Official: North Downtown Discussion

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: Official: North Downtown Discussion

Post by MTO »

Looking at the satellite, they better make sure they know exactly how much the expansion will be because it could cover up the access to the ped bridge.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote: A change of topic, but I drove by one of the suburban hotels down there and saw there was some draping and construction equipment around the first floor. I can't remember which hotel. Anyone know what they are doing down there? Hopefully offering something at street level?
It's the SW corner of the Holiday Inn at 15th and Cuming that has wrapped up the bay formerly occupied by Union Pizzeria and Sports Bar. They are adding another 1500 sq ft., for a Sporting News Grill.
Might have been a change of plans. A place called Burger Theory has posted a lot of pictures of this expansion on their facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BurgerTheoryOm ... e_internal
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ok, I did not see this happening even though you called it.
I was talking with some people the other day and the said that Union Pizzeria took. I care of that location in HI. Said that their grease trap had severe problems, like at least $6K worth of work needed, and they had basically burned their bridges with HI which was glad to see them go. Union never in high regard in North Downtown, so I hope Burger Theory makes a good impression here.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The group behind The Yard is working on getting the property directly west of The Yard and the stretch of one story buildings on Fahey rezoned to CBD. They are currently zoned as DT Service District.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:The group behind The Yard is working on getting the property directly west of The Yard and the stretch of one story buildings on Fahey rezoned to CBD. They are currently zoned as DT Service District.
Worst news of the day.
No posts exist for this topic
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

CBD? I'm a little rusty on my zoning codes, but wouldn't that a higher density than DT Service District?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

No parking minimums is the only difference I know of.
Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

CBD is also required zoning to be eligible for TIF financing. This could be an indicator for a TIF application to the City of Omaha for redevelopment.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Newstreet (The Yard) is developing the former Nike building into Sessions Bar, so, how much of that block do they own? I tried looking for Garrett's map but can't remember which thread it is in...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Newstreet (The Yard) is developing the former Nike building into Sessions Bar, so, how much of that block do they own? I tried looking for Garrett's map but can't remember which thread it is in...
There is always the GIS map, that's my go to. http://www.dogis.org/
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yeah, but that would take time and effort on my part :oops:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Yeah, but that would take time and effort on my part :oops:
Lol, it takes 2 seconds. They only own the Nike (blue) building on that lot. Everything else is owned by LV COMMERCIAL PROPERTY INVEST, or 1509 BURT ST LLC, or HAWKES RICKY, or CREIGHTON.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:
Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote: A change of topic, but I drove by one of the suburban hotels down there and saw there was some draping and construction equipment around the first floor. I can't remember which hotel. Anyone know what they are doing down there? Hopefully offering something at street level?
It's the SW corner of the Holiday Inn at 15th and Cuming that has wrapped up the bay formerly occupied by Union Pizzeria and Sports Bar. They are adding another 1500 sq ft., for a Sporting News Grill.
Might have been a change of plans. A place called Burger Theory has posted a lot of pictures of this expansion on their facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BurgerTheoryOm ... e_internal

Yeah I was wondering on this as well. Kept waiting for the Sporting News Grill to open.

Greg
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote, my maps are on page 29
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bobcat wrote:CBD is also required zoning to be eligible for TIF financing. This could be an indicator for a TIF application to the City of Omaha for redevelopment.
Good info, thanks.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Newstreet (The Yard) is developing the former Nike building into Sessions Bar, so, how much of that block do they own? I tried looking for Garrett's map but can't remember which thread it is in...
There is always the GIS map, that's my go to. http://www.dogis.org/
The owner records on the GIS/Assessor's site always seem to be several months behind.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but there are signs in the window for a new boutique store called True Blue in the Slowdown complex bay directly west of where Greenstreet was. I'm speculating based on the name that they'll have a lot of locally produced goods. Also, I have heard rumors from several people that Modern Love is looking to open a second location at Slowdown.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

mr. omaha wrote:I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but there are signs in the window for a new boutique store called True Blue in the Slowdown complex bay directly west of where Greenstreet was. I'm speculating based on the name that they'll have a lot of locally produced goods. Also, I have heard rumors from several people that Modern Love is looking to open a second location at Slowdown.
Looks like there is a thing called True Blue Decor that has been at Junkstock a lot. Maybe it is the same people? Nice to get the storefront filled either way.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Does anyone know how hard it would be for the city to relocate that massive utility building just south of Filmstreams?
15-17, 26, 32
yellowcolumbia
Home Owners Association

Post by yellowcolumbia »

MTO wrote:Does anyone know how hard it would be for the city to relocate that massive utility building just south of Filmstreams?
If you're referring to the steam/chilled water plant, it's not city owned.

http://www.nrg.com/business/large-busin ... ing/omaha/
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Conspiracy afoot in North Downtown!

OWH reports that the Kiewit Foundation has secretly been buying up tracts of land North of Cuming for the past 7 years with intents to create a creative arts and trades district. There is no new development specified, and the exact areas owned aren't mentioned either, but because they are revealing this now it sure seems like they are soon to be switching to developing rather than holding the land.

Read more: http://www.omaha.com/money/what-s-next- ... 6a875.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Very interesting. Glad someone that wants to see improvement got their hands on the land. I do agree that they might now be pursuing further development considering they went public with their intentions today.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

This is good news, I think. I like that they have identified and chosen to strengthen the "arts and trades" direction that part of North downtown was already headed with Hot Shops and Mastercraft. And it's good they will encourage "organic development" by start-ups, instead of some rigid 10+-year master plan.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What's next for north downtown: Kiewit Foundation effort invests in vision for 'arts and trades' district

http://www.omaha.com/money/what-s-next- ... 6a875.html
Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A Peter Kiewit Foundation-led group has quietly been buying up properties in north downtown Omaha to help the struggling area transform into a creative “arts and trades” district.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban wrote:This is good news, I think. I like that they have identified and chosen to strengthen the "arts and trades" direction that part of North downtown was already headed with Hot Shops and Mastercraft. And it's good they will encourage "organic development" by start-ups, instead of some rigid 10+-year master plan.
Master Plans aren't rigid by nature. Depends on how open to new ideas the stake holders are.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:
GetUrban wrote:This is good news, I think. I like that they have identified and chosen to strengthen the "arts and trades" direction that part of North downtown was already headed with Hot Shops and Mastercraft. And it's good they will encourage "organic development" by start-ups, instead of some rigid 10+-year master plan.
Master Plans aren't rigid by nature. Depends on how open to new ideas the stake holders are.
Look how rigid HDR's Master Plan was. :mrgreen:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote:
Plus, it depends if they are public or private. In the former, Master plans can be enforced by zoning & overlays, and the latter, by covenants. In this case it appears the allowed uses only have to fit into the vision of being for "arts or trades".
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like this building might be getting cleared out. A couple people were moving a lot of stuff out of the building into a storage container.

Really cool potential for a building like this.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

iamjacobm wrote:Looks like this building might be getting cleared out. A couple people were moving a lot of stuff out of the building into a storage container.

What's the address on it?
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

16th and Burt.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I've seen several buildings in the area that look like they are in transition... I wonder if something is afloat
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I've seen several buildings in the area that look like they are in transition... I wonder if something is afloat
Only a block from the new KU...
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

iamjacobm wrote:Looks like this building might be getting cleared out. A couple people were moving a lot of stuff out of the building into a storage container.

Longtime lurker here.

I was just driving around that area around Halloween. It's really interesting to see how much has changed in between 480 and Cuming in 20 years. I remember nothing but boarded up buildings and blight in every direction. Between the Slowdown, Creighton, and TDA, there isn't much left of old North Downtown, but there are a couple of blocks, such as this that haven't been redeveloped.

I remember going to places like Mystery Manor, Edge of Darkness, and The Neverending Nightmare back when there was a real feeling of isolation that filled that area. It's not necessarily that it felt dangerous, just totally abandoned.

My guess is that the rest of these buildings will be torn down within a few years. Outside of The Session Room, there hasn't been much re-use for these old buildings. Most have been torn down for parking and CU athletic facilities.

Seeing the picture of North Downtown in the other thread when ASARCO was still standing has me wondering, does anyone have any pictures of this area from the 80's-90's that can really illustrate the change that has taken place north of 480? I've been searching on the Durham archive and have found very little. I would love to see pictures of the old warehouses and 1880's era apartment buildings that filled that area.

Also, anyone who has been around a while have any insight to what truly killed that area? Pictures I've found on the Durham website show a relatively thriving neighborhood as far up until the 60's with grocery stores, houses, and apartments. Was it the construction of 480 choking it off from the rest of downtown? Was it the proximity to ASARCO and UP? Was it the perceived danger of being near North Omaha during the riots around the 60's?

Just interesting to me how a part of Omaha went from being a functioning part of the city, to a mini Detroit, to almost total rebirth over the course of a few decades.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Don't have much to add, but from what I have heard and seen:

480 led to the demise of north downtown. It cutoff the area from the rest of downtown. Also building the Doubletree hotel on 16th st hurt. It did the same. It took away a major artery from downtown to north downtown.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

It said on the omaha master plan after awhile they want to tear down the doubletree to make a road. Is that really necessary? That hotel is very nice and adds to the skyline. :hammer: Wow how ironic, plans to destroy another cool building?
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:It said on the omaha master plan after awhile they want to tear down the doubletree to make a road. Is that really necessary? That hotel is very nice and adds to the skyline. :hammer: Wow how ironic, plans to destroy another cool building?
Did you really post this? Really? -4 internets for you.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Coyote wrote:
PotatoeEatsFish wrote:It said on the omaha master plan after awhile they want to tear down the doubletree to make a road. Is that really necessary? That hotel is very nice and adds to the skyline. :hammer: Wow how ironic, plans to destroy another cool building?
Did you really post this? Really? -4 internets for you.
For real, the Doubletree was built directly on 16th and impeded traffic to North Downtown. Coyote, you don't happen to know why they did that do you? It seems so unnecessary.

Plus it's totes ugly.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The unofficial reason I have heard is that 16th was the main route from North O to DT. Whether or not you believe a racial factor is up to personal opinion.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:The unofficial reason I have heard is that 16th was the main route from North O to DT. Whether or not you believe a racial factor is up to personal opinion.
I'd second that. Plus, wasn't the area more industrial at the time? Aside from Asarco?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride