The Duke of Omaha Apartment (Lyman Richey Site)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

lmdramos
Library Board

Re: The Duke of Omaha Apartment (Lyman Richey Site)

Post by lmdramos »

I like the Nashville one more as well but honestly the first one looks like a better fit for Dundee.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:I just drove down Saddlecreek and looked harder at this site than normal, its going to have a great presence along Saddlecreek!
They will probably look like 10 floor buildings from Saddle Creek.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Obligatory article talking about size and scale. A couple quick renderings and a layout are shown as well.

http://www.ketv.com/news/residents-conc ... x/40808444
"We don't have a lot of high buildings, we don't have very dense projects," Romero said.

Romero co-owns Mark's Bistro in Dundee, and she's president of the Dundee Memorial Park Neighborhood Association.

Romero has concerns about the design with developers from out of state, and said it's just too much for Dundee.

"I do not think the scale of the project fits Dundee at all," Romero said "And I think the traffic issue is just a symptom of how it doesn't fit."
Also found this interesting.
A map shows 20 new apartment complexes in progress in Dundee, midtown and downtown, totaling more than 3,000 new rental units east of 60th Street.

A report from Omaha's Alchemy Development, late last year, said the city's apartment market is heading toward an over-supply of 500 unrented apartments.

And some experts predict midtown will push the limits of absorption by the end of the year.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

When they say 'push the limits of absorption', are they saying that the market will absorb available units before new are available? Or vice versa?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:Obligatory article talking about size and scale. A couple quick renderings and a layout are shown as well.

http://www.ketv.com/news/residents-conc ... x/40808444
"We don't have a lot of high buildings, we don't have very dense projects," Romero said.

Romero co-owns Mark's Bistro in Dundee, and she's president of the Dundee Memorial Park Neighborhood Association.

Romero has concerns about the design with developers from out of state, and said it's just too much for Dundee.

"I do not think the scale of the project fits Dundee at all," Romero said "And I think the traffic issue is just a symptom of how it doesn't fit."
Also found this interesting.
A map shows 20 new apartment complexes in progress in Dundee, midtown and downtown, totaling more than 3,000 new rental units east of 60th Street.

A report from Omaha's Alchemy Development, late last year, said the city's apartment market is heading toward an over-supply of 500 unrented apartments.

And some experts predict midtown will push the limits of absorption by the end of the year.
Here we go again. Just like Fairacres. Old money is gonna lean on the city council to kill the apartments.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I imagine this one gets through. Just normal neighbor worries, change worries people. The project on the west end of Cass was demoing a fairly notable building and on the wealthier end of the neighborhood. This one is replacing an industrial site on the side of Dundee with a bunch of rentals, that frankly are pretty low quality.

What I think needs to be shown is that residents that can afford 1000+ in rent are more likely to visit the nice restaurants in Dundee than the old rentals units that go for dirt cheep that make up much of east Dundee right now. $$$ in the hood is a good thing.

Also I always find it a little funny when people say big buildings don't belong in Dundee. There is a 6 story building literally smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

iamjacobm wrote:I imagine this one gets through. Just normal neighbor worries, change worries people. The project on the west end of Cass was demoing a fairly notable building and on the wealthier end of the neighborhood. This one is replacing an industrial site on the side of Dundee with a bunch of rentals, that frankly are pretty low quality.

What I think needs to be shown is that residents that can afford 1000+ in rent are more likely to visit the nice restaurants in Dundee than the old rentals units that go for dirt cheep that make up much of east Dundee right now. $$$ in the hood is a good thing.

Also I always find it a little funny when people say big buildings don't belong in Dundee. There is a 6 story building literally smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood.

I agree. I wonder if she has even set foot in that part of Dundee. It is somewhat run down. And I thought too that I saw the rent was going to be $1000/mo. and up. I can't understand why someone would be up-in-arms about bringing a higher income bracket to that part of Dundee?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

iamjacobm wrote:There is a 6 story building literally smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood.
I can't picture this, what/where is it?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Taco wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:There is a 6 story building literally smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood.
49th and Underwood:
Douglas County wrote:Image
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

choke wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I imagine this one gets through. Just normal neighbor worries, change worries people. The project on the west end of Cass was demoing a fairly notable building and on the wealthier end of the neighborhood. This one is replacing an industrial site on the side of Dundee with a bunch of rentals, that frankly are pretty low quality.

I agree. I wonder if she has even set foot in that part of Dundee. It is somewhat run down. And I thought too that I saw the rent was going to be $1000/mo. and up. I can't understand why someone would be up-in-arms about bringing a higher income bracket to that part of Dundee?
Neighbors in Dundee should be happy about this development. It's not like they are tearing down anything worth saving to make way for this. Increasing density near Saddlecreek makes sense. Adding higher income renters to the area should only make existing businesses in the area that much more successful.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Brad wrote:
Taco wrote:
49th and Underwood:
Forgot about that one. Almost a textbook bleh version of Le Corbusier urbanism.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Rezoning and TIF requests before planning board. Moving quick.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

I hope that the Dundee business owners will show up in support of the project. Between this and the one on 49th it represents 400 or more new customers visiting the Dundee shops and businesses every day.

The rendering provided is lacking in detail but if they are after an upscale market a developer will punch it up to make it work. That being said I like the look of the “Nashville Duke” much better, but I also support the much denser Metropolitan plan for this location. From the east this is going to be the new front door of Dundee, light it up.

Dundee is great but it can also use a booster shot. These projects are just what the area needs to continue the upward trend of reconverting some of the older conversions in the area back to large single family homes. The competition from these new developments will also have some Dundee landlords making updates to retain quality renters.

As a Dundee property owner just 3 blocks west I still say bring on this new project. The traffic concerns are unfounded given the proximity to Dodge and Saddle Creek. If the area has been able to handle the concrete plant with mixing trucks and semitrailers every day it can handle the people living at the property.

following are the Dundee Memorial Park Association comments:
Message from the President

I have been hearing from many neighbors that they are concerned about the Duke Apartment project proposed for the Lyman Richey site on the east side of 46th Street between California and Popeye’s, close to Dodge.

The details are: about 280 to 300 units, expected 500 residents, 400 parking stalls. The buildings (four or five) will rise three stories high on 46th Street, but over 60 feet on the Saddle Creek side, dominating the view to the west.

The project is going before the Planning Board next Wednesday, August 3, at 1:30 pm, which meets in the City-County Building, Legislative Chambers.

It is the 3rd item on the agenda for the purpose of rezoning to R8 (from industrial) and approving a PUR overlay district. There are no grounds for opposing the rezoning to residential. In the process of considering the PUR overlay for approval, however, the Planning Board may require modifications to the site plan and other aspects of the project.

Accordingly, the Planning Board meeting is an important opportunity to voice your concerns, if you have any, and propose modifications with the potential of causing modifications in the plan.

At the presentation for neighbors at the meeting announced in a DMPA email June 22, and held later that day at UNO, neighbors voiced significant concerns. Those concerns have also been voiced to me over the past few weeks, and I share those concerns.

These are the main concerns:

1. Too many residents, too many units, too many cars. Too much density for the space.

2. California and 46th Streets are not built for, cannot handle, and cannot be adapted to handle cars for 400 or 500 residents on that site.

3. With parking for only 400 cars and an anticipation of 500 residents, the area cannot handle the overflow of cars in such since there is insufficient street parking adjacent to the project.

4. The design is inappropriate in scale, material, and features for a mid-town neighborhood, such as Dundee.

5. The site has wonderful potential that is being squandered.

If you feel strongly about this issue, the remaining opportunities are few to voice your concerns. The first opportunity is next Wednesday, August 3. After that, there may be another, when the developer’s request for $6 million in Tax Increment Financing (TIF) which is tax payer funding for the project, is brought up at a public meeting. The final opportunity will be at a city council meeting, date to be determined. You may also voice your concerns to our city council representatives, which I highly encourage you to do.
Last edited by U R my Helix on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

U R my Helix wrote:From the east this is going to be the new front door of Dundee, light it up.
I agree, its going to be nice and visible from Saddlecreek.

I walked all over this entire property property today. I knew there was a lot of elevation change on the property, but until you stand there in person, its hard to imagine. You can look west and see house up above you on the hill, but turn around to the east and you are looking over the top of Walmart roof. The views of the Cathedral and also UNMC are impressive. Its going to be a nice addition to the area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This was approved by the planning board yesterday and apparently only 1 person stood up in opposition. Apparently she also owned an apartment building in the area...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

7.150M in TIF requested for "the new construction of five, four-story multi-family structures consisting of 283 market-rate apartments units: studios, one- and two-bedrooms, apartment amenities, and approximately 451 parking spaces"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Permits submitted today.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Duke of Omaha apartments will form new eastern border for Dundee neighborhood

http://www.omaha.com/money/duke-of-omah ... c7092.html
Caye declined to talk about cost, but city documents describe the Duke as a nearly $44 million project comprising five four-story buildings, about 450 parking spaces and amenities including a pool, a fitness center, a dog park, a bike-repair shop, electric vehicle charging stations and a concierge service.

In an effort to blend in with historic Dundee, Caye added touches including Dundee-style street lamps, planters and trees.
Rendering in the article, looks a lot better than the first one.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:Rendering in the article, looks a lot better than the first one.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (167 KiB) Viewed 6888 times
arcane
New to the Neighborhood

Post by arcane »

That rendering is atrocious. Perspective is all out of whack and that car in the foreground, eesh. I guess you get what you pay for.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

A lot of demo going on at the site today.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

What is there to demo?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nativeomahan wrote:What is there to demo?
The buildings that were part of the concrete operation. They are all gone now.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They are going to town on this which given the obligatory dirt lot period construction should start in a year or two.
15-17, 26, 32
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

Hmm, here's a neat little view...

And if I point my camera down a little...

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for the photos. That view may come in handy for updates on the hotel at Dodge and Saddlecreek as well :;):
nebraska
Library Board

Post by nebraska »

skinzfan23 wrote:Thanks for the photos. That view may come in handy for updates on the hotel at Dodge and Saddlecreek as well :;):
I would like to get up there often, but as people move into their offices in the Cancer Center, it'll be less likely each day. There's quite a bit of restricted space in that building.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Taco wrote:
Brad wrote:
Taco wrote:
49th and Underwood:
Forgot about that one. Almost a textbook bleh version of Le Corbusier urbanism.
Don't forget the six story building south of 49th and Dodge and the future five floor building across the street from it. Also there are a multitude of five and four story buildings all over the Dundee Happy Hallow hood.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks to be a surcharge on site.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Elevator shafts are going up.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The elevator shaft nearest Dodge looks to be completely up, going to be very visible from Saddle Creek.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Finishing up the top floor of this. Along with hotel on Saddlecreek this will really help increase the density in this area.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Quick update:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.dukeomaha.com/

Website says coming fall of 2018. I imagine they are phasing it in by building.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Need to get a picture looking at it from the east.. it's really beginning to look pretty impressive over Saddlecreek. I like the old brick, wasn't expecting that.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Stargazer wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:30 am Need to get a picture looking at it from the east.. it's really beginning to look pretty impressive over Saddlecreek. I like the old brick, wasn't expecting that.
It is looking really good! Looks like really high quality exterior materials are being used.
DundeeDude
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DundeeDude »

I live really close to this. I'll try to posts some progress pics over the next few months.

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Quick update:
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Rental rates ... just fyi
Type Rate sq.ft.
0x1 $1,060 635
0x1 $960 550

1x1 $1,140 726
1x1 $1,310 844

2x2 $1,810 1,100
2x2 $1,570 988
2x2 $1,560 988
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

I don't care for some of the design elements of this project.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.