Urban Grocery Store

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Garrett
Planning Board

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Post by Garrett »

MTO wrote:"80,000 workers and 9,000 residents" Omaha is no where near that, we're gonna have to wait quite a while.
The greater downtown region (Downtown, Midtown crossing area, North Downtown, and the area just south of the tracks) has around 20,000 people according to 2015 data. Even if you just restrict it to the core CBD/Old Market area you hit around 8,000 people, leaving out big chunks of what's commonly considered downtown.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Garrett wrote:
MTO wrote:"80,000 workers and 9,000 residents" Omaha is no where near that, we're gonna have to wait quite a while.
The greater downtown region (Downtown, Midtown crossing area, North Downtown, and the area just south of the tracks) has around 20,000 people according to 2015 data. Even if you just restrict it to the core CBD/Old Market area you hit around 8,000 people, leaving out big chunks of what's commonly considered downtown.
Is that residents of the area or workers?
#gohawks
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

buildomaha wrote:
Garrett wrote:
Is that residents of the area or workers?
Residents
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Also, looking at it now that residents number has to include a lot of people from outside of downtown as well. Their main downtown census tract, which includes all of their downtown area plus most of the East Village through the Capitol, is estimated to only have around 4,800 people in 2015. IF you add in the southern parts of the East Village plus neighborhoods east of the Capitol you come to around 8,000.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nick808402 »

Big fan of Cosentino's in KC since I always stay at the Crowne Plaza whenever I go to KC for a guy's weekend.

I live at the new Highline and would LOVE a grocery store in that big ugly lot with the Wells Fargo drive thru. My lazy |expletive| would still drive there, but it's way better than driving to Bakers.

They should keep the store open 24h so drunk people can stumble in at night to buy food lol
or at least have a separate section for late night munchies open.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Nick808402 wrote:Big fan of Cosentino's in KC since I always stay at the Crowne Plaza whenever I go to KC for a guy's weekend.

I live at the new Highline and would LOVE a grocery store in that big ugly lot with the Wells Fargo drive thru. My lazy |expletive| would still drive there, but it's way better than driving to Bakers.

They should keep the store open 24h so drunk people can stumble in at night to buy food lol
or at least have a separate section for late night munchies open.

Me too. We usually stay at the Marriott downtown. Cosentino's in addition to the groceries and liquor department is good for breakfast and lunch too. So handy. If we are headed to a Royals game we get a lot of our tailgating stuff there on the way to Kauffman.

Greg
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Post by mistergutierrez »

Patricks Market is closing at the end of this year. The space is already being advertised for a lease.
I was told that the rent is increasing too fast, but they still don´t know about their future, if they are going somewhere else in the DT or what is going to happen.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Speaking of this, I heard Hyvee is looking at sites downtown for something similar to their downtown DSM store. No clear location...
hav4
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hav4 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Speaking of this, I heard Hyvee is looking at sites downtown for something similar to their downtown DSM store. No clear location...
That HyVee in Downtown Des Moines is great. We can't get it in Omaha soon enough!
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

hav4 wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Speaking of this, I heard Hyvee is looking at sites downtown for something similar to their downtown DSM store. No clear location...
That HyVee in Downtown Des Moines is great. We can't get it in Omaha soon enough!
I second that, living in Des Moines, I've been to the downtown Hy-Vee several times. Always BUSY, super nice! There are several thousand apartment and condos within a 4 block walking distance of this store and crazy high number within a 6 block distance. What would be the #1 location in Omaha downtown for most number of units within a 4 block distance? It just seems to me there are more units in downtown Des Moines than downtown Omaha. Does anybody have this data?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

hav4 wrote:
Would love to see this, or any full service grocery store development for downtown. I think the resident population is more than substantial enough downtown to support a development like this.. Probably x10 :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

joleo wrote:
hav4 wrote:
I second that, living in Des Moines, I've been to the downtown Hy-Vee several times. Always BUSY, super nice! There are several thousand apartment and condos within a 4 block walking distance of this store and crazy high number within a 6 block distance. What would be the #1 location in Omaha downtown for most number of units within a 4 block distance? It just seems to me there are more units in downtown Des Moines than downtown Omaha. Does anybody have this data?
All of the hard numbers are from the 2010 census, but when I get free time I'll see if there are estimates from more recent years. :thumb:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That is too bad about Patrick's. It is on the expensive side, but having worked DT for a while now it is nice to have something close for quick grabs that don't have to drive 10 mins to get to. I guess I am a little surprised the rent is rising that quick, retail space has never been in very high demand west of the Old Market. Hopefully the owners have a plan to activate the space quickly.

As for Hy-Vee, that would be amazing. The DT DAM Hy-Vee is a very well executed store. Something like that would be a HUGE asset to the DT community.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

mistergutierrez wrote:Patricks Market is closing at the end of this year. The space is already being advertised for a lease.
I was told that the rent is increasing too fast, but they still don´t know about their future, if they are going somewhere else in the DT or what is going to happen.
That stinks. When I lived downtown, I loved walking there to pick stuff up. Odd how they just announced free delivery to the Capitol Place apartments, but are on their way out... You would have thought they would have stuck around long enough to see if the extra residents would have kept them in the black.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

A while back. two managers at Hy-vee told me they were waiting to see how the Des Moines store would do once open before deciding to do a downtown Omaha store. With the Des Moines store open and hopefully, successful, they very well may be looking for a downtown Omaha location.

With the Chamber of Commerce half block (including that park) on the market for development, an apartment building with first floor Hy-Vee would be great there. Both could use the city parking garage, which occupies the remaining half block.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That would be a heck of a lot better location than the Tetras site!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:That would be a heck of a lot better location than the Tetras site!
Especially since the Tetras site is under water.
15-17, 26, 32
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

OmahaChef wrote:A With the Des Moines store open and hopefully, successful, they very well may be looking for a downtown Omaha location.
The urban Hy-Vee in DM is freaking awesome!! It's a bit nestled in and needs better signage but it's a great spot. Anything to get a growler station i guess! :D
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Once again, eomaha beats the World Herald with news, this time by over a month!

Patrick's Market grocery store in downtown Omaha is closing
Owner Patrick Andersen said the store at 1416 Howard St. will close by the end of the month. A liquidation sale is underway.

Andersen said industry changes, especially online grocery delivery, have hurt the small bricks-and-mortar grocer.

“We’ve been doing it for 10 years now, and business just isn’t there for it to be comfortable,” he said. The store opened in 2007.

The space is now for lease and has seen “incredible interest” from office and retail tenants, restaurants and even other grocery stores, said Barry Zoob, senior vice president of Colliers International in Omaha.
OverlookedFarm
Home Owners Association

Post by OverlookedFarm »

Ive about had it with these realtors hyping up the real estate market downtown. Anytime the news outlet puts a microphone in thier face, we get told how "superawesome and hot" the downtown market is. I get it, its thier job to not be negative

The fact is, the slow pace of change, and were going on decades now, suggest otherwise. North Downtown, cbd, soma, old market. There are bays all around patricks that have been open for years. I just noticed that american national bank pulled up too. Seemed like yesterday i was watching tbe wrecking ball take out the bergmans.

These property owners squatting on these prime parcels coupled with stunted midrise living spaces fails to produce the street level foot traffic needed to make a lot of these places survive. Everyone shares blame.

It was fun when cpp and brandies had a littany of stores for quick purchases over lunch.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Patrick’s Market bldg apparently has been leased & some work has begun on the inside.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Hy Vee and Trader Joe’s downtown would be fantastic...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
TheSeventhBrat
Home Owners Association

Post by TheSeventhBrat »

Coyote wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 am Downtown growth could attract grocery store to areab

Bakers
Hy-Vee
Trader Joe's
I can see Hy-Vee and Trader Joe's, but not Baker's. They're bleeding talent, especially assistant store and department managers, can barely staff the current stores as it is and has legitimate concerns of staffing any new stores. Kroger has owned several properties around town but hasn't built a new store due to these staffing concerns. Before I left the company, they decided they would focus capital investments on current stores via remodels. Baker's Galvin is getting a remodel this spring, finally. In the five years I was there, I heard "we're getting a remodel next year" every year. It's finally happening.
hav4
New to the Neighborhood

Post by hav4 »

Somewhere near 13th and Farnam would make the most sense, on the Kiewit Building site or Old Chamber site (one of these two lots).
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Perfect option for me would be Cosentino's. The one in DT KC next to Power and Light does it all. Full service grocery, plus you can eat there, along with grab and go.

Greg
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Re: New Kiewit HQ

Post by Omahacritic »

Walked by today. They are tearing down structure on northwest corner of the block.

Kiewit wants retail in the area. A big grocer would be perfect for this area. Streets are wide. Access is easy. Grocery stores need infrastructure. These blocks fit the bill.
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

There is a captive audience of ~3000 Creighton students who live on-campus or the very immediate vicinity who are in a rather large food desert. Surely that can give you a start on a grocery store.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omahacritic wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 pm Walked by today. They are tearing down structure on northwest corner of the block.

Kiewit wants retail in the area. A big grocer would be perfect for this area. Streets are wide. Access is easy. Grocery stores need infrastructure. These blocks fit the bill.
I was in this area just yesterday afternoon and I’d agree. It’s a good spot for a potential full service grocery store. Certainly there is the sustainable day/evening population to support it...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:51 am
Omahacritic wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 pm Walked by today. They are tearing down structure on northwest corner of the block.

I was in this area just yesterday afternoon and I’d agree. It’s a good spot for a potential full service grocery store. Certainly there is the sustainable day/evening population to support it...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Just put 10 floors of apartments on top of the grocery store, and build your own customers.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The demand seems to be there. I wonder if nobody has built in the area due to political reasons.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Joe_Sovereign wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:19 am

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Just put 10 floors of apartments on top of the grocery store, and build your own customers.
I love this idea 😊😊😊😊

Can we do this with all shopping centers?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

daveoma wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I love this idea 😊😊😊😊

Lol..

Comedy aside, I believe now, there is enough sustainable population day and evening in the downtown area to support a full service grocery store. It’s just a matter of who’s interested in seriously coming to the plate to make it happen..

Ahem, HyVee...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Doctor Fate
Human Relations

Post by Doctor Fate »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:01 pm
daveoma wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I love this idea 😊😊😊😊

Lol..

Comedy aside, I believe now, there is enough sustainable population day and evening in the downtown area to support a full service grocery store. It’s just a matter of who’s interested in seriously coming to the plate to make it happen..

Ahem, HyVee...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I have heard Hy-Vee and Trader Joe's have expressed interest in opening a store downtown. Obviously Hy-Vee was close to going to the Civic site until Tetrad back out. I would prefer Trader Joe's to Hy-Vee though.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Why not both? The market (population) is already there. This is long overdue. Trader Joe's alone would draw people from a several mile radius. I have siblings that live in Midtown, 188th St., Papillion and Bellevue who shop at TJ's now. Grocery stores would also be another incentive for people and businesses to live/work there.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

I was getting groceries at Trader Joe’s and asked the cashier when they would build another location and he said they do a good amount of sales but not enough to open another location yet. He talked like he knew this for sure but he was also just a cashier so I don’t know how true that is...
ScrattyB
Library Board

Post by ScrattyB »

Doctor Fate wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:43 pm I have heard Hy-Vee and Trader Joe's have expressed interest in opening a store downtown. Obviously Hy-Vee was close to going to the Civic site until Tetrad back out. I would prefer Trader Joe's to Hy-Vee though.
I've only been to the Trader Joe's in Omaha but it has a pretty limited selection of groceries and no dining option in the store. Maybe they have a different concept they could bring to downtown, I don't know.

But have you been to the urban HyVee concept in downtown Des Moines? It's great! (except trying to leave the parking garage can sometimes be a hassle).

Sorry, this is getting way off topic.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I consider TJ's a 'specialty' store. Granted, it has a more limited selection than Hy Vee, but its price point is lower. On the other hand, if it were the only game in town, I could live with it. It has almost everything anyone would need, but instead of 20 different brands of dog food, it'll have 2 or 3 decent ones. Maybe I'm mis-judging the Omaha market, but all of the 3 TJ's I've lived near were always packed, and 2 of the 3 were in working class neighborhoods with lots of immigrants and military. Omaha's location would give you the impression that it's a high end luxury market, but that's far from the truth. They just carry good quality stuff at affordable prices.

Downtown Omaha is ripe for something besides Cubby's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't believe that the closest store of any size, besides Wohlners, is on Saddle Creek Road. That's a lotta people who have to drive a good distance to buy groceries. North Downtown has the land, especially north of Cumings for a good size store, with parking.
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

Have never considered Trader Joe’s to be good prices. Neat things to buy there, but they are a niche store.

Grocery stores like a population base of 5000 people.
Zip code 68102 has 6,000 residents. (Probably more).
68108 has 14000 residents though only some of those are below Vinson St. North and west will add thousands more residents.

Living downtown, we mostly go to Council Bluffs HyVee. Easier to navigate traffic.
So, food dollars go to Iowa. Dollars for non-food groceries goes to Iowa. Gasoline dollars ... Iowa.
Sales tax revenue on non-food sales goes to Iowa.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

How about a Fresh Thyme? Still very healthy/trend food oriented but they are much cheaper than Whole Foods. Plus they are Midwest based (Michigan I believe) and their business and values reflect that. They also are the perfect size. I think it would be the perfect combination for downtown.
#gohawks