13th and William Revitalization

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Re: 13th and William Revitalization

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:The northern most building now to get a facelift
I think this will be Art Studio 1419
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$100k redevelopment of the 1409 and 1411 buildings will start soon.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Drove through this area today - I am impressed by their vision and goal of restoring many small buildings (some dilapidated) into a vibrant neighborhood center ratherplopping down prefab rectangular monoliths (Greenslate).

Also noticed a cool modern building going into the SE corner of 13th and Pacific. I couldn't tell if it was a house or office space, but I noticed the land was rezoned to NBD in 2016. Does anyone know what's going on here?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Taco wrote:Drove through this area today - I am impressed by their vision and goal of restoring many small buildings (some dilapidated) into a vibrant neighborhood center ratherplopping down prefab rectangular monoliths (Greenslate).

Also noticed a cool modern building going into the SE corner of 13th and Pacific. I couldn't tell if it was a house or office space, but I noticed the land was rezoned to NBD in 2016. Does anyone know what's going on here?
Here is the thread for that project:
http://www.eomahaforums.com/viewtopic.p ... it=pacific
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

A MAPA article on this development included this tidbit:

"New businesses will be locating to the area – including Omaha Creative Institute, Grain & Mortar, Boho Rice, Vincent Outfitting Co., Archetype Coffee, a barber shop, a salon and a bar."

For more info or if youre interested in assisting in transportation design here is the article: http://mapacog.org/calendar/news/13th-s ... n-project/
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.omaha.com/omahadines/news/a ... 13eb6.html
Archetype Coffee, a Blackstone District staple, is now open in another burgeoning old Omaha neighborhood: Little Bohemia.

The coffee shop opened this week at 1419 S. 13th St. The new shop's menu is the same as the midtown location, with coffee drinks and pastries.
Also I thought I saw somewhere that Surly Chap Barbers in Blackstone was opening a second location in this area.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Love all this! Making a neighborhood more quaint and charming, and having it feel nicer, is always a good thing. I think a lot of older inner neighborhoods should feel much like the Dundee area does.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Having been to Austin and Denver neighborhoods equidstant from the downtown core, I believe this area will see immense growth and we will see interspersed modern homes inbetween century old ones. Lots of fast growing cities have neighborhoods with homes these size and locations this central experiencing massive rebirth. I would be shocked if this neighborhood didn’t follow suit in time, it’s ripe for it.
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

I own property in the area and just received a notice for the request of a new liquor license for 1411 S 13th Street. No information on what the bar/restaurant might be, but a good sign IMO!
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Lillian Bean wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:25 am I own property in the area and just received a notice for the request of a new liquor license for 1411 S 13th Street. No information on what the bar/restaurant might be, but a good sign IMO!
That’s on the east side of the street across from the old Bohemian. One recently renovated house-looking building and a solid brick retail looking building. The brick building could be an excellent bar location. As could the house, too.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lillian Bean wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:25 am I own property in the area and just received a notice for the request of a new liquor license for 1411 S 13th Street. No information on what the bar/restaurant might be, but a good sign IMO!
Liquor licence for a bar called "Tiny House." Looks like some connections to Krug Park, Grey Plume and M's Pub so it seemingly will be a higher end establishment.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

As seen on the Omaha subreddit today. Taken from inside the ethnic sandwich shop.

https://i.redd.it/1als6yg1qvh11.jpg
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Taco wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:20 pm As seen on the Omaha subreddit today. Taken from inside the ethnic sandwich shop.

https://i.redd.it/1als6yg1qvh11.jpg
Looks killer!
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

A tiny house tavern is gearing up to tip a few in Omaha's reviving Little Bohemia neighborhood

https://www.omaha.com/money/development ... l#comments
Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Called the Tiny House, the bar at 1411 S. 13th St. is being launched by a group including the real estate duo leading the broader effort to revive that section of Little Bohemia.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Doughnut Stop closing. A new late night doughnut venture going to replace it.

https://www.omaha.com/omahadines/news/a ... dd6ae.html
A new doughnut-focused business plans to take over the space occupied by Omaha favorite Donut Stop, which will close on Oct. 31.

Neon Tiger, which will be run by Tom and Lindsey Clements of Vis Major Brewing Company along with Aleece Gustafson and Jenessa NeSmith, will be a late-night doughnut bar.

“We want to try and capture what the Donut Stop has done with late-night business and expand on that,” Lindsey Clements said.

Neon Tiger will expand food options at the location, 1256 S. 13th St., and eventually add morning brunch on weekends.

Marlene Rodgers announced in July that Donut Stop would close this fall. She has run the neighborhood favorite for 30 years.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:39 pm Doughnut Stop closing. A new late night doughnut venture going to replace it.

https://www.omaha.com/omahadines/news/a ... dd6ae.html
A new doughnut-focused business plans to take over the space occupied by Omaha favorite Donut Stop, which will close on Oct. 31.

Neon Tiger, which will be run by Tom and Lindsey Clements of Vis Major Brewing Company along with Aleece Gustafson and Jenessa NeSmith, will be a late-night doughnut bar.

“We want to try and capture what the Donut Stop has done with late-night business and expand on that,” Lindsey Clements said.

Neon Tiger will expand food options at the location, 1256 S. 13th St., and eventually add morning brunch on weekends.

Marlene Rodgers announced in July that Donut Stop would close this fall. She has run the neighborhood favorite for 30 years.

We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bridal shop called "Noa Brides" going in this district.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Second Beercade location opening up here.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Momentum kicking in down there. Awesome to see.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Louie wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:33 pm Momentum kicking in down there. Awesome to see.
Agreed. I always thought this area had a charm to ot due to the wide streets and mix of old commercial buildings. It really is ripe for redevelopment as other ares of town like Blackstone and benson become more expensive. This corridor would be a perfect streetcar route all the way to the zoo.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Louie wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:33 pm Momentum kicking in down there. Awesome to see.
Agreed. I always thought this area had a charm due to the wide streets and good mix of old commercial/light industrial buildings. Additionally, it has some long time area institutions like Sokol. It really is ripe for redevelopment, particularly in multifamily developments, as other ares of town like Blackstone and benson become more expensive. Additionally, this corridor would be a perfect streetcar route all the way to the zoo.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

ita wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:10 pm
Agreed. I always thought this area had a charm to ot due to the wide streets and mix of old commercial buildings. It really is ripe for redevelopment as other ares of town like Blackstone and benson become more expensive. This corridor would be a perfect streetcar route all the way to the zoo.
Yeah I think 13th Street makes more sense for a streetcar compared to 10th Street.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

The tiny house bar is now open
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:24 pm Second Beercade location opening up here.
Liquor license request for this at 1423 S 13th St before city council next week.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:43 pm
iamjacobm wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:24 pm Second Beercade location opening up here.
Liquor license request for this at 1423 S 13th St before city council next week.
They have a banner up on the building too.
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

Apologies if this has already been posted but Fizzy's (Nite Owl people), Infusion Brewing, and Surly Chap Barbers are all in for their final fit-out permits. I believe all going in the old Bohemian Cafe bays.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Such a cute little block!
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lillian Bean wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:45 pm Apologies if this has already been posted but Fizzy's (Nite Owl people), Infusion Brewing, and Surly Chap Barbers are all in for their final fit-out permits. I believe all going in the old Bohemian Cafe bays.
Infusion's liquor license request is in front of city council next week. 1406 S 13th St.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

This street is looking like it will be Vintage row. To go along with all the bars that are opening soon here there is at least 5 vintage clothing shops open or going to open here within the next few months and a few more vintage clothing stores from Kansas city and Des moines have also signed leases. On 10th street "402 Nutrition" who is located on 132nd and L street has opened a second location juice bar and is now open. Also the old Theater has been leased and will be a new Music Venue called "The Berkley".
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

To make this section of 13th Street work they have to slow the traffic down considerably. Change it to 3 lanes
(2 with turn lane) and put in some stop signs and pedestrian crossings.

It wont work with cars and trucks barreling down the road.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Omahacritic wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:01 pm To make this section of 13th Street work they have to slow the traffic down considerably. Change it to 3 lanes

With it getting decent traffic to the interstate south, is that a real possibility?
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

Louie wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 pm
Omahacritic wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:01 pm To make this section of 13th Street work they have to slow the traffic down considerably. Change it to 3 lanes

With it getting decent traffic to the interstate south, is that a real possibility?
Courage, vision and willpower.

Even if they find a way to divert some traffic to other corridors. If people slow down they look around. If they look around they might want to stop and buy.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Going off memory, but at the neighborhood meeting I think they said the traffic count on the street is fine for a road diet. What prevents it is that it is a truck route. There were also comments about being respectful to the long term light industrial users on the corridor while helping the new pedestrian focused businesses.

Long story short there will be bumpouts and some improved landscaping, but the lanes weren't going away.

I do agree though. A perfect world that corridor looks something like this and could spur some insane development and change.

Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:08 pm Going off memory, but at the neighborhood meeting I think they said the traffic count on the street is fine for a road diet. What prevents it is that it is a truck route. There were also comments about being respectful to the long term light industrial users on the corridor while helping the new pedestrian focused businesses.

Long story short there will be bumpouts and some improved landscaping, but the lanes weren't going away.

I do agree though. A perfect world that corridor looks something like this and could spur some insane development and change.

Holy |expletive| that would look so good.
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:08 pm Going off memory, but at the neighborhood meeting I think they said the traffic count on the street is fine for a road diet. What prevents it is that it is a truck route. There were also comments about being respectful to the long term light industrial users on the corridor while helping the new pedestrian focused businesses.

Sorry to hear there is such resistance. The truck route designation is probably a legacy from 75 years ago. Though, I can have some sympathy for ligh5 industrial in the area. But how much of that through traffic really benefits Them?

The photo you gave is a start. You get the idea!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

The problem more than anything is the Post Office
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

I drive this route to work every day, from I-80 to downtown.

Probably 90% of the heavy vehicle traffic is due to the Post Office depot, 10% is the random businesses along 13th, like a trailer for a band at Sokol or deliveries for the machine shops.

Traffic is very light outside of rush hour. Rush hour is all people going one way in or out from I-80 and downtown. The 480 ramps are already very overloaded in the morning, you can't simply move all the traffic there without creating gridlock.

Part of a real solution would be cleaning up 480 so that the Leavenworth and Harney/Farnam/Douglas/Dodge (what a ridiculous combination) off-ramps weren't such a complete mess, then people like me wouldn't need to cheat by using 13th Street to get to downtown.
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

PWL73316 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:27 am I drive this route to work every day, from I-80 to downtown.

Probably 90% of the heavy vehicle traffic is due to the Post Office depot, 10% is the random businesses along 13th, like a trailer for a band at Sokol or deliveries for the machine shops.

Traffic is very light outside of rush hour. Rush hour is all people going one way in or out from I-80 and downtown. The 480 ramps are already very overloaded in the morning, you can't simply move all the traffic there without creating gridlock.

Part of a real solution would be cleaning up 480 so that the Leavenworth and Harney/Farnam/Douglas/Dodge (what a ridiculous combination) off-ramps weren't such a complete mess, then people like me wouldn't need to cheat by using 13th Street to get to downtown.
I’ve biked it at 10:00 in morning, trucks barreling down 13th and cars too, at that time of day. But mail truck drivers tend to be worst. Mostly contract drivers.
But I agree with you, enhance the alternatives and slow the traffic down with 2 or 3 Stop Signs and it becomes a nice district to gather with friends from the area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Little Bohemia's Beercade 2 opens Friday on South 13th Street

https://www.omaha.com/omahadines/little ... 0c7f5.html
Sarah Baker Hansen / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The second location of Beercade, on South 13th Street, will open Friday at noon.