Dundee Flats

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Re: 49th and Dodge Project

Post by MTO »

A couple days ago I was coming back from Kentucky and noticed that grove has become a transient Meca.
15-17, 26, 32
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Interesting. So they built a bridge that never got used and then turned around and tore it down years later?
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Not a bridge, just a ramp and it was there for over a decade, maybe 2. It ended on the east side of 30th St across from the hotel.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Not to diverge too much from this topic (which has never happened before), but wasn't there a bar on 30th St here that Preston Love used to play at, that burned down a while back?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Dundeemaha wrote:Not a bridge, just a ramp and it was there for over a decade, maybe 2. It ended on the east side of 30th St across from the hotel.
Actually, it ended on the west side of 30th (31st and Davenport). There were two bridges over 30th St.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I imagine the freeway, if it were built, would be 5 lanes each direction by now. Just imagine how different our city would be.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Dundeemaha wrote:Not a bridge, just a ramp and it was there for over a decade, maybe 2. It ended on the east side of 30th St across from the hotel.
Actually, it ended on the west side of 30th (31st and Davenport). There were two bridges over 30th St.
Wow seeing that takes me back. I used to drive under that every day coming home from my girlfriends house. Can't believe my memory was so off.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Coyote wrote:Not to diverge too much from this topic (which has never happened before), but wasn't there a bar on 30th St here that Preston Love used to play at, that burned down a while back?
IIRC, it was a restaurant called "Bob Gibson's" before it became a bar. Can anyone confirm?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

zippy wrote:
Coyote wrote:Not to diverge too much from this topic (which has never happened before), but wasn't there a bar on 30th St here that Preston Love used to play at, that burned down a while back?
IIRC, it was a restaurant called "Bob Gibson's" before it became a bar. Can anyone confirm?
Yes, it was owned by Baseball legend Bob Gibson, and locate directly across 30th Street from the hotel that changes names every 6-12 months. It opened in the late 1970s, and had a funky, fun, multi level interior. They had great burgers, as I recall. I think it was calls Bob Gibson's Baseball, Burgers and Beer, or something similar. It continue operating for quite some time, until eventually a fire destroyed the place, and it was never rebuilt.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

nativeomahan wrote:
zippy wrote:
Yes, it was owned by Baseball legend Bob Gibson, and locate directly across 30th Street from the hotel that changes names every 6-12 months. It opened in the late 1970s, and had a funky, fun, multi level interior. They had great burgers, as I recall. I think it was calls Bob Gibson's Baseball, Burgers and Beer, or something similar. It continue operating for quite some time, until eventually a fire destroyed the place, and it was never rebuilt.
Wow you guys are old. :lol:
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
zippy wrote:
Yes, but I got to hear Preston Love live at Bob Gibson's in the late 70's, thanks to a cool Dad.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:
MTO wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
zippy wrote:
Yes, but I got to hear Preston Love live at Bob Gibson's in the late 70's, thanks to a cool Dad.
Respect
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I did notice today the setback in front of the new Children's Physicians building next door to this proposal has the same distance from Dodge as CVS which includes parking.

And cities have more-or-less abandoned widening streets but Dodge is a five lane road with that bipolar middle lane. So they city should have a long range plane to widen it not for bandwidth but safety.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So far two of the three adjacent buildings are being cleared out. I'll keep an eye on that daycare that building is ugly..
15-17, 26, 32
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

This is going to look so much better!
Ramlco
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ramlco »

I'm excited for this, but I really hope they have a decent plan for parking with all these apartments. The streets in this neighborhood are already saturated with cars parked on the street most of the time.
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Post by mattl181 »

I have always actually liked the middle building with the windows and green/teal border. That said I will not be pulling a Specht and trying to save it from destruction, just always thought it could be cool, like a gallery or something.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ramlco wrote:I'm excited for this, but I really hope they have a decent plan for parking with all these apartments. The streets in this neighborhood are already saturated with cars parked on the street most of the time.
There will be interior parking.
asherballa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by asherballa »

Wow, this project was completely off my radar, which is sad since I currently live just a block away. Good for Dundee though, such a great neighborhood but many of the sections on Dodge in that stretch don't really do the neighborhood justice. I do fear for my commute when the eastbound lane closest to the property inevitably needs to shut down. Any updates on when demo might begin?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The visual design had changed, but the massing is the same. They will have another public meeting in a few months with even more details to offer.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Just saw a bunch of suits with blueprints standing on the corner.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MTO wrote:Just saw a bunch of suits with blueprints standing on the corner.
TIF should see the city council sometime in March.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

iamjacobm wrote:
MTO wrote:Just saw a bunch of suits with blueprints standing on the corner.
TIF should see the city council sometime in March.
Awesome, I'm really excited about this :-)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

That will be a really good addition to 49th and Dodge.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I appreciate all this reinvestment, but I wish there would be more of an effort to implement ground floor retail. A project occupying this much street front space along a major thoroughfare should have a few retail bays.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I like it, but I think I like the original rendering better.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I like it I like the more modern vibe of it and the planters out front plus the green accents give it some class.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

What's with the change?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

It does look modern, but why does every modern building designed in Omaha take on the boxy design (similar to Jones 13). I just feel that so many buildings in the city look like the exact design, just tweaked a little.
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

yawn, boxy,

Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I prefer the original plan. Although it would be nice, I don't necessarily find ground floor retail necessary since Dodge street is absolutely the least pedestrian friendly urban road in Omaha. Mayyyybe some on 49th. There needs to be good parking to support retail, especially on this stretch.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I believe the coffee shop is still in the plans. You can see patio seating in the renderings.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Dundee Flats

Post by U R my Helix »

The Dundee Flats could look very nice with with the green accents especially if they are back lit at night. Since it has a name now the Topic name should be changed from 49th and Dodge Project, please.

Last edited by U R my Helix on Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Seems to adopt all of the current repeated design cliches in one building. But I like it, nevertheless.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

The Dundee Lats. Neat building.
No posts exist for this topic
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

MadMartin8 wrote:The Dundee Lats. Neat building.
I know some designer got a cutesy wootsy idea but these ideas are best left at home. I am hoping the green is lit or there are white opera lights since this is basically Dundee's front door.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

According to their Facebook page, they are going to start demo/construction this spring and renting units by late summer/early fall 2017.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

MTO wrote:Image
While this new addition to the Dundee neighborhood is a dramatic improvement from what it is replacing, I still have fond childhood memories of the Photography studio that was housed for many years in the lighter colored building, in the middle of this photograph. Wuertheman-Constable, or some similar name. When I was a child my mother took all of us kids to have our pictures taken. My two year old sister was posed with a stuffed toy puppy, in her blue Easter suit. The photo came out so well that the studio gave a large framed blowup print to my Mom for (I hope) free in return for being able to use the image in their advertising. They changed her Easter coat from blue to rose pink, and ended up hanging the picture in their front window for 3 or 4 years. It was illuminated at night. Every time we would drive by we would slow down so my sister could get another look at herself in the window.
So I will miss the building for sentimental reasons.