High rise housing downtown

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Re: High rise housing downtown

Post by mistergutierrez »

I live downtown, in The Highline, with my wife and 2 kids and I prefer living here because I am within a walking distance from the places where we spend most of our time: their elementary school, the Omaha Children´s Museum, the Rose Theatre and the Joslyn Museum...
I also have several coffee shops around (the one in the Anderson Building and the other next to the bike shop) and restaurants such as Block 16 or the International Cafe. We often walk down to the Old Market for the farmer´s market and spend the morning there in Ted and Wally or the Hollywood Candy. There are weekends when we are barely at home (something that I enjoy a lot) and I do not drive at all.
I work in the Benson Area, so I get the groceries on the way back from my job, although I would like to have some store closer than Patrick´s. I always though the retail space in the Wire would make a decent neighborhood grocery.
It´s true that is more expensive, I pay $1100 for a 2 bedroom apartment and parking spot. But in the other side we only have one car and lately we are spending less that $60 per month in gas; so I guess I save in car payments, insurance, maintenance, gas... If my wife needs the car I just take the bus, the #4 go straight to my workplace.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Athomsfere wrote:the cons to me: People I work with seem terrified of DT. Like it is a long drive into a foreign nation.
I'm kind of surprised this is still an issue with all the redevelopment downtown and midtown have seen.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Athomsfere wrote:the cons to me: People I work with seem terrified of DT. Like it is a long drive into a foreign nation.
I'm kind of surprised this is still an issue with all the redevelopment downtown and midtown have seen.
Agreed, I think the main thing is a lot of people just rarely go. Once we get there, everyone seems to like it enough. But then the next time I want to go downtown I hear things like "Uh, what about parking. Do we have to walk"...

smh, YES! But this kills me too.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Some of the people I know who avoid downtown do so because they are afraid of the one way streets. It only takes going down the wrong direction once and you'll never do it again. I should know :)
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Oh yes, I have heard that excuse more than once! "It's too confusing, I get lost with all the one way streets".

:sly:

Really, further proof we need to tighten regulations on who gets a license and build out our mass transit, imo :mrgreen:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Athomsfere wrote:Oh yes, I have heard that excuse more than once! "It's too confusing, I get lost with all the one way streets".

:sly:

Really, further proof we need to tighten regulations on who gets a license and build out our mass transit, imo :mrgreen:
The first time I drove downtown when I was 16, I made a left turn from the middle lane of a one way street and nearly caused an accident with someone in the adjacent lane in my blindspot. I was terrified of driving downtown after that.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride