The Duke of Omaha Apartment (Lyman Richey Site)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

U R my Helix
Human Relations

The Duke of Omaha Apartment (Lyman Richey Site)

Post by U R my Helix »

According to the April 2016 Dundee - Memorial Park Association Newsletter "Lyman Richey, the Cement Company, is selling their property at 46th north of Dodge Street. Recent conversations indicate an interested developer is close to securing the property. The developer is from out of state and plans to build 200-300 unit apartment complex at the location that spans from Dodge all the way up to California Street. It's no small project, with the investment estimated at over 30 million.. ..."

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Lyman Richey - Apartment Site 200-300 Units

Post by RNcyanide »

Dood.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That area NEEDS something like that! Wonderful news.
15-17, 26, 32
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

200-300 is a pretty small number for that size of property imo. Sounds like it would be 2-3 floors at most.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Cool! I would love more urban density along that unique, meandering Saddle Creek Road... It seems like they are doing a better job of infilling areas now.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

But that is where the light rail is supposed to go!

Really though, that's a good amount of cars to add to the area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Busguy2010 wrote:But that is where the light rail is supposed to go!
That was a pipe dream by that now defunct group. They wanted to use the old railroad right of way, but that ran right through the middle of where that no-frills, popeye's, child saving institute, and UNMC parking garage are now.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Is this going to be too close to Dundee? If so, I can see them trying to get the project scrapped like when Fairacres and Memorial Park fussed over the proposed 70th and Cass apartments.
Last edited by jessep28 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
vvindows10
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vvindows10 »

This is going to be a very unique site given its length and narrow lot with. I see a lot of potential as it sits high before it drops down to Saddle Creek.

I think it could be very cool in a row house design if they had parking access and underground garage entry from the Saddle Creek side, possibly with elevators to the upper level. This would also eliminate any possible objection from the Dundee people about traffic.

Can't wait to learn more. Who is doing this?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

jessep28 wrote:Is this going to be too close to Dundee? If so, I can see them trying to get the project scrapped like when Fairacres and Memorial Park fussed over the proposed 70th and Cass apartments.
No, it's close to Saddle Creek. It's like two blocks away. Given what the block currently is, I don't think they'd mind about it becoming apartments.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I'm just afraid it's going to end up being a suburban concept.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I think they'll be fine. With the layout of the lot, a spacey suburban feel won't work that well here.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

vvindows10 wrote:This is going to be a very unique site given its length and narrow lot with. I see a lot of potential as it sits high before it drops down to Saddle Creek.

I think it could be very cool in a row house design if they had parking access and underground garage entry from the Saddle Creek side, possibly with elevators to the upper level. This would also eliminate any possible objection from the Dundee people about traffic.

Can't wait to learn more. Who is doing this?
Yeah you're right row houses would be a greate idea for that area and given the relatively low density maybe that's the plan. This area is largely disenfranchised by the greater Dundee collective so I doubt they'll give any protest.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

U R my Helix wrote:According to the April 2016 Dundee - Memorial Park Association Newsletter "Lyman Richey, the Cement Company, is selling their property at 46th north of Dodge Street. Recent conversations indicate an interested developer is close to securing the property. The developer is from out of state and plans to build 200-300 unit apartment complex at the location that spans from Dodge all the way up to California Street. It's no small project, with the investment estimated at over 30 million.. ..."

Anyway you could post the rough dimensions of that lot from google maps? DC Assessor doesn't have the info and my computer isn't getting along with google maps lately.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Relying on the "Google scale" I would guess it is just over 200 wide by about 1800 ft long + or - . The assessors website says it is 8.5 acres and 374,042 sf.

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

U R my Helix wrote:Relying on the "Google scale" I would guess it is just over 200 wide by about 1800 ft long + or - . The assessors website says it is 8.5 acres and 374,042 sf.

That's pretty close. The measuring tools in Google Earth Pro says about 230 x 1800, or 9 acres.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

My hope for this site is that they present a modern clean row house design with underground parking access from the commercial area below. Something similar to these photos in Buffalo but cleaner. Something with a variety of facades that blend in with the age and look of the area and not just one or two long flat buildings. It could be a couple of long buildings on the inside just make it interesting on the exterior. One can at least hope.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Thanks for the dimensions guys!

The reason I asked was to see how this project would fit. Turns out the depth is spot on, but the length is about double! This is 330 units so expect quite a bit less density than that.

U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

It is amazing what you can find with a quick search these days. Yes your plans look like they would fit well here. These are for the Metropolitan in Oklahoma City, OK. There are no good street views out yet but the renderings look accurate. Note for those who don’t scan the posts well this is not the actual development but something on a similar sized site.

Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

From the Dundee Memorial Park Facebook page...

"Tonight, come see a presentation by the developers proposing a very large apartment complex on the Lyman Richie concrete site at 46th and Dodge (north side). Christopher Jerram will be present as well as representatives from the developer. The presentation is at UNO's Thompson Alumni house at 67th and Dodge. 7pm!"

Additional information from the post: [The developer is] The Giddings Group from Georgia. $40 million project, 300+ units, $6 million or so in TIF request.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Lillian Bean wrote:From the Dundee Memorial Park Facebook page...

"Tonight, come see a presentation by the developers proposing a very large apartment complex on the Lyman Richie concrete site at 46th and Dodge (north side). Christopher Jerram will be present as well as representatives from the developer. The presentation is at UNO's Thompson Alumni house at 67th and Dodge. 7pm!"

Additional information from the post: [The developer is] The Giddings Group from Georgia. $40 million project, 300+ units, $6 million or so in TIF request.

Used to live on 41st and Chicago. I love that area. Much better after the Travel Lodge was removed.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lillian Bean wrote:From the Dundee Memorial Park Facebook page...

Wish I could go, but that would be a heck of an investment in a part of town that could use some more residents. Hope it goes well.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Anyone make it and have more info? No news sites have postings yet from what I can tell.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Zoning changes in the works.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Looking at the Giddings Group's other projects, I'm afraid this development will be rather suburban looking. Also, their other projects are all rather high-end developments, so they might not be going the same route here.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

:oops:
Taco wrote:Looking at the Giddings Group's other projects, I'm afraid this development will be rather suburban looking. Also, their other projects are all rather high-end developments, so they might not be going the same route here.
A suburban design would be really out of place in Dundee. I hope they choose a design that will fit in.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Suburban or urban even exurban beats a comcrete plant.
15-17, 26, 32
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Re: The Duke of Omaha Apartment (Lyman Richey Site)

Post by Lillian Bean »

Attachments
57859d97de31a.image.jpg
57859d97de31a.image.jpg (186.62 KiB) Viewed 6288 times
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I don't really like the design, but it sounds like they've been sent back to the drawing board to make them fit in more with the neighborhood.
Last edited by TitosBuritoBarn on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lol, doesn't "Fit" with the neighborhood... And a concrete plant does?

On the west side, starting at dodge street working north you have, Crummy print shop building, over grown parking lot, wood siding single family home, wood siding single family home, brick home, brick home, stucco finish apartment, wood siding single family home, wood siding single family home, brick and stucco finish apartment, and a brick apartment.

So what appears to be a new brick and stucco finished apartment would fit right in.

I think this would be an amazing transformation for that neighborhood and the saddlecreek corridor.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

There's one thing you can count on any time a rendering is released, the vanity police showing up. I say build it and I live on 49th and Chicago, bring on the new neighbors! That area looks so dâmn derelict anything would be an improvement..
15-17, 26, 32
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

If it didn't actually fit with the neighborhood style it would make sense to try to get the design changed. Even though it's a concrete plant now, for the foreseeable future it will be apartments and now is the time to get the style right.

But I agree with your other point. This design seems like it would fit nearly perfectly w/ Dundee so I'm not sure what the problem is.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

I think the rendering is quite nice and fits well, but with some minor changes to appease the neighbors, it will be even better. What a great land use of this difficult parcel, I really hope this project works out.
loess hill lusting
New to the Neighborhood

Post by loess hill lusting »

Ideally, this super block would be broken up by at least one cross-street between Dodge and California connecting Saddle Creek to 46th. It'd be almost impossible now that the City allowed for Walmart to take over the old Target site without securing ROW or an easement.

Davenport and/or Chicago would be the most logical points to tie into the existing street network, even if you had a diagonal street to traverse the elevation change more gradually. The lack of permeability can add over half a mile of walking from Dundee to destinations along Saddle Creek.

If the developer wanted to be super awesome, they could build a step street passageway through their ground floor to allow pedestrians to cut down the hill.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I think the design looks really good as is. Dundee is already known for its great variety of good materials and styles, and this design compliments that. I believe designs should be reflective of the time in which they were built and not necessarily have to copy exactly what has been done before from other eras. I don't see where the neighbors have anything to complain about with this design.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Maybe they need to keep the design more inline with what the concrete plant looks like. Perhaps, Dundee residents would be happy with that. Investors try to save Dundee time and time again and all Dundee can do is gripe about it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The development surrounding Midtown, Med Center and Dundee right now is impressive. ~600 units u/c along Leavenworth from 30th to 50th. Two new buildings fronting Dodge on the way and now a huge influx to support the local businesses in Dundee.

Good times east of 72nd.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I just drove down Saddlecreek and looked harder at this site than normal, its going to have a great presence along Saddlecreek!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

choke wrote:Maybe they need to keep the design more inline with what the concrete plant looks like. Perhaps, Dundee residents would be happy with that. Investors try to save Dundee time and time again and all Dundee can do is gripe about it.

Or make it low income housing.
No posts exist for this topic
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Say what you will, but this is what the Duke of Nashville looks like...

I'd rather have this.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert