Omaha Hotel Boom

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: Omaha Hotel Boom

Post by RockHarbor »

Oh good! I'm so glad to hear that. Thanks, guys. I look at that dirt lot all the time, and try to imagine the hotel being squeezed-in there. I'm looking forward to seeing how it will.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Not sure why the numbers keep fluctuating according to these newspaper articles. According to a story in December 2016 there were over 15,000 (15,039) rooms in 2016. Now the new story quotes an amount that is a few rooms shorter for 2017, 15,032. Maybe those 2016 numbers were late in the year and with the Marriott and some other properties not opening until later in the year, the numbers should rise even more to over 15,800.

Omaha hotels expect full occupancy this weekend for Berkshire Hathaway meeting, even though it will be livestreamed

Some Omahans worried that the livestream, first offered in 2016, would slash in-person attendance at the meeting, the biggest single-day annual gathering in Omaha and an important source of income for hotels, restaurants and retailers.

But it doesn’t seen to be having that effect this year.

Hotels report strong bookings, and Buffett’s office told The World-Herald that requests for shareholder passes to the 2017 meeting are up about 10 percent.

If this translates into people coming to the meeting, that would put attendance back to the record level seen in 2015.

Buffett estimated last year’s meeting attendance at about 40,000, down from the record of about 44,000 at the 2015 meeting, which was a special celebration of 50 years of Buffett leadership.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

According to the latest article on Berkshire...the Omaha area now has over 15,700 hotel rooms, with another 850 under construction or planned within the next few years.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omaha adding 'really cool' hotels
Despite recent closures, including the loss of Coco Key near 72nd and Grover Streets, the city has seen a 2% increase in hotel rooms, said Deborah Ward, Visit Omaha's executive director.

New additions to the downtown hotel landscape, in addition to the Peregrine, include The Farnam, at 13th and Farnam Streets, and Hotel Indigo, at 18th and Dodge Streets.

The three completed hotels add a total of 299 rooms to Omaha's downtown.

The Blackstone district saw the opening of the newly renovated Cottonwood Hotel — formerly the Blackstone Hotel — near 36th and Farnam Streets in 2020. The Cottonwood added 205 rooms.
Really awesome to see the city adding over 500 hotels even during a pandemic!

Room at Hotel Indigo
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Douglas County has nearly 10,000 hotel rooms

Omaha World-Herald

The city has seen a 2% increase in hotel rooms, said Deborah Ward, Visit Omaha's executive director.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

I remember back in the mid 80's the only business class hotel downtown was the Red Lion. Then I believe in the late 80's the Radisson opened in the Art Deco Redick building which added just 89 rooms. Back then the main hotel district in Omaha was around 72nd and I-80. Except for the Old Market which was thriving , downtown Omaha struggled with office and retail vacancies and a perception of being unsafe by many. Downtown Omaha today is much healthier with an abundance of hotels.
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

As long as occupancy is high, keep adding.