Farnam St Development

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Farnam St Development

Post by Coyote »

Was talking with an Even Hotel rep a little while ago. He said not only have they purchased 4 or 5 buildings in the area, but there is another developer who is buying other buildings and converting them , and, he made it sound like there are now more players in the push for streetcars along Farnam and he said with confidence it will get done, that this stretch of the city may become very different in a few years...
mattl181
Home Owners Association

Re: Even Hotel (Omaha Hotel - 24th and Farnam)

Post by mattl181 »

Coyote wrote:Was talking with an Even Hotel rep a little while ago. He said not only have they purchased 4 or 5 buildings in the area, but there is another developer who is buying other buildings and converting them , and, he made it sound like there are now more players in the push for streetcars along Farnam and he said with confidence it will get done, that this stretch of the city may become very different in a few years...
Do you know if they are looking more to purchase buildings and demolish or to rehab them?

Exciting news about the streetcar, though. In ways this area (in my head, once it is developed), reminds me a bit of Capital Hill (Denver). Something just outside of the main downtown hub with walkable neighborhoods and a mix of housing and shops and restaurants. I hope we can get a majority of these buildings rehabbed though. There are surely many surface lots in this area that could be developed with new construction.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

mattl181 wrote:Do you know if they are looking more to purchase buildings and demolish or to rehab them?
I only had a limited time with him, so I didn't have much time for too many questions. But the way he seemed to talk it would be demolition. Last time I talked with him he said the building to the west would be demolished.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Coyote wrote:Was talking with an Even Hotel rep a little while ago. He said not only have they purchased 4 or 5 buildings in the area, but there is another developer who is buying other buildings and converting them , and, he made it sound like there are now more players in the push for streetcars along Farnam and he said with confidence it will get done, that this stretch of the city may become very different in a few years...
I think we are within two years of an announcement at most.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I've believed for years that this stretch was ripe for redevelopment, and it looks like it's about to really take off.

Aside from a few nice buildings, there are quite a few that would be wisely sacrificed for good-quality 2-4 story mixed-used structures. If the new developments follow a strong new-urban model, this stretch is going to be great.

Streetcars would be great too, but it will be interesting to see how that plays out long-term. The excitement and eagerness for new systems in a lot of cities seems like it could be near a plateau, and I'd rather see enough commitment and support for it in the right time, than have it rushed and pushed through only to fizzle and sink even better long-term transportation alternatives.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I hope the area doesn't get entirely white washed by these investors. I get that there is more opportunity for income with 4 floors above your retail, but the character of older buildings with modern constructing fit in would create for a much more attractive place IMO. You really don't have to go that far down Farnam to see the new/old relationship in Blackstone.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Farnam St Development

Post by Coyote »

Decided to start a new thread on these developments
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

You should jump my last post in the Even Hotel thread over here too. 8)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:You should jump my last post in the Even Hotel thread over here too. 8)
Just did...

Does this stretch have a 'district' designation name?
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I don't know that this is the most relevant thread to post it in, but I recently ran across what I thought was a good example of modern development that fits well into a historic, dense neighborhood. It's in Chicago, but it does a good job of matching the spirit and design of old brick buildings, but not copying (and failing, as most modern attempts to copy old stuff do).

http://seniorhousingnews.com/2016/01/24 ... not-style/
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Agreed, I would love to see that I'm Farnam St