13th and William Revitalization

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Taco
Human Relations

13th and William Revitalization

Post by Taco »

I've always thought that this area would be the next logical progression for development following the building out of 10th street. I don't expect any action for at least a year, however this announcement comes sooner than I had expected:
http://www.omaha.com/money/next-up-for- ... 2ef33.html

I don't know much about the developers coming in, but am glad that they are taking the historical character of the neighborhood into account. As long as Donut Stop stays I'm happy!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Re: 13th and William Revitalization

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I'm a little worried we're creating a bubble with all these neighborhood revitalization efforts occurring at roughly the same time. Is the momentum sustainable or should we slow down a bit?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

I'd be a little worried if this was only happening in Omaha, but it is certainly a pretty clear development trend to also re-vitalize neighborhoods close to the core (and the downtowns also) instead of solely building out suburbs in just about every major city in the country, so I think it's more just a reversion back to the norm than it is a bubble.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I think it is mainly pent-up demand from the last recession, in addition to the younger generation's desire for more "urban" living.
It should slow-down more gradually rather than burst all of a sudden, unless some unforeseen economic crisis comes up. If you start seeing new revitalization developments sitting empty for a long time, then you should worry.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And you have to think all of this urban renewal will pay massive dividends for decades. I'm glad we're getting it done now just in case the economy runs into problems later.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I would argue that our redevelopment efforts aren't all that rapid. I mean NDT and Benson are pushing a decade and are finally seeing new substantial infill projects. This area south of DT is still seeing less than 50 units coming right now. Dundee is seeing its first new constructing since what, the gas station? Blackstone is the one area that I think has really been breathtaking with its pace. With its location between Nebraska Med and MTC I am sure there is a ton of demand there.

I mean other cities our size have 300+ unit urban apartment buildings going up right now.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

iamjacobm wrote:I would argue that our redevelopment efforts aren't all that rapid. I mean NDT and Benson are pushing a decade and are finally seeing new substantial infill projects. This area south of DT is still seeing less than 50 units coming right now. Dundee is seeing its first new constructing since what, the gas station? Blackstone is the one area that I think has really been breathtaking with its pace. With its location between Nebraska Med and MTC I am sure there is a ton of demand there.

I mean other cities our size have 300+ unit urban apartment buildings going up right now.
Well now that you put it that way
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I would argue that our redevelopment efforts aren't all that rapid. I mean NDT and Benson are pushing a decade and are finally seeing new substantial infill projects. This area south of DT is still seeing less than 50 units coming right now. Dundee is seeing its first new constructing since what, the gas station? Blackstone is the one area that I think has really been breathtaking with its pace. With its location between Nebraska Med and MTC I am sure there is a ton of demand there.

Well now that you put it that way
If you consider the vast area that is being redone from Benson to A/V to DT is a massive area to redevelop and the collective has been impressive. Add in Crossroads and it is crazy. We just have a lot of decentralized development which I think is good. I suppose all these neighborhood enclaves being improved in theory would be a lot more impressive to the outside eye if they were all focused on DT proper. I think it is way better for the city as a whole to have all these strong enclaves though. It has allowed me to live east of Dundee and be very convenient to everything and walkable to Blackstone for drinks and my haircuts. It allows 4 of my newly married friends to buy their first homes in the Aksarben area, they didn't even consider looking in West O. It allows for Benson in North O to create a community. I think the area south of DT will create a place for the current young downtown dwellers to move into homeownership while still staying close to the core.

We might not boom, but this steady growth over multiple square miles will make for a fantastic city moving forward.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

I'd point out Omaha is seeing healthy growth right now, and none of the projects are really insane major things. 2010-2020 seems to be on track for 10% growth, add in slow down of the recession (as noted previously) and as also noted the younger generations more urban interests... I'd venture Omaha could step it up a little mid-town to downtown and still be OK. And I say this all as a recent transplant who considered OKC, KC, Austin, and Dallas for this latest move and settled on Omaha because it seemed to have everything in order the best.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF before planning board. Will rehab a couple storefronts.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:TIF before planning board. Will rehab a couple storefronts.

Which storefronts are these? Bohemian Cafe side?
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Coyote wrote:

Across the street!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:

Its easy to spot, just look for the PJ Morgan sign on the old theater that says "Now Showing".
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (74.68 KiB) Viewed 21415 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (54.34 KiB) Viewed 21415 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Going to be a great improvement!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Going to be a great improvement!
I agree. The for sale signs, "now showing" signs, have been up for a while, but I didn't know there was an actual plan. I just assumed these buildings were on the market…
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Here is the flyer with just a little more info.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/9B9512B7 ... 3A2157.pdf
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Going to be a great improvement!
Hopefully it will enliven 13th St, or as the brochure says, "Little Bohemia"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Believers - PJ Morgan
Most Omahans refer to it as 13th Street, the street so many see blur by at 45 mph, to and from downtown Omaha.

To me, it’s so much more than 13th Street or South Downtown, it’s Little Bohemia. An area that contains an abundance of history and its own version of charm.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (106.72 KiB) Viewed 21116 times
Beginning in the late 1800’s, Little Bohemia was the central business district for recent Czech immigrants. Businesses included a hotel, bank, restaurants, bars, butchers, doctors, lawyers and a general store. The area is now home to an eclectic mix of industrial, retail and residential users…who I refer to as “The Believers.”

Twelve years ago, I moved my former business and residence to 13th Street. At the time, I seriously questioned the decision- the area was so different from my West Omaha roots. I moved into the Gallagher Building, the only building on 13th Street listed on the National Register of Historic Places. I immediately knew I was where I was supposed to be – it suited me and I fell in love with it.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.16 KiB) Viewed 21116 times
The building awakened my curiosity in historic architecture. I now paid attention to what was behind the steel siding, boarded-up windows and 70’s facades. The Gallagher Building taught me to appreciate the unexpected, the love of historic buildings and the stories that come with them.

I left the area a little over a year ago, when I ventured into commercial real estate. I knew I’d return someday, and, with our recent acquisition of three buildings along 13th, I find myself totally immersed in the area again. The buildings remind me of how truly special and one-of-a-kind 13th Street is. I’ve fallen back in love. In love with the buildings we’re redeveloping, the business owners that I’ve known for years and the homeowners that have been there for decades.

“The Believers” and I are one in the same, all in love with this beautifully gritty, urban and eclectic neighborhood that has seen better days, but believe its best is still yet to come.

I’d love to hear about your experiences in Little Bohemia, 13th Street, or any area of Omaha that has made you believe. What are some of the unique sights, sounds and, yes, smells, that take you back to the moments your memories were made?
A fascination with historic buildings, underground places, interesting architecture and unique characters has led to our series, The Unexpected. Check out Sales & Leasing Agent Colleen Mason’s take on the many facets of Omaha.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:The Believers - PJ Morgan
Most Omahans refer to it as 13th Street, the street so many see blur by at 45 mph, to and from downtown Omaha.

To me, it’s so much more than 13th Street or South Downtown, it’s Little Bohemia. An area that contains an abundance of history and its own version of charm.
I never drive 13th during rush hour, but I wonder if it has low enough traffic counts to change it to 1 lane each way with a center turn lane and bike lanes. Slow people down and help create the pedestrian friendly area that it has the potential to be.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

It does get fairly busy during the morning and evening rush, especially when there is a slow bus or a truck stopped to unload. Creating a more pedestrian friendly street would be nice though. I still wish that they would redo 13th near the zoo with a tree lined median.
NeonMartiniGlass
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeonMartiniGlass »

Anyone know about how far south they want to keep developing? I have a rental house on 11th St. by Sokol Auditorium and I would just love to sell it to a developer. :D :D :D :D
Man Melts the Sands so He Can See the World Outside
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Traffic guys will never lane diet 13th because its a truck route, access to I 80.
frankt
New to the Neighborhood

Post by frankt »

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, yet. But two retail stores next to Bohemian Cafe are closing. Sounds like something is going on.

Mystery Bookstore
https://www.facebook.com/The-Mystery-Bo ... 953512207/

Wallflow Vintage
https://www.facebook.com/wallflowerartisancollective/
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Archetype Coffee, located in Blackstone, will open a location in this redevelopment.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The northern most building now to get a facelift
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (134.45 KiB) Viewed 19738 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.04 KiB) Viewed 19738 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Apparently this first building will be a restaurant.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF request for this stretch before planning board.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

TIF approved.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A few more renderings that haven't been posted yet.
ImageImage
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Love that they are floating the idea of keeping the Bohemian Cafe awning!
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

They have torn out all of the sidewalk in front of all of these buildings. Don't know if this is just a preliminary step or it means the whole project is underway.
omahagrowth
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omahagrowth »

I caught wind recently that someone is trying to develop more condos on S 10th but the city denied the TIFF application? Anyone know anything about this? Why would they city hinder new projects like this?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

omahagrowth wrote:I caught wind recently that someone is trying to develop more condos on S 10th but the city denied the TIFF application? Anyone know anything about this? Why would they city hinder new projects like this?
I have not seen this, I just went through the past few Planning Commission minutes and found nothing... Can you be more specific?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:
omahagrowth wrote:I caught wind recently that someone is trying to develop more condos on S 10th but the city denied the TIFF application? Anyone know anything about this? Why would they city hinder new projects like this?
I have not seen this, I just went through the past few Planning Commission minutes and found nothing... Can you be more specific?
http://eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ti#p274803

This project stalled out on 10th, but that wasn't a TIF issue.
redhotchili2333
New to the Neighborhood

Post by redhotchili2333 »

Its the South Hill Rows project. I heard they were going to do more row homes in the area but the TIF committee told them no. Not the planning board.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Developers expect TIF on every single project no matter what. It would be nice if our tax money went to actual government services instead of the pockets of developers.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:Developers expect TIF on every single project no matter what. It would be nice if our tax money went to actual government services instead of the pockets of developers.
Yeah let's encourage and continue to subsidize suburban development at the expense of the urban core. Let's let the developers foot the bill to update aging urban public infrastructure but pay for none of it in the suburbs. That will be great for the older parts of the city.
Last edited by OmahaJaysCU on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Archetype Coffee, located in Blackstone, will open a location in this redevelopment.
$80k plans just submitted
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The former Mystery Bookstore is being renovated for (I believe) the Grain and Mortor Group, a strategy, branding, and design company currently in the Mastercraft Building.