Urban Grocery Store

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1818
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby Garrett » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:35 pm

MTO wrote:"80,000 workers and 9,000 residents" Omaha is no where near that, we're gonna have to wait quite a while.

The greater downtown region (Downtown, Midtown crossing area, North Downtown, and the area just south of the tracks) has around 20,000 people according to 2015 data. Even if you just restrict it to the core CBD/Old Market area you hit around 8,000 people, leaving out big chunks of what's commonly considered downtown.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

buildomaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby buildomaha » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Garrett wrote:
MTO wrote:"80,000 workers and 9,000 residents" Omaha is no where near that, we're gonna have to wait quite a while.

The greater downtown region (Downtown, Midtown crossing area, North Downtown, and the area just south of the tracks) has around 20,000 people according to 2015 data. Even if you just restrict it to the core CBD/Old Market area you hit around 8,000 people, leaving out big chunks of what's commonly considered downtown.


Is that residents of the area or workers?

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1818
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby Garrett » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:54 pm

buildomaha wrote:
Garrett wrote:
MTO wrote:"80,000 workers and 9,000 residents" Omaha is no where near that, we're gonna have to wait quite a while.

The greater downtown region (Downtown, Midtown crossing area, North Downtown, and the area just south of the tracks) has around 20,000 people according to 2015 data. Even if you just restrict it to the core CBD/Old Market area you hit around 8,000 people, leaving out big chunks of what's commonly considered downtown.


Is that residents of the area or workers?


Residents
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

User avatar
Garrett
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1818
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby Garrett » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:22 pm

MTO wrote:"80,000 workers and 9,000 residents" Omaha is no where near that, we're gonna have to wait quite a while.

Also, looking at it now that residents number has to include a lot of people from outside of downtown as well. Their main downtown census tract, which includes all of their downtown area plus most of the East Village through the Capitol, is estimated to only have around 4,800 people in 2015. IF you add in the southern parts of the East Village plus neighborhoods east of the Capitol you come to around 8,000.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:21 am

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby Nick808402 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Big fan of Cosentino's in KC since I always stay at the Crowne Plaza whenever I go to KC for a guy's weekend.

I live at the new Highline and would LOVE a grocery store in that big ugly lot with the Wells Fargo drive thru. My lazy |expletive| would still drive there, but it's way better than driving to Bakers.

They should keep the store open 24h so drunk people can stumble in at night to buy food lol
or at least have a separate section for late night munchies open.

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3655
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby Greg S » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:46 am

Nick808402 wrote:Big fan of Cosentino's in KC since I always stay at the Crowne Plaza whenever I go to KC for a guy's weekend.

I live at the new Highline and would LOVE a grocery store in that big ugly lot with the Wells Fargo drive thru. My lazy |expletive| would still drive there, but it's way better than driving to Bakers.

They should keep the store open 24h so drunk people can stumble in at night to buy food lol
or at least have a separate section for late night munchies open.



Me too. We usually stay at the Marriott downtown. Cosentino's in addition to the groceries and liquor department is good for breakfast and lunch too. So handy. If we are headed to a Royals game we get a lot of our tailgating stuff there on the way to Kauffman.

Greg

mistergutierrez
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby mistergutierrez » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Patricks Market is closing at the end of this year. The space is already being advertised for a lease.
I was told that the rent is increasing too fast, but they still don´t know about their future, if they are going somewhere else in the DT or what is going to happen.

User avatar
OmahaJaysCU
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1992
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby OmahaJaysCU » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Speaking of this, I heard Hyvee is looking at sites downtown for something similar to their downtown DSM store. No clear location...

hav4
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:18 am

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby hav4 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:19 am

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Speaking of this, I heard Hyvee is looking at sites downtown for something similar to their downtown DSM store. No clear location...


That HyVee in Downtown Des Moines is great. We can't get it in Omaha soon enough!

joleo
Home Owners Association
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:22 pm
Location: Des Moines

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby joleo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:38 am

hav4 wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Speaking of this, I heard Hyvee is looking at sites downtown for something similar to their downtown DSM store. No clear location...


That HyVee in Downtown Des Moines is great. We can't get it in Omaha soon enough!


I second that, living in Des Moines, I've been to the downtown Hy-Vee several times. Always BUSY, super nice! There are several thousand apartment and condos within a 4 block walking distance of this store and crazy high number within a 6 block distance. What would be the #1 location in Omaha downtown for most number of units within a 4 block distance? It just seems to me there are more units in downtown Des Moines than downtown Omaha. Does anybody have this data?

User avatar
Omaha Cowboy
The Don
Posts: 6285
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 5:31 am
Location: West Omaha

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:33 pm

hav4 wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Speaking of this, I heard Hyvee is looking at sites downtown for something similar to their downtown DSM store. No clear location...


That HyVee in Downtown Des Moines is great. We can't get it in Omaha soon enough!


Would love to see this, or any full service grocery store development for downtown. I think the resident population is more than substantial enough downtown to support a development like this.. Probably x10 :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby daveoma » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:44 am

joleo wrote:
hav4 wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Speaking of this, I heard Hyvee is looking at sites downtown for something similar to their downtown DSM store. No clear location...


That HyVee in Downtown Des Moines is great. We can't get it in Omaha soon enough!


I second that, living in Des Moines, I've been to the downtown Hy-Vee several times. Always BUSY, super nice! There are several thousand apartment and condos within a 4 block walking distance of this store and crazy high number within a 6 block distance. What would be the #1 location in Omaha downtown for most number of units within a 4 block distance? It just seems to me there are more units in downtown Des Moines than downtown Omaha. Does anybody have this data?


All of the hard numbers are from the 2010 census, but when I get free time I'll see if there are estimates from more recent years. :thumb:

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8939
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:48 am

That is too bad about Patrick's. It is on the expensive side, but having worked DT for a while now it is nice to have something close for quick grabs that don't have to drive 10 mins to get to. I guess I am a little surprised the rent is rising that quick, retail space has never been in very high demand west of the Old Market. Hopefully the owners have a plan to activate the space quickly.

As for Hy-Vee, that would be amazing. The DT DAM Hy-Vee is a very well executed store. Something like that would be a HUGE asset to the DT community.

Ben
Human Relations
Posts: 809
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Westside

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby Ben » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:51 am

mistergutierrez wrote:Patricks Market is closing at the end of this year. The space is already being advertised for a lease.
I was told that the rent is increasing too fast, but they still don´t know about their future, if they are going somewhere else in the DT or what is going to happen.


That stinks. When I lived downtown, I loved walking there to pick stuff up. Odd how they just announced free delivery to the Capitol Place apartments, but are on their way out... You would have thought they would have stuck around long enough to see if the extra residents would have kept them in the black.

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby OmahaChef » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:48 pm

A while back. two managers at Hy-vee told me they were waiting to see how the Des Moines store would do once open before deciding to do a downtown Omaha store. With the Des Moines store open and hopefully, successful, they very well may be looking for a downtown Omaha location.

With the Chamber of Commerce half block (including that park) on the market for development, an apartment building with first floor Hy-Vee would be great there. Both could use the city parking garage, which occupies the remaining half block.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20818
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby Coyote » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:31 am

That would be a heck of a lot better location than the Tetras site!
Image

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7890
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby MTO » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Coyote wrote:That would be a heck of a lot better location than the Tetras site!


Especially since the Tetras site is under water.
15-17, 26, 32

almighty_tuna
County Board
Posts: 4462
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere between downtown and Colorado
Contact:

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby almighty_tuna » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:45 pm

OmahaChef wrote:A With the Des Moines store open and hopefully, successful, they very well may be looking for a downtown Omaha location.


The urban Hy-Vee in DM is freaking awesome!! It's a bit nestled in and needs better signage but it's a great spot. Anything to get a growler station i guess! :D

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5253
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Once again, eomaha beats the World Herald with news, this time by over a month!

Patrick's Market grocery store in downtown Omaha is closing

Owner Patrick Andersen said the store at 1416 Howard St. will close by the end of the month. A liquidation sale is underway.

Andersen said industry changes, especially online grocery delivery, have hurt the small bricks-and-mortar grocer.

“We’ve been doing it for 10 years now, and business just isn’t there for it to be comfortable,” he said. The store opened in 2007.

The space is now for lease and has seen “incredible interest” from office and retail tenants, restaurants and even other grocery stores, said Barry Zoob, senior vice president of Colliers International in Omaha.

OverlookedFarm
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Urban Grocery Store

Postby OverlookedFarm » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Ive about had it with these realtors hyping up the real estate market downtown. Anytime the news outlet puts a microphone in thier face, we get told how "superawesome and hot" the downtown market is. I get it, its thier job to not be negative

The fact is, the slow pace of change, and were going on decades now, suggest otherwise. North Downtown, cbd, soma, old market. There are bays all around patricks that have been open for years. I just noticed that american national bank pulled up too. Seemed like yesterday i was watching tbe wrecking ball take out the bergmans.

These property owners squatting on these prime parcels coupled with stunted midrise living spaces fails to produce the street level foot traffic needed to make a lot of these places survive. Everyone shares blame.

It was fun when cpp and brandies had a littany of stores for quick purchases over lunch.


Return to “Urban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest