Lot B Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

MTO wrote:Even I think 25 stories on Lot B would look awful.
I am confused as to why 25 story tower in Lot B would be bad or out of place. I think there is a 0% chance of it happening but it would seem totally appropriate to me and would be nice to have a taller building with a little separation from the central core. I mean a little separation literally because it would only be 6 blocks from the city's tallest building.

I am assuming that in this scenario the other 3 blocks of Lot B would also be occupied by multistory buildings of 3 or more floors.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
MTO wrote:Even I think 25 stories on Lot B would look awful.
I am confused as to why 25 story tower in Lot B would be bad or out of place. I think there is a 0% chance of it happening but it would seem totally appropriate to me and would be nice to have a taller building with a little separation from the central core. I mean a little separation literally because it would only be 6 blocks from the city's tallest building.

I am assuming that in this scenario the other 3 blocks of Lot B would also be occupied by multistory buildings of 3 or more floors.
I wouldn't appose it but I'm just talking esthetically it would look a little out of place.
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Uh, the city already said there would be height restrictions on Lot B.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

25 stories looks out of place now because it would be surrounded by parking lots. Here's an example of a 25 story building near other reasonable height infill:

P.S. Maybe these Lot B discussions are better off in: Lot B Development
Brad
City Council

Re: Lot B Development

Post by Brad »

Dundeemaha wrote:P.S. Maybe these Lot B discussions are better off in: Lot B Development
I moved them.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I just wish that someone would bust loose with a 25 story condo or apartment tower on one of the vacant or parking lots on Capitol.
I think you will see exactly that at the Lot B site.
I'm (again) rolling with Catherine33 here..

Don't be surprised if down the line, this comes to fruition.. And let's not forget the potential of the library site :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I may have missed something...but what credentials does catherine have? Meaning no offense, but i am curious what ties she has or how the info is coming to her. Just speaks to the cedibility, ya know? It gets my hopes up big time....just dont want to get Minarded.
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

thenewguy wrote:I may have missed something...but what credentials does catherine have? Meaning no offense, but i am curious what ties she has or how the info is coming to her. Just speaks to the cedibility, ya know? It gets my hopes up big time....just dont want to get Minarded.
FWIW, As far as I know, Catherine has been ahead of the curve on numerous projects in town. So I give her a slight nod on this, however, I have heard an obstructed view to either the CLink or TDA is high on the RFP recommended list for MECA. But I will giver her a sliiiiight nod right now ....
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The recent Grow Omaha guess said they were highly skeptical of any high rise residential projects. Then he went on to mention the Dallas and Phoenix metros as examples but glossed over Des Mounes's two projects.. and he unfortunately said urban style suburban projects are more likely.
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

thenewguy wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I just wish that someone would bust loose with a 25 story condo or apartment tower on one of the vacant or parking lots on Capitol.
I think you will see exactly that at the Lot B site.
I'm (again) rolling with Catherine33 here..

Don't be surprised if down the line, this comes to fruition.. And let's not forget the potential of the library site :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I may have missed something...but what credentials does catherine have? Meaning no offense, but i am curious what ties she has or how the info is coming to her. Just speaks to the cedibility, ya know? It gets my hopes up big time....just dont want to get Minarded.
Fair question..

As I've said in the past, she's had a solid track record of accuracy this year..I'm sure when she comes back around the forum, she'll provide a response..

As far as getting Minarded, I've covered myself by not allowing excitement "done deal" thoughts to come into my head until earth has moved, holes dug, steel coming into place and tower cranes in the air.. in other words, proposals are nice.. but mean nothing until I see action and evidence...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The only thing I've seen Catherine predict is HDR going to AV after they pulled out of DT. Her predictions of a "San Antonio Riverwalk", light rail extending to the zoo, Kiewit building a tower on the library lot, and a 25 story building on lot B seem far fetched.
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Catherine33 »

We all know that in Omaha there is a relatively small group of wealthy individuals who control or strongly influence things like major development projects. I am not one of these wealthy individuals but I am privy to some of what gets discussed. Condo tower is not a done deal, but how to make it happen is being discussed and is very likely to get done imo. Honestly, the reason I think it gets done is bc a good number of these individuals want to have a place there. By this I mean a place to go occasionally to entertain out of town friends and show off the city, watch the CWS from, that type of thing. To address River Walk, library moving to Civic. City attorneys are working on an issue that if a resolution cannot be found would put River Walk in jeopardy, but not library moving. That will happen.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Let's give people a break In speculations. I have made my fair share on good information that never materialized. In 2007 I said the old Sophir Morris building on 27th St was going to become a Quiktrip on information that was available but never made it past initial reviews (even Grow Omaha Nebraska bought my speculation). Besides. I think I know who Catherine is, and trust these posts...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Wouldn't they need to get clearance from the airport authority? If memory serves the area around the Clink is something they've chimed on in the past in regard to height of buildings.

Greg
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Greg S wrote:Wouldn't they need to get clearance from the airport authority? If memory serves the area around the Clink is something they've chimed on in the past in regard to height of buildings.
Greg
I don't think that the city would need clearance from the Airport Authority but they would probably listen.

There are no flight paths that go over downtown Omaha and a 10 to 30 story building would be way to small to concern most any airport unless it was close to the airport and right on a flight path.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Catherine33 wrote:We all know that in Omaha there is a relatively small group of wealthy individuals who control or strongly influence things like major development projects. I am not one of these wealthy individuals but I am privy to some of what gets discussed. Condo tower is not a done deal, but how to make it happen is being discussed and is very likely to get done imo. Honestly, the reason I think it gets done is bc a good number of these individuals want to have a place there. By this I mean a place to go occasionally to entertain out of town friends and show off the city, watch the CWS from, that type of thing. To address River Walk, library moving to Civic. City attorneys are working on an issue that if a resolution cannot be found would put River Walk in jeopardy, but not library moving. That will happen.

Nobody wants that 3 1/2 million dollar Riverfront penthouse for sale.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

choke wrote:
Catherine33 wrote:We all know that in Omaha there is a relatively small group of wealthy individuals who control or strongly influence things like major development projects. I am not one of these wealthy individuals but I am privy to some of what gets discussed. Condo tower is not a done deal, but how to make it happen is being discussed and is very likely to get done imo. Honestly, the reason I think it gets done is bc a good number of these individuals want to have a place there. By this I mean a place to go occasionally to entertain out of town friends and show off the city, watch the CWS from, that type of thing. To address River Walk, library moving to Civic. City attorneys are working on an issue that if a resolution cannot be found would put River Walk in jeopardy, but not library moving. That will happen.

Having a place that overlooks the CWS and is across the street from the Clink while also being much more accessible to the city at large is way different from River Front Place. Towers like this are all about status and money.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Garrett wrote:
choke wrote:

Having a place that overlooks the CWS and is across the street from the Clink while also being much more accessible to the city at large is way different from River Front Place. Towers like this are all about status and money.
http://www.cbshome.com/homes-for-sale/5 ... -147801023
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

choke wrote:
Garrett wrote:
choke wrote:

Yes, that is indeed the listing of the place you discussed. Just because a $3.5 million place in an odd location isn't selling doesn't mean more affordable units in a better location in a newer tower won't.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:Let's give people a break In speculations. I have made my fair share on good information that never materialized. In 2007 I said the old Sophir Morris building on 27th St was going to become a Quiktrip on information that was available but never made it past initial reviews (even Grow Omaha Nebraska bought my speculation). Besides. I think I know who Catherine is, and trust these posts...
Coyote is a good dude, I'm placing my trust on you with this referral Catherine. :thumb:
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:
Coyote wrote:Let's give people a break In speculations. I have made my fair share on good information that never materialized. In 2007 I said the old Sophir Morris building on 27th St was going to become a Quiktrip on information that was available but never made it past initial reviews (even Grow Omaha Nebraska bought my speculation). Besides. I think I know who Catherine is, and trust these posts...
Coyote is a good dude, I'm placing my trust on you with this referral Catherine. :thumb:
I will certainly jump for joy if Catherine is correct. Even the Grinch MTO might have his heart grow 3 sizes.
No posts exist for this topic
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Garrett wrote:
choke wrote:
Garrett wrote:
choke wrote:

Yes, that is indeed the listing of the place you discussed. Just because a $3.5 million place in an odd location isn't selling doesn't mean more affordable units in a better location in a newer tower won't.
What, a measly 3.5 mil?
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

choke wrote:
Garrett wrote:
choke wrote:

Oof. They're asking 3.3 million for this piece of real estate and have TYPOS in the listing? ("Acquarium" on photo 7)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
I will certainly jump for joy if Catherine is correct. Even the Grinch MTO might have his heart grow 3 sizes.
Despite Catherine's info though, I will have to put my own guess on a huge probability on this district from the sources I have heard though... From what I hear, and what I believe I posted previously, the MECA people do not want their Crown Jewels from being hidden by such a large structure. I have my bets on a Rail Yard type of district depending on what the Capitol District provides. I see another quad with an inner court, only three stories, with retail, office, condo construction. I really do not think any other suggestion will make it to the Planning Commission. I don't even know if I want to be wrong... I think this area should be vertically challenged as MECA wants it to be. There are better areas for high rises.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well now I'm conflicted because my intuition concurs with Coyote but me agreeing with Coyote breaks Newton's Fourth Law.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
Despite Catherine's info though, I will have to put my own guess on a huge probability on this district from the sources I have heard though... From what I hear, and what I believe I posted previously, the MECA people do not want their Crown Jewels from being hidden by such a large structure. I have my bets on a Rail Yard type of district depending on what the Capitol District provides. I see another quad with an inner court, only three stories, with retail, office, condo construction. I really do not think any other suggestion will make it to the Planning Commission. I don't even know if I want to be wrong... I think this area should be vertically challenged as MECA wants it to be. There are better areas for high rises.
I still think that this area should have no more than 5 to 10 story buildings at most. My hopes were more aimed at Catherine being right about the library site and that high rise.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I actually hope that lot B is no higher than 3 if must 4 stories.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
I don't even know if I want to be wrong... .
If filling Lot B with low rise buildings is wrong......then I don't want to be right :banana: . Although, Stothert did offer Lot B up to HDR in her desperation to have them build downtown.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If it were to happen a high-rise could look great here. The biggest issue would be the design and quality of material b/c it would be front and center on the skyline from the north and not have the luxury of hiding with the rest of the buildings.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mayor Stothert mentions Lot B as a 10 year project that would offer retail and dining options to boost the Convention Center, but would like to make it easier for people to get to the Old Market without having to use 10th St. She didn't give much more detail about a walkway or even transit, but did mention there would have to be a parking structure in Lot D.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Coyote wrote:Mayor Stothert mentions Lot B as a 10 year project that would offer retail and dining options to boost the Convention Center, but would like to make it easier for people to get to the Old Market without having to use 10th St. She didn't give much more detail about a walkway or even transit, but did mention there would have to be a parking structure in Lot D.
That would be the best use of that property. A high rise makes very little sense there. We need to enhance the entertainment options.

If we get another highrise soon, it doesnt belong there.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Erik wrote:
Coyote wrote:Mayor Stothert mentions Lot B as a 10 year project that would offer retail and dining options to boost the Convention Center, but would like to make it easier for people to get to the Old Market without having to use 10th St. She didn't give much more detail about a walkway or even transit, but did mention there would have to be a parking structure in Lot D.
That would be the best use of that property. A high rise makes very little sense there. We need to enhance the entertainment options.

If we get another highrise soon, it doesnt belong there.
I agree. With Capitol District right there with the centurylink and td am, more dining and retail makes sense rather than office or residential high rise. I still think Catherine was spot on with a high rise on the current library land.
#gohawks
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I totally agree with the parking garage in Lot D
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Lot D should have been a parking garage to begin with. Maybe it just wasn't in the budget, but in order to maximize the viability of this area, the main parking supply for Century Link and TDA needs to be a garage or two. Now they'll have spent unnecessary money on building a surface lot on top of going back and demolishing it for a garage. Not to mention the surface lot they built and demolished where the Capitol District is now being built.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Lot D should have been a parking garage to begin with. Maybe it just wasn't in the budget, but in order to maximize the viability of this area, the main parking supply for Century Link and TDA needs to be a garage or two. Now they'll have spent unnecessary money on building a surface lot on top of going back and demolishing it for a garage. Not to mention the surface lot they built and demolished where the Capitol District is now being built.
There was no demand for a garage 13 years ago why waste 8x the money and leave the other lots what? Grass? It costs waayyy less to build lots and tear them up than sink a ton of money in to garages especially when you've got tons of undesired land.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

So wait, building a surface lot, tearing it down, and then building a garage is cheaper than just building a garage? Here again, if it wasn't in the budget at the time and they needed a few Nickelback concerts to come through to make a profit, fine, but if they had the money and there just wasn't demand yet, that's poor planning.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Let's use 500 spaces as an example: at 18k per space a garage costs 9mil. With 20% down 5% interest on a 15 year term that's just over $3 million in interest payments. Not to mention the maintenance costs for the unproductive grass (read weed filled) lots didn't go away just because there weren't parking spaces.

Cost to build 500 surface lot spaces: $2 million

So yes it can be more expensive.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Gotta agree with Dundeemaha here. CenturyLink Omaha opened in 2003, but you've got to look at the design/plan phase of it so you're talking more like ~17 years ago. No need to put all the extra money up front for the "hope" that all of north downtown is rapidly developed and that we need a parking garage - keep in mind the enormous expanse of land we're talking about. CenturyLink was the first domino to fall. There was a lot of garbage land that had to be cleared out anyways, be it as surface lots or empty gravel lots. It would have made even less sense to have built a costly parking garage at the time while there was a square mile of destitute land surrounding the place.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

In addition to need, there was no more money years ago to build the garage, they were pretty tapped out on everything else.

Greg
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

So are the CLink convention center expansion, parking Garage in Lot D and pedestrian bridge to the riverfront something that would happen simultaneously? Lot D parking structure has to happen before Lot B can be developed.

So what we may see is a master plan for CLink expansion, pedestrian bridge, and complete development plans for Lot B and Lot D. That is a master plan for about 17 blocks of downtown Omaha, Clink expansion and Bridge (1 block), Lot B (4 blocks), and Lot D (about 12 blocks). This is a hugely important plan they are making.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Greg S wrote:In addition to need, there was no more money years ago to build the garage, they were pretty tapped out on everything else.

Greg

All the city had to do was auction off some more items from the Durham Museum to pay for a garage in Lot D.