Holland's Greenspace

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GetUrban
Planning Board

Re: Holland's Greenspace

Post by GetUrban »

I had to step back for minute and look at something more intersting than that little piece of 11th Street grid. ...not really trying to use Paris to bolster my argument one way or the other. Just wish people could/would raise their expectations higher for what Omaha could be. It will always be a work in progress and never remain static.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

This is off topic, but I just found a really cool old building I've never seen before in Omaha. Its the old library next door to the city building. Speaking of which why do people think the city building is ugly? I honestly don't mind it.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

RNcyanide wrote:
MTO wrote:I think if your Paris a f-upped street grid doesn't matter.
It was actually greatly improved under the rule of Napoleon. He had the streets widened and had the little alleyways that sometimes were used as streets blocked off, which allowed for multiple lanes of traffic and made it harder for people to barricade streets for protests and the occasional revolution and such.
Well, Napoleon III more accurately. But correct. ;-)
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Garrett wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
MTO wrote:I think if your Paris a f-upped street grid doesn't matter.
It was actually greatly improved under the rule of Napoleon. He had the streets widened and had the little alleyways that sometimes were used as streets blocked off, which allowed for multiple lanes of traffic and made it harder for people to barricade streets for protests and the occasional revolution and such.
Well, Napoleon III more accurately. But correct. ;-)
LOL thanks.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: New HDR Corporate Headquarters

Post by daveoma »

Coyote wrote:They are negotiating with HDR for parking, but, from what I just heard, the green space is already targeted as parking. I asked about the supposed outdoor 'theatre', but that idea seems to be forgotten, at least I thought that space was going to be some sort of outdoor venue...
So their renderings of a new multipurpose building was a lie to trick us into being sympathetic to their parking expansion. Does anyone else feel had?
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

I always figured the addition was an excuse to tear down the buildings for parking.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

My wife and I went out to the Holland on Saturday with some family to see the Symphony performance of "Star Trek". We parked in the Landmark garage and took the short 5-minute walk across the GLM bridge to get there. We were going out to Blue afterwards, so it was a convenient midpoint. Most of our downtown outings consist of going to several locations anyway, so having a place to park somewhere in the area, and walking to the rest is just more practical anyway. I just don't see the need to park at the front door of every stop and drive between them. As long as you've got enough spaces for handicapped and disabled patrons, I think the rest of us are fine using our underutilized legs to get the last block or two.

BTW, the Star Trek show was AWESOME!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Seth wrote:My wife and I went out to the Holland on Saturday with some family to see the Symphony performance of "Star Trek". We parked in the Landmark garage and took the short 5-minute walk across the GLM bridge to get there. We were going out to Blue afterwards, so it was a convenient midpoint. Most of our downtown outings consist of going to several locations anyway, so having a place to park somewhere in the area, and walking to the rest is just more practical anyway. I just don't see the need to park at the front door of every stop and drive between them. As long as you've got enough spaces for handicapped and disabled patrons, I think the rest of us are fine using our underutilized legs to get the last block or two.

2 questions....
Did they play all of the themes?
And favorite captain? (If Picard is your first choice, second favorite.)
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

2 questions....
It was the (recent, new series) Star Trek movie, not a concert about Star Trek music. They ran the movie on the screen and the orchestra played the background music live as it happened on the screen. They've done this for several movies, always to great effect -- live music is the best!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Seth wrote: BTW, the Star Trek show was AWESOME!
Garrett wrote: 2 questions....
And favorite captain? (If Picard is your first choice, second favorite.)
Yeah, they played the movie on a projector screen and dialog over the house sound system while the orchestra played the score live. It was the first such performance I've attended, but definitely won't be the last. I don't have others to compare, but I felt like a dramatic action movie (especially one set largely in space) was very well suited to the expansive sound of a life orchestra.

As far as captains go, Picard is probably my favorite, followed by Janeway. Chris Pine's rendition of Kirk in the reboot films is pretty good to, but a very different flavor from the past.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

This is another example of how old buildings can be worked into new development, and kind of reminded me of the potential for the Holland expansion if the Specht and adjacent buildings were left intact. Imagine the Specht with new HDR HQ as a backdrop, similar to this pic.

http://www.architecturalrecord.com/arti ... nd-theater
Last edited by GetUrban on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

...but where am I supposed to park in there?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Behind, in an exclusive secret hidden spot.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GetUrban wrote:Behind, in an exclusive secret hidden spot.
Why is it hidden? How am I supposed to know it's there? Can't they just put it in the front of everything so I know where it is??

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Better yet, why can't they just convert the Holland into a drive-in concert hall?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GetUrban wrote:Better yet, why can't they just convert the Holland into a drive-in concert hall?
That's a much better use for the rest of the block!!!

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Looks like the Holland is going to take down the OWH building for Parking instead:

PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Or they could just renovate it into one, it already looks like a garage.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah just take out all the elevators for one big car sized lift it would be carpeted and climate controlled for the Holland elites.
15-17, 26, 32
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

What is that actually for though? That crane is effin HUGE!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Busguy2010 wrote:What is that actually for though? That crane is effin HUGE!
I think it was for a generator for National Indemnity.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I think National Indemnity is building some Data Center Space in the building. Thus generator, possible CRAC units and UPS units might be lifted this way as well.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Do these companies still share server duty or are they trying to move them back in house?
15-17, 26, 32
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Holland Center Proposes a 40 Story Parking Garage
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

How do you install a 13,000 pound generator on top of one of Omaha's tallest buildings?
Thanks to MCL Construction, you can see for yourself:

[youtube][/youtube]
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

You mean taller? :P

The Bride
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Gotta be a cool cat to do that kind of work!
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote:Holland Center Proposes a 40 Story Parking Garage
Would never be more than 12 stories :lol:
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Last Saturday afternoon, I had to run an errand down in OM. On my way back, I got caught in a big traffic backup on 16th St for a matinee performance at the Orpheum, which got me thinking. It's actually more efficient to have smaller, more distributed parking facilities throughout downtown for large events, as it spreads out the traffic surge before and after them across a larger area of street network. In addition to this, of course, it allows coverage for a wider area overall.

Of course, this hinges on people being willing to walk more than a few feet from their car to their destination. It also requires the city to have a comprehensive, well-managed parking system downtown. At least the 2nd issue should be easy to solve.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Group details timeline for Holland Center expansion planning
Joan Squires, president of the nonprofit arts group, said the planning process would occur in 2016. She said the group also hopes to get city government approvals for its development in 2016.
She said construction could begin in mid-2017 and end in 2019 on “mixed-use” space, which would include parking, event space and possible arts-programming space.
A second phase would add space for arts programming. Construction on that phase would begin in 2019 at the earliest.

Squires said no decisions have been made about building specifics, including size or number of structures.

Nor, she said, have any decisions been made on demolishing all or parts of the buildings on property that the City of Omaha is buying for the Holland Performing Arts Center expansion at 11th and Douglas Streets in downtown Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Supposedly Stothert was upset that she was not in the loop for this announcement or plans...
Ramlco
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ramlco »

Seth wrote:Last Saturday afternoon, I had to run an errand down in OM. On my way back, I got caught in a big traffic backup on 16th St for a matinee performance at the Orpheum, which got me thinking. It's actually more efficient to have smaller, more distributed parking facilities throughout downtown for large events, as it spreads out the traffic surge before and after them across a larger area of street network. In addition to this, of course, it allows coverage for a wider area overall.

Of course, this hinges on people being willing to walk more than a few feet from their car to their destination. It also requires the city to have a comprehensive, well-managed parking system downtown. At least the 2nd issue should be easy to solve.
I agree with this. I think this is why parking seems so much better in downtown Lincoln.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Weird how this story is buried in the Go section and doesn't mention the mayor or the $10 million dollars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ThatGuy wrote:Weird how this story is buried in the Go section and doesn't mention the mayor or the $10 million dollars.
KETV had her on last night, questioning their deliberations...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The parking garage here will almost certainly be leased out to tenants in the OWH building during the day. I am sure they are all for it.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Coyote wrote:Supposedly Stothert was upset that she was not in the loop for this announcement or plans...
I don't blame her. It's never a good idea to p off the mayor. Any mayor.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

It seems to me that the OWH is trying to assure the public that OPS will in fact construct something on the land. I wonder why they would do that.
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

Coyote wrote:Supposedly Stothert was upset that she was not in the loop for this announcement or plans...
Per their Facebook, Restoration Exchange, the preservation group that OPA always claims to be working with, was also not informed of the press conference and was actually turned away when they tried to show up for it. I don't know how ticked off the mayor can be, however, when there were no conditions or stipulations attached to the $10 million. I know it hasn't been approved by the city council yet, and I urge anyone to contact their council representative with any concerns, but it appears that OPA is going to unilaterally decide this, despite being helped along by tax payer dollars.

Their expansion should be their expense. Shame on OPA.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Strange, since I thought I heard that OPA, or HDR, was going to look into using one of four Restoration Exchange's suggested architectural firms, but maybe I am mixing up a different story...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Wow, that all sounds shady as |expletive|. I wonder if the mayor can/will do anything about being cut out like that.

The Bride