Logan Building to go Indigo (18th and Dodge)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Logan Building to go Apartments (18th and Dodge)

Post by Mystikbrian »

A Street obstruction, what does that mean?
Is a piece of building falling on the street or does it mean they will obstruct the street during the work performed?

Barricades all around the building...I’m worried.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Someone on the Forgotten Omaha Facebook page mentioned a building permit had been taken out on the property. Can anyone confirm that?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Sale traces back to New Generation Construction out of Lincoln less than a month ago. Only permit out is for a street obstruction so far.

EDIT: They submitted the permit and the city issued it on the same day which I have never seen anywhere I have done work. Hope they aren't trying to sneak a demo through b/c NGC has done good restoration work in Lincoln.
The only permit is for Street Obstruction, but under description it says construction. I have to ask, construction of what, it doesn't say remodel. Only other info is the owner - 1802 ACQUISITION LLC (NGC)
Mystikbrian
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mystikbrian »

Construction of a crane to demo it?
Only asking cause it crossed my mind....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mystikbrian wrote:Construction of a crane to demo it?
Only asking cause it crossed my mind....
They obstruct streets all the time downtown to do remodels. They need room for equipment, dumpsters, etc.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Restoration Exchange just tweeted out that the plans are to renovate as well as add onto the building.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:Restoration Exchange just tweeted out that the plans are to renovate as well as add onto the building.
That is great news!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They have a crane up here, on the west side of the building. Can't tell what they are up to though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF request here in-front of the planning board.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

https://www.omaha.com/money/historic-lo ... 19b64.html
After 15 years of deterioration and thwarted plans for revival, a historic fixture on Omaha's most prominent corridor finally could see a $21 million resurrection.

Hotel rooms, condos, retailers and a so-called speakeasy bar would fill the century-old Logan building at 1802 Dodge St. if a Lincoln-based group called Logan Hospitality has its way.

Developer Mike Works said he and fellow investors were attracted to the Logan's storied past and prime location across from busy St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church and a block from both Central High School and the cleared Civic Auditorium site.
After 15 years of deterioration and thwarted plans for revival, a historic fixture on Omaha's most prominent corridor finally could see a $21 million resurrection.

Hotel rooms, condos, retailers and a so-called speakeasy bar would fill the century-old Logan building at 1802 Dodge St. if a Lincoln-based group called Logan Hospitality has its way.

Developer Mike Works said he and fellow investors were attracted to the Logan's storied past and prime location across from busy St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church and a block from both Central High School and the cleared Civic Auditorium site.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Bout dang time.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Awesome news for this long dilapidated building. I hope these new guys follow through. I think it is awesome for the area that they are planning to create a new mixed use space.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Logan Building to go Indigo (18th and Dodge)

Post by Coyote »

Logan is to become an Indigo Hotel.

Developers plan to transform downtown’s Logan Building into boutique hotel
Works and his team want to turn the building into a 90-room Indigo hotel, a boutique concept from the Holiday Inn brand. The building would also include condos, commercial space, a local restaurant concept and a hidden, speakeasy bar.
Indigo Hotels wrote:No two neighborhoods are alike. Neither are any two Hotel Indigo® properties. When you stay with us, you’re not just staying anywhere, you’re staying somewhere—within a vibrant community, in a unique boutique hotel that combines authentic local experiences, modern design and intimate service with the peace of mind and consistency of staying with one of the world’s largest hotel groups.

Each hotel is as individual as its surroundings and is also a reflection of them. You can taste the local flavor on our menus and see it in the art and photography displayed on our walls. You’ll catch guests and neighbors hanging out in our bars, get great advice from our team members on what to see and do in the neighborhood, and be refreshed by just how relaxed and inviting it all feels.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Wonder how many more hotels Downtown can support ? We went from having almost no hotels downtown 25 yrs ago to now they are all over the place.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

It sounds nice...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

RockHarbor wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 pm It sounds nice...
It sure does. I like the concept..

Regarding the increasing amount of lodging popping up in downtown Omaha over the past 10 or so years, I think this is more of a “concept hotel” which carves a niche.. As apposed to a hotel that would traditionally accommodate College World Series visitors (as an example)..

I think there is more than enough room for downtown Omaha to have this type of lodging development pop up.. Plus..it could, as the KETV story link indicates, be a spark to ignite development in the area...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 pm
RockHarbor wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 pm It sounds nice...
It sure does. I like the concept..

Regarding the increasing amount of lodging popping up in downtown Omaha over the past 10 or so years, I think this is more of a “concept hotel” which carves a niche.. As apposed to a hotel that would traditionally accommodate College World Series visitors (as an example)..

I think there is more than enough room for downtown Omaha to have this type of lodging development pop up.. Plus..it could, as the KETV story link indicates, be a spark to ignite development in the area...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I do love how they are refurbishing all these old buildings in Omaha for some cozy & stylish boutique hotel. Back in the day, it was like all a clerk or agent could say to a weary business traveler who demanded a hotel with style in Omaha was: "Honey, Red Lion downtown or Marriott in Regency is all we got. You're choice." Now, there are so many choices around. With them currently refurbishing the Blackstone, it is only expected there is gonna be some local inspiration and competition...

Speaking of old buildings, I wish Omaha had a very lovable old commercial building, with a perky & eye-catching apex, like the one Peoria's Commerce Bank is in. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/23Mtx1COJII/maxresdefault.jpg I think that type of building would help Omaha out better than any average-height, new, glassy modern building would. I like Omaha's historic First National Bank a lot, and other historic beauties downtown, but I would love to pull into Omaha, and see just a little more historic "perk" and "flair" on a building rising beyond the river.

Look at Peoria's historic beauty here: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/soWXX6Q59Ig/maxresdefault.jpg (I love that building. I was able to take some neat pics of it at night even. It is almost like a mini "Smith Tower of Seattle." Peoria is a cute little river metropolis.) Seattle's gorgeous, historic Smith Tower: https://realestategals.com/wp-content/u ... 54_640.jpg (I never would have believed I would want an old building like that for Omaha, over a new modern one. Yet, that type of building helps a city feel more satisfying to me than any new office block. And, you appreciate the newer office blocks better when you have enough of these around -- which Omaha doesn't have enough of.)

Anyways, won't ever happen, so why am I even talking about it? I need to get a life. Seriously, I've been on this forum too much lately... :)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

It will be great to give this building new life. It seems to show up well on Douglas st driving into DT . As it sits in a open area of Downtown with not many buildings near it. I always thought it hurt Omaha looking all run down and vacant with it’s pinkish paint color. Downtown Omaha will have very few dilapidated old buildings once this is complete. It will be impressive if we can support all these hotels. One thing I wish Omaha could get is a Walgreens or CVS downtown. What if your a business traveler and your staying DT without a car and you forgot your toothpaste or razor ? Most other cities I’ve stayed in have at least a drug store within a reasonable walking distance of downtown hotels. We don’t have that. Nearest Walgreens is in Midtown which is a long walk from DT. Cubby’s near the Old Market is an option as well, I haven’t been in Cubby’s for a long time not sure what they carry. Need to go check that place out again.

Peoria is a pleasant city, the river valley going through the city is attractive. With heavily wooded areas just to the west of town along interstate 74. I was surprised how pretty the terrain was the last time I drove through it. Peoria would get a lot more attention if it wasn’t in Illinois. Everything in Illinois revolves around Chicago. Caterpillar corporation recently moved its headquarters out of Peoria to DT Chicago. A devestating blow to the city. Chicago seems to be purging businesses in the region to get them to move Downtown. We have seen this as well with ConAgra.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There was plan after plan to renovate a historic building at 18th and Dodge. This one is set to finally work.
Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote:“They just don’t make buildings like this anymore,” said Palu, a partner in the firm. “It’s an amazing piece of Omaha history that still can be saved.”
Half page picture of Logan Hotel in the paper. Says that the Lincoln developer is the best chance for reclaiming the building because of past experiences and talks about others who looked at it. Alley Poyner Macchietto Architecture has a lot of old plans to look at, and they expect a nice amount of TIF and other funding for this.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I spent the better part of 2 months at a new Indigo in DT KC for work early in 2018. It was a nice place, but not super high end by any means. The hotel bar/restaurant was designed well and felt disconnected enough from the hotel to actually draw people from the street.

Interestingly enough they also had residential units on the top couple floors of the building.

The KC location was fantastic though, 3 blocks from Costentino's/P&L. Omaha's is on a little more of an island until something happens at the Civic site.
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

I looked at The indigo website for KC. It looks nice. I really hope this project moves along quickly. It will be a great Addition in that part of Downtown. Which has always been a little quiet it seems.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I like that name "Indigo." I like the color, too. Sounds like a cool place.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:39 am
The KC location was fantastic though, 3 blocks from Costentino's/P&L. Omaha's is on a little more of an island until something happens at the Civic site.
We stayed there in November and really liked it. Its also a block from the streetcar which was really handy. Took the Streetcar from the hotel to breakfast, to a brewery, to Union Station, and back to the hotel.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

Brad wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:55 am
iamjacobm wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:39 am
We stayed there in November and really liked it. Its also a block from the streetcar which was really handy. Took the Streetcar from the hotel to breakfast, to a brewery, to Union Station, and back to the hotel.
I've stayed at the one in Dallas.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

All I know is somewhere in the rehab (interior design, facade, grounds, whatever) of the Logan building there needs to be a Wolverine reference of some kind.
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This sounds like a wonderful concept. I sure hope that it becomes a reality.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Big E wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:13 pm All I know is somewhere in the rehab (interior design, facade, grounds, whatever) of the Logan building there needs to be a Wolverine reference of some kind.
It took me a second to catch your reference, but, yes, that should be a requirement in renovating this building.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Hotel Indigo, 18th & Dodge

Post by ricko »

I think this has already been mentioned, but maybe I missed the thread, but the Hotel Indigo (flies under the IHG hotel group banner---Holiday Inn, etc.). 90 room boutique hotel, condos, high end restaurant----in the old Logan Hotel building. Indigo, like Hilton's Curio brand, rehabs older historic buildings, mostly in central business districts around the world.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Per the most recent NAI Dodge multifamily report, this project is to bring 100 apartment units to the market, and is set to open in Spring 2020. The timeline seems over optimistic, but it's hard to tell what's going on inside.
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

Knocked most of the windows out.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

100 apartments in addition to 90 hotel rooms?
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Here's an update on this project on it getting PACE funding, now with a timeline of completion in summer of 2020.

https://www.rejournals.com/petros-pace- ... X5nWpiSsyY
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

This project has reached the interior construction phase. All but a first level doors/windows installed. Scaffolding/exterior equipment basically gone.

What I don’t see yet ... parking. Since there are garages on 3 of 4 sides ... who knows?
NewDoom
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NewDoom »

Photo Update from 5/12/2020

bldgengineer2015
Home Owners Association

Post by bldgengineer2015 »

I spent my day on Tuesday 5/12 at this site observing the installation of ductile iron piles (the first job in Nebraska with these), that will support the new elevator and stair shafts. These shafts are going in the courtyard between the two halves of the building. I am excited for steel to start going up. Although you won't be able to see the progress unless you drive down Capitol. Also, the interior is coming along quite nicely with a vast majority of the hotel rooms framed up and MEP work progressing.
Last edited by bldgengineer2015 on Fri May 15, 2020 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

This is a project that needs all the fanfare from local media outlets once completed. This building has been needing a full blown restoration for many years, sitting dilapidated for too long. I am glad this it is getting TLC and I'm excited to see how it turns out.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Driving past this building the other day I had to do a double-take it was so strikingly clean and fresh looking compared to the old worn out blighted appearance I was used to. Really a fantastic renovation.
Omahacritic
Human Relations

Post by Omahacritic »

They really scrubbed the exterior. Like new. As the new windows get fitted it will be really sharp.