Lot B Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: Lot B Development

Post by GetUrban »

RNcyanide wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:They gonna wipe out that stretch of 480 while they're at it??
That image got me really excited that MECA might be pushing for taking down 480, but it looks like it's just a parking map from the td ameritrade park website and they just left out the interstate to reduce clutter.

http://www.tdameritradeparkomaha.com/Di ... rking.aspx
Yeah that was what I was thinking too.
It would have to first be listed on the National Register of Historical Places to even be considered for demolition, in Omaha. :;):
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The Mayor gave an interview with OWH on Downtown Parking a couple interesting comments on Lot B.

1) The City owns this Lot, it is not controlled by MECA.

2) When this lot is redeveloped they will look to replace this parking with a parking garage in Lot D not with a parking garage in Lot B.

So you could redevelop all four of the blocks of Lot B and not give up a block or two to massive parking garages for the Clink.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That is Great news!
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

All of this is just so great. So city gives MECA authority to run city owned property for 99 years, MECA tells city what they want on the land, city says MECA doesn't have that kind of authority. Maybe its b/c I follow Omaha so closely, but dang some redic stuff happens here.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/meca-om ... 9682f.html
City Attorney Paul Kratz raised concerns in an August letter to MECA board members.

“Unfortunately, it appears that MECA is avoiding city input on the issue” of Lot B, he wrote.

In particular, he objected to MECA’s characterization in a press release that the MECA board “will ultimately determine a development plan for Lot B.”
He noted that MECA doesn’t have the legal authority to attach restrictions to a city-owned property.

Stothert said MECA’s vote Tuesday represented the organization “unilaterally trying to impose restrictions without working with the other parties.”

She said Omaha has an obligation to construct only 850 replacement stalls, and not necessarily where MECA wants.

“How do they get to 1,200 stalls from 850?” she said.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

Hmm, I wonder if MECA considers a 5 or 6 story building as tall enough to "interfere with the signs" at the CenturyLink and TD Ameritrade Park.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The city should dissolve the MECA board and taking back full control of the CenturyLink and Ameritrade Park.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Sounds like MECA was trying to strong arm the city and got shut down.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:The city should dissolve the MECA board and taking back full control of the CenturyLink and Ameritrade Park.
Agreed. :clap:

Or at the very least redefine their role with more emphasis on maintenance and event planning, not development of the property.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

MECA should definitely stick to running the CLINK and TRADE....This looks so Hokey...

Omaha World Herald: North downtown could get a Ferris wheel, a zipline and party houses during next year’s College World Series and the Olympic Swim Trials.
In an effort to provide more family-friendly activities and draw fans to 10th Street, the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority is looking at adding several activities near TD Ameritrade Park next year.
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/thinkin ... 24a76.html

The CWS and Swim Trials themselves are the attraction. Don't need all of the other |expletive|.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That looks super classy.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

The zipline and ferris wheel are amazing ideas! However the huts... Really?

They should make a permanent ferris wheel there, right by the entrance to the new pedestrian bridge extension. :banger:
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Those little shacks look like some artsy protest about homelessness where they put up a bunch of microhouses in a public area.
Huskerjim15
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Huskerjim15 »

Seth wrote:Those little shacks look like some artsy protest about homelessness where they put up a bunch of microhouses in a public area.
The drawings look terrible but I don’t know why everyone’s down on this idea. I think, if done properly, you could bring in these temporary “huts” and have a great atmosphere. Think Las Vegas cabana with bottle service and bring in a temporary pool, always hot as heck during the series. It could be a really profitable high end corporate sponsorship type deal. Do it right and I think it would be amazing!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

From the Grow Omaha Show: this is still moving but there's going to be too much time waisted talking and talking and talking before any decisions.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Committee working on plan to develop parking lot between CenturyLink Center, TD Ameritrade Park

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/committ ... e9ecb.html
Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The City of Omaha and MECA are working together on a plan for the parking lot to the southwest of 10th and Mike Fahey Streets.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I truly hope these studies are worth it $85,000 for something we could have told them years ago.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MTO wrote:I truly hope these studies are worth it $85,000 for something we could have told them years ago.
We should probably have a study to make sure this study is actually worth it :lol:
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

MTO wrote:I truly hope these studies are worth it $85,000 for something we could have told them years ago.
Just need to summarize accumulated forum consensus, format it into a presentable form, and send them a PDF, along with a bill. :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like MECA is bringing in HR&A Advisors to consult on Lot B development. They have an impressive portfolio including The High Line in NYC.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:Looks like MECA is bringing in HR&A Advisors to consult on Lot B development. They have an impressive portfolio including The High Line in NYC.
So it's MECA that is leading on Lot B development, not the city?

Greg
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Are they a consulting firm? Do they do the architecture too?
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Looks like MECA is bringing in HR&A Advisors to consult on Lot B development. They have an impressive portfolio including The High Line in NYC.
So it's MECA that is leading on Lot B development, not the city?

Greg
MECA wants to control as much as possible. Basically the front door to their facilities.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:Are they a consulting firm? Do they do the architecture too?
http://www.hraadvisors.com/about/
HR&A ADVISORS, INC. (HR&A) IS AN INDUSTRY-LEADING CONSULTING FIRM PROVIDING SERVICES IN REAL ESTATE, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, AND PROGRAM DESIGN & IMPLEMENTATION.

We have provided strategic advisory services for some of the most complex mixed-use, neighborhood, downtown, campus, and regional development projects across North America and abroad for forty years. We understand the importance of linking accretive private investment with public resources to support investors and communities’ responsibilities and aspirations.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Most recent blurb of information said the committees site planning and concept design should be done by the end of October.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

From September's meeting.
Real Estate Committee Mr. Jay Noddle stated that the Real Estate Committee’s activities have been focused on and limited to the work the Lot B Study Group is accomplishing. The first priority of MECA as a participant on this Lot B Study Group is, first and foremost, to see to it that commitments made to MECA’s clients are fulfilled to the best of MECA’s ability to meet or exceed their expectations. Focus primarily comes down to facility parking and ease of access. The second priority is that if Lot B is to be redeveloped, there is a guideline in place to influence a great outcome. The Real Estate Committee, which includes the members from the Lot B Study Group, will meet tomorrow with all the consultants. The Lot B Study Group and the consultants will make a comprehensive recommendation to the Committee. It will include parking solutions and cost estimates for those parking solutions, should Lot B be redeveloped. It will contain recommendations for Lot B redevelopment that includes use and density recommendations, building heights, and how branding might be handled. Ultimately that will lead to a recommended pallet of materials. There will also be discussion and focus on some possible site configurations. Mr. Noddle would expect that the Committee will accept the recommendations due to the amount of work put into the study. It is important to realize that this package is a guide. If the Committee embraces the recommendation, the next step will be for the Lot B Study Group to craft a recommended governance and implementation structure. The following step would be to have the City and MECA formally adopt the plan and make a Covenant recording against the land. At that point, the Committee would not be needed again until a development opportunity presents itself, whether it’s through the City, MECA or Donors Trust, etc. However, Mr. Noddle feels there may be a need for on-going work of the Study Group due to the number of other initiatives involved in and around the downtown area. Hopefully, it will be known before the next Board of Director’s meeting what the Study Group has recommended to MECA, the City, and Community.
Chairwoman Duren inquired about what will be done to ensure that there will be a competitive bidding process in place if interest is indicated for redevelopment. Mr. Noddle responded that information will all come through in the structure of the governance/marketing/implementation of the plan.

Mr. Theisen noted a concern that replacement parking must be in place before redevelopment could take place. Mr. Dixon reminded the Board of its Resolution adopted regarding replacement parking. Mr. Noddle added that the Study Group’s recommendation will come to MECA’s Board and time will be spent carefully vetting and understanding it before proceeding. Chairwoman Duren noted that it is very clear that MECA’s client’s needs must be met first and she believes the Study Group has come up with some good viable options that may change the resolution slightly.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Willie Theisen was on Grow Omaha Saturday and he gave very vague details about the project. The only thing new was that, of course, the NCAA, Creighton and others were involved in the planning and that TD Ameritrade and the CLink would have to be very visible. I am believing it will only be three stories if that, including retail, office space and residential units. I am going to have to listen to that segment again to see if he gave up more innuendos.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Will be interesting to see how they play it. Underground parking is probably a no go at that location with the water table. I doubt they want a big hulking garage to be the first thing you see out of the outfield at TDA.

Likely a large covered outdoor plaza like P&L surrounded by entertainment.

Office components would be interesting at that location, not exactly near the services in the CBD. Again could be a spot to have our name on national TV for two weeks too.

Another hotel like Aloft would be a nice anchor if it was planned into the development well.

Really excited to see what they come up with. Such a premier site need to do it right.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Coyote wrote:Willie Theisen was on Grow Omaha Saturday and he gave very vague details about the project. The only thing new was that, of course, the NCAA, Creighton and others were involved in the planning and that TD Ameritrade and the CLink would have to be very visible. I am believing it will only be three stories if that, including retail, office space and residential units. I am going to have to listen to that segment again to see if he gave up more innuendos.
If we want to make sure both the CLink and TD Amerie Rade are highly visible you might as well leave it parking. You can get anymore visible than being next to a flat parking lot.

Seriously, if you do 2 to 4 floors you are wasting your time and a perfectly good buildable lot. I'm not looking for 20 floors, I'm looking for something like that across from the Guntheire Theater and the Mill Museum in downtown Minneapolis. Both are in the location the CLink is at and are as close to the 6 floor rbuilding across the street. The building is an O encompassing a parking garage in the center. Floor 1 is retail, floor 2 is office, and the rest are apartments. This is also a block away from the Viking Stadium.

You don't need a study, and you don't need small Omaha thinking. Go out and look at other cities.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Willie Theisen was on Grow Omaha Saturday and he gave very vague details about the project. The only thing new was that, of course, the NCAA, Creighton and others were involved in the planning and that TD Ameritrade and the CLink would have to be very visible. I am believing it will only be three stories if that, including retail, office space and residential units. I am going to have to listen to that segment again to see if he gave up more innuendos.
I really don't like that the NCAA and Creighton have influence on a lot they don't own, but that's life I guess.
No posts exist for this topic
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I had the original OWH special section from 1999 or 2000 that was published before the big vote on MECA & the convention center/arena. I kept it for years though now I don't have it anymore. If I ever get back to Omaha I'd go to the main library & look it up on microfiche, if they still have it. I have no idea if they even do that anymore. It's probably been over 20 years since I was in the main library. If any of you have a few hours to kill go for it.

It was probably 20 pages & had renderings of the arena/convention center, and more importantly to this discussion it had renderings of the area around North Downtown, including the lots directly across the street which showed multiuse buildings, parking garages, etc. It's probably all moot now with the TDA & lack of vision on the part of city leaders. Still, it's an interesting read.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

NovakOmaha wrote:I had the original OWH special section from 1999 or 2000 that was published before the big vote on MECA & the convention center/arena. I kept it for years though now I don't have it anymore. If I ever get back to Omaha I'd go to the main library & look it up on microfiche, if they still have it. I have no idea if they even do that anymore. It's probably been over 20 years since I was in the main library. If any of you have a few hours to kill go for it.

It was probably 20 pages & had renderings of the arena/convention center, and more importantly to this discussion it had renderings of the area around North Downtown, including the lots directly across the street which showed multiuse buildings, parking garages, etc. It's probably all moot now with the TDA & lack of vision on the part of city leaders. Still, it's an interesting read.
I will have to check...I might still have it. I know I still have the article about the First National Tower when it was built and it was around that same time.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I could check the databases at UNO maybe next week when I have more time. They have a ton of archived OWH content.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

How can you not obstruct the visibility to one degree or another at any height. I hope that means low rises with maybe plazas and a high rise off Cuming street. It would be stupid to build four blocks of two floors.
15-17, 26, 32
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

skinzfan23 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I had the original OWH special section from 1999 or 2000 that was published before the big vote on MECA & the convention center/arena. I kept it for years though now I don't have it anymore. If I ever get back to Omaha I'd go to the main library & look it up on microfiche, if they still have it. I have no idea if they even do that anymore. It's probably been over 20 years since I was in the main library. If any of you have a few hours to kill go for it.

I will have to check...I might still have it. I know I still have the article about the First National Tower when it was built and it was around that same time.
I had one of fnb that had the renderings of the tower they didn't use. Lost it of course. Can't find it online anywhere for the life of me.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Would it be possible to put up a small archive of our own of the original articles for various buildings? I'd love to see the FNB one.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Lot B in Minneapolis. One side you have the Guthrie Theater and on the other you have the new US Bank Stadium.

See, Put a Parking Garage in the middle of the development and let the buildings rise around it.
Minnie1.jpg
Minnie1.jpg (145 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
Catherine33
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Official: Capitol District

Post by Catherine33 »

NovakOmaha wrote:I just wish that someone would bust loose with a 25 story condo or apartment tower on one of the vacant or parking lots on Capitol.
I think you will see exactly that at the Lot B site.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Catherine33 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:I just wish that someone would bust loose with a 25 story condo or apartment tower on one of the vacant or parking lots on Capitol.
A 25 story tower on Lot B would be horribly out of place for the surrounding area. Ugh, hope that never happens.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Catherine33 wrote:
I'm (again) rolling with Catherine33 here..

Don't be surprised if down the line, this comes to fruition.. And let's not forget the potential of the library site :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Even I think 25 stories on Lot B would look awful.
15-17, 26, 32