HDR Aksarben Office

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mgoett
Home Owners Association

Re: HDR Aksarben Office

Post by mgoett »

OH nice to know. :D
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Louie wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
mgoett wrote:Well it is all good in my opinion. Omaha is booming and another ten years Douglas county should be full. Maybe not north but prolly to the Platte. Awe heck prolly North too.
Umm. Not hardly. Douglas County won't run out of developable land during the lifetime of anyone on this forum.
The last MAPA number I saw was 30-40 years of land supply left in DC at the current pace.
Does this number take into account what gets built in sarpy instead of Douglas?
It was at a presentation from Mapa officials that I saw and frankly I couldn't tell you where it was. The number was more alluding to absorption specifically in Douglas county. I would assume it was extrapolating a trend of acres absorbed per year then compared to the gross number of developable acres left. There was a Sarpy County number too but it was huge, maybe 80-100.

I'll see if I can find the slide show somewhere.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (148.34 KiB) Viewed 8068 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (214.14 KiB) Viewed 8068 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Just imagine this building downtown..and about 15 stories taller.. Sigh..

*height obsession noted* ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Tree and flag up on building!
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Coyote wrote:Tree and flag up on building!
Is this a thing for construction? What does it mean? I see it all the time!
#gohawks
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

buildomaha wrote:
Topping out tradition.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Fire Truck with lights going, fire captain SUV, MUD, and OPPD all by the north gate right now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

As posted above, building was topped out today. While I only live about mile from Aksarben, I really haven't photographed the progress much. With a 6 month old at home, I just don't have the time. It felt great to get out after work today and capture a few images before the sun set.

1. My favorite

2. Wider view from the above angle

3. Traditional Tree and Flag

4. Looking South

5. Looking North East
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

iamjacobm wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
Topping out tradition.
I was curious about the tree part of this. Wikipedia says "The practice of "topping out" a new building can be traced to the ancient Scandinavian religious rite of placing a tree atop a new building to appease the tree-dwelling spirits displaced in its construction.[2]"
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:Fire Truck with lights going, fire captain SUV, MUD, and OPPD all by the north gate right now.
What ever happened with this?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Brad wrote:Fire Truck with lights going, fire captain SUV, MUD, and OPPD all by the north gate right now.
Not sure. UNO Security showed up and OPPD was over talking to them. OPPD was also working on a transformer by FDR. Fire Truck was there the whole time I was taking all those photos.
FirebirdEngineer
Home Owners Association

Post by FirebirdEngineer »

Brad wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
Not sure. UNO Security showed up and OPPD was over talking to them. OPPD was also working on a transformer by FDR. Fire Truck was there the whole time I was taking all those photos.
I wonder if it had anything to do with the power outage that hit PKI around 11 that same day? Had a bunch of classmates that were working in one of the labs when the breaker flipped, wiping everything they'd been working on the past hour.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Great stuff Brad! I don't get to A/V hardly at all anymore, but was there a few weeks ago and this project dramatically changes the feel of the area. Feels really dense and almost cavernous.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Great stuff Brad! I don't get to A/V hardly at all anymore, but was there a few weeks ago and this project dramatically changes the feel of the area. Feels really dense and almost cavernous.
Thanks! Sure does. It will be interesting to see the view from center street / park when the building next to Pac Life goes up.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (173.94 KiB) Viewed 6995 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Did you move in to Pinhook?

Looks like they have made a lot of progress on the foundations to the east.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Did you move in to Pinhook?
I know people!
Weeg
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Weeg »

Hello, I work for Sotawall, and we are supplying the majority of the curtainwall frames for this building. I was responsible for laying out the sloped corner frames at the NorthWest and SouthEast corners, and today is a happy day for me as the installer sent a picture showing the top corner frame installed at the NorthWest corner. I have attached a couple of other pictures if anyone is interested.
Attachments
HDR1.JPG
HDR1.JPG (165.27 KiB) Viewed 6773 times
IMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG (209.44 KiB) Viewed 6773 times
IMG_1185.JPG
IMG_1185.JPG (165.94 KiB) Viewed 6773 times
Glasshole
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Glasshole »

Hey Weeg, I happen to work for the company installing your curtainwall. Sota is definitely the premiere curtainwall manufacturer in the world. We've been using you guys for years
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Weeg wrote:Hello, I work for Sotawall, and we are supplying the majority of the curtainwall frames for this building. I was responsible for laying out the sloped corner frames at the NorthWest and SouthEast corners, and today is a happy day for me as the installer sent a picture showing the top corner frame installed at the NorthWest corner. I have attached a couple of other pictures if anyone is interested.

Thanks for sharing!!!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

We just noticed this evening a video camera on the east side of the roof of the building that Dudley's is in. It is pointed towards the HDR building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

hatwate wrote:We just noticed this evening a video camera on the east side of the roof of the building that Dudley's is in. It is pointed towards the HDR building.
That has been three for a while... We can't find the feed...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (157.79 KiB) Viewed 6626 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (168.37 KiB) Viewed 6626 times
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Gotta say, the glasswork and framing around that glass (and just the building in general really) looks way better on the photos/real life than in the rendering.
No posts exist for this topic
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Rendering drawings rarely give an accurate depiction of what the final product will present like. Sunlight, shadowing, variations of surface texture (gloss, matte, smooth, rough) surrounding buildings, internal/external lighting, etc. all play a role that no drawings can reflect. I think this building looks great and fits the Aksarben complex wonderfully with its modern, straight lined looks. As for a rendering that looked MUCH BETTER than the finished building, just look at the Capital district Marriott.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MadMartin8 wrote:Gotta say, the glasswork and framing around that glass (and just the building in general really) looks way better on the photos/real life than in the rendering.
I agree, its looking great.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

MSizlack wrote:Rendering drawings rarely give an accurate depiction of what the final product will present like. Sunlight, shadowing, variations of surface texture (gloss, matte, smooth, rough) surrounding buildings, internal/external lighting, etc. all play a role that no drawings can reflect. I think this building looks great and fits the Aksarben complex wonderfully with its modern, straight lined looks. As for a rendering that looked MUCH BETTER than the finished building, just look at the Capital district Marriott.
I have to disagree to an extent. Many rendering programs do let you select all of those factors such as accurate settings for sunlight and shadowing based on date, time, location. They also let you select color temperature, texture, reflectivity, etc. for each material in the model. It's a matter of taking the time to tweak all of the settings to get the look you want, which may reflect the mood you want to convey or the part of the design you want to emphasize. In many rendering programs such as Enscape, you can set the "camera" focal length, exposure, light sources etc. Some of the high-end programs such as MODO are indistinguishable from real photographs. Not sure if any architecture firms are using MODO, which is more of a product design and animated movie-making tool. More than likely, HDR is using REVIT for the 3D model with a rendering plug-in such as Enscape, or some other plug-in.

It is also possible that some of the actual material selections used in the real building may have changed since the rendering was created.

The building is looking quite nice though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

I certainly don't know as much about rendering programs as you do, and certainly agree that there are some that do picture like quality. Being able to have seen some of the recent UNMC buildings renderings early in the design process and then seeing the final product, they are very accurate. My point which I failed to make is that the renderings are often "dolled up" to make the proposed project look it's very best (like the capital Marriott). The HDR renderings of their HQ were what I can only describe as flat or 2 dimensional appearing. They certainly dont do the actual building justice. Again, I think it's a good looking design.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

MSizlack wrote:I certainly don't know as much about rendering programs as you do, and certainly agree that there are some that do picture like quality. Being able to have seen some of the recent UNMC buildings renderings early in the design process and then seeing the final product, they are very accurate. My point which I failed to make is that the renderings are often "dolled up" to make the proposed project look it's very best (like the capital Marriott). The HDR renderings of their HQ were what I can only describe as flat or 2 dimensional appearing. They certainly dont do the actual building justice. Again, I think it's a good looking design.
Looking back at the renderings posted earlier in this thread, I have to agree with your assessment of their quality. They look flat and lack any reflections and are not very photo-realistic. Not sure what program they might have used. Maybe SketchUp, Rhino, or 3DS Max. SketchUp can be made to look very photo-realistic with the right plug-ins like Maxwell Render, V-Ray, Enscape, or Light-up, and taking the time to tweak the settings.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The late afternoon Sun reflex room is going to be brutal! The sidewalk in front of the Kiewit (formerly Gordman's) building lights up the sidewalk and right into Herbe Sainte.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:The late afternoon Sun reflex room is going to be brutal! The sidewalk in front of the Kiewit (formerly Gordman's) building lights up the sidewalk and right into Herbe Sainte.
I noticed that too. There were several people in the waiting area of the salon or one of those bays just to the north of Herbe and they were holding up their hands trying to block the reflection coming in on them. While this is new to these business, its no different than any other urban setting where certain times of the year you just have to lower the shades and deal with it for 10 min a day.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:The late afternoon Sun reflex room is going to be brutal! The sidewalk in front of the Kiewit (formerly Gordman's) building lights up the sidewalk and right into Herbe Sainte.
I noticed that too. There were several people in the waiting area of the salon or one of those bays just to the north of Herbe and they were holding up their hands trying to block the reflection coming in on them. While this is new to these business, its no different than any other urban setting where certain times of the year you just have to lower the shades and deal with it for 10 min a day.
Some buildings can obviously be worse than others with sun glare, this may be something HDR gets complaints about and will need to tweak things. The Shard in London had to place shades in windows due to cars literally melting.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

After the wind dies down the past few days they are hauling, 6th floor completed today.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (122.66 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.32 KiB) Viewed 5637 times
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow. How high can you pour concrete?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (79.73 KiB) Viewed 5345 times
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Wow. How high can you pour concrete?
Different style pump, but they pumped it all the way to the 40th floor of the First National Tower.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I’m looking back and this thing started rising in May, this has got to be the fastest construction I have ever seen.