »

frankt wrote:The sign has been removed recently.
i love over there...and i thought I saw the sign just knocked over. But literally no work has been done for over a year. Hate seeing an abandoned construction project!
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

There was a story about this development in the Gifford Park neighborhood newsletter mentioning that TIF was not approved and now the developer is looking for a partner to help with the financing.
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

The project at 34th and Davenport has restarted. They put up the structure in less than 5 days. Looks pretty bleak, if you ask me.
20161022_122327.jpg
20161022_122327.jpg (123.58 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

There was a story about this development in the Gifford Park neighborhood newsletter mentioning that TIF was not approved and now the developer is looking for a partner to help with the financing.
Why would TIF not have been approved? Seems like TIF gets approved for just about everything so I'm curious on the grounds for denial?
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lillian Bean wrote:
Why would TIF not have been approved? Seems like TIF gets approved for just about everything so I'm curious on the grounds for denial?
If you know when they were applying for TIF you can go back and check the City Council Journals/videos and see why they voted no. Would need a date or a do a lot of guess and check though.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Lillian Bean wrote:
You have to grease the right palms and you can get TIF for anything.

I knew someone who had bought a home on about 3 acres of land with no historical value along one of the busiest roads in West Omaha. It was surrounded by apartments and commercial development. He tried for years to get rezoned commercial or even multitenant but the city would never approve it. He had to sell his house and move his family into the run down house on the property because he couldn't develop it. I don't know if he sold it but it still hasn't been developed. My advice to him was to find a sibling or spouse of a elected city official who was a lawyer and hire them.
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

Pitched roof going up
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This project being bundled with another row house project in the area for a TIF request. 11 total new row homes in Gifford Park.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Good to see this moving forward and at least making an attempt to blend into the neighborhood. The closer I look at these attempts at a historic style, the worse they look, though. If they get the proportions right, the details like soffits, trim, etc still stick out. Some of the more recent ones seem to be getting closer, so I'm hopeful.
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

Looks like Gifford Park is getting a coffee shop in 2018 (finally!).

Myrtle & Cypress Coffee House
https://www.facebook.com/myrtleandcypresscoffee/

517 N. 33rd Street
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

After a long wait and a while away I see that this little project at 3320 Davenport is done. Very nice! Below it stated that this was bundled with 7 other town homes, in the area. Where are those at?

Image and there are a lot of interior photos on zillo at Zillo
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They did a few more off of California at 32nd. Same group doing all the row homes south of Leavenworth.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Major renovations at Yates Illuminates made possible by community, ARPA donations

It’s been a community staple in the Gifford Park neighborhood for decades, now Yates Illuminates hopes to shine a new light on immigrant and refugee families.