2406 Farnam

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

2406 Farnam

Post by iamjacobm »

Design-A-Sign is leaving their space in this building(not sure to where). Hopefully a developer will spend a little money to update the property and something else can come in to help the growing neighborhood. With a lot of residential development happening in this area and having a brand new hotel across the street this seems like a great time to jump.

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Re: 2406 Farnam

Post by SaveOmaha »

iamjacobm wrote:Design-A-Sign is leaving their space in this building(not sure to where).  Hopefully a developer will spend a little money to update the property and something else can come in to help the growing neighborhood.  With a lot of residential development happening in this area and having a brand new hotel across the street this seems like a great time to jump.

Great, thanks for the update. This would be the cool spot for a grocery or drug store.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

It's a relatively simple building, but the dark red brick and white terra cotta really look great. If the disgusting aluminum storefront was removed and original windows filled in with dark mullions and glass, it would look awesome. It's the perfect layout for a corner store, too.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like this sold. Sign is down and dumpsters out front.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

You could easily add two or three floors to that building
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

iamjacobm wrote:Looks like this sold. Sign is down and dumpsters out front.
Yay, this is great news. I live near here, and have always thought this building has great potential. Will be nice when this, the hotel and the Hog Wild building are all finished. Add these, together with the development over on Harney (Greenstreet, Mug Life, etc) and you have a nice little neighborhood feel coming along!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Pining for a new 4-5 floor affordable appartment with retail bays here.
15-17, 26, 32
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

MTO wrote:Pining for a new 4-5 floor affordable appartment with retail bays here.
If only... They'll probably be "Market Rate."
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

Seth wrote:It's a relatively simple building, ... If the disgusting aluminum storefront was removed and original windows filled in with dark mullions and glass, it would look awesome.
You mean these little guys?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I agree. I had not spent much time looking at this building, even though I would park across the street when shooting the Even Hotel. If they put in windows similar to the building on the south side of Farnam as seen in the first pic, I think it would really make this an attractive building again!
image.jpg
image.jpg (204.82 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (196.8 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Garrett wrote:
MTO wrote:Pining for a new 4-5 floor affordable appartment with retail bays here.
If only... They'll probably be "Market Rate."
Maybe we should require developers to contribute a small percentage toward lower income housing with the contribution percentage increasing the higher-end their project is targeting. I'm not sure what would be reasonable, it would take some looking into the numbers specifically in our little market to know whats best but it wouldn't have to be very much because you can just pool the money. Then once theres enough to build any low income units the developer should be required to, or defer the funds to OHA.
15-17, 26, 32
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

I would be pleasantly surprised if the building stays.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

If it's demo'd, odds are the replacement would be multi-story mixed-use, and if it fits the urban style of other recent developments in the area and by that owner, would be a good fit. This is a case where I wouldn't be so sad to see an old building go to make room for something with better function for the area, since it's not that noteworthy.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Seth wrote:If it's demo'd, odds are the replacement would be multi-story mixed-use, and if it fits the urban style of other recent developments in the area and by that owner, would be a good fit. This is a case where I wouldn't be so sad to see an old building go to make room for something with better function for the area, since it's not that noteworthy.
A mixed use multi story to replace that, your speaking my language.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So with the Anant news I went on their website. Who knows how recently it has been updated, but under a section called Other projects in pipline they list Holiday Inn Express- Downtown Omaha as one.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

I attended an Omaha City Council meeting last week and a council member brought up that there was another hotel going up on Farnam St. I would bet that would be the Holiday Inn Express.

Also, someone is putting in a restaurant/deli/bar on 24th and Harney. Approved by the council.

With downtown development heading further west and midtown crossing heading further east the Farnam corridor is going to be very impressive.
Back Home in Omaha!
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

jjjjhskr wrote: Also, someone is putting in a restaurant/deli/bar on 24th and Harney. Approved by the council.
is that this?
http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17639
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just talked to a rep from Even Hotels. He said that they bought this building and will most likely tear it down. He said that they are trying to buy other buildings around them including one which has a historic label attached to it. They tried to buy the new brewery's building at 4 times the price, but they were determined to stay there.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Which historic building are they trying to purchase?
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Coyote wrote:I just talked to a rep from Even Hotels. He said that they bought this building and will most likely tear it down. He said that they are trying to buy other buildings around them including one which has a historic label attached to it. They tried to buy the new brewery's building at 4 times the price, but they were determined to stay there.
Why are they acquiring additional property?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I would assume this one to the north?

That site they own now is pretty tight to get a hotel with enough parking on it. Less than half the size that the Hyatt sits on.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seth wrote:Why are they acquiring additional property?
To make their surroundings more esthetically pleasing.
Have no idea which historic building to which he referred.
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

Coyote wrote:I just talked to a rep from Even Hotels. He said that they bought this building and will most likely tear it down. He said that they are trying to buy other buildings around them including one which has a historic label attached to it. They tried to buy the new brewery's building at 4 times the price, but they were determined to stay there.
I hope we are not looking into a north downtown, Creighton style razing of buildings in this area. You've got to integrate yourself into your urban environment, not the other way around. Certainly rehabbing is much more preferable to razing of blocks of buildings, to accomplish this. Also, to the west of the hotel is a large lot, currently used for construction equipment, which already seems like it will be parking. I hope we are not taking 1 forward step and 2 backwards steps by increasing surface lots in this area. Forward thinking for the win!
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

In the most recent planning board agenda, there is an item regarding the rezoning of "MJ Fashions" which is roughly 1 block southwest of this building. I'm commenting in this thread because it is the same developer as this plot and the Even hotel. Anyone know anything of his plans for this area? I think we have enough Holiday Inns.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Taco wrote:In the most recent planning board agenda, there is an item regarding the rezoning of "MJ Fashions" which is roughly 1 block southwest of this building. I'm commenting in this thread because it is the same developer as this plot and the Even hotel. Anyone know anything of his plans for this area? I think we have enough Holiday Inns.
Good catch. I'm going to have to send some feelers out on this...
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

New brewery?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
New brewery?
This can be found here: Farnam 25 (former Smoke Pit)