St. Patrick's Church going apartments

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

St. Patrick's Church going apartments

Post by Coyote »

Apartment complex going up on site of old Omaha church
KETV wrote:After the church, rectory and gym are gone, only a three-story brick schoolhouse will remain on the 2-acre site. They'll be replaced by about 50 apartment units in two new structures, with one connected to the school building.
MTO
City Council

Re: St. Patrick's Church going apartments

Post by MTO »

Where's that at?
15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

MTO wrote:Where's that at?
14th & Castelar

OWH also has an article about it: http://www.omaha.com/money/fresh-start- ... df914.html
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

It is a good looking building! I'm not sure how unique it really is (from the outside it looks like a lot of other churches).

On the new apartments, that doesn't sound interesting. Apartments without a demographic yet...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Athomsfere wrote:It is a good looking building! I'm not sure how unique it really is (from the outside it looks like a lot of other churches).

On the new apartments, that doesn't sound interesting. Apartments without a demographic yet...
Market rate to me means young couples or families and units that will more rapidly turn into section 8 units.
ILexpat
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ILexpat »

Athomsfere wrote:It is a good looking building! I'm not sure how unique it really is (from the outside it looks like a lot of other churches).

Unfortunately, I think this will be a hugely missed opportunity. I would have hoped for something unique (like this church to apartment renovation in Boston - below). Sounds like we're going to get another boxy, featureless apartment complex. I bet it will come with a jazzy name though :roll: .

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

ILexpat wrote:

Unfortunately, I think this will be a hugely missed opportunity. I would have hoped for something unique (like this church to apartment renovation in Boston - below). Sounds like we're going to get another boxy, featureless apartment complex. I bet it will come with a jazzy name though :roll: .

If you don't like it then you should've developed the site.
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

That may be Unique but unique is not always good. I do not like the looks of that at all.

ILexpat wrote:

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

FWIW, I think that looks awesome.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I am in the awesome camp as well. But to each his own. It is what makes the world go round. Awesome or not though, the Boston renovation has to be several times more expensive. I mean I would like to drive a Ferrari but . . . the budget says I am still driving a 12 year old Cavalier. It has the sport package though. Now there is an oxymoron: Cavalier with Sport Package.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

That glass box looks horrible
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guy4omaha wrote: there is an oxymoron: Cavalier with Sport Package.
It came with cool decals? :P
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I appreciate what they were trying to do, but I don't think they executed the concept well. They should have incorporated more elements of the church into the addition instead of making it a straight-up glass cube.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I think it looks awesome. It's unconventional which is refreshing in my opinion.
ShaneofCal
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ShaneofCal »

MTO wrote:
ILexpat wrote:

If you don't like it then you should've developed the site.
He's entitled to an opinion, regardless of whether or not he is the developer of the site. This is after all a public forum full of them.

I agree with ILexpat and the others--this is absolutely a missed opportunity. Visually, St. Patrick's is a great structure. And incorporating the church (and perhaps the other structures, to some degree) would be both a sustainable use of materials and unique for the Omaha area.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

bigredmed wrote:

Market rate to me means young couples or families and units that will more rapidly turn into section 8 units.

The OWH article stated:
OWH wrote:Still unknown is the target audience. Woodling said possibilities include independent senior living and market-rate apartments that have been in demand in similar pockets not far from downtown.
On that glass cube church repurpose: I like the idea but I do feel the execution came a little short.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Coyote wrote:
guy4omaha wrote: there is an oxymoron: Cavalier with Sport Package.
It came with cool decals? :P
No darnit. Sorry to say those weren't in the budget either.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Athomsfere wrote:On that glass cube church repurpose: I like the idea but I do feel the execution came a little short.
Execution of what? The sketch? Or the idea?

Athomsfere wrote:On the new apartments, that doesn't sound interesting. Apartments without a demographic yet...
This whole area is starting to be redeveloped (13th St). I assume they need to build some new apartments to create a higher success rate for the redevelopment.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Athomsfere wrote:On that glass cube church repurpose: I like the idea but I do feel the execution came a little short.
Execution of what? The sketch? Or the idea?

Athomsfere wrote:On the new apartments, that doesn't sound interesting. Apartments without a demographic yet...
This whole area is starting to be redeveloped (13th St). I assume they need to build some new apartments to create a higher success rate for the redevelopment.
That sketch came up a little short. It still feels really rough or like the integration wasn't finished. It isn't ugly, but it needs more work IMO.

Also, isn't what the area really needs is some properties that can be bought by earners closer to under the mean earners bracket? Condos around $100k for example?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

St. Patrick Church to make way for housing for seniors, young mothers
Cindy Gonzales - Omaha World Herald wrote:Of the 50 total apartments to be built by Foundations Development, 15 will be for low-to-moderate-income families including graduates of Bethlehem House, which helps pregnant women in crisis.

That family wing is to be built at the site of the soon-to-be-demolished parish gym that is a neighbor to the existing 11-bedroom Bethlehem House (which years ago was the parish convent).

The 35 other apartments will be contained in a separate but nearby structure for independent senior citizens.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Tax credit application for this site says 38 total units, 30 affordable and 8 market rate. $4.7 million project requesting $287K in tax credits.
Foundations
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Foundations »

Awarded tax credits today.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Looks like the developer got their permits recently. Does anyone know what these will look like? I have a house nearby and am interested in how this will turn out.

The Record: Building permits, Sept. 13
OTHER PERMITS

RD Blair LLC, 1404 Castelar St., $2,475,168.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

It looks like the 2nd building containing 15 units is still being considered as well.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Apartments for seniors, new moms to rise on former church grounds
Construction is to start in March at the 1.3-acre former St. Agnes tract, where a 130-year-old church, a school and priest rectory were demolished over a year ago.

When finished, the 23rd and Q Streets property is to have a new $6.3 million, four-story apartment structure containing 40 units dedicated to seniors.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

ita wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:09 am Apartments for seniors, new moms to rise on former church grounds
Construction is to start in March at the 1.3-acre former St. Agnes tract, where a 130-year-old church, a school and priest rectory were demolished over a year ago.

When finished, the 23rd and Q Streets property is to have a new $6.3 million, four-story apartment structure containing 40 units dedicated to seniors.
Having worked in this neighborhood before I moved I was wondering if anything was coming up in this spot.

The only problem for seniors living there is there isn’t a close by grocery store besides Jacobos
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

This is at 23rd and Q right? Not 14th & Castelar? If so, we're not talking about a nursing home. I know plenty of people 65+ and they love driving around, so I'm sure a grocery store will not be hard to find for that group. Family Fare on 24th, Supermercado on Vinton, Wal-Mart on Cornhusker, Family Fare on Grover, Wal-Mart on L, all a short drive away. And if worst come to worst, the Family Fare on 24th is along one of the best bus routes in Omaha.
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

Busguy2010 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:17 pm This is at 23rd and Q right? Not 14th & Castelar? If so, we're not talking about a nursing home. I know plenty of people 65+ and they love driving around, so I'm sure a grocery store will not be hard to find for that group. Family Fare on 24th, Supermercado on Vinton, Wal-Mart on Cornhusker, Family Fare on Grover, Wal-Mart on L, all a short drive away. And if worst come to worst, the Family Fare on 24th is along one of the best bus routes in Omaha.
Picture above is at 14th & Castelar.....used to attend the Ukrainian Church at 16th and Martha and would pass this site frequently. However the article talks about both sites.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

In Progress, Thank you Google.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I'll have to look for this project next weekend. I guess, I somehow missed it.