Leavenworth Rows - an Urban Pocket Neighborhood

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Leavenworth Rows - an Urban Pocket Neighborhood

Post by iamjacobm »

It was mentioned in the Midtown Triangle thread that Dial isn't behind that project anymore, but is still investing in the area. Well according to their website:
Little Marcy
Urban Townhomes
Omaha, NE

Little Marcy is a row house redevelopment project in the heart of Midtown Omaha's Leavenworth Neighborhood. Dial is proud to be working alongside other local developers in an effort to revitalize the area and capitalize on the influx of people moving back to the urban core. The project will be developed in phases but could see as many as 19-30 row houses built over the next five years.
lowplainsdrifter
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Little Marcy

Post by lowplainsdrifter »

The first set of these are moving forward and I believe you can see where framing has started on 31st Street just south of Leavenworth. The design has evolved and I am told it will be much more modern in appearance with flat roofs.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Construction is indeed underway. You can clearly see the three-unit layout with street-level doors and windows that match the previous rendering on the west side. There are three garage doors on the east side. If the design has been revised with flat roofs, it will be interesting to see how it turns out. I kind of like the previous rendering, but I'm sure it will look good either way.

lowplainsdrifter
New to the Neighborhood

Post by lowplainsdrifter »

I stand corrected - these townhouses will be in the bungalow style shown above. Future projects will have a flat roof.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

lowplainsdrifter wrote:I stand corrected - these townhouses will be in the bungalow style shown above.  Future projects will have a flat roof.
These look nice.

Both gable and flat roofs have a well-established precedence in the neighborhood for multi-unit buildings, though, so both should fit in nicely.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I really like the rendering as well.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

This project is coming along pretty well now. I have to say that the scale of this thing really overpowers the houses next to it on Marcy. It's nice seeing a project that doesn't waste a lot of space with surface parking, though.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Saturday Photo Update:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice! Could use projects like this all over East O.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

There's also a new single-family house under construction on Marcy just a couple lots west of 31st. The Assessor shows that "RME Properties" bought it from Reimer's company this spring. It looks like other builders and developers are starting to get involved in the area after seeing the success of UV.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:Image
I'm actually pretty dissappointed in the exterior paint job on this building. The initial rendering showed a nice color combination, but the final product is the typical solid color over everything, with just one contrasting color on a small portion of the trim. It looks like what you get when you ask painting contractors for the cheapest possible bid. It makes the whole place look cheap, and that's not what this development is going for.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I just discovered a number of new rowhouse developments planned for this neighborhood:

I'm liking this trend in this neighborhood. It's a good balance between increasing the density as this part of the city becomes more in demand, but also keeping the quieter residential feel.

Here's the website for the development (appears to be one of Reimer's enterprises): http://www.leavenworthrows.com/
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Wow, that's a huge project. Renderings look good too. New thread?
Brad
City Council

Re: Leavenworth Rows - an Urban Pocket Neighborhood

Post by Brad »

Taco wrote:New thread?
Loos like "Little Marcy" was phase one in the "Leavenworth Rows - an Urban Pocket Neighborhood".

https://www.facebook.com/rowsonleavenworth
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This was the project I was talking about in the Park Ave thread. Forgot we had this one.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Taco wrote:Wow, that's a huge project. Renderings look good too. New thread?
The units shown fronting the alley between Mason and Marcy are interesting. I've seen them in new urban developments in other cities, but I think this is a first for Omaha. I suppose the rowhouses on the old funeral home site on 10th street are similar, though.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

This development was reported on KETV earlier this week: http://www.ketv.com/news/latest-develop ... y/36367192

I'm not sure why KETV chose Aldermans as the focal point of their story, though. A run-down bar is hardly the centerpiece of the neighborhood.

As to the concerns about density, as long as the new units are designed to fit in the neighborhood (which the renderings appear to show), and they're owner-occupied, I'm not worried. It's worth remembering that many of the proposed rowhouse units are being built on properties that had houses cut up into 2, 4, or even more apartments. I dont' have any real net numbers, but I'd be surprised if the total residential units goes up that much, and I'll take attractive owner-occupied rowhouses over slumlords renting destroyed houses any day.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I doubt that the density would be a problem with the townhome/rowhouse design that they have in place. The pins on the map are apartments that exist now. The areas where the row houses are going are blue. They obviously have some more land to acquire if they are going to get 100 units in. The green with red pins are Midtown Properties holdings aka Urban Village. Lots of activity here!

The actual map link is still up in the index, the units per address are in the pins so overall I think the density is not a problem all the garages should help.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

http://www.omaha.com/money/midtown-pois ... mode=story

Wow! 98 rowhouses and 1 single-family dwelling. Simply incredible. Living just South of Hanscom Park, it will be amazing to watch this neighborhood continue to grow and flourish. Now I am just patiently waiting for the same to happen to South 10th, 13th, 16th, 20th, etc. :-) Also, I need some money to invest.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Excellent Article! Thanks for posting!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Future phases going a little more modern.

Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Probably a good idea to change the style. The finished ones look terrible in my opinion.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Midwestern wrote:Probably a good idea to change the style. The finished ones look terrible in my opinion.
Agreed. Quality modern architecture beats badly-done historic imitations any day.

Of course, I personally prefer restored or high-quality historic styles most of the time.
yard salad
Home Owners Association

Post by yard salad »

Sold sign already on the northern-most home for the 3036 Marcy townhome. They're not quite done working on the interior, from what I can tell. The "columns" are finally up on the second story
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

yard salad wrote:Sold sign already on the northern-most home for the 3036 Marcy townhome. They're not quite done working on the interior, from what I can tell. The "columns" are finally up on the second story
The two outside units of that three-plex have sold. Good start for the neighborhood.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:
yard salad wrote:Sold sign already on the northern-most home for the 3036 Marcy townhome. They're not quite done working on the interior, from what I can tell. The "columns" are finally up on the second story
The two outside units of that three-plex have sold. Good start for the neighborhood.
Assuming they went to owner-occupants, and not speculators, it's impressive how quickly they went, and a sign there's solid demand for new quality housing in Midtown. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this, and hoping it continues to blend in and be mixed with rehabs of older structures.
yard salad
Home Owners Association

Post by yard salad »

I'd be surprised if they went to speculators but I suppose it's possible. A few years ago I remember the Urban Village people were starting to sell some of their units along Marcy and were desperate for even one unit to sell so that it could be used as a comparable. Apparently nothing like these townhomes existed in the area, so it was impossible for realtors to estimate their value.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yeah, it seems highly unlikely that a speculator would buy units like these in this location for this price. It would be easy enough to build a similar unit yourself nearby.

I believe one of the houses that UV rehabbed on Marcy sold in the past year or so for about $250k, so perhaps that's set a precedent and established some comparables. All-in-all, I think all of this bodes well for the future of the neighborhood.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 9652 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

$4.3 million in TIF for a 4 phase project that includes 96 row houses among 11 different sites in this neighborhood. This is a pretty massive project, kudos to the developers here.
yard salad
Home Owners Association

Post by yard salad »

There's a huge lot being bulldozed just a few houses down from this project. I saw it this morning while biking to work. I'll try to take some pictures later. I wonder if it's part of the big TIF project that iamjacobm mentioned
yard salad
Home Owners Association

Post by yard salad »

Looks like they demoed a yellow house on 31st. Link
Before:

After:
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I'm sure the neighbors are impressed with the brown dirt vacant lot. The tires are a nice touch, though.
yard salad
Home Owners Association

Post by yard salad »

An old house across 31st street also got demoed recently.
Last edited by yard salad on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
yard salad
Home Owners Association

Post by yard salad »

Saw this sign pop up on 33rd & Mason. Same logo and and name as the completed 31st street project. The rendering on the sign is actually for the 31st street project, but maybe the 33rd street project will have something similar.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There are a bunch of these framed up now, it really changes the appearance of the area!
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

This project, Uptown Urban Dwellings aka Levenworth Rows does have a website now. It is http://www.uptownurbandwellings.com http://www.uptownurbandwellings.com.

The old OWH article http://www.omaha.com/eedition/sunrise/a ... d77c2.html listed 99 total units at these locations:
1. 809 S 31 St., 3034 Marcy St. Seven attached row houses
2. 3078 Mason St.Four attached row houses
3. 912-918 S 31 St., 3112 Mason St. 10 attached row houses
4. 518-526 S 30 St.15 attached row houses
5. 524 Park Ave. Six attached row houses
6. 542 S 30th St.Four attached row houses
7. 3012-3016 Mason St.10 attached row houses
8. 918-924 S 33rd St.12 attached row houses
9. 1002-1016 S 33 St.18 attached row houses
10. 1113 S 31 St.Three attached row houses, one single-family home
11. 1313 S 31st St.Four attached row houses
12. 825 Park Ave.Five attached row houses
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Does anyone know how many of the 99 units proposed are done?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I saw the photos on the website. The units look nice, but what's up with the microwave being 5 inches away from the floor? How are you supposed to insert and remove food when it's so low?? The person who designed the kitchen had one job. :lol:
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Love those! I like when little, sharp projects like this are intermingled with the old houses in inner city neighborhoods. To me, it makes the inner city more exciting and alluring. (Some people want to live in the city core, but they just don't want to deal with the creaks & moans of an old house. Plus, these projects help you appreciate the historic homes even more, imo.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.