Nelson Mandela School

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Nelson Mandela School

Post by Coyote »

Don't know if this was mentioned anywhere, but the N 30th St Blessed Sacrament School was sold and is being renovated ($2.7M) into the Nelson Mandela School:

New school going up at Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church Site
Julie Anderson: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Lozier described the purchase price as less than $1 million. It will cost several million dollars to renovate the facility, including air conditioning. The school has big, beautiful classrooms with lots of light. The foundation has retained Holland Basham Architects to work on designs.

The school, which would not charge tuition and would enroll students eligible for free- or reduced-price lunches, aims to start with two sections each of kindergarten and first grade and add a grade annually until it tops out at sixth grade.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Nelson Mandela School

Post by Coyote »

Omaha elementary school unveils mural with purpose
The meerkat is the school mascot. It’s everywhere in the mural.

The unveiling of a schoolhouse mural with purpose. A nationally recognized artist from Omaha collaborated with a number of students for the finished product. As the students ponder the mural in which they are featured along with their ideas they begin to realize just how permanent, and big they look as depicted in art. “I’m on the other side of her with my hands up,” said Jackson Chambers. To Makhai Lamar-Hill, he plans to show it to his kids someday. “And tell them the full story about it,” said Lamar-Hill. Shaniya Black never used to like to color or draw but now she’s been inspired. “We all created it together. We put our brains together and we started it,” said Black. The artist behind the mural is Watie White.

“Not everyone is going to see it, but the ones who do see it will have a longer reward of being curious about what’s in the mural,” said White. He sat down with the students at Nelson Mandela Elementary for a week last fall to brainstorm, creating something from a kid’s perspective. The meerkat is the school mascot. It’s everywhere in the mural. The theme is about the importance of literacy and reading so it’s set in the library. Allen Lozier, the former head of Lozier the fixture company, and a fixture of philanthropy in North Omaha is even spotted in the corner on a rocket. “Have Allen be present without being very visible because Allen wasn’t someone who really wanted a lot of attention and focus on him,” said Tre Brashear, Lozier Foundation. The mural even comes with extra credit, there are letters on certain colors of books in there. Those spell out a secret message created by the youngsters. The Lozier Foundation received a donation to cover the mural. Allen Lozier who’s seen in the mural on the rocket died last year.

“A beautiful mural dedication ceremony took place this morning at Mandela!
Nationally recognized muralist Watie White created the mural in collaboration with several scholars and team members.
Here's what muralist participants Shaniya Black and Jackson Chambers have to say about the experience...
Shaniya: "I feel excited to be on the mural because I think when I’m older, I will want to show my kids and tell them the story of how it was made. It makes me feel special that I was chosen."
Jackson: "I feel cool that I was chosen to be in the mural. It helps me feel connected to the school. When I get older, I want to come back and volunteer, and I’ll see the mural. I can tell the younger kids about the process."
A huge shout out to Watie White, art teacher Jess Davis, and all the board members, administrators, staff, parents, and scholars who were a part of this process.
This mural was made possible by The Lozier Foundation, and is dedicated in memory of Allan Lozier.”
Coyote
City Council

Re: Nelson Mandela School

Post by Coyote »

New mural at Omaha elementary school honors Allan Lozier

The school is the site of a new mural, honoring Allan Lozier, a businessman and philanthropist from North Omaha.