Holland's Greenspace

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Re: Holland's Greenspace

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Holland Center or OPA will never see a penny of my money ever.
Except for your share of that $10 million in DT property they are getting for free of course.
Well.....yeah. Sobs in the corner.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:
Coyote wrote:Because HDR didn't want to wait to aquire OPA land,
Which wouldn't sell unless they got all of this property in return,
so the city steps in so they wouldn't lose HDR and upset OPA?
The Omaha Oligarchy wins another round.
Did you intentionally organize this like a poem?
I have been thinking of a good Haiku for this...
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

iamjacobm wrote:Sorry but why the |expletive| is the city spending $10 million of our tax money to buy the property to give it to OPA? Then the OPA gets to make a profit off selling their lot to HDR. What a joke.
Omaha Peforming Arts Society is a non-profit and the Holland is exempt from property taxes. Spend $10 million to clear the way to get a 16 story building on the tax roles, or risk letting the HDR deal fall through and potentially having a two block area of non-taxed land.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

jessep28 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Sorry but why the |expletive| is the city spending $10 million of our tax money to buy the property to give it to OPA? Then the OPA gets to make a profit off selling their lot to HDR. What a joke.
Omaha Peforming Arts Society is a non-profit and the Holland is exempt from property taxes. Spend $10 million to clear the way to get a 16 story building on the tax roles, or risk letting the HDR deal fall through and potentially having a two block area of non-taxed land.
No-profit doesn't mean they make no money. It is ridiculous that OPA gets this sweetheart deal. By the looks of the treasury property taxes on the lot HDR wants as well.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I could be wrong, but I from reading the article, it sounds like the Specht building getting torn down isn't a done deal yet.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

skinzfan23 wrote:I could be wrong, but I from reading the article, it sounds like the Specht building getting torn down isn't a done deal yet.
The total amount of parking in HDR's new digs seems to still be under negotiation as well.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

skinzfan23 wrote:I could be wrong, but I from reading the article, it sounds like the Specht building getting torn down isn't a done deal yet.
That could be true if enough public pressure is applied to OPAS. It's worth a try.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

iamjacobm wrote:
No-profit doesn't mean they make no money. It is ridiculous that OPA gets this sweetheart deal. By the looks of the treasury property taxes on the lot HDR wants as well.
It's not a deal. The legislature exempts those types of organizations from property taxes. Don't like the law, then call your state senator and petition to have the law changed.
nebraska0490
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nebraska0490 »

Everyone should send emails to the OPA and add comments and reviews on their facebook. There has already been some persistence.

https://www.omahaperformingarts.org/about-us/staff/
Info@OmahaPerformingArts.org
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

jessep28 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
It's not a deal. The legislature exempts those types of organizations from property taxes. Don't like the law, then call your state senator and petition to have the law changed.
The deal is getting $10 million in DT property for free. And unless the treasurer report is wrong OPA is paying property tax on the parking lot as it is listed as commercial.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nebraska0490 wrote:Everyone should send emails to the OPA and add comments and reviews on their facebook. There has already been some persistence.
https://www.omahaperformingarts.org/about-us/staff/
Info@OmahaPerformingArts.org
Former CEO of HDR is on OPAS board, and still on HDR board too, fwiw.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

iamjacobm wrote:
The deal is getting $10 million in DT property for free. And unless the treasurer report is wrong OPA is paying property tax on the parking lot as it is listed as commercial.
My mistake. I just looked at the building parcel and assumed the parking lot was exempt too. My original point still stands that the city will make money on this deal by clearing the way to get a taxable 16 story office tower built.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

We will get the increased property taxes in 15 years at the earliest, but I generally like TIF so that's not really an issue for me. If the only issue was the tower the city could have taken the lot from OPA and given it to HDR for probably half what they paid for these buildings.

The issue is that the city paid above market value for a cluster of buildings so that the maybe loose decade long plans can be done easier, but really bc OPA has more sway than anyone. Basically OPA got exactl what they wanted and are going to come out having the tax payers be the ones to pay for their wishes.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

GetUrban wrote:Former CEO of HDR is on OPAS board, and still on HDR board too, fwiw.
Yup. Dick Bell. So these buildings were doomed from the moment HDR undoubtedly told OPA to buy that surface parking lot. That's some back room underhanded BS.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

mr. omaha wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Former CEO of HDR is on OPAS board, and still on HDR board too, fwiw.
Yup. Dick Bell. So these buildings were doomed from the moment HDR undoubtedly told OPA to buy that surface parking lot. That's some back room underhanded BS.
Stay tuned for more back patting yet to come. If by some miracle the Specht building or it's facade does survive, it will most likely be renamed with one of OPA board member names on a plaque drilled and screwed into the cast iron.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

For those of you who have not seen this from one of Omaha's finest Chefs:
Paul Kulik wrote:Le Bouillon, sits on the location that created the Old Market. That's not by coincidence. From that evening that saved the Galinsky building until today this city scorns and annihilates its historic places. We can blame robber baron fat cats that extort the city in a time of crisis, or the city itself as it envisions "progress", or federal judges who want a better view, or construction magnates that had much to gain, or the public's insatiable lust for fields of parking, and now a strong-arm, bad faith Arts community director.

Very few have successfully stood athwart this madness. What Sam Mercer and others created has become, by far, Omaha's most cherished neighborhood.

It is exhausting that this struggle must continue, to rescue the few remaining shreds of Omaha's past. It's infuriating that so few acknowledge the significance and rarity of these structures even as they teem over the Old Market looking for the perfect backdrop for a senior picture or wedding portrait.

We obviously, deeply connect with these brick buildings. Even if we can't say why. We are beyond fortunate that in the wholesale devastation of our past, that somehow, some way, a small shred was saved. And we are bitterly, savagely disappointed that this most recent threat comes from a purported "arts" group.

Real vision would recognize that these are false dichotomies. We can have progress, beautiful panoramas, updated streetscapes, and plenty of parking access all at the same time. Anyone who says differently is disingenuous.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Beautiful.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Awesome read.....mr. omaha has hit the nail on the head here too. We were all just taken for a ride with this whole process. This is as back room as it gets. I'm really looking forward to seeing what a 11 million dollar surface parking lot looks like. Maybe OPA will throw a couple nice flower pots on the corners to spruce it up a little.
ShaneofCal
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ShaneofCal »

Coyote wrote:For those of you who have not seen this from one of Omaha's finest Chefs:
Paul Kulik wrote:Le Bouillon, sits on the location that created the Old Market. That's not by coincidence. From that evening that saved the Galinsky building until today this city scorns and annihilates its historic places. We can blame robber baron fat cats that extort the city in a time of crisis, or the city itself as it envisions "progress", or federal judges who want a better view, or construction magnates that had much to gain, or the public's insatiable lust for fields of parking, and now a strong-arm, bad faith Arts community director.

Very few have successfully stood athwart this madness. What Sam Mercer and others created has become, by far, Omaha's most cherished neighborhood.

It is exhausting that this struggle must continue, to rescue the few remaining shreds of Omaha's past. It's infuriating that so few acknowledge the significance and rarity of these structures even as they teem over the Old Market looking for the perfect backdrop for a senior picture or wedding portrait.

We obviously, deeply connect with these brick buildings. Even if we can't say why. We are beyond fortunate that in the wholesale devastation of our past, that somehow, some way, a small shred was saved. And we are bitterly, savagely disappointed that this most recent threat comes from a purported "arts" group.

Real vision would recognize that these are false dichotomies. We can have progress, beautiful panoramas, updated streetscapes, and plenty of parking access all at the same time. Anyone who says differently is disingenuous.

Where was this published? I can't find it.
mknoff
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mknoff »

Someone found a creative way to vent.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/zip/5301566818.html
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Megan Hunt wrote:Why save these buildings?
1. There are nine parking garages within a 5-minute walk of the Holland center--thank you to Craig Moody for testing that. Able-bodied Omahans need to get used to using their legs, not feeding their parking, automobile, and convenience addiction.

2. Preservation of historic buildings is a way to be efficient and conservative with the resources and infrastructure we already have.

3. Creative redevelopment of historic structures adds value to neighborhoods and attracts young people to join the Omaha workforce.

4. Saving these buildings would contribute to the revitalizing and of the space between the Old Market, North Downtown, and North Omaha, increasing value and accessibility for one of the most racially and economically segregated parts of our city.

5. Doing something forward-thinking for Omaha's corporate culture with respect paid to our architectural history would be great PR for Omaha’s leadership and development record that could garner significant national praise. HDR ought to have engineers who can easily ideate and accomplish this. The long-term effects of positioning Omaha as a city that respects and preserves the aesthetic beauty and uniqueness of its historic architecture would be fantastic.

6. Investing in functional city planning, public transportation, and a well-supported public sector is more sustainable than continuing to rely on our philanthropic community for city planning input, or allowing rich donors to to pull strings for short-term corporate gains.
ShaneofCal
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ShaneofCal »

I felt compelled to comment on the mayor's FB page. Here's what I wrote. A bit long, I know. But I am sad and angry.
___

The irony coming out of by my hometown of Omaha is unbelievable—and unbearable. ConAgra decides to relocate its headquarters to a historical building in Chicago, having demolished entire blocks of historical buildings some twenty-five years ago. And now, an “arts” organization wants to demolish, rather than to incorporate, some of Omaha’s most unique remaining historical structures, all to make way for a parking garage under the guise of a “mixed use development.” Not only is the elected leadership of Omaha supportive, as they were with ConAgra, but they are actively and willingly participating. Is anyone else foaming at the mouth? I for one am completely dumbfounded.

With wonderful redevelopment projects taking place around the city, such as the KETV’s renovation of the Burlington Station, I honestly (and foolishly) believed Omaha’s citizenry and leadership had finally turned a significant corner. That it had finally become a city that truly valued its historical buildings—seeing both their long-term cultural and financial benefits. But no, nothing to be had here but pure unadulterated disappointment.

Working in Silicon Valley and having attended a school known to produce the type of tech talent Omaha so desperately desires to attract—as a means to propel its economy into the 21st Century—I can promise the Omaha leadership that this decision is counter productive to its aims. It demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of what largely matters to this educated, middle to high earning group who by and large have no connection to Omaha. Decisions like this will ensure that Omaha’s share of “Silicon Prairie” is never fully realized.

This was nothing short of an opportunity for Omaha to claim a new image, which for a fleeting moment the mayor seemed prepared to grab hold of. But to do so required that Omaha’s leadership exercise proper judgment, primarily by recognizing that tastes and preferences change over time. Look no further than the destruction of Jobbers Canyon as evidence of this. But unfortunately, the city’s leadership did not grab hold of this opportunity. And Omaha as a community is the loser.

In twenty-five years’ time, after the Holland has built what will then be an outdated, steel and concrete “mixed use development,” we can look back and lament this decision as short sighted and tragic. It will be a stain on the legacy of this mayor’s administration. Lament, we will. What more can we do? Hope that OPA treats their “gift” with care? HA!
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I also saw in the article today in the OWH that this $10 million leverages the city nearly up to the max of the development bonds it can issue until it pays the outstanding bonds ($100 Million) down at around $6 million/year. I wonder what ramifications that might have for the crossroad redevelopment's financing plan? We're they going to use these in that?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

How big is 500 parking stalls? This 'mixed-use' idea sounds more like 'a massive garage with a 100-sqft coffee shop no one uses'.

The Bride
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

My favorite point Megan Hunts made was number five...

[*]Doing something forward-thinking for Omaha's corporate culture with respect paid to our architectural history would be great PR for Omaha’s leadership and development record that could garner significant national praise. HDR ought to have engineers who can easily ideate and accomplish this. The long-term effects of positioning Omaha as a city that respects and preserves the aesthetic beauty and uniqueness of its historic architecture would be fantastic.

Alright then OPA, the ball is in your court now....Are going to make a cheap parking garage with frontage space thrown in as an afterthought, or are going to make an enduring piece of contemporary architecture that will do justice to the city in terms of form and use?
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

lmdramos wrote:I also saw in the article today in the OWH that this $10 million leverages the city nearly up to the max of the development bonds it can issue until it pays the outstanding bonds ($100 Million) down at around $6 million/year. I wonder what ramifications that might have for the crossroad redevelopment's financing plan? We're they going to use these in that?

I was wondering that as well but don't honestly think this would effect the Crossroads development that much. Ten million would be a drop in the bucket for what is being proposed there. Guess we will know more after Saturday's Grow Omaha show, that is if some kind of announcement is still being planned on that platform. It would definitely make it a big week for Omaha development news but that is for another thread.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

WE CAN'T LET THIS HAPPEN!!!
image.jpeg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

omahahawk wrote:
lmdramos wrote:I also saw in the article today in the OWH that this $10 million leverages the city nearly up to the max of the development bonds it can issue until it pays the outstanding bonds ($100 Million) down at around $6 million/year. I wonder what ramifications that might have for the crossroad redevelopment's financing plan? We're they going to use these in that?

I was wondering that as well but don't honestly think this would effect the Crossroads development that much. Ten million would be a drop in the bucket for what is being proposed there. Guess we will know more after Saturday's Grow Omaha show, that is if some kind of announcement is still being planned on that platform. It would definitely make it a big week for Omaha development news but that is for another thread.
The Mayor said different incentives were being used at Crossroads like TIF an occupation tax and the City Council just voted to support a new source that will go before the unicam this next year that will turn back 50% of new sales tax revenue to local projects.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Many of the folks that go to the Holland are old timers. As we all know half the old timers out there have handicapped parking stickers. If you are going to stick that Holland Center in a god forsaken place like downtown you really should provide parking so the poor people do not have to walk blocks and blocks and risk getting mugged and thugged and their cars ripped off. The Holland Center should of been put in a nicer end of town but that would make to much sense and then you could of had your old run down buildings downtown. I support the Mayor 100% and have a great deal of confidence that she made the best deal we could for everybody. Keep up the great work Mayor Stothert and dont listen to the "Debbie the Downers."
Ramlco
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ramlco »

ShaneofCal wrote:I felt compelled to comment on the mayor's FB page. Here's what I wrote. A bit long, I know. But I am sad and angry.
___

The irony coming out of by my hometown of Omaha is unbelievable—and unbearable. ConAgra decides to relocate its headquarters to a historical building in Chicago, having demolished entire blocks of historical buildings some twenty-five years ago. And now, an “arts” organization wants to demolish, rather than to incorporate, some of Omaha’s most unique remaining historical structures, all to make way for a parking garage under the guise of a “mixed use development.” Not only is the elected leadership of Omaha supportive, as they were with ConAgra, but they are actively and willingly participating. Is anyone else foaming at the mouth? I for one am completely dumbfounded.

With wonderful redevelopment projects taking place around the city, such as the KETV’s renovation of the Burlington Station, I honestly (and foolishly) believed Omaha’s citizenry and leadership had finally turned a significant corner. That it had finally become a city that truly valued its historical buildings—seeing both their long-term cultural and financial benefits. But no, nothing to be had here but pure unadulterated disappointment.

Working in Silicon Valley and having attended a school known to produce the type of tech talent Omaha so desperately desires to attract—as a means to propel its economy into the 21st Century—I can promise the Omaha leadership that this decision is counter productive to its aims. It demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of what largely matters to this educated, middle to high earning group who by and large have no connection to Omaha. Decisions like this will ensure that Omaha’s share of “Silicon Prairie” is never fully realized.

This was nothing short of an opportunity for Omaha to claim a new image, which for a fleeting moment the mayor seemed prepared to grab hold of. But to do so required that Omaha’s leadership exercise proper judgment, primarily by recognizing that tastes and preferences change over time. Look no further than the destruction of Jobbers Canyon as evidence of this. But unfortunately, the city’s leadership did not grab hold of this opportunity. And Omaha as a community is the loser.

In twenty-five years’ time, after the Holland has built what will then be an outdated, steel and concrete “mixed use development,” we can look back and lament this decision as short sighted and tragic. It will be a stain on the legacy of this mayor’s administration. Lament, we will. What more can we do? Hope that OPA treats their “gift” with care? HA!

Though I am a supporter of preserving historic buildings, I can say as a "tech" person myself that what attracts people to Omaha and to downtown is jobs rather than buildings.

I don't think it's necessarily right to build a parking garage over historic buildings, but I do think that the city is acting in the best interests of the area by enabling a major company to build a large headquarters building in an area they are trying to revitalize.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Article in the OWH today has the mayor emphasizing that the Specht Building can be saved.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yes but how?
15-17, 26, 32
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote: This is not about Parking or about needing the space for expansion. This is still about Gottschalk fighting the 2001 battle to destroy these historic buildings.
*folds tinfoil hat*
Let's see this was all about new parking 10 days ago, and after that plan meet with resistance the Holland is now ready to build a massive new performance space and mixed use rectangle doubling their facility's size. That is totally credible. Let's see their detailed plans for the new expansion, lets see the money they have set aside to fund this. Let's see any information that this multiuse/performance space plan predates the Mayor's resistance to tear down the buildings for parking.
I think the mayor can smell their bull sh@*.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I wonder if they changed from a parking lot to this expansion to soften the blowback.
15-17, 26, 32
SaveTheOCHClocktower
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SaveTheOCHClocktower »

This morning's World-Herald breaks down Mayor Stothert's $10 million offer ($10,000,000.00 - look at all those zeros). The most shocking part of the offer is the price being paid for Todd Simon's two properties compared to the Douglas County assessed values: (1) Happy Hollow Building (assessed value: $266,600.00; Stothert offer: $2,6000,000); (2) Christian Specht Building (assessed value: $365,200.00; Stothert offer: $3,400,000.00). Todd Simon is effectively getting 10 times the assessed value for his properties.

In the 11/5/15 press release Simon was quoted as saying: " We are thrilled that everyone acknowledges the historic significance of the Specht building." Are you kidding me? If Simon cared so much about the Specht building he could have demanded that the deal require that OPA not tear down the Specht. Both he and Stothert made no such stipulation.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:I wonder if they changed from a parking lot to this expansion to soften the blowback.
Parking will still be a large portion of it though. Maybe it was there all along and they didn't want to reveal too much that wasn't set in stone yet.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I'd bet if you could find master plan drawings for the project from when they first built the Holland, and when these buildings were first threatened, the drawings would show a similar proposed future use as justification to tear them down then. This time, I'm thinking they started with parking and adjusted it to their real future plans to appear as if they were making concessions to the public outcry.

I wouldn't be surprised if OPA's only concession at this point is to save the Specht facade and incorporate it into some future building or feature as a design element in some sort of exterior plaza.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Or toss the facade(s) across the street to front the park like that front on the south side of the park.
15-17, 26, 32
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

SaveTheOCHClocktower wrote:This morning's World-Herald breaks down Mayor Stothert's $10 million offer ($10,000,000.00 - look at all those zeros). The most shocking part of the offer is the price being paid for Todd Simon's two properties compared to the Douglas County assessed values: (1) Happy Hollow Building (assessed value: $266,600.00; Stothert offer: $2,6000,000); (2) Christian Specht Building (assessed value: $365,200.00; Stothert offer: $3,400,000.00). Todd Simon is effectively getting 10 times the assessed value for his properties.
Assessed value for tax purposes and fair market value are two completely different things.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MTO wrote:Or toss the facade(s) across the street to front the park like that front on the south side of the park.
I would hate if that is all that is done. It would be like the US National Bank facade on 11th and Farnam.