Southside Terrace (29th & T Street)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Southside Terrace (29th & T Street)

Post by Coyote »

Plan in the works to tear down Southside Terrace, redevelop site
Christopher Burbach / World-Herald staff writer wrote: Omaha Housing Authority leaders want to tear down the sprawling Southside Terrace public housing apartments and redevelop the site, probably with other types of housing and supportive services
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Southside Terrace

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, I didn't realize how many buildings were in the project. It says that there are 51 buildings and approx 1,300 people that live there.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Wow, I didn't realize how many buildings were in the project. It says that there are 51 buildings and approx 1,300 people that live there.
I new there was a decent amount, but never counted them up... That's a lot more than I would have guessed too.

I just counted up the old north o projects from back in the day there were 75 buildings between Parker and Lake, 29th and 33rd.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

This is being seriously considered for redevelopment again. The City of Omaha was awarded another federal grant under the HUD Choice Neighborhoods initiative. The money would help fund creating a comprehensive plan to redevelop the site akin to the Spencer Homes project. Here is the announcement released by HUD about the recipients of the most recent grants.

https://www.hud.gov/sites/dfiles/PA/doc ... mFinal.pdf
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Here's another update on this redevelopment project. Community leaders pushing for redevelopment had a public activity to be able to introduce the project and answer questions. WOWT has been following the story closely, but this is one of a few stories they have run on it. Another report made comparisons to the 75 North project. I hope they have similar success in South O.

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/South ... 10271.html
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Public gets look at potential redevelopment of Southside Terrace
Christopher Burbach
The more than 1,200 residents of Southside Terrace and their South Omaha neighbors are getting their first look at a draft concept for redeveloping Southside, Omaha’s oldest and largest public housing complex.

The site plan is part of a federally funded process being conducted by the City of Omaha, the Omaha Housing Authority and Canopy South, a nonprofit organization created to help redevelop Southside and the Indian Hill neighborhood.

It will cost more than $100 million to tear down the existing 51 apartment buildings and create a new housing development. The partners intend to apply for up to $35 million in federal funding to help with the cost, and they are gathering public feedback about the concept as part of the planning and application process for a federal grant.

Any actual construction of housing remains about two years away at least. Redeveloping Southside would likely stretch for years longer. And to be sure, demolishing Southside has been talked about since at least 2014, and the partners do not yet have the money in hand.
The new plan will mimic the Highlander's mixed income structure. It looks like it would add 170 units with added capacity of 400-500 more people.

Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

I am happy they are maintaining the grid and turning it into mixed-income housing. I guess I question if there will be a similar desire for the market-rate housing as at highlander? Though these are limited renderings I guess the proposal seems less imaginative compared to highlander? This plan (although potentially incomplete) doesn't really do much in terms of utilizing the green space. Labeling it "storm water" makes me think it is is viewed as a utility rather than a place to be used.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Yeah I don't know if I'm really thrilled at this plan. The are currently houses more than 1,200 people in public, affordable housing while the new one will aim to house about 1,700, 1/3 of which will be affordable and 1/3 of which will be "moderate income" and 1/3 market rate. I feel like it doesn't go far enough to address the shortage of affordable housing we have everywhere, and could even be a net loss of affordable housing. We'll see how it evolves and what the designs turn into but I'm skeptical for the moment.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Garrett wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 pm Yeah I don't know if I'm really thrilled at this plan. The are currently houses more than 1,200 people in public, affordable housing while the new one will aim to house about 1,700, 1/3 of which will be affordable and 1/3 of which will be "moderate income" and 1/3 market rate. I feel like it doesn't go far enough to address the shortage of affordable housing we have everywhere, and could even be a net loss of affordable housing. We'll see how it evolves and what the designs turn into but I'm skeptical for the moment.
I’m in agreement with you in this. I’d like the plan if it specified about 60% affordable income dwelling and 40% as “moderate”..

I believe you can have a successful, improved housing stock plan in this area, without it including “market rate”, more expensive housing..

We’ll see how this shakes out for sure…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:28 pm
Garrett wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 pm Yeah I don't know if I'm really thrilled at this plan. The are currently houses more than 1,200 people in public, affordable housing while the new one will aim to house about 1,700, 1/3 of which will be affordable and 1/3 of which will be "moderate income" and 1/3 market rate. I feel like it doesn't go far enough to address the shortage of affordable housing we have everywhere, and could even be a net loss of affordable housing. We'll see how it evolves and what the designs turn into but I'm skeptical for the moment.
I’m in agreement with you in this. I’d like the plan if it specified about 60% affordable income dwelling and 40% as “moderate”..

I believe you can have a successful, improved housing stock plan in this area, without it including “market rate”, more expensive housing..

Ciao..LiO…Peace
I get the knee jerk reaction to the breakdowns. After thinking about this more, here are my thoughts, particularly on the moderate income units. To start, I assume low income is 50%,and moderate is between 50%-80% of the area median income. Let's say only low income people can live in Southside terrace currently. As such, once they make more than 50% of the median area income, they have to move out of that community. Based on some numbers I have seen, median family income is like $87k, so low income is no more than $43.5k and moderate no more than $69.6k. if you made it predominantly low income or all, as families become more prosperous, even moderately they lose rent controlled housing and any community they have at Southside. For instance, let's say a family moved their with one working parent. I had renters who worked at the meat packing plant. The wife had been there for less than a year and made $16/hour or $32k a year. That one parent working family would be able to qualify as low income. However, if the second parent started working, let's say at the packing plant for $16/hr. they would no longer qualify as low income. However, having a moderate income tier allows for this hypothetical family to continue to live there. I think the theory might be that keeping families there longer is a good thing while allowing them to look for higher wages or more work without worry of being kicked out. This is based on several assumptions, but these are just some of my thoughts.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

ita wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:04 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:28 pm

Ciao..LiO…Peace
I get the knee jerk reaction to the breakdowns. After thinking about this more, here are my thoughts, particularly on the moderate income units. To start, I assume low income is 50%,and moderate is between 50%-80% of the area median income. Let's say only low income people can live in Southside terrace currently. As such, once they make more than 50% of the median area income, they have to move out of that community. Based on some numbers I have seen, median family income is like $87k, so low income is no more than $43.5k and moderate no more than $69.6k. if you made it predominantly low income or all, as families become more prosperous, even moderately they lose rent controlled housing and any community they have at Southside. For instance, let's say a family moved their with one working parent. I had renters who worked at the meat packing plant. The wife had been there for less than a year and made $16/hour or $32k a year. That one parent working family would be able to qualify as low income. However, if the second parent started working, let's say at the packing plant for $16/hr. they would no longer qualify as low income. However, having a moderate income tier allows for this hypothetical family to continue to live there. I think the theory might be that keeping families there longer is a good thing while allowing them to look for higher wages or more work without worry of being kicked out. This is based on several assumptions, but these are just some of my thoughts.
In the end, I just like keeping it simple, within the spirit and intent..

Let’s improve the housing stock in this area with a thoughtful plan, which makes housing affordable for residents in the area..without driving people out because they’re unable to afford it..

An upgrade has been needed here and is long overdue…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

New housing drives down prices throughout the city. If you only allow "affordable" housing, nothing gets built and we all lose.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

PWL73316 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:37 am New housing drives down prices throughout the city. If you only allow "affordable" housing, nothing gets built and we all lose.
I get what you’re saying..

But that’s not necessarily true; and I don’t believe it applies here..Especially if there is an improved housing stock plan in the area that residents can afford- so they’re not driven out of the area. That’s where we lose too. Especially in this particular area of South Omaha that’s been begging for improvements for at least the last 25 years.. Maybe 35…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

PWL73316 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:37 am New housing drives down prices throughout the city. If you only allow "affordable" housing, nothing gets built and we all lose.
But this is leading to a net loss of affordable housing. We really don’t build much affordable housing to begin with, let alone public housing. I’m simply expressing healthy skepticism to a plan that looks like it could very well displace people.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Garrett wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:03 am
But this is leading to a net loss of affordable housing. We really don’t build much affordable housing to begin with, let alone public housing. I’m simply expressing healthy skepticism to a plan that looks like it could very well displace people.
I am in agreement with a few of the threads on this. Mostly, it sounds like maybe 500 more houses aren't enough? As much as we all love high density, maybe this is a time it really needs to be a little higher to offset everything.

Maybe keep some of the existing stock if it isn't too bad. Toss in a couple 5+1 buildings, but keep much of the vision.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

$50 million grant to help raze barracks-like Omaha public housing complex

https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2022/09/14 ... g-complex/
CINDY GONZALEZ, Nebraska Examiner wrote:OMAHA — A $50 million federal grant is to help launch what could be a $300 million makeover of the city’s largest public housing complex and South Omaha neighborhoods that surround it.

Partners involved in the overhaul — the City of Omaha, Omaha Housing Authority, Canopy South and Brinshore Development — have been awaiting word on the Choice Neighborhoods grant from the U.S. Housing and Urban Development.

(Courtesy of Canopy South)
The Nebraska Examiner learned that the office of U.S. Rep. Don Bacon, R-Neb., received notification Tuesday that Omaha was one of four public housing authorities in four states to receive part of $180 million.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Athomsfere wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:07 pm
Garrett wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:03 am
I am in agreement with a few of the threads on this. Mostly, it sounds like maybe 500 more houses aren't enough? As much as we all love high density, maybe this is a time it really needs to be a little higher to offset everything.

Maybe keep some of the existing stock if it isn't too bad. Toss in a couple 5+1 buildings, but keep much of the vision.
Per the article in the Nebraska Examiner,
Key elements, Garcia said, include construction of 760 new dwellings in the area that will be a mix of styles, from duplexes to larger apartment buildings.

About 360 of the units would be reserved for households with rents subsidized with Section 8 vouchers.

The rest would be “mixed-income” housing, which means that some neighbors would lease their new homes at subsidized rates and others would pay market rents.

The vision is to replace, one-for-one, the Southside units and to build even more housing targeted at higher income levels. That should result in more diversity of tenants and less concentration of poverty.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

With the price tag ballooning to $300 million, 760 units seems a bit underwhelming. The project encompasses about 30 acres. Comparing what's there with what developers are planning and you notice something; way more paved surfaces in the form of the grid and additional surface parking lots. Some roads seem needless. While I am for the grid, these blocks are smaller than downtown blocks and traffic flow is not as critical. I think they can do better with this project than what's there currently by actually closing up the grid and keeping the project as free as possible from through traffic. I know the guy heading this and will contact him about it. Anyone have additional thoughts?

Edit: I guess 760 units is good for Omaha. I went back to the Crossroads thread and saw that they are planning 400 units there on 40 acres (which I thought was OK at some time), so this project beats that by a mile (when you take into account how many families will live in Southside Terrace 2.0 versus Crossroads). My thought process and opinions on density are being skewed since looking into Canadian urban developments and their densities. I supposed there is a level of density some people are trying to avoid, particularly in low income housing projects, but I think when mixed income is the goal, there should not be as much concern. Additionally, issues they associated with density may be better solved with better resources, enforcement, education, maintenance, etc.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

ita wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:46 pm With the price tag ballooning to $300 million, 760 units seems a bit underwhelming. The project encompasses about 30 acres. Comparing what's there with what developers are planning and you notice something; way more paved surfaces in the form of the grid and additional surface parking lots. Some roads seem needless. While I am for the grid, these blocks are smaller than downtown blocks and traffic flow is not as critical. I think they can do better with this project than what's there currently by actually closing up the grid and keeping the project as free as possible from through traffic. I know the guy heading this and will contact him about it. Anyone have additional thoughts?

Edit: I guess 760 units is good for Omaha. I went back to the Crossroads thread and saw that they are planning 400 units there on 40 acres (which I thought was OK at some time), so this project beats that by a mile (when you take into account how many families will live in Southside Terrace 2.0 versus Crossroads). My thought process and opinions on density are being skewed since looking into Canadian urban developments and their densities. I supposed there is a level of density some people are trying to avoid, particularly in low income housing projects, but I think when mixed income is the goal, there should not be as much concern. Additionally, issues they associated with density may be better solved with better resources, enforcement, education, maintenance, etc.
I think adding density is a good thing, if possible for the funding there at least.

One though with the grid in place... Any possibilities on zoning for some mixed use or at least small commercial area? Seems like a great goal would be a community center / civic building / corner store where teenagers in the area could work, and the residents could walk or bike to. Otherwise, I think it's a one mile walk to get any basic necessities.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Athomsfere wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:50 pm I think adding density is a good thing, if possible for the funding there at least.

One though with the grid in place... Any possibilities on zoning for some mixed use or at least small commercial area? Seems like a great goal would be a community center / civic building / corner store where teenagers in the area could work, and the residents could walk or bike to. Otherwise, I think it's a one mile walk to get any basic necessities.
Cesar got back to me quick and shared this link:

https://sochoice.org/transformation-plan/

Each of the different plans have quite a lot of information. It's very comprehensive, so I haven't gone through it all.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$50 million grant will help launch massive redevelopment in South Omaha

The Southside Terrace Garden Apartments will be redeveloped into a mixed-use housing complex for mixed-income residents.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

It feels like they are doing a great job getting feedback from those most involved too!
ita wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:41 pm
Athomsfere wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:50 pm I think adding density is a good thing, if possible for the funding there at least.

Cesar got back to me quick and shared this link:

https://sochoice.org/transformation-plan/

Each of the different plans have quite a lot of information. It's very comprehensive, so I haven't gone through it all.
I was reading that last night. It feels like my questions have been considered at least. I didn't see that there are plans for anything to address the lack of grocers or "big box" stores there. I don't know of any off the shelf solutions to that though. Maybe Omaha can get creative and build that missing space and organize some sort of South O Co-Op.
TransitOriented
Library Board

Post by TransitOriented »

ita wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:46 pm My thought process and opinions on density are being skewed since looking into Canadian urban developments and their densities.
Omaha developers have skewed your opinion. Omaha just doesn't like to think big and we are left with all these little developments that are built as cheaply as possible.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

TransitOriented wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:39 pm
ita wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:46 pm My thought process and opinions on density are being skewed since looking into Canadian urban developments and their densities.
Omaha developers have skewed your opinion. Omaha just doesn't like to think big and we are left with all these little developments that are built as cheaply as possible.
Not to diverge from the Southside Terrace too much here, but I would counter that the GLM/HOA Park/Luminarium, Joslyn Museum, streetcar, new library (the implementation, not the debate over location) are recent examples of Omaha breaking through its normal M.O.. Not to say there haven't been plenty of past let-downs, but these are steps in the right direction that hopefully turn a corner toward a seat at the big boy table.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OHA receives federal money to improve housing
The Southside Terrace Apartments located near 30th and T Streets will be redeveloped as promised.

After years of talk and promises, change is finally on the way to a troubled Omaha Housing Authority apartment development. The Southside Terrace Apartments located near 30th and T Streets will be redeveloped as promised and federal officials brought a big check to help pay for the transformation. “This is big news you know $50 million, not $5 million not $10 million not even $20 or $25 million, $50 million it is one of the four grants that HUD is providing communities across the country,” said Adrianne Todman. HUD Deputy Secretary Adrianne Todman brought hope and a big check to Omaha to start the transformation of South Omaha’s Southside Terrace Apartment complex.

Southside Terrace Apartments is the last of OHA’s large housing developments. The complex is huge with 358 units covering almost 10 city blocks. There is a history here, a lot of it highlighted by crime and violence. Some of the families have lived here for generations they say it’s time for things to change. “My moms been living here for about 15 plus years and also she’s very concerned about the neighborhood, she feels like it’s not a place she wants my kids to grow up in because she saw us grow up in this neighborhood and it’s not safe at all its not secured,” said Hawa Hassan. There are plans to make changes in the Southside Terrace homes. Knocking down the government barracks-style buildings and replacing them with a mix of multi-family apartment units and townhomes.

‘The plan does call for anywhere between 800 to 1,100 new units and that will evolve over time over the next six years of the grant and our intention is to work with the partners and have a mixed-income approach,” said Joanie Poore, CEO of Omaha Housing Authority. The old brick buildings will be demolished and replaced in phases. Current residents can choose to be permanently relocated or return to the area once the redevelopment is complete. OHA officials say they will make sure the changes also help to improve the surrounding Indian Hills neighborhood. Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert says this is an opportunity to create lasting change. “Our transformation plan is a commitment to affordable housing education and accessible services what could be more important than quality, safe housing services to help people succeed and a supportive neighborhood environment for families,” said Stothert.

Local and federal officials gather at the Southside Terrace Apartments to celebrate, federal officials finally making good on a promise made to residents here years ago. “I realized I’m about to go to a community that probably given my experience in public housing that probably has been promised over and over and over again that change will come,” Todman. “It says a lot about Omaha and our outstanding partners that we are a two-time recipient of choice neighborhoods implementation grants and I think that’s something to celebrate,” said Stothert. Omaha has experience in this type of work. The Seventy-Five North highlander development is a mixed-income community in North Omaha that takes the place of a once sprawling crime-plagued OHA housing development. People who live in Southside Terrace also hope their future here will look better than their past. “What I want them to try to make happen in the future is the safety. There’s too many shootings out here, too much violence, the kids are seeing things they should not be seeing at a young age because I witnessed things at a young age I shouldn’t have witnessed,” said Hassan. Officials say the $50 million grant is, in addition, to close to $200 million that comes from local investments and contributions. OHA officials believe it will cost more than $350 million to complete the project, the grant calls for the project to be done in six years.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

I don't want to divert too much away from this development. Developers are working hard to recreate this neighborhood into something that will meet the needs of this area. I hope things are going smoothly especially since they have secure additional federal funding.

I know you all are tired of me bringing up our neighbors to the North, but I happened to come across this interesting mixed income development in Vancouver, BC, and it has similar characteristics as Southside Terrace. It is near bus and light rail stops, but is in an older suburban context. There is a master redevelopment plan for a 25 acre healthcare campus called Pearson Dogwood. The most recent iterationiteration of this plan calls for an astounding 3,000 units, including 500+ under market rate rentals, and projected cost of development somewhere between $5-10 billion. Interestingly, there will be 4500 parking spaces and 6000 bike space within the development. While it is still pie in the sky plan, the initial phase is already completed.

Cambie Gardens is a two tower and podium market rate component of Phase 1. From what I can tell, they are like 26 and 29 stories totally about 300 units. Market rate units are mostly called for already. In addition, 8-9 story podiums include the under market rate/affordable rental units, including homeless and transition units. In total, it's about 138 affordable units, including 1-3 bedroom apartments. In total, that's about 440 units. It will always amaze me how dense Canadian developers build, even with a mixed income project like this.

For comparison, Southside Terrace, which is a little over 30 acres, will house 525 units, with 1/3 going to section 8, 1/3 other affordable housing, and the last 1/3 to market rate. Again I am not trying to dog Southside Terrace. It does have higher ratios of affordable housing to market rate housing and seeks to not only have housing, but programming and services to help meet the needs of the neighborhood. I also know they are working within the limitations of their investors, federal regulations and local regulations on funding affordable housing, in addition to building codes and zoning. Also, I guess neighbors wouldn't want a high rise tower in their neighborhood. But something like Cambie Gardens in Vancouver, with a 1:3 ratio of affordable units to market rate units in the urban core with that kind of massing would be awesome.
Brad
City Council

Re: Southside Terrace (29th & T Street)

Post by Brad »

Phase one on the August planning board agenda:
https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... ust/10.pdf
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

'Game changer': Southside Terrace redevelopment starts with new apartment building

City officials are preparing to transform one of the oldest housing projects in the country.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

looks big
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Housing Authority relocating hundreds for Southside Terrace transformation

Demolition will take down two Southside Terrace buildings in January, marking the start of construction.I
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Residents concerned for timeliness of a major transformation plan in South Omaha

Residents of the Southside Terrace Apartments are packing up and moving out to make space for a new building. Some residents told 3 News Now's Maria Osnaya, this city-wide effort to improve the quality of homes is frustrating. A project leader said phase one of seven will take about 16 months. In the meantime, residents are relocating to properties provided by the Omaha Housing Authority.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Looks like phase 1 of this project. 115 units total in a 3-4 story apartment buildings and townhome style units, ranging from 1-6 bedrooms.

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... All_v3.pdf