Official: North Downtown Discussion

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

So, in case someone doesn't read the Slowdown thread, I thought I'd repeat it here....Yep, as I mentioned to the forumers yesterday during the InPlay tour, there will be a Hampton Inn, and it will be located behind the Forte Banquet and Conference Cener addition to the Tip-Top building. The remaining piece of land between the Tip-Top parking lot and the railroad tracks, fronting Cuming Street is reserved for another use. Permits should be granted during August, with construction to start in September, and Completion by May of 2006.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

The North Downtown plan designated a grocery store in this location. Is that still a possibility north of Cuming St. to the east of InPlay?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yes, I believe it is. The Hampton Inn's location will not affect the proposed grocery store.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

That is true, and in an article in the OWH about downtown groceries earlier this week (I think it was earlier this week), NuStyle's Todd mentions talks with a potential grocer for that site and maybe condos above. No formal announcement of course.
Blazepaw
Home Owners Association

Post by Blazepaw »

By the way are we going to call the new Latin based 24th St area MEXDO?

After we grab them up can we look forward to a ELKDO? May be a MILDO?

How about we use our brains and some of our actual city history to give this emerging area a fresh name that has everything to do with it and not what lies WAY south?

How about the "Love District".

I know at first it sounds a bit much, but if you would ask Philadelphia's citizens if Love Park was a bad idea they would say no it has worked out as a fantastic draw.

It would be named after a prominent citizen, and a minority.

It would always have that. Yet it would have the double meaning as well.

Not a bad one.

Preston Love wrote our cities official song "Omaha Blues"

Like I said "The Love District" sounds hokey at first but North Downtown works better? LOL
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Why would North DT be called the Love District? Why not the area around 24th & Lake since that's more the area of Preston Love.
DTO
Blazepaw
Home Owners Association

Post by Blazepaw »

DTO Luv wrote:Why would North DT be called the Love District? Why not the area around 24th & Lake since that's more the area of Preston Love.
That's very true. I agree with you.
The 24th and Lake St. area would perhaps be more appropriate.

I was attempting to tie in with a celebrated North Omaha area name. Preston's came to mind but it could be someone else's or not even necessarily a person.

I just wanted to put out there an ORIGINAL name for the "New" area.

We went through this with the G. Lahey Mall. At first we named it "The Central Park Mall" derivative of New Yorks of course.

"North Downtown" is to me is an even worse example of Omaha doing something great and not seeing it as important enough to deserve it own identity.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Nothing really new here, but here goes anyway.....

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=1454024
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

OK....aside from the raging debate of the name for North Downtown, ignoring the fact it is actually North of Downtown, I thought I'd throw out some real info. On today's city council agenda was the rezoning of the property at the northeast side of 16th and Cuming, known in the zoning regs as Model T Ford Plaza, otherwise known as the Tip-Top Building and it's associated land. The rezoning to Central Business District is a step in getting to a groundbreaking by September 1st of the Hampton Inn Hotel to the rear of the property. And, it's sets the stage for whatever gets built on the remaining land fronting Cuming Street, widely discussed as a site for a grocery store/apartment/condo building.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am assumeing that everything went smoothly today?
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

We'll know for sure when the corrected agenda is posted tomorrow. From what I heard the public hearing had no attendees, so I am anticipating a positive outcome.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Thanks for the SUBSTANTIAL substance update Chef..

I would presume a positive city-council outcome as well..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Thanks for that Chef! Hopefully things went well. And also hopefully we will see some plans soon.
WT
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WT »

OmahaChef wrote:And, it's sets the stage for whatever gets built on the remaining land fronting Cuming Street, widely discussed as a site for a grocery store/apartment/condo building.
What did the North Downtown document have at that corner? I think that I remember seeing a grocery store label on the plan. This would definately make sense with the future large population base and downtown residential boom. This way I could grab some beer at the grocery store and attempt to sneak it into a game. This is going to be a great place in a few years.

And, did the document locate a hotel behind the Tip-Top building? It seems like an odd place for a hotel (or motel).
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Yes, on the renderings for the area, the space fronting Cuming Street to the immediate east of the Tip-Top is noted as a proposed grocery store. What NuStyle would like to do is also add condos or apartments above it, so it would be a multi-story building.

Although the renderings stop at Cuming, the actual renewal district extends several blocks north of Cuming. I guess they didn't know what to put there, or maybe there just wasn't any room on the sheet of paper. As a result the Hampton Inn the investors of InPlay plan to build is not shown.

I don't think it is an odd spot, but then I have a vested interest in it's completion. It is close to Gallop, where people from all over the world come every week for their management classes. It is also close to downtown, but a more reasonable pricing than the big hotels downtown. Entertainment is only steps away, with InPlay, and so is a meal. And how many Hampton Inns have room service? If the ballpark gets built, out of town teams could stay there too.

Let's face it, for an area like North Downtown to grow, it is going to take some people with some real vision and guts to go ahead and locate there, rather than wait for everyone else to test the waters and build there first. Next thing you know, everyone is waiting for someone else, and nothing ever gets done.

By the way, the rezoning of the replat for the Tip-Top site was approved today at city council. Step 1 down, now on to the next one.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

I would agree that another hotel is needed in the area, but I believe that it should be south of Cuming Street to better serve the area. There isn't anything north of Cuming that you would need to stay overnight for, whereas on the south we have the convention center, gallup, downtown, and a multitude of other uses where an additional hotel would make sense. Putting one north of the TipTop is a terrible decision. Maybe if it fronted along Cuming it would be better, but to put it so far away from any use that it would serve is preposterous.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

The intersection of 10th and Webster is a far better location for a future hotel. It is sad to see that the Hampton Inn dudes are missing the boat.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

10th and Webster is a city owned parking lot, which last time I checked, was not for sale. And I agree, building a hotel 500 feet back from Cuming is totally preposterous. I will recommend to the investors, some of whom are in town right now for the opening of the Forte Banquet and Conference Center that they abandon plans for any more development way back in the hinterlands of North Downtown. They should probably forget about any involvement in a new ballpark either. And why would anyone want to build a grocery store in an area with 55 apartments and scads of people who live in rooming houses with no kitchens or homeless shelters. I'll recommend to NuStyle to forget that folly.

My gawd, every new project in North Downtown creates jobs, both in construction and in ongoing opportunities. Yet there is nothing but bitching about every single new idea or proposal. Like I said, there are visionaries, and they are the ones who make our dreams for development progress come true. North Downtown is an 80 square block area that will evolve into it's own "city". It will likely be all new construction, and it will be very interesting to see how it grows. Or not. Forget progress, let's focus on the number of parking spaces, and why every project doesn't meet our lofty standards. And we wonder why Omaha remains a second tier city??? We're our own worst critics. Kansas City has 10,000 condos online or in the pipeline, and they aren't afraid to build a new tower. Maybe I need to join their site. I need to focus on rewriting the banquet menu at work. I am taking a break from this website. I love urban planning and growth, but reading so many negative posts is just not productive for me. I'll continue to push for the development of North Downtown, just not on here for awhile.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Yeah, it's kind of silly to think that Cuming presents an obstacle to hotel patrons getting to the Qwest Center. And there are a whole host (so to speak) of hotels between here and the airport which seem to be doing just fine. I'm sure the location would be one considered by Gallup visitors as well. Consider too, this hotel makes the convention space/inPlay attractions that much more suitable for group gatherings/reunions/etc.

That said... don't take people here too personally Chef (especially one or two). Many of us, as you're well aware, are just arm chair planners anyway... more obsessed with how well a rumored highrise will look against a photoshop skyline backdrop... than how many jobs/new downtown residents it may contribute to downtown. In spite of 'us' ... North Downtown, and the metro in general is moving along with what most would consider, exciting momentum. I know I am here as much as anything, to simply anticipate, and cheer on the successes.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The latest "attraction" in North Downtown had it's debut last night. The Forte Banquet and Conference Center, which is part of the InPlay complex, hosted the Omaha Chamber of Commerce After Hours Mixer and mini-trade show. While some finishing touches to the main ballroom remain to be completed, the participants declared the event a success. Almost 200 people attended and they all said they liked the ballroom spaces. Today we have a party for Nextel, and tomorrow we host the Sarpy County Chamber of Commerce in the morning, followed by the Boys and Girls Club of Omaha Scholarship Luncheon at 11:00. Now that the ballrooms are about finished, we are getting a lot of calls for weddings, etc., so the momentum is growing. Upcoming events include the Make-a-Wish Foundation, Jewish Community Center, weddings, and we've even started booking Christmas parties.

So, North Downtown now has two venues open for business and attracting customers!
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Chef, I think you missed my point above. I just don't think that the timing or location is right to build a hotel up there north of Cuming. Yes, NuStyle does own the land, and of course they will be involved in the stadium because they own that land as well, but I think the hotel is still in the wrong location. Will people stay in a hotel up there, probably, and to tell you the truth... knowing how Hampton Inn builds their structures (aesthetically) I am glad that it won't be located on the southern portion of North Downtown. And about the city owning the parking lots for the convention center, that isn't a factor in developing the area. If you notice on the redevelopment plan for the district, buildings are shown on those parcels. Further down the road I think a hotel would be a great idea for that lot once some of the rest of the district begins to build out. Obviously, that wouldn't be feasibly right now. Looking at the rendering of the area you will notice a taller building in that very location that could very well become a hotel in a prime location to serve the convention center and the rest of the North Downtown district. So, relax man, I wasn't making a personal attack on you. There isn't anyone that wants to see this district evolve as envisioned more than I do. Hopefully the city can get some design guidelines in place before developers continue to start doing things there.
WT
New to the Neighborhood

Post by WT »

Harpoon wrote:Hopefully the city can get some design guidelines in place before developers continue to start doing things there.
I couldn't agree with you more. The city or some public/private organization really needs to step up to the plate on this. Without the guidelines set, Joe Blow (or Money) could decide to buy property in the district and throw up some crappy strip mall. Without these guidelines set, Hampton Inn could have thrown their typical suburban model, with a moat of parking around it, in the middle of what should be a great entertainment district. This would be a tragedy for the district. I do not see Hampton Inn going in north of Cuming as such a bad thing however. If it went in south of Cuming, it would be a disaster.

I researched my own question about what was proposed north of the Tip-Top. The document actually does have a master plan of the entire 80 block area. I don't know why it hasn't been posted on here, but it is there. The master plan called for a gas station fronting the street and a large parking lot that is likely for the grocery store. I think I like the idea of the Hampton Inn going in there more than the gas station. I don't understand how it economically will be feasible until a major anchor goes in, but in the long run, it will work.
Omaha Chef wrote:Although the renderings stop at Cuming, the actual renewal district extends several blocks north of Cuming. I guess they didn't know what to put there, or maybe there just wasn't any room on the sheet of paper. As a result the Hampton Inn the investors of InPlay plan to build is not shown.
I guess people on this site (including myself) do not know how to post the actual 80-block master plan. There is a lot shown north of Cuming, including the urban office park, a light industrial area, residential, and an artist live/work district. That is some cool stuff that "they didn't know what to put there." The rendering that keeps getting shown looks cool, but seems to be an earlier version from the final. One thing that tipped me off on this, was the rendering shows an angled building on the block that the master plan shows a theater across the whole block. The angle seems to reflect where the existing railroad tracks are going through the block. The rest of the document refers to the railroad tracks relocated to maintain the entire block.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Approval of the Redevelopment Plan for the Saddle Creek Records project at 14th & Webster is on the Planning Board Agenga for August 3rd.

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/planning/boar ... lt2005.htm

I am looking forward to seeing this one get started. The Bluestone condo part of this block was not on the agenda. Both projects were pulled from the July agenda for revisions.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Addendums 33 & 34..Page 5 of the August 3rd agenda..

Thanks for the heads up Chef!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Well everyone, I have close ties with the people marketing the whole north downtown area, and the name North Downtown is here to stay. That name has already been built within the logo, and that is what is being marketed. I dont think I will be able to get too much information out of them, but aparently there are several prospective clients who are interested in building in the North Downtown area. Hopefully everything pans out correctly
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

*slaps forehead*

I'm never going to move back to Omaha, if that is the case. TAKE THAT PEOPLE!!!!

Or if I do I am going to start a business there and name it "Webster Valley Fill in the Blank"!!!!!!!!!!

BLARGH!!!!!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Swift, your over obsession with transit logos and city district monikers seem to suggest you aren't much on substance. Maybe it's better you spend some more time in San Francisco. :P
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

And Jeff pulls out the snarky card...
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Get back to work slacker!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

nah, I'm going to come back to Omaha.

substance is important too, it's the most important thing really. But when you are trying to achieve substance that you don't have (i.e. public transit patrons, or people to new north downtown) then common sense would have it that you make something as attractive as possible.

I just wish that the city would err on the side of aesthetics a little more often.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

^ Very well said!
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

omahastylee459, have you heard anything about the anchor yet?

Also, Omaha and the Qwest Center should make a pretty penny selling off all those parking lots to developers. This could make a pretty large dent in the debt of the Qwest Center that needs to be paid off. :D
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Of course, I have to side with Bob (Swift) on this one.

I was interning at HDR when they were just starting the North Downtown study. I was actually there the day they were having a conversation about what to name the district on the study, because they knew whatever it was named would most likely become the generally accepted name. They went with North Downtown. WHY!

Anyway, I will never call it that. I guess I'll just have to settle for "North Downtown"...which, depending on what the neighborhood becomes, could become a very becoming, alluring name.

*Three "becomes" in one sentence....that's right, I went there.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

omahastylee459, have you heard anything about the anchor yet?
Nope sorry, they havent told me anything specific, but I think I can pull some strings and manage to get it out of them. They also informed me that there is no other place in the US with the name North Downtown, but in cases like soma, there are tons of districts/buildings/organizations named soma. If you guys dont like North Downtown so much, why arent you complaining about soma too? North Downtown is not that bad of a name, and there isnt much of a reason to be stubborn about it, I highly doubt the name will change.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I thought Denver had a North Downtown?

Aside from the fact that SOMA is a development and not a district/neighborhood, I just think that SOMA sounds way better than North Downtown.

I'm not really as upset about it as it may seem. Just slightly dissapointed. BUT the Castro district here in SF used to be called Eureka Valley. That didn't change until the 70's when a slew of gay business owners weren't allowed to join the Eureka Valley Business Assoc. so they started their own (called Castro St. Business Assoc. or something like that).

Of course that was a huge social revolution, but it gives me hope that someday we will have a more romantic name for North Downtown than North Downtown.

Oh and also to me, North Downtown sounds blatantly like "Hey guys, let's build a tourist destination!" Which isn't that big a deal. I'm fine with tourist destinations. But when I first heard about this project I got really excited about living there. North Downtown doesn't sound like a neighborhood name to me.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Oh and also to me, North Downtown sounds blatantly like "Hey guys, let's build a tourist destination!"
You mean like "KC Live!" ? :lol:
Calibraskan
Home Owners Association

Post by Calibraskan »

SOMA does sound good.....North Downtown..??? Rymes with Dodo, as in Dodo Bird.
Or "No Dough" :? ....As in- Isn't that the problem the city is having with the Quest Center...and the BRIDGE ?!!

I don't really see the "tourist attraction" connotation in North Downtown. Wouldn't that be a POSITIVE direction?
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Denver has a LoDo, which was basically an adapted name during its resurgence in the 80s.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

'I just call it North Downtown.'..

I second that!..

Amazing how we have all gotten so caught up in this 'name issue'..Which carries no substance as it relates to the positive development plans for North Downtown..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Denver has a LoDo, which was basically an adapted name during its resurgence in the 80s.

If you visit downtown Denver, the streetlight signs when you enter the "LoDo" area call it the historic Lower Downtown area.

I don't mind if people want to call it North Downtown, but I really hope the city puts the North Downtown it stands for on the area signage, maps, visitor guides, etc...