Official: North Downtown Discussion

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

EricHaley
Human Relations

Re: Official: North Downtown Discussion

Post by EricHaley »

They should really slow down on that building, it's going up way too fast… :roll:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

EricHaley wrote:They should really slow down on that building, it's going up way too fast… :roll:
You're hilarious!
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF Request for "The Hub" at 1605 Nicholas.

This building currently stands there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/million-proj ... bfb15.html
A long-vacant building across the street from the Siena-Francis House homeless shelter is about to undergo a $2 million makeover into a home for small businesses.

The former Safety Service truck repair shop at 1605 Nicholas St. has sat empty for years, remaining solid but mainly providing shade for people hanging out near the shelter.

But now, as north downtown development momentum continues, the owner thinks the time is right to put it back to work. Omaha attorney Duane Dowd and investment partners from Omaha and Denver propose to renovate the nondescript but sturdy old garage and create spaces for seven businesses. They hope to have what they’re calling The Hub open by fall.

They’re seeking $300,000 in tax-increment financing to help pay for the project. The Omaha Planning Board voted earlier this month to recommend that the City Council approve the TIF request.

The developers considered knocking down the building and erecting housing, but decided against it, said Adam Watson, who is working with Dowd on The Hub.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Hub will provide a unique and collaborative environment to small engineering, architectural, startups and other professional firms.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (110.89 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And 41 SF for custodial arts. 8)
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:And 41 SF for custodial arts. 8)
I will send you an application if you like...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 4691 times
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:
image.jpeg
Reminds me of the Omar Baking Company building off of Cuming Street. The building is split up between small businesses and a church.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:
image.jpeg
Somebody's gotta get that joke.. Half Baked...
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is a common idea for industrial space near city centers, but not in ideal locations. Some are "cooler" than others. There is a similar concept in Austin about 2 miles east of DT on 6th street that has a brewery and clothing store and used to house some Uber driver support space(before Uber and Lyft pulled out of Austin).

It is good to have cheap space for startups and small businesses to call home.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like a nonprofit with a global footprint moved their HQ to a warehouse off of 20th and Izard from Minnesota. "Kids Against Hunger"
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The building immediately west of The Session Room is for sale. Could be a great site for a 5 story apartment/retail project.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:Just found out in a meeting today that Creighton has no need for the two buildings next to the Happy Bar and while not going up for sale, they would entertain a bid. They do not have plans on crossing 16th St.
Just heard a rumor that these two buildings to the north have been bought and will be rehabilitated!
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Comment deleted.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Nice! That bay window is gorgeous.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Comment deleted.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

My understanding was this does not include the building Happy Bar is in. Still amazing news. Creighton selling a historic building for renovation is a monster victory. More to come?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:My understanding was this does not include the building Happy Bar is in. Still amazing news. Creighton selling a historic building for renovation is a monster victory. More to come?

I agree. I'd love to see more of these buildings get renovated and used.

Creighton's expansion east has been so good for Omaha.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:My understanding was this does not include the building Happy Bar is in. Still amazing news. Creighton selling a historic building for renovation is a monster victory. More to come?

I agree. I'd love to see more of these buildings get renovated and used.

Creighton's expansion east has been so good for Omaha.

Greg
Except for the buildings they have already demo'd.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That is fantastic news. Need to keep the few scraps of character left in North Downtown.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha looking at ways to extend Capitol Avenue to riverfront
Plans are churning for a new roadway between downtown and the Omaha riverfront.

On Tuesday afternoon, the Omaha City Council unanimously approved a study to look at ways to extend Capitol Avenue to the riverfront.

An aquarium and events barge moored at Lewis & Clark Landing are among the flashier suggestions. Other potential plans include trails, restaurants and a major new festival coordinated between Omaha and Council Bluffs.

Concepts are required to include sidewalks on both sides of the extension to accommodate pedestrians as well as drivers. The plans must also consider bridge configurations needed to cross CenturyLink Center parking areas and nearby railroad tracks. Realignments of Capitol Avenue and Eighth Street will be included as well, with a note to keep a connection between the streets to the south.
Here is the current view:
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

If the city wants to make the Riverfront and North Downtown happen, they need to really consider making I480 into a street-level boulevard.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I am still beyond confused how making 480 a street level boulevard is better, you are making an even bigger barrier than an elevated road.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Good news from the OWH article
"Construction for “Baby Bob” is scheduled for 2018 or 2019."
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Linkin5 wrote:I am still beyond confused how making 480 a street level boulevard is better, you are making an even bigger barrier than an elevated road.
Depends on how it's designed. In general, from a pscyhological standpoint, something like this is more inviting to cross...

than something like this...

Walking under a freeway underpass gives you the sense that you'd be trapped and that no one could see you if you found yourself in trouble. Survival instincts.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

nebraska wrote:If the city wants to make the Riverfront and North Downtown happen, they need to really consider making I480 into a street-level boulevard.
It's a big, grey, shady edifice. There needs to be some kind of urban pride project that decreases the psychological perception of 480 being a barrier. Add street-level and/or pylon art, or LED lighting that under the bridge that casts light down and make regular light shows out of it (I'm thinking of doing this over 10th and the area to the east, and maybe around 13th and 19th). Similar to how Omaha Fashion Week was holding shows under the 10th Street Bridge, do the same under the bridge east of 10th Street. There's a lot you can do to make a concrete barrier more permeable for a comparatively modest cost of destroying it and building something new. The challenge with the LED feature would be keeping the damn things operational, as evidenced by the difficulties of the lights on the BKPB.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:something like this is more inviting to cross...
Except double the width, remove the stop lights, and the vehicles are traveling at 60MPH.

Or are you saying to eliminate the interstate entirely and make it a city street?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Except double the width, remove the stop lights, and the vehicles are traveling at 60MPH.

Or are you saying to eliminate the interstate entirely and make it a city street?
Get rid if it completely. I-480 between US-75 and the river is completely useless.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

Get rid if it completely. I-480 between US-75 and the river is completely useless.
Exactly. Keep the interstate style connection to the east, but there's no need for it to rip through downtown. Not only that, but it would make the riverfront more inviting if we could get rid of those big ugly bridges over the river when we have such a striking pedestrian bridge right there. If anything tear it down and if it's so necessary to have a bridge, why can't we make it visually appealing like every other city seems to understand how to do...
#gohawks
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

buildomaha wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:

Exactly. Keep the interstate style connection to the east, but there's no need for it to rip through downtown. Not only that, but it would make the riverfront more inviting if we could get rid of those big ugly bridges over the river when we have such a striking pedestrian bridge right there. If anything tear it down and if it's so necessary to have a bridge, why can't we make it visually appealing like every other city seems to understand how to do...
Also on keeping the raised roads and making them more appealing, near 10th and capitol they could extend the open container zone to under the bridge and have outdoor events like they do for tailgating at Husker Football.
#gohawks
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I am still beyond confused how making 480 a street level boulevard is better, you are making an even bigger barrier than an elevated road.
Depends on how it's designed. In general, from a pscyhological standpoint, something like this is more inviting to cross...

Walking under a freeway underpass gives you the sense that you'd be trapped and that no one could see you if you found yourself in trouble. Survival instincts.
Picture one looks pretty good for when I want to off myself and get hit by a couple cars.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Linkin5 wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

Picture one looks pretty good for when I want to off myself and get hit by a couple cars.
With a speed limit of 30 (per the picture), you have roughly a 50% chance of just being "severely injured" by a car that hits you at full speed. So it'll require some effort..
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

With a speed limit of 30 (per the picture), you have roughly a 50% chance of just being "severely injured" by a car that hits you at full speed. So it'll require some effort..

We must consider that this would be Omaha. Posted speed limit is 30, which means half the cars will be traveling 50mph, and the other half 15mph.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Here is photo 1 from another angle
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (17.47 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

:lol:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Were none of you taught how to cross a street when you were kids? If at a traffic light, wait for the walk signal, otherwise look both ways and wait for traffic to clear.

Because it would replace I-480, it's not like there would be any traffic anyway.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MadMartin8 wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

We must consider that this would be Omaha. Posted speed limit is 30, which means half the cars will be traveling 50mph, and the other half 15mph.
This is about as close to a "like" button as I can get: :yes:
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Or are you saying to eliminate the interstate entirely and make it a city street?
Yes.

But... I think instead of 10 intersections, we need to only keep 10th street, 12th, 16th, and 20th. The on-ramp going west still picks up after 20th, bridging over 24th. The on-ramp going east would be redeveloped at 8th and Dodge. I might download Google Sketchup and mock up something.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nebraska wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:Or are you saying to eliminate the interstate entirely and make it a city street?
Yes.

But... I think instead of 10 intersections, we need to only keep 10th street, 12th, 16th, and 20th. The on-ramp going west still picks up after 20th, bridging over 24th. The on-ramp going east would be redeveloped at 8th and Dodge. I might download Google Sketchup and mock up something.
It would be very important to keep 13th, 14th, 17th open too. Nothing has been worse for North downtown than being cut-off from the downtown grid to the south by closing parts of it to create "super blocks". I'd even like to see 18th opened back up though the former civic site. and possibly 15th north from Capitol. 13th & 14th are the most important streets for connecting North downtown and the TD Ameritrade to the CBD.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

I am very familiar with the space under 480 at 10th and Capital. Walk my dog there all the time. Development would help. The building to the east of Local would be a great start. By the time you are there you are already sort of half way under the interstate. The road would need to be elevated to get over the tracks, so it would be nice and level with good line of site. That helps a lot in making a space more inviting. I am so for this project. It is just another puzzle piece that connects the whole downtown area.