HDR Aksarben Office

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

buildomaha wrote:
GetUrban wrote:It's funny how people on this site seem to get more excited about cranes than the permanent buildings themselves.
Completely accurate, I couldn't care less about a tower cran...
Agreed. It's an eyesore to me.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:
GetUrban wrote:It's funny how people on this site seem to get more excited about cranes than the permanent buildings themselves.
I don't care about the crane more than the building. To me its one of the milestones on major projects.
This- ^^^^^^^^

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Starting to assemble the aforementioned tower crane that everyone loves so much:

mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Busguy2010 wrote:
ryan311 wrote:
OmahaOmaha wrote:It looks like they took a 1960's design, but to try to make it look different, they took a wedge out of the bottom corner. I'm not impressed.
Completely agree with this opinion. Not impressed.
Don't take this the wrong way, but what is a good design and what would you expect here, specifically from HDR? Just asking because there has been mostly complaints about our architecture lately and I'm trying to understand what's so wrong with it.
I would expect an architectural firm's headquarters building be an architectural masterpiece, not something that has been done before. Plus, I also know for a fact, that the building itself does not contain enough square feet to contain ALL of HDR's current Employees located in Omaha. HDR has shown that it cannot build a building that contains enough space to contain ALL of its employees. Yes, yes, I know, they do their "studies" as they did with their current Green Glass Building, but the day they cut the ribbon, it was too small, plus not very energy efficient, especially in the glass stairwells, where they needed to add heaters to the first floor to keep the first couple of floors warm, but go to the top of the stair well and you're smoldering hot. If you are a current employee, you know EXACTLY what I mean.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mcarch wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:
ryan311 wrote:
OmahaOmaha wrote:It looks like they took a 1960's design, but to try to make it look different, they took a wedge out of the bottom corner. I'm not impressed.
Don't take this the wrong way, but what is a good design and what would you expect here, specifically from HDR? Just asking because there has been mostly complaints about our architecture lately and I'm trying to understand what's so wrong with it.
I would expect an architectural firm's headquarters building be an architectural masterpiece
What is an architectural masterpiece? What are some examples of buildings they've designed that are better than their own?

Again I don't want to come off as a buttwipe, I'm trying to gain some perspective about something I know very little.

One thing I do like about it is the clipped corners. I can imagine they complicate "things" quite a bit more than most people would realize. I like how I'll be able to stand under them and look up to see just building. As it's going up, I'm having an ever harder time seeing what was initially and what continues to be wrong with it.

One thing I know puts me in the minority is that I borderline love the design of the TD Ameritrade building and that is another of the buildings that took a ton of flack on here. Just to me there's not really such a thing as a "bad" design when we're talking purely about the looks of a building. Design is subjective and every design is only perfect to the person who dreamed it up at the instant it is put onto paper. As a woodworker, I've designed many pieces where I've even gotten halfway through building a piece and thought "maybe it would look better if I did this, or that" But then again, my original design is what I liked at the time and that was good enough. I'm looking at one of my finished pieces right now and I was considering cutting a crazy "out there" design in it to make it totally unique. But then It would probably be harder to find a customer, so I just went with a traditional tried and true cut. It's more conservative, but I know it will sell. So in the end it is still a "good" design.

It's just to me it's very hard to identify a "perfect" design since it is so subjective. As long as the functional objective is met, it is up to only the designer to determine what looks good. Hence all the quotation marks in my post.

I'm still trying to figure it out.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Busguy2010 wrote:
mcarch wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:
ryan311 wrote:
I would expect an architectural firm's headquarters building be an architectural masterpiece
What is an architectural masterpiece? What are some examples of buildings they've designed that are better than their own?

Again I don't want to come off as a buttwipe, I'm trying to gain some perspective about something I know very little.

One thing I do like about it is the clipped corners. I can imagine they complicate "things" quite a bit more than most people would realize. I like how I'll be able to stand under them and look up to see just building. As it's going up, I'm having an ever harder time seeing what was initially and what continues to be wrong with it.

One thing I know puts me in the minority is that I borderline love the design of the TD Ameritrade building and that is another of the buildings that took a ton of flack on here. Just to me there's not really such a thing as a "bad" design when we're talking purely about the looks of a building. Design is subjective and every design is only perfect to the person who dreamed it up at the instant it is put onto paper. As a woodworker, I've designed many pieces where I've even gotten halfway through building a piece and thought "maybe it would look better if I did this, or that" But then again, my original design is what I liked at the time and that was good enough. I'm looking at one of my finished pieces right now and I was considering cutting a crazy "out there" design in it to make it totally unique. But then It would probably be harder to find a customer, so I just went with a traditional tried and true cut. It's more conservative, but I know it will sell. So in the end it is still a "good" design.

It's just to me it's very hard to identify a "perfect" design since it is so subjective. As long as the functional objective is met, it is up to only the designer to determine what looks good. Hence all the quotation marks in my post.

See I 100% disagree with you. I think being conservative in design is how you blend in with the crowd and don't get any recognition. And that is not just with architecture but anything in life. If you're going to be cookie cutter and average you'll have average results and everything will be "Okay". To succeed, you must think outside the box and bring something new to the table. Not saying its completely essential for HDR right now (even if I would like them to do something exciting as a company with experience in architecture) but it would be a lot better overall if they could've brought something more than a typical glass box with some cuts in the side. And yes those little cuts make things more difficult, so why waste time doing something as boring as that when it could've been dedicated to something much more interesting.
#gohawks
mgoett
Home Owners Association

Post by mgoett »

It was mentioned in the paper that HDR still has plans for another building. Hopefully that other building comes to fruition and complements the building currently being built.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

buildomaha wrote:it could've been dedicated to something much more interesting.
What is that something? That's what I'm trying to understand.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Add me to the list of people that like the design. Really cool idea, IMO.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Honestly, I like this one more than what was proposed downtown. I even showed it to my boyfriend in Boston and he really liked it. Assuming that they still keep with some kind of retail on the bottom (or am I making that up), it'll be even better. I like designs that modify simple shapes, like having the clipped corners, or the popped out parts around the top and bottom. I think what really turned me off the downtown option was the north side of the building and the gigantic parking facility that rose up nearly half of the building.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.17 KiB) Viewed 6872 times
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:
image.jpeg
Ta Da! Everyone happy now?

What a skimpy tower crane! j/k :lol:
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

RNcyanide wrote:I think what really turned me off the downtown option was the north side of the building and the gigantic parking facility that rose up nearly half of the building.
Because that design sucked too. It seems Omaha doesn't know how to hide the parking garages in 1.either the CENTER of the block or have some sort of retail on the first floor. Des Moines is getting a residential tower with parking on the bottom floors with retail and the tower sitting above.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

GetUrban wrote:
What a skimpy tower crane! j/k :lol:

Agreed. The tower crane in Des Moines is taller and has more girth than the one in Omaha.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MadMartin8 wrote:The tower crane in Des Moines is taller and has more girth than the one in Omaha.
That's what she said :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

mcarch wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:I think what really turned me off the downtown option was the north side of the building and the gigantic parking facility that rose up nearly half of the building.
Because that design sucked too. It seems Omaha doesn't know how to hide the parking garages in 1.either the CENTER of the block or have some sort of retail on the first floor. Des Moines is getting a residential tower with parking on the bottom floors with retail and the tower sitting above.
I’m afraid to ask but how tall will that be?
15-17, 26, 32
Chungus
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Chungus »

mcarch wrote:
Omaha doesn't know how to park developments at urban ratios, so you end up with large garages that are designed to suburban requirements, and are unable to be hidden elegantly. Some quality transit would be nice right about now, maybe something like a streetcar. :;):
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Chungus wrote:
mcarch wrote:
Omaha doesn't know how to park developments at urban ratios, so you end up with large garages that are designed to suburban requirements, and are unable to be hidden elegantly. Some quality transit would be nice right about now, maybe something like a streetcar. :;):
Here here! ! And welcome to the forum :)
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Fifth floor steel going up today.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

mgoett wrote:It was mentioned in the paper that HDR still has plans for another building. Hopefully that other building comes to fruition and complements the building currently being built.
Here's a photo from that article showing what appears to be a mirror image or very similar to what they're building now, for the second building to the north....
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Busguy2010 wrote:
mcarch wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:
ryan311 wrote:

All designed by HDR. Go to their website www.HDRinc.com and look at their portfolio
Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan.JPG
Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan.JPG (53.76 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
1 Denison.jpg
1 Denison.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
Chris O'Brien Lifehouse.jpg
Chris O'Brien Lifehouse.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Update:

guest2017
Home Owners Association

Post by guest2017 »

mgoett wrote:It was mentioned in the paper that HDR still has plans for another building. Hopefully that other building comes to fruition and complements the building currently being built.
...In a long time. Most of their growth is not in Omaha - it took them 20 years to outgrow the green building, which would be substantially smaller than the expansion at the new site. Look for this "new building" in 3 decades.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

mcarch wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:
mcarch wrote:
Busguy2010 wrote:
ryan311 wrote:

All designed by HDR. Go to their website http://www.HDRinc.com and look at their portfolio
Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan.JPG
1 Denison.jpg
Chris O'Brien Lifehouse.jpg
Cool, thanks. After viewing their portfolio I have a better understanding of what you were hoping for. But I find after seeing all the others, I appreciate this design even more and can better identify its own character and distinguishing features... Just me I suppose.
mgoett
Home Owners Association

Post by mgoett »

Well it is all good in my opinion. Omaha is booming and another ten years Douglas county should be full. Maybe not north but prolly to the Platte. Awe heck prolly North too.
mgoett
Home Owners Association

Post by mgoett »

Daly seems to have a better portfolio. HDR is all about government grift imo
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Starting on the 7th and 8th floors:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

First glass in, on the 2nd floor east side of the building:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

First angled glass:

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Steel going up for the 9th and 10th floors. The mixture of midrises and low rises in the area looks really good.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A rainy day pic:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (137.85 KiB) Viewed 4154 times
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Wow, haven't seen it in a while... looking pretty massive.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (129.09 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (139.02 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Thanks for taking a picture from the E side. We have been trying to figure out what was being done there for the parking garage.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are a few photos I took, this one looks to be topped out:

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

mgoett wrote:Well it is all good in my opinion. Omaha is booming and another ten years Douglas county should be full. Maybe not north but prolly to the Platte. Awe heck prolly North too.
Umm. Not hardly. Douglas County won't run out of developable land during the lifetime of anyone on this forum.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

nativeomahan wrote:
mgoett wrote:Well it is all good in my opinion. Omaha is booming and another ten years Douglas county should be full. Maybe not north but prolly to the Platte. Awe heck prolly North too.
Umm. Not hardly. Douglas County won't run out of developable land during the lifetime of anyone on this forum.
The last MAPA number I saw was 30-40 years of land supply left in DC at the current pace.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
The last MAPA number I saw was 30-40 years of land supply left in DC at the current pace.
Does this number take into account what gets built in sarpy instead of Douglas?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Louie wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
Does this number take into account what gets built in sarpy instead of Douglas?
I'd hope so since MAPA covers Douglas, Sarpy and most of Pottawatomie.