Dundee Flats

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Dundee Flats

Post by iamjacobm »

Rumor #1 coming through here.

http://www.omaha.com/money/new-project- ... c50ff.html
If the full-service real estate firm is successful in assembling more parcels, president Aaron Moser said, the project could spread beyond the current half-acre site on the intersection’s southeast corner and expand from at least 50 market-rate apartments to 150.

As it stands, he said, the proposed construction project would be at least an $8 million investment with 3,000 square feet of retail space. It would be four stories high, with apartments on the top three levels and retail and covered parking on the ground floor.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: 49th and Dodge Project

Post by RNcyanide »

That actually looks pretty awesome.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I cant quite tell the scale and nothing against this site but I wish the city would require further setbacks from the street. Just because there are older properties in the area next to Dodge does not mean that we should keep doing this.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That seems reasonable. It's kind of harrowing walking within several feet of rushing traffic.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

At least some good news about development in the paper this morning. I think it looks fantastic compared to the existing structures.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

U R my Helix wrote:I cant quite tell the scale and nothing against this site but I wish the city would require further setbacks from the street. Just because there are older properties in the area next to Dodge does not mean that we should keep doing this.
That is one of the main things I like about this project. I hate when a ton of green space, or even worse yet, a bunch of parking is fronting streets.
Ramlco
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ramlco »

I believe the city requires the building to be close to the street and have plenty of walking room in this area to keep an urban feel on these new developments. Here's a link to their guidelines handbook.

http://www.cityofomaha.org/planning/urb ... 20V1.1.pdf

I'm pretty excited about this project. These buildings are quite an eyesore.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ramlco wrote:I believe the city requires the building to be close to the street and have plenty of walking room in this area to keep an urban feel on these new developments. Here's a link to their guidelines handbook.

http://www.cityofomaha.org/planning/urb ... 20V1.1.pdf

I'm pretty excited about this project. These buildings are quite an eyesore.
Thankfully the city requires this.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Keeping my fingers crossed the other building owners cooperate.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This won't be as close as the Dundee theater is.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

This transmission shop isn't historic, is it? :;):

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

My sister biffed on the ice in front of the Dundee theater, I had to stop her from then sliding into traffic. Amazes me the city hasn't put more effort into making that stretch safer for pedestrians like better leveling or non-slip texturing.
15-17, 26, 32
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

This is how you build density in a city! What I'd give for a few more of those on Dodge between MTC and 52nd...

Are the other property owners that the developer is targeting on Dodge or are they further into the neighborhood?
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

This project is great! Love it!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Project looks awesome. I used to live at 49th Ave and Dodge the traffic is SO loud,
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

This is really going to look great compared to:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It is going SE of 49th Street and Dodge.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

So catercorner from the Varsity Sports Cafe?

Even better, that intersection will look great with a 4 story development.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

U R my Helix wrote:I cant quite tell the scale and nothing against this site but I wish the city would require further setbacks from the street. Just because there are older properties in the area next to Dodge does not mean that we should keep doing this.
Expanding Dodge to six+ lanes through this stretch is looking increasingly unlikely. If additional capacity is needed through this stretch, I wouldn't be surprised if alternatives on other streets are considered. And I think that's ok... this stretch of Dodge should be urban, it should be walkable.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

There was a proposal to expand Dodge into six lanes on this stretch? When? How would that have even been possible without demolishing a bunch of buildings?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Expanding dodge or other streets an extra lane would barely help with traffic, if at all - and I can't think of any streets around there that would be a good fit.

Instead, if we're talking about infrastructure, this area should focus on pedestrian enhancements a la Underwood and making this area more safe for the people soon to move in. This area is located between one of Omaha's most desirable neighborhoods and its largest employer (who is quickly expanding and about to redevlop a major parce) so growth will only continue.

City planning will have to change their 90s mentality as our urban fabric expands.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Midwestern wrote:There was a proposal to expand Dodge into six lanes on this stretch? When? How would that have even been possible without demolishing a bunch of buildings?
If you can find some of the old articles about the Saddle Creek realignment, there were indications the city (at least the city engineers) wanted to continue six-laning Dodge through the area, including left-turn lanes onto Saddle Creek. This obviously would be a dramatic departure for the area and, yes, would include demolition of buildings on at least one side of the street.

Since that won't be possible with all new development along the way, this suggests to me that either the city isn't worried about traffic through the area or that they will push for a street like Maple or Blondo to be expanded in the future to take load off of Dodge.

I agree that six-laning through that area would do little to help with congestion. The only expansion that would help alleviate congestion on Dodge would be to separate grade at 90th and 72nd streets, but otherwise, near 49th, there are very few backups. With that in mind, I hope the city continues to press for development right up against Dodge Street through this stretch.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

With how far the CVS was set away from Dodge I wondered if the city was provisioning for far far out widening. Granted it would take decades for it to happen if it ever did but nonetheless. I personally don't feel as if dodge should become a pedestrian friendly zone as say Underwood. Not that it shouldn't be safe and occomodating at all. It's just too busy and will always be a heavy trafficked corridor.
15-17, 26, 32
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The City has pretty much abandoned the idea of a six lane Dodge street in this area.

This is a nationwide trend most mature cities have abandoned the idea of expanding surface streets into and out of their core. The only exception is improvements to existing interstate or freeways. Most cities would rather develop neighborhoods along these major roads rather than bulldoze more buildings so people can commute to the far suburbs.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

riceweb wrote:The only expansion that would help alleviate congestion on Dodge would be to separate grade at 90th and 72nd streets.
Since it's at the crest of a hill, I wonder if East/West Dodge could be tunneled under 90th.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

I'd much rather see light rail than the 5 years of absolute traffic torture that would induce!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Someone on here said that a long time ago they looked into ripping out Dundee to make Dodge a freeway. Thank whichever higher power you prefer that didn't happen.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Let's concentrate on building up density and implementing new transportation options rather than producing more expressways.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I think many of us already know, but if you look at past images of I-480 at 30th street, you'll see the bridges over 30th that were intended to extend the freeway west. I think it would be really interesting to see a plan of what the route was going to be. I think if they chose wisely which streets to take out, the loss of history wouldn't have been too terrible. Though, I don't think city planners at the time would have put forth that much effort.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

iamjacobm wrote:Someone on here said that a long time ago they looked into ripping out Dundee to make Dodge a freeway. Thank whichever higher power you prefer that didn't happen.
It wasn't a higher power, then like now a tremendous amount of politically connected old money Omaha powerbrokers lived in Dundee and weren't going to see their neighborhood bulldozed for a freeway. There was a connector built for traffic to continue west on 480 were the Interstate turns downtown that went all the way to 30th street but it was never used because the construction of the road stopped. The bridge sat unused for 30 years and was torn out when the Interchange was rebuilt in the 90s.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It was even spat out once an elevated train would be built along the Dodge corridor, while we're recanting fantastical idears.
15-17, 26, 32
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:Image
This is an incredible urban site plan, and great for the location. It's going to illustrate even more how poorly-executed the CVS building is.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

How many years ago were we having a discussion on how ugly this stretch of Dodge was...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:How many years ago were we having a discussion on how ugly this stretch of Dodge was...
Five
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:There was a connector built for traffic to continue west on 480 were the Interstate turns downtown that went all the way to 30th street but it was never used because the construction of the road stopped. The bridge sat unused for 30 years and was torn out when the Interchange was rebuilt in the 90s.
Details/pictures of this? I don't remember that at all.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Bosco55David wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:There was a connector built for traffic to continue west on 480 were the Interstate turns downtown that went all the way to 30th street but it was never used because the construction of the road stopped. The bridge sat unused for 30 years and was torn out when the Interchange was rebuilt in the 90s.
This map shows the proposed West Expressway running north of Dodge out to Saddlecreek. But it was cancelled when it became clear people wouldn't allow it to continue on west through Dundee. Glad that didn't get built. It shows the North freeway route too, which was mostly built.

The North Freeway (later I-580 and U.S. 75) proposed from I-480 to Ames Avenue. The cancelled West Freeway appears as well from I-480 west to Saddle Creek Road. Ramps constructed at the I-480/North Freeway interchange for the incomplete West Freeway were eventually dismantled.
http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-580_ne.html#history
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Bosco55David wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:
If you get on Google earth and go back to ~ 1990 you can see a northbound ramp for the westbound route as well as ramps coming from westbound 480 and southbound 75.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And when the finally removed them I'm surprised they didn't do something like to open it up for development.
15-17, 26, 32
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

MTO wrote:And when the finally removed them I'm surprised they didn't do something like to open it up for development.
Because they're all getting handys from concrete salesmen probably. May need to hold onto it in case a new interstate needs to be routed through the middle of Dundee as originally planned....The mound of sporadic trees and the parcel south of the hotel should never be needed again.

Most of what the NDOR does isn't necessary. The old figuration of this interchange had the off-ramps from southbound US-75 and westbound 480 meet and then continue to 30th street as one. There was no reason to separate them.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert