Official: North Downtown Discussion

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Upper Market would be the PERFECT place for a Jimmy John's!! It would have a guaranteed daily customer base with all the Creighton students and the downtown/Old Market residents. Even people from Midtown would probably come that far for Jimmy John's on a daily basis.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I love Jimmy John's. They need 2 locations in Omaha, one for creighton and downtown, and one in Dundee for UNO students. They deliver.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I totally agree, avanzee!

I was just looking at Omaha's council districts map, and is north downtown not in the downtown district? It certainly doesn't appear to be. It looks like it's in district 2, not district 3.

I bet that will all change once that area really takes off and develops a tax base. Then OF COURSE district 3 will want them.
WT
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WT »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
WT wrote:They are two completely separate places that will work together but not on the same night.
Why not on the same night? Of course they will "work" on the same night. They'll both always "work" simultaneously.
Just wanted to clarify what I wrote. What I meant to say is, the same person will not likely use BOTH the new development in North Downtown AND the Old Market in the same night. Streets asked "Why?" It's because we are lazy fat |expletive| Americans. If there was great first floor activity (retail, restaurants, or strip clubs (kidding) in the buildings that would keep the eye busy between the two districts without interuption (Americans, as well as the majority of the human race, also tend to have ADD), then SOME people will use both. I think it is still unlikely unless there is some sort of streetcar or people friendly transit taking you between the two places. Sorry that I did not clarify the first time.
You are right Streets, the two districts will work together simutaneously on the same night. I think that the two districts will compliment each other nicely.
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

My only hope is that the area isn't full of 2 and 3 story buildings. Is the rendering shown going to be exactly how it's laid out now, or is this more or less conceptual at this point?
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The renderings in the study are very conceptual, with the exception of the Tip Top, and the UP Child Care Center. If you look at the artist rendering released with the Saddle Creek Records/Bluestone announcement and the rendering for the same block in the study, they bear no resemblance.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

OmahaChef wrote:The renderings in the study are very conceptual, with the exception of the Tip Top, and the UP Child Care Center. If you look at the artist rendering released with the Saddle Creek Records/Bluestone announcement and the rendering for the same block in the study, they bear no resemblance.
Yes, they had a 2 story building in that site and they got a 2/6 story building. Hopefully that will continue to happen with the other sites. Preferably 6 though. :D
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I agree OmahaDevelopmentMan. Much like in the Old Market Area, I think buildings that are in the 4.5 or 6 story and higher range will give more of an urban feel to North Downtown. Heck, I'd be happy with a few that are 10 stories or more. (OK, I admit it...I am a secret member of the tall buildings addict society) I also hope that North Downtown development follows the suggestions of the Mutual project and Aksarben Village by having building abut sidewalks, with parking in the rear or in parking structures.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

OmahaChef wrote: (OK, I admit it...I am a secret member of the tall buildings addict society) I also hope that North Downtown development follows the suggestions of the Mutual project and Aksarben Village by having building abut sidewalks, with parking in the rear or in parking structures.
It's called the Height Obsessed Club. And I'm the King. ;)

I was watching a movie with NYC recently and one thing I noticed that made smaller buildings look much taller and the place more pedestrian oriented, was having smaller, closer street. Instead of like in the OM where it's diagonal parking with 2 lanes, this was straight :?: parking with about 1 1/2 lanes. I had a real cavernous feel and it looked easier for people to cross and get around the neighborhood.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Welcome to the Height Obsessed Club. You can be the Chef. ;) On street parking seems the be the DT version of sprawl.
DTO
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Me too! I want in.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I don't see any problem with on street parking, in fact it was around long before the automobile came into being. I'd rather park on the street than in a behemoth parking garage. As long as it's done in such a way as to favor pedestrian movement. It should be angled rather than parallel as well. The South Omaha streetscape is one such example of good 'on street' parking.

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I agree jhuston, it just requires good design. And Baltimore and DC have plenty of street parking - just on narrow streets. Although, where I live in DC it can take a while to find parking!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

In case you haven't figured it out by now, I am the executive chef at InPlay Sports and Entertainment/Forte Banquet and Conference Center. The Restaurant Manager at InPlay clued me in to this website, and I only wish I had known about it months and months ago. Had I not made a career change to foodservice, my other option would have been architecture/urban planning, so this forum feeds my other passion in life.
I am still reading through the mass of past postings to get up to date, but since North Downtown is my current focus, as it hinges on the success of my new job, I thought a few comments might be appropriate.

Parking....Yesterday I was walking around the UP Child Development Center, and it already has the diagonal parking in place. I decided I like it and so I won't make any more comments on parking in North Downtown.

The Name....sorry, but under no circumstances will I ever call it Upper Market, North Market, Son of Market, etc. I believe North Downtown will establish it's own identity, and shouldn't be relegated to a stepchild of The Old Market. It isn't the Old Market, and quite frankly, the plans for North Downdown are more expansive than the Old Market. Look around the Old Market....lots of buildings with street level shops and upper floors undeveloped, with birds flying out of all the holes in the decaying windows. There is lots of potential in the Old Market, but the Mercers don't seem interested in anything above street level. North Downtwon favors new developemt with activity on all floors of a building. Let the Tip-Top and Slowdown show the example for this new area of the city.

The Human Side Of Development....I have hired 18 people to work in my kitchen. Of those, 14 are currently unemployed, and living either downtown or in North Omaha. North Downtown, for all of it's future pricey condos and apartments, will also impact those that live in it's surrounding areas, and are transportation-challenged, and can not easily make the journey to far, far west Omaha. When was the last time you saw a MAT bus at 180th and Dodge?? This was probably the most exciting thing I have done in quite a few years. Providing a new opportunity to people to get back on a regular job has been hugely fulfilling. With an opening staff of 100 people for this new enterprise, I am sure there are similar stats for the other departments of InPlay.

Hint, Hint...watch for additional announcements of new development in North Downtown.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Thanks for the update Omahachef. Very interesting bit of information. Can't wait to hear the news.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Its great to have you around! I can't wait to read more of your posts and some of your apparently announcements-to-be.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Wow, thats great Omaha Chef. I love how u are giving back to the people that will be effected by the transformation of the area by giving them jobs. I wish more people did stuff like that. I bet it means the world to them.

Oh and this will be nice having another insider on the forum. WE love our rumors here :D
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Congrats on everyhthing chef and a belated welcome to the site. I commend you on your hiring practices for your restaurant.

Here's to North Downtown revitalization - not gentrification!
omacoffeeguy
New to the Neighborhood

North Downtown Development

Post by omacoffeeguy »

I love the idea of a North Downtown development project. At last Omaha is getting on the map, and we deserve it! We have a great city with alot to offer residents and visitors. Our Downtown development is second to none, and competes with many metropolitan cities. However, I am concerned with the North Downtown development. I feel the way it's laid out it would cut off traffic to the rest of the downtown, primarilly the Old Market, a landmark for Downtown. 16th street is the proposed main corridor and makes absolutely no sense since the street is cut off by the Doubletree leaving no continuity to North Downtown and the Old Market and South Market development. We need an alternative corridor. Perhaps 13th Street would be the wiser choice since it goes directly through the Gene Lahey Mall and is a major thouroughfare already. A concerned Old Market business owner....thanks.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Wow, I totaly forgot 16th ends for a block at Capitol Ave. 13th street would pry work out. Great way for CWS fans to get to the blatt while hanging out in North Downtown (sorry I guess its called that :( ) or the Old Market. Which would provide a great opportunity for a hotel along 13th. Hopefully tall(man I never miss an opportunity to find a place for a tall building).
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'd like to see more plans for 16th St. It's my favorite part of DT and I'll be living there eventually.
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I agree with omahcoffeeguy. North Downtown runs from 10th to 17th street, so why is the main street 16th street. 13th and 14th would work much better. One runs eastbound, and one runs westbound, making it easily accessable to the rest of the downtown areas. The placement of the Doubletree is typical of 1960's-early 70's urban planning beliefs....sadly. But's it's there and it divides downtown from North Downtown, so picking a better car-friendly route makes more sense. I highly doubt one person will ever walk from the Old Market to North Downtown. This is a suburban city. A more car-friendly entrance to North Downtown makes more sense.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

^ Hence the need for a train :)
DTO
WT
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WT »

OmahaChef wrote:North Downtown runs from 10th to 17th street, so why is the main street 16th street. 13th and 14th would work much better. One runs eastbound, and one runs westbound, making it easily accessable to the rest of the downtown areas. The placement of the Doubletree is typical of 1960's-early 70's urban planning beliefs....sadly.
Think outside the box (or kitchen) Chef. The North Downtown study boundaries are 10th to 17th, but the study wasn't done in a vaccum like a West Omaha special. It involved meshing with the existing neighborhoods and fabric of the city. 13th and 14th Streets are both one-way streets, if I'm not mistaken. They are important streets for moving traffic in and out of downtown. Therefore they would not be the ideal streets for a lot of pedestrian activity. 16th, on the other hand, is already thought of as a pedestrian street in downtown Omaha, so it only makes sense to make 16th in North Downtown the north/south pedestrian street.
OmahaChef wrote:But's it's there and it divides downtown from North Downtown, so picking a better car-friendly route makes more sense. I highly doubt one person will ever walk from the Old Market to North Downtown. This is a suburban city. A more car-friendly entrance to North Downtown makes more sense.
I do not think that making the area "car-friendly" was the driving force behind the design for North Downtown. If you mean "car-friendly" for visiblity of the district, you should not have to worry. Remember, this district is at the front door of Omaha from the airport.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Good point, WT!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

In the City Reader a few weeks ago was an article on downtown condo developments. and as part of it was renderings of the Slowdown project. I had seen the one in the OWH, but there were other views as well, so hopefully this works. It's my first time attaching an image.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice! Thanks Chef!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

At the ribbon cutting for the Tip-Top Building Wednesday, the investors for InPlay spoke as well, and the interesting thing was the their approach to InPlay and the community. InPlay's belief is that they will search out up and potentially-coming areas, and make a real difference.

During orientation classes last week, we discussed openly the next phase of the InPlay development, so about 100 people have the information, and can pass it on. After talking with the investors and their plans, and their openness to discuss the next phases of their development plans for North Downtwon, I feel comfortable discussing it here. Besides, request for permits will soon be appearing in public records, so I feel pretty good parting with information.

In August, or September at the latest, we will begin construction of a hotel on the Tip-Top/InPlay site. It will be located behind the new banquet facility. The land which fronts Cuming Street, between the existing parking lot and the railroad tracks is reserved for another future project which hasn't been decided yet. Room service for the new hotel will be provided by my current kitchens. The meeting rooms in our Forte Banquet and Conference Center will also be shared by the hotel. It won't be a 20 story tower, but it will fit into the scheme for North Downtown. It should be completed by March to May of 2006.

By the way, I noticed a comment or two about all the parking for InPlay. Surface parking is for maybe 50-75 cars. The rest is located underground in a parking garage under the surface parking lot and the new Banquet Center. Rather ingenious, I think.

More InPlays are in negotiation in other cities, and we plan to franchise as well. Plus, it will be intersting to see what else we develop on our existing site, as well in North Downtown in general.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

More great news, Chef. You guys are doing great things for NDT. Not only for the development of the fledgling area but the employment you're bringing to the area.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

almighty_tuna wrote:More great news, Chef. You guys are doing great things for NDT. Not only for the development of the fledgling area but the employment you're bringing to the area.
Ditto from me on both items - increased employment in the area is long overdue. Sounds like In Pay is going to be a major player in the development of the area. Thanks Chef! (and see you while I'm in town next week - I'll bring the nephews and sample a few items)>
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I drove by in-play today after the photo shoot and it looks great.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Hmm, I wonder what this might mean for north DT.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=54&u_sid=1443467
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

I think most of us here would be content with the city of Omaha being granted more liberal use of eminent domain in redeveloping north downtown (of course I'd hope that these people would be getting fair market value for their properties).
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I'm all for improving the city, but this ruling is just plain scary! Could this be the next urban renewal debacle?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I would agree Finn, this ruling is scary as to the breadth of power it grants cities. Of course, as far as Omaha goes, I didn't think it could get much worse than when they used eminent domain to take over a block of surface parking that they used to build a city garage on, and then the garage isn't even available for public parking, except on weekends and only marginally in evenings. Hopefully, we won't see "abuses" worse than this in the North DT area.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

loyalomahan - I was being a little tongue in cheek with the "I didn't think it could get much worse than...." Did you miss the smiley face at the end? Ooops, so did I! :oops: I really think the City has underused it's ability to use eminent domain thus far, but I do agree that the latest SC ruling probably allows too much latitude.

BTW, you're thinking of a different parking garage than I am, but pretty close to same circumstances.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stable genius.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

One of the interesting things (at least to me) about North Downtown so far, is the mix of traffic at InPlay. We are seeing a number of residents of South Omaha, and from downtown of course, and a very good number of residents from North Omaha. Of course, the West O folks are represented too. Both south and north areas have been historically underserved by businesses. The closest family entertainment area is around 72nd & Dodge. Reasonably priced restaurants don't exactly abound in either area, either. We have had a number of people from North Omaha who simply come in to eat, and don't really do much in the way of gaming. And, the other way around too! InPlay offers something for people of all ages in the way of entertainment, and so will the Slowdown complex as well. The concert hall is definitely targeted to a younger crowd, but the independant theatres will draw from all age grows likely. This kind of all-ages mix will definitely help to create a vibrant environment in North Downtown.
Brad
City Council

Fahey backs project planned downtown

Post by Brad »

I know this is posted in two spots, but it is about both topics
Fahey backs project planned downtown

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=1443657
New development will come rapidly in Omaha's north downtown area in the next seven to 10 years, an urban developer said Thursday.

"It will be nothing like you've ever seen in Omaha," said Christian Christensen of Bluestone Development.
Brad
City Council

Supreme Court Decision Affects Omaha Businesses

Post by Brad »

posted in two places because it is about 2 different threads.
Supreme Court Decision Affects Omaha Businesses

http://www.kptm.com/news/local/1623227.html

Some downtown business owners have some big concerns today.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Thursday local governments can seize people's homes and businesses for private economic development. For owners in the north downtown area, it's a ruling to which they're paying close attention