The Old Market - Clean It Up or Keep it Quaint?

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OMASKB
New to the Neighborhood

The Old Market - Clean It Up or Keep it Quaint?

Post by OMASKB »

Spent time last weekend in the Haymarket in Lincoln and was impressed by the vibe, cleanliness, and effort that has gone into creating an area that combines old and new. Frankly I'd like to see some sprucing up of the Old Market infrastructure (sidewalks, etc) and thought this would be a good forum for some healthy debate. It'll be interesting to see if the restoration of the former M's Pub/Nouvelle Eve building will help spread a such change.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Re: The Old Market - Clean It Up or Keep it Quaint?

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

OMASKB wrote:Spent time last weekend in the Haymarket in Lincoln and was impressed by the vibe, cleanliness, and effort that has gone into creating an area that combines old and new. Frankly I'd like to see some sprucing up of the Old Market infrastructure (sidewalks, etc) and thought this would be a good forum for some healthy debate. It'll be interesting to see if the restoration of the former M's Pub/Nouvelle Eve building will help spread a such change.
They should clean up the sidewalks but I'm not sure what you mean. Like do you want more modern looking buildings there? Because I'm not down for that. It's a very unique area because it makes you go back in time. Adding more modern looking buildings will ruin that. I'm not against new buildings there I just want them to fit the area. Case and point the Hyatt fits perfectly.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I know that it has been mentioned on here several times but it would be great to have the lot between 10th and 11th and Harney developed. That lot is similar if not, larger, than where the Hyatt Place was built.
OMASKB
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OMASKB »

Totally agree that anything new must fit the feel of the Old Market. I'd like to see some new sidewalks and at least a plan as competition heats up with other areas like the Blackstone District, Midtown Crossing, and Benson.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I feel like the Old Market has definitely lost its edge...it's certainly lost much of its inspiration. I would love to see more art. There used to be poetry slams in the coffee shops...what happened to those? It would be great to see something like the antiquarium return too.

All that being said, I like that all the locals are making money from the crowds. Hopefully it won't become so expensive that the rest of the creative people will have to leave.
NeGoofyfoot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeGoofyfoot »

Totally agree...the Old Market is long over due for a make over...the stretch from 12th to 13th is barren like a busted up bankrupt Suburban Strip Mall!! I can't believe that in one of Omaha's most notable tourist areas there is so much broken up uneven concrete, there are no trees, or flowers or planters or any form of nature along that strip! It feels very disjointed from the tree lined awning covered buildings that really make the OM so alluring from 10th to 12th.... It almost feels like the Market ends at 12th and Howard I think if they re-configured the sidewalks, added some awnings, brought the circulars street planters and planted some larger trees and plants, along 12th St from Harney to Jones or (Jackson St at the very least) and from 12th To 13th on Howard ...it would really make the market seem so much more lively and vibrant...
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

To be honest, there are very few places I actually will go to the Old Market to visit anymore. Why? Because the nightlife there has very limited appeal. Brickway Brewery is one of my favorites in town. Among the places I've been to and am okay going to again - Wicked Rabbit, Wilson and Washburn, Berry & Rye, Upstream, Hiro and any of the "upscale" restaurants. However, when you compare Old Market to Blackstone or Benson (places I frequent regularly), it's not a comparison. Benson and Blackstone have bars that appeal to people who have moderate amounts of disposable income. The Old Market is full of "bro" or "college" bars - Sorry if some of these have since been closed since I have been to any of them... Stadium Club, JD Tuckers, (arguably) Mr. Toads, The Dubliner, Parliament, Bar 415, O'Connors, and Whiskey Tango - I could even throw in Roja on select nights. Other parts of town have proven that you can have a "bar scene" that isn't serving a $4 64oz Bud Light as their special. If you get a few more "mid-scale" bars in the old market to serve people who are out of college and have disposable income, more people will find it as a destination. Also, I realize this comment only applies to me, but it's a factor with people my age and older.
guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

NeGoofyfoot wrote:Totally agree...the Old Market is long over due for a make over...the stretch from 12th to 13th is barren like a busted up bankrupt Suburban Strip Mall!! I can't believe that in one of Omaha's most notable tourist areas there is so much broken up uneven concrete, there are no trees, or flowers or planters or any form of nature along that strip! It feels very disjointed from the tree lined awning covered buildings that really make the OM so alluring from 10th to 12th.... It almost feels like the Market ends at 12th and Howard I think if they re-configured the sidewalks, added some awnings, brought the circulars street planters and planted some larger trees and plants, along 12th St from Harney to Jones or (Jackson St at the very least) and from 12th To 13th on Howard ...it would really make the market seem so much more lively and vibrant...
The re-done parts of 16th Street is what they should be striving for.