Zag Apartments (51st & Mayberry)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: 51st & Mayberry

Post by RNcyanide »

51st ave wrote:
Taco wrote:This is the type of project Omaha needs. Turning two single family homes into apartments for 200 will provide a great boost of density for the area, and I believe that it's close enough to Leavenworth that it won't affect the neighborhood too much.
I live here. This is not a positive. I did not move here in the hopes of one day achieving increased density. I am looking to move now and will turn my home into rental property.
Organize some people to go speak to the Council/Planning Board and let them know how you feel. It's not impossible to stop these things. I actually saw a better rendering somewhere else, and it still looks horrible.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

RNcyanide wrote:
51st ave wrote:
Taco wrote:This is the type of project Omaha needs. Turning two single family homes into apartments for 200 will provide a great boost of density for the area, and I believe that it's close enough to Leavenworth that it won't affect the neighborhood too much.
I live here. This is not a positive. I did not move here in the hopes of one day achieving increased density. I am looking to move now and will turn my home into rental property.
Organize some people to go speak to the Council/Planning Board and let them know how you feel. It's not impossible to stop these things. I actually saw a better rendering somewhere else, and it still looks horrible.
I don't live there, but I drive Leavenworth many times a week and do not relish having the added traffic, to say nothing of the construction related delays on that road. I would go with you. Does anyone know if the Planning board accepts Email testimony like the Unicameral does?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

51st ave wrote:
Your neighborhood is in between two universities that are rapidly expanding and one of Omaha's premier parks. From an urban development perspective it is ripe for densification as is currently going on further east on Leavenworth. The city's urban planners will likely support this proposal as a way to add property tax to the area with a developer with a track record of success. When looking at the city layout it makes sense to build this project here.

Still, talk to your councilmen and your neighbors. Stakeholder input is an essential part of the planning process, and it seems from the news article that you aren't the only one against it. With loud enough voices you could certainly get this project amended or reduced.
51st ave
New to the Neighborhood

Post by 51st ave »

bigredmed wrote:I don't live there, but I drive Leavenworth many times a week and do not relish having the added traffic, to say nothing of the construction related delays on that road. I would go with you. Does anyone know if the Planning board accepts Email testimony like the Unicameral does?
eric.englund@cityofomaha.org
Eric is the head administrator

email all of our objections & request to be read, especially if you cannot attend.

1:30 p.m. Wednesday February 3rd at the City County Building, Legislative Chambers.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Good lord. I thought it was traffic engineers causing problems but the damn neighborhood people are asking for more parking, turn lanes, street widenings and traffic lights. Yes, by all means, move away, that will show em... :hammer:
51st ave
New to the Neighborhood

Post by 51st ave »

cdub wrote:Good lord. I thought it was traffic engineers causing problems but the darn neighborhood people are asking for more parking, turn lanes, street widenings and traffic lights. Yes, by all means, move away, that will show em... :hammer:
I don't want more parking. I don't want turn lanes. I don't want the streets to be widened. I don't want traffic lights. I'm not trying to "show" anyone.
I want to be left alone. I want the green space to remain and I especially don't want some darn bubblehead forum member who doesn't live near me to recommend what is best for me.
asherballa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by asherballa »

51st ave wrote:
cdub wrote:Good lord. I thought it was traffic engineers causing problems but the darn neighborhood people are asking for more parking, turn lanes, street widenings and traffic lights. Yes, by all means, move away, that will show em... :hammer:
I don't want more parking. I don't want turn lanes. I don't want the streets to be widened. I don't want traffic lights. I'm not trying to "show" anyone.
I want to be left alone. I want the green space to remain and I especially don't want some darn bubblehead forum member who doesn't live near me to recommend what is best for me.
Tell us how you really feel.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

51st ave wrote:
I have some questions for you 51st ave if you don't mind. I sincerely don't mean to sound mocking, and I am interested in your perspective and expectations for the neighborhood.

1. Do you feel that given the high demand in this part of town between two of the largest universities in the state that are growing, do you feel it is justified that developers are wanting to increase density?

2. Do you feel like it is good for the city for this development as it is currently proposed to occur?

3. Do you feel it could increase the property values in your neighborhood, and if no then how exactly would it decrease the value of your home?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Planning Board approves on the plan 7-0. Will go to the city council next.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

51st ave wrote:
I have a few bubble head real estate agents if you'd like the phone numbers.

I'm sure the owners of the property in question also don't want people telling them what to do.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Good emphasis on 21 stories
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:Some interesting things in here.

http://aepna.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... -02-03.pdf
That's a pretty good presentation.

The only part of this project that doesn't make much sense is that it doesn't front Leavenworth with first-floor commercial. A street-fronted multi-story building would fit in very well there, complementing the older buildings like Gerdas and the old Wohlner's. The strip mall with grimy parking in front just doesn't make that stretch very inviting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of new development go up on the nursery/Christmas tree site sometime. It seems like there are more valuable uses for that space now.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Seth wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Some interesting things in here.

http://aepna.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... -02-03.pdf
That's a pretty good presentation.

The only part of this project that doesn't make much sense is that it doesn't front Leavenworth with first-floor commercial. A street-fronted multi-story building would fit in very well there, complementing the older buildings like Gerdas and the old Wohlner's. The strip mall with grimy parking in front just doesn't make that stretch very inviting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of new development go up on the nursery/Christmas tree site sometime. It seems like there are more valuable uses for that space now.
There are other developments planned along Leavenworth. If I remember correctly, things have not yet worked out for a couple of other locations, but as leases expire at some locations along Leavenworth, we might see more projects announced soon.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

I used to live right there (well, across the street). I'm trying to imagine 400-ish additional residents in that block. Certainly, something would have to be improved in the infrastructure. Not to mention Three Happiness probably needing to expand into yet another bay. :;): I'm an advocate of increasing density in general, but I suppose that's easy for me to say now that I don't live in that neighborhood anymore.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

$2.74 million in TIF before the city council.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Demo well underway.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

KETV is reporting some demo has begun and construction will start soon.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like footings are in here.
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

What you can't see in this photo, just to the right side, the northern parking lot has been poured.

Also, did you know that 4 or 5 bays in the strip mall are empty. Hopefully, Leavenworth starts to become a district and businesses start picking up speed.
51Mayberry.jpg
51Mayberry.jpg (170.02 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

They didn't tear down three happiness did they?
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

No. But it's a sad strip mall. I'd like to see it replaced and 3 Happiness move into a much more worthy building.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

nebraska wrote:No. But it's a sad strip mall. I'd like to see it replaced and 3 Happiness move into a much more worthy building.
A building there similar to the blackstone station building fronting farnam or the new one in dundee is high on my wishlist. Leavenworth from saddle creek to 52nd is criminally underdeveloped imo.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is going vertical.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

15-17, 26, 32
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

MTO wrote:Image
The best things about all of these midtown and downtown developments is an increase in the tax base and more density as opposed to single family homes. More density makes a good mass transit system more financially viable.
Back Home in Omaha!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

I drove by this the other day. Some residents will definitely have complaints about their new view, and I could see why people complained about parking. Pretty big development for the land area. Should hopefully be great when it's done.
Gopher
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Gopher »

Somebody posted to Google Maps a good view of the construction progress for this site. The photo is about a month old, and it looks like the view is from Elmwood Tower.
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

Taken today from my polling place.
Attachments
Pic2.jpg
Pic2.jpg (108.54 KiB) Viewed 4039 times
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Zag Apartments (51st & Mayberry)

Post by iamjacobm »

"Zag Apartments"
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

I don't understand these $1000 a month studios. Who is their target demographic? What I mean is, who has $1000 a month to throw away on a 676 sq ft studio apartment?

Studio $1,020
1 Bedroom $1,120 – 1,270
2 Bedrooms $1,350

Source:
http://www.apartmenthomeliving.com/apar ... 06-5695479
https://www.apartments.com/zag-omaha-ne/te1yjjc/
https://www.apartmentguide.com/apartmen ... 100033527/
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I don't understand these $1000 a month studios. Who is their target demographic?
It looks like the "studio" actually has a bedroom, just no door for it. 676 sq. ft is pretty big for a studio.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I don't understand these $1000 a month studios. Who is their target demographic? What I mean is, who has $1000 a month to throw away on a 676 sq ft studio apartment?

Studio $1,020
1 Bedroom $1,120 – 1,270
2 Bedrooms $1,350

Source:
http://www.apartmenthomeliving.com/apar ... 06-5695479
https://www.apartments.com/zag-omaha-ne/te1yjjc/
https://www.apartmentguide.com/apartmen ... 100033527/

Young single professionals, which being close to UNMC and several Fortune Five Hundred companies will be easy to find.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I agree that the increase in the price of rental properties in Omaha is outrageous. I believe the increases in rent are not keeping pace with wage increases. I suspect that if this continues there will be an apartment bubble or at least a luxury apartment bubble. If the bubble doesn't happen due to a slowing in construction, and wage growth is still slower than rate increases of rent then I think you'll see more and more people sharing homes/apartments. Hopefully the market will compensate to prevent this.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Linkin5 wrote:
Omaha_corn_burner wrote:I don't understand these $1000 a month studios. Who is their target demographic? What I mean is, who has $1000 a month to throw away on a 676 sq ft studio apartment?
Young single professionals, which being close to UNMC and several Fortune Five Hundred companies will be easy to find.
Thanks. Where do those people live now? Rental homes, or just other not-as-nice apartments?
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

I think the downtown rental market is softening. When I was looking a couple months ago for my new place there was a lot of wheeling and dealing going on.
Back Home in Omaha!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

One man's expensive apartment is another man's bargain. My buddy paid over $6000 a month for a 2 BR in NYC. No balcony or clubhouse. But he thought it was a bargain compared to the $9000 a month approximately he was paying in his former city.
Now he is in San Francisco and has a 2 BR condo costing him "only" $4,500 a month.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

nativeomahan wrote:My buddy paid over $6000 a month for a 2 BR in NYC.
Who cares? We are talking about Omaha.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I was reading an OWH article on a piece of artwork that was installed in this complex's courtyard. I didn't realize it was open and completed. Anyway, here is a link to pictures of the development. I think it's a nice complex for that neighborhood.

https://www.omaha.com/money/photos-an-i ... cf6.html#1
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

I recently drove past Zag. I used to live in that neighborhood. WOW :shock: that block sure has changed! I wonder what the people in homes right across the street(s) think.