Official: North Downtown Discussion

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

Hey what about "UpDo!" no i'm kidding. I'm with Stylee on this one. North Downtown works fine with me.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think I'm going to start referring to everything that way, to show how ridiculous it is. Downtown is now DoTo. Midtown is now MiTo. South Omaha is now SoOm (I like that one). North Omaha is now NoOm (Haha, that one, too). West Omaha is now WeOm. Central Downtown is now CeDo. The Riverfront is now the RiFr. West Downtown is WeDo. Of course, South Downtown is SoDo. The Near South Side is now the NeSoSi. Douglas County is now DoCo. Sarpy County is now SaCo. Pottawattamie County is now PoCo. Washington County is now WaCo. Cass County is now CaCo. Omaha Nebraska is now OmNe. Nebraska US is NeUs. The United States of America is now the UnStAm. The Solar System is now the SoSy. The Milky Way is now the MiWa.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It sounds like we'd be honoring the Indian culture of the area with names like that. I like it.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Maybe if we |expletive| about the name long enough, they'll have to change it. :roll: Christ, get over it already.

On a more positive note, I think Avanzee might be on to something there. Im guessing Omaha could get some nice coin for a few of those parking lots. Of course, they might do the "we'll give you the land since you are going to build a 450 ft hotel condo tower". :)
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Yeah...uhuh...I see. Nice pic on your posts Streets! (Something positive) Informative too. (OK, cynical, not positive, but not yet negative) Perhaps next time you could mention that the hotel which will wrap around the 3rd base line of the new North Downtown stadium is an Extended Stay America. Or that Creighton has officially started constuction on the newest cluster dorms down around 19th Street. Or that the basement of Riverfront Place has been poured. When is the groundbreaking for the Hampton Inn in North Downtown? When does Bluestone Development plan to put their condo project at 13th and Webster on the Planning Commission agenda?

I swear, this post on North Downtown is now 6 pages long, yet almost half of it is devoted to the name of the area. I love reading the posts on this site for the information on the growth of Omaha, especially downtown, cause I could care less about a mall at 204th and whatever. But mostly what it seems to be is whining about a transit system that nobody on here actually uses, or the name of areas of the city. Check out the city council agendas, and describe for me in detail where Four Fountains, and the Homes at Millcreek Village or Shadowbrook are at. What is Legacy a legacy of?? And where is this Legacy? It tells me nothing by it's name. Yet it is embraced and loved, because it's in West Omaha (WeOm).

A topic of threads on development should provide some information on development. Otherwise it's just babble for the sake of bolstering ones number of posts.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:)
DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thanks for that Chef.

And how much truth is there in those statements? Is there still promise for a 'North Downtown' baseball park? I've heard so much about Creighton having no interest in working with the Royals, that I've sort of written it off.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Oh yeah you weren't there that day Jeff. :)
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Well, there are people who are still paying every month on the options to keep the four blocks of this project from being used for other purposes. The vision I laid out several pages ago in this thread is what I was told by some of those investors back in June, and they haven't released the options. So, there are those who still see an opportunity, even without Creighton involvement. It's a project that involves a lot more than just a ballpark, as I described before.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

After looking around I found your original post under the 'downtown ballpark' thread. Sorry, I apparently missed that exciting information.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

OmahaChef, lighten up. All you can do is contribute to discussion, and you sure aren't contributing to a positive environment for open discussion when you criticize your fellow forum members for the topics they choose to discuss, topics you don't have to read if you don't want to. Forum discussions go where they go. Why do some of you get so bent out of shape when they go off topic? Let the forum be organic.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Organic and negative are two different things. If you are a positive force for the growth of Omaha, then your posts should reflect that.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, and you are a part of it, too Chef. And it's not that organic and negative are two separate things, it's that POSITIVE organic and NEGATIVE organic are two separate things. Still, let it be organic.

And, actually, I bet every single development that goes into North Downtown cares about its name.

Anyway, can you tell me what this "ballpark complex" you're talking about is, or direct me to where you have explained it before?
nebraska dreamin'
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nebraska dreamin' »

I've printed 150 T-shirts that say "I love North Downtown!"

How many do all you guys want?

:D

PS I still think it would be cool if the proposed ballpark had a railroad theme to it. It could be called "The Yard".
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I like that idea.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

If people didn't want to go back to their "KC's my Daddy" Royals name, we could have been watching the Spikes play at Union Pacific Park aka "The Yard"
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

First we want to be like Denver now Baltimore with the Yard. Why not have a corporate name or something with the Royals or something to identify with OMAHA, the city North DT is in.
DTO
nebraska dreamin'
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nebraska dreamin' »

DTO,

I thought the whole RR theme was a tribute to Omaha. I think it could be used to make a cool stadium and make it an OMAHA attraction. The UP railyards were right there, so "The Yard" made sense. I understand the desire not to copy another city and have something uniquely Omahan but I think you might be taking it a bit too far.

Other ideas for my Field of Themes

Mutual of Omaha Wild Kindgom Stadium, otherwise known as "The Jungle" GnR blaring as the team takes the field. Marlin Perkins Field. Maybe the Zoo could get involved also. The team could be the Omaha Animals. ok maybe thats too far.

Omaha Investors now playing at Berkshire-Ameritrade Park. "Come Day Trade at the Day Game" I picture WiFi everywhere and the stock ticker running on the scoreoard. Only millionaires can throw out the first pitch Opening Day.
Blazepaw
Home Owners Association

Post by Blazepaw »

Carefull.... throwing out names in a brainstorm fashion will get a slap down here...

My "Love District" was a half a_sed example of tailoring the name to our local heroes instead of taking/copying another cities identity (Like Central Park Vs. Gene Layhey Mall.

My point being we should take the time and the trouble too find out what we as a city could come up with. This is a big deal. It's a big area with a lot of hopes pinned on it.
Blazepaw
Home Owners Association

Post by Blazepaw »

On page 6 OmahaChef was speaking of the discustion about the name North Downtown... Here's my thoughts.

I imagine when the development progresses and a small group decides the name without the publics input... the name discussions will slow or even at some point stop.

Right now IS the time for it. North Downtown is for many of us a mistake and a waisted opportunity.

The forum about said development IS the place for that discussion. the issues that mater to forum members will always have the most points and posts. it speaks to how important an issue it really is.

If that is too boring then blow this thread off until you can deal with reading others thoughts and feelings on the subject. I know if the shoe was on the other foot you wouldn't want to hear a "Shut up about it already".

Let us vent. In the end it will probably be for many of your fellow forum members as well as the rest of the city, the only chance they get at any input at all.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Exactly, Blazepaw. Exactly

And, I say "Hey, hey, hey, Gene Layhey!" (in the dialect of Deputy Raineesha Williams on Reno 911)
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

On Tuesday's City Council Agenda is the first reading of a resolution to adopt the HDR study as an amendment to the Master Plan for Omaha, which will guide development and design decisions on future proposals for the North Downtown area. I'm sure it needs a lot more readings, public hearings, etc, before it is approved. But, it's a step in the right direction.
WT
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WT »

Have you heard if there has been any progress for getting some guidelines in place for the district?
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

And the race is on...Interesting to note how the low bidders thought they might be regretting it in a year.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46& ... nd=2524241
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Auction specific discussion here...

http://www.eomaha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26649#26649

By the way, include a few more details when you post links like this. Thanks!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The revival of the ballpark thread in the Rumors section, gave me the idea to update what I know about North Downtown at this point.....which isn't a whole lot, unfortunately.

The Tip-Top is getting pretty full. Not 100% occupied yet, but getting there.

InPlay is doing OK. Nuf said. The Forte Banquet and Conference Center is going gangbusters. I have at least one event most weekends through the end of March. As an example on November 11th, I have 5 events, which will service almost 1000 people between all the events.

The Ballpark. As I mentioned in the ballpark thread, my source, who was to be an investor and part of the development team, dropped out and is involved in other ventures outside of Omaha. The "For Sale or Lease" sign went down a few weeks ago, and the options to keep the property from being sold is being paid on every month. Although Todd H. from NuStyle lives in the Tip-Top, I haven't seen him for awhile, so I don't have much else to offer here.

The Hampton Inn. Hmmm....lots of politics behind the scenes at InPlay with the investors and such. I have my doubts this will ever happen now. Perhaps we can go back to the North Downtown Renewal Study and build the Quik Trip they recommended.

The Grocery Store Site. The "For Sale or Lease" sign came down, but otherwise, haven't heard a thing.

Slowdown. As mentioned in the Slowdown thread, a construction trailer arrived last Friday, it was approved in City Council Tuesday, and surveying and stakes in the ground have occurred the rest of this week.

The Condos at Slowdown. Who knows. It was pulled from the Planning Department agenda in July and hasn't made an appearance since.

Other Sites in North Downtown or River North. No ones saying much. Everyone seems to be waiting to see what everyone else does. Nothing to report.

Sorry if this seems rather blah, but as the North Downtown study said, without a major attraction, the area could take a loooooooooooong time to develop out.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thanks for the update Chef. Waiting is something we're used to doing around here. We'll just have to be patient.

Hey, maybe I've mentioned this before... has inPlay considered having someone hand out some coupons for free drinks or discounts of some kind as people come out of concerts/hockey games, etc? It seems like just such a natural to stop in there after coming out of an event.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Good point. I'll bring that up with my manager. We did that in the Old Market when we opened, but...you'd be surprised how many people call and complain when you leave a flyer on their windshield. I'll have to mention that. We may be hosting the pre and post game radio shows for Creighton Basketball. It's in negotiations.

Speaking of negotiations, I found out yesterday the hotel project isn't dead. It's in....yep! Negotiations.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Hey, we're back on a positive slant! Some great news... thanks Chef.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Thanks for the North Downtown update chef..

It is appreciated..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

OmahaChef wrote:Good point. I'll bring that up with my manager. We did that in the Old Market when we opened, but...you'd be surprised how many people call and complain when you leave a flyer on their windshield. I'll have to mention that. We may be hosting the pre and post game radio shows for Creighton Basketball. It's in negotiations.

Speaking of negotiations, I found out yesterday the hotel project isn't dead. It's in....yep! Negotiations.
So how is all the negotiations going? :)
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I just changed the thread title! This thread is now the official thread for everything North Downtown! 8) :D
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Well, there has been movent here. The land deal with NuStyle has finally been consumated, so the investors will move forward with a hotel on the Tip-Top property. Originally it was to be a Hampton Inn, but it took way too long to get to this point, and as we all know now, the company that runs Hilton Gardens got the rights to a Hampton Inn which will be started this Spring on the site of the sculpture garden on Cuming. It is now slated to be a Holiday Inn Downtown, minimum of 5 stories, maybe taller. It will be located on the back of the property, with an elevated enclosed walkway which will connect it to the InPlay/Forte facility so that the meeting and restaurant space can be shared with InPlay. The architect for the project has been here several times to work on logistics and design issues. By the way, the next InPlay will be in Des Moines, opening about winter of this year.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

OmahaChef wrote:The architect for the project has been here several times to work on logistics and design issues.
Great news you have, and good to see you posting more again. Any word from the architect on whether the exterior will be design to fit in with the area? In other words, is it going to stick out like a sore thumb behind a wonderfully historic building like the TipTop?
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Is this holiday inn going to the east of in play or north of tiptop? It would sure be nice if they were able to address the street and get some height right along cuming street to complement the tiptop. Too bad inplay has that stupid parking lot in front of it that will stick out like a sore thumb.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Harpoon wrote:Is this holiday inn going to the east of in play or north of tiptop?.
The planned hotel will be directly to the back of the InPlay property..To the North in the same lot..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Correct O.C.. The property directly to the east is where Todd H. wants to build the grocery store/condo building someday.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thanks again for the inside update Chef! Things are really beginning to hit critical mass.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaChef wrote:Correct O.C.. The property directly to the east is where Todd H. wants to build the grocery store/condo building someday.
I remember last summer Chef..You, D'Shawn. my brother (Keith) and I were standing outside of the InPlay property after you gave us a nice tour of the InPlay/Forte' banquet facility..And how we all conceptualized about all the great planned entertainment/hospitality/lifestyle options that could potentially rise in North Downtown (or as Fahey likes to call it-Market North :wink: )..

Seeing the wheels starting to turn into action is so gratifying to hear about now as we roll now into spring of 2006..

Thanks very much for your updates Chef! :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Hal Daub wanted to call it "Old Market North" I guess Fahey won't ever be to original.

Since the area is going to have many sporting facilities I think we should call it Balltown. "Come and play in Balltown!" It has a nice Chuck E. Cheese-innuendo feel to it.
DTO