Dewey 3700 (Arthur Metz mansion)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Dewey 3700 (Arthur Metz mansion)

Post by Brad »

One of the old mansions is on fire just south of the Blackstone building.
KETV on Twitter wrote:Image
Coyote
City Council

Re: Blackstone Business Improvement District

Post by Coyote »

The Arthur Metz mansion
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:One of the old mansions is on fire just south of the Blackstone building.
The building is set to be demolished, but Restoration Exchange just said Metz family members are ticking the tires about purchasing the building.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Too late, time for another new apartment building.
15-17, 26, 32
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

iamjacobm wrote:
Brad wrote:One of the old mansions is on fire just south of the Blackstone building.
The building is set to be demolished, but Restoration Exchange just said Metz family members are ticking the tires about purchasing the building.
Restoration Exchange added to this same post that Mansion Flats LLC paid about $170k for the mansion in May. Their initial quote to the Metz family is already $100k more than that. Seems awfully strange to mark up a property that much for a party interested in saving it when their agent was quoted in the World Herald saying "first preference would not be to tear down the mansion, given its history. “But it’s condemned, and is in dire, dire condition.”'.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

With the name Mansion Flats LLC, it sounds like it was their intention to flatten it all along. :)

I hope it can be saved though. No doubt it would cost a lot, but it still could be done.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Historic Omaha Mansion Set To Be Demolished, One Man Races To Save It
Brandon Scott - WOWT wrote: John Metz hopes to save the mansion. He is distantly related to the wealthy family that built it in 1904. His hope is to buy it before it's destroyed and then start a four month restoration project. Metz told WOWT 6 News: "The ultimate goal would be a single-family dwelling, but it's a lot of square footage for a single family. The next best option would be to convert it so we would have professional offices and professional services."
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Historic Omaha Mansion Set To Be Demolished, One Man Races To Save It
Brandon Scott - WOWT wrote: John Metz hopes to save the mansion. He is distantly related to the wealthy family that built it in 1904. His hope is to buy it before it's destroyed and then start a four month restoration project. Metz told WOWT 6 News: "The ultimate goal would be a single-family dwelling, but it's a lot of square footage for a single family. The next best option would be to convert it so we would have professional offices and professional services."
Sounds like John did a lot of work, but couldn't make it happen. The building will be gone soon, lets hope a quality project replaces it.
taken
New to the Neighborhood

Post by taken »

Those are great Jobbers Canyon pics!

I found this thread looking for the Metz Mansion though, they got their demo permit and it looks like they're overcoming resistance from the city council.

Here's what they're knocking down...

taken
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Arthur Metz mansion Fire

Post by taken »

iamjacobm wrote:
taken wrote:I wasn't expressing an opinion really. I prefer half-acre+ lots :-) A mansion like that needs more like an acre and that ain't happening.

I think it sold for $170. The issue was that a later bidder wanted to pay more to save it and the guy who paid $170 wanted over $300 to not tear it down.
bigredmed wrote:Again, if they were offered an amount of money that made it worth selling rather than demo'ing, they would have. They got offered 200k, and that was less than it's insured value.

People do what they think works best for them. The owners figured that selling was not as good of a deal. If you have the spare cash, make a better offer.
A lot more than a couple thousand to be made in a new multifamily project than what was offered. It is too bad there wasn't a push to rehab the property so the fire never happened in the first place.
I don't disagree.

Here's an update:

mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

I saw you flying that drone... Sweet little machine setup you have.
taken
New to the Neighborhood

Post by taken »

mr. omaha wrote:I saw you flying that drone... Sweet little machine setup you have.
Thanks!

The thing I love about the last picture of Metz's place is how they've torn down the house but the stone is still standing.
That's a real stone building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Has the owner requested any construction permits for the site? I imagine this would be pretty valuable land for apartments, and since they've completed demo, I would have to assume that means the insurance claim has been wrapped up.
taken
New to the Neighborhood

Post by taken »

Seth wrote:Has the owner requested any construction permits for the site? I imagine this would be pretty valuable land for apartments, and since they've completed demo, I would have to assume that means the insurance claim has been wrapped up.
No plans seem to be filed yet, you can bookmark this link to look for them in the future:
https://www.omahapermits.com/PermitInfo ... 2519850000
The sewer disconnect and demolition permit is the only ones filed by the new owners.
That isn't the first place we'll hear about their plans though probably.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think it will be a little interesting to see when the TIF comes down if anyone on the CC mentions what happened through the process with turning down a buyer and everything. It seems to suggest that they think they can make more through a new build which might bring into question the need for assistance. I doubt that happens though.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

"The cause of the blaze was a space heater in the attic. " So did anyone ever ask why there was a space heater in the attic? Was the attic used as part of an apartment or were there pipes they were trying to heat?

So many fires in this town but we never learn what happened to the poor sod who started the fire, just the fate of the building.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

U R my Helix wrote:"The cause of the blaze was a space heater in the attic. " So did anyone ever ask why there was a space heater in the attic? Was the attic used as part of an apartment or were there pipes they were trying to heat?

So many fires in this town but we never learn what happened to the poor sod who started the fire, just the fate of the building.
It was to keep pipes from freezing.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

It shouldn't have had pipes in the attic, since freezing would be an on-going problem. The pipes must have served space that was finished later and not insulated properly in the walls surrounding the space.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

"Mansion Flats LLC" has submitted a site plan for this property.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GetUrban wrote:It shouldn't have had pipes in the attic, since freezing would be an on-going problem. The pipes must have served space that was finished later and not insulated properly in the walls surrounding the space.
If it had a home sprinkler system for fire protection (I know that would be ironic) there could be pipes in the attic and with the age the original insulation could have been in need of upkeep
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Re: Mansion Flats (Arthur Metz mansion)

Post by Coyote »

Milestone Development (Larry Jensen) wants to build 21 unit apartments that neighbors seem to approve. Passed by planning board today.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (65.01 KiB) Viewed 5640 times
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I think this will look very nice!
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Should be a nice addition, glad it is moving quickly.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$580K in TIF requested - for "the new construction of a single, 3-story structure consisting of 24 market-rate apartment units with garage parking stalls"
ShaneofCal
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ShaneofCal »

I hope the remaining portico, as as photographed by Coyote, is incorporated into the new structure.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ShaneofCal wrote:I hope the remaining portico, as as photographed by Coyote, is incorporated into the new structure.
I could go out of my way to check for sure, but I doubt that is still standing.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Welp, this slipped past everybody. But Mansion Flats is on the rise.

I'd give a million dollars for them to incorporate just 1000 sqft of retail facing the street.

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

nebraska wrote:I'd give a million dollars for them to incorporate just 1000 sqft of retail facing the street.
I can't tell if you're joking or serious, but if they are already building it means all the details have been planned, designed, approved and worked out. You could try contacting the developer though to see if they would accept your offer to add in some commercial space. You might need to find them a tenant or something else to make sure they could fill that bay.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

And a clearer image, from here
Metz Mansion Flats.jpg
Metz Mansion Flats.jpg (110.14 KiB) Viewed 4598 times
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Descent sized building they're fitting in there and it's a shame theres no ordinance requiring retial for new construction when its this close to a business district.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool looking building!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I noticed that the wood framing has started going up. This should pop up really quickly.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I like the look of this building. Nice to have something different than the black panel exterior we see on everything else.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote:I like the look of this building. Nice to have something different than the black panel exterior we see on everything else.
Completely agree. This has a little more character to it. Maybe due to its past.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I like the look of this building. Nice to have something different than the black panel exterior we see on everything else.
Completely agree. This has a little more character to it. Maybe due to its past.
Drove by earlier today, and I agree with you guys. It really looks great in person! I was going to stop back this afternoon when the light was better and get a few photos, but I ran out of time.
Brad
City Council

Re: Dewey 3700 (Arthur Metz mansion)

Post by Brad »

Apparently this is now called "Dewey 3700"

http://www.amilestoneproperty.com/3700-dewey/
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Gorgeous building, but DAMN those prices are expensive!
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Looks like a terrible hodgepodge of materials slapped together with no real design to me. Other than maybe an attempt at faux traditional by throwing every material used in older construction in to it