Logan Building to go Indigo (18th and Dodge)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Logan Building to go Indigo (18th and Dodge)

Post by eomaha »

Logan Building to go Apartments (18th and Dodge)

Weren't there tenants in the dilapidated Logan Apartments up until fairly recently??

I forgot to mention while on the Landmark walk Saturday that I noticed it appeared to be vacant.

Another condo prospect??

Anyone have any news on what's up here?

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Logan was rehabbed in the 80's

Post by NovakOmaha »

I was in the Logan Building in the late 80's or early 90's & the apartments were rehabbed back then. Nice apts really, mostly creighton students. It was owned at the time by the guy who owned the pawn shop. Don't know much about it now, but its a nice building.
Coyote
City Council

1802 Dodge

Post by Coyote »

Does anyone know any details about the seemingly abandoned building on the NWC of 18th & Dodge.
Records show that it is owned by Logan Holdings LLC - white 8 story - 96 units - but whenever I walk it by it seems boarded up.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I've been wondering about that for almost 2 years now. :)

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1810

A beautiful building...

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I don't know anything about it other than that building sitting there empty is a shame. Perhaps it will be part of the next wave of conversions/redo into new residential. I'm thinking a nice little coffee shop and something else in the bottom bays would be a great selling point.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absolutely, Josh.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They say it is very poor condition. Being so close to the Civic and the Courthouse you have natural traffic here. Even though it may be a little walk to any dining in the area - especially on a cold icy day - like today. But it is such a prominent and distinctive looking building for this area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The only thing that I have heard is that this LLC may have leveraged the property for more than its value and may have a hard time selling it.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The owners are currently working on a low/mod apartment project and asking for TIF...
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Coyote wrote:They say it is very poor condition.
That's pretty obvious if you've ever walked by the building when they've had windows open and taken a good look at things.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
the1wags
County Board

Logan building to go apartments

Post by the1wags »

From the Omaha W-H.

"Gary Hassenflu, president of Garrison Development, bought the Logan Building at 1802 Dodge St. for $1.3 million and plans to invest $13 million to $15 million in renovations.

The building, which has been vacant for two years, will feature 105 studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments. Most units will be studios, with rent starting at $475 to $500 each, Hassenflu said."

Link to the full Omaha World Herald article...
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10246910

This is great news, another building downtown that will become active again, more people living downtown, and also apartments are needed down here.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Rehabilitation of The Logan

Post by Historic Omaha »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10246910

The project is utilizing TIF, LIHTC, and Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits.

This is the same developer that tried to rehab the Burlington Mail Terminal Bldg. (Postal Annex).

Can this thread be moved to "urban"?
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

there is already a thread for this in "rumors" - can it be moved?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I merged the two together.
Ben
Human Relations

Re: Rehabilitation of The Logan

Post by Ben »

Historic Omaha wrote:This is the same developer that tried to rehab the Burlington Mail Terminal Bldg. (Postal Annex).
Great, that gives me lots of confidence in these folks.   :?   Cause we've seen how far that Postal Annex project has gotten so far....  Seriously, why can't some of these developers just pick 1 project and actually follow through, instead of announcing multiple, and then doing nothing.  

Sorry for the "glass half empty" attitude, just calling it as I see it.
NDizona
Library Board

Re: Rehabilitation of The Logan

Post by NDizona »

I was in the building a couple months ago and talked with the previous owners...

Its structurally sound but just about every ounce of copper has been ripped out of the property.  Birds have gotten inside and taken over the building.  The new owners will have alot of work ahead of them if they want to get this ready to rent in less than 2 years.  

This project with the renovated qwest building will bring about 350 new renovated apartment units between 19th and 20th - Dodge.

We are talking about $50 Million in just these two projects.

http://www.rpapc.com/SaleOfTheMonth.htm

The new developers have a solid reputation from everyone I have talked to.

Actually - just about every major project going on seems to have competent developers.  (with some notable exceptions)
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Which building near 20th & Dodge is going to be rehabilitated (20th & Dodge or 20th & Douglas...or both)?

the high-rise building at 20th & Dodge was built in 1958 (according to the co.assessor) and may be eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places and thus eligible for Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits (just like the Logan).

If someone knows the proper contact for the building I would love to offer the credits as another type of funding.  Many of the major rehabs downtown combined TIF, Historic tax credits, and sometimes LIHTC.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Historic Omaha wrote:Which building near 20th & Dodge is going to be rehabilitated (20th & Dodge or 20th & Douglas...or both)?

the high-rise building at 20th & Dodge was built in 1958 (according to the co.assessor) and may be eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places and thus eligible for Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits (just like the Logan).

If someone knows the proper contact for the building I would love to offer the credits as another type of funding.  Many of the major rehabs downtown combined TIF, Historic tax credits, and sometimes LIHTC.
the one closer to dodge
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Historic Omaha wrote:the high-rise building at 20th & Dodge was built in 1958 (according to the co.assessor) and may be eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places and thus eligible for Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits (just like the Logan).
Are you serious?  A building built in 1958 may be eligible for the NRHP?  I, for one, can't think of anything especially noteworthy about the building at 20th and Dodge that would warrant a listing.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

Normally I would agree with you - but this building was an employment center for decades - with tens of thousands of people going in and out.  I would consider such a building historic.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

I deal with determinations of National Register of Historic Places eligibility on a daily basis - So I am "serious".

According to the assessor's website, the building is 50 years old... in addition there are four criteria that a building/site can be listed under:

From the NPS website, http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/listing.htm
Criteria for Evaluation

The quality of significance in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture is present in districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that possess integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association, and:

A. That are associated with events that have made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of our history; or

B. That are associated with the lives of persons significant in our past; or

C. That embody the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction, or that represent the work of a master, or that possess high artistic values, or that represent a significant and distinguishable entity whose components may lack individual distinction; or

D. That have yielded or may be likely to yield, information important in prehistory or history.

The building may be eligible under A, B, C, or any combination.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

That looks a lot like the Omaha City Planner's Wrecking Ball Criteria Checklist, circa 1950 to present.

-Big E
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I know you were being serious Historic Omaha, it just seems that the criteria to fit "historic" has evolved to a point of near all-inclusiveness over the past few decades.
Last edited by icejammer on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

--William Jennings Bryan
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Big E wrote:That looks a lot like the Omaha City Planner's Wrecking Ball Criteria Checklist, circa 1950 to present.

-Big E
HEYOOOO!

Nice one.  :yes:
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Big E -

I bet the same was said for Fontenelle Hotel, Omaha Athletic Club, Medical Arts..

I bet the same was said for the old post office, city hall, and the Brandeis Theater in the 50s-60s.

I think that you mean "inclusiveness"?  There is so much that was destroyed in Omaha during the middle of the 20th Century... all for a lack of understanding and appreciation of the resources.  As the buildings that replaced those that were torn down in the 50s and early 60s become eligible - let us not repeat history - let us not succumb to the current desires/trends of the age.

Old brick buildings are the "hot" rehab properties right now... they weren't in the 50s when they might of been eligible for listing in the NRHP (if the program existed).

It seems that the mentality you have is what Mr. Harper had when he wanted Jobber's Canyon torn torn - for the sake of development.  I don't think that many would argue that he lacked an understanding of those resources.

One last thing - I am 28 and grew up in Omaha.  Some of my favorite properties/buildings are those that were built during the 50s and 60s.  This was the "Cold War" and SAC and Omaha were reeling in improvements - infrastructure, telecom.  Large buildings from this era belong to that story.  Part of their significance comes from the erasure of late 19th and early 20th century architecture (the buildings we all wish we had).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Historic Omaha:

I think you meant to address that to icejammer.  I'm probably the biggest (certainly most annoying) proponent of historical architecture preservation on this board outside of yourself.

-Big E
Stable genius.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

I wish that such tax credits were only given to developers with proven reputations so we could avoid future Brandeis incidents.  That building will have a stigma attached to it for at least a decade and much of its appeal is lost.  Do you take into consideration at all the people renovating it or just base it on the building and not the developer?

The Logan building developers - solid group with a good reputation...

The Brandeis developers - terrible planning and virtually zero market research.  They failed in a market that was hot.  That tells you how badly planned that development was.

Honestly - shouldn't the proven developers with a real market research get more consideration than less experienced developers?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Darth,

Did you ever hear how much the new developer paid for the Brandise this time around.  I bet they go it for a steal and can make up for any bad news.  Besides the new developer has a great reputation and should be ok with peoples trust.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Brad wrote:Did you ever hear how much the new developer paid for the Brandise this time around.  I bet they go it for a steal and can make up for any bad news.  Besides the new developer has a great reputation and should be ok with peoples trust.
Based on the numbers from the Brandeis building thread, it would look like Townsend paid $15.4 million.  Not a steal, but a better deal than what Hampton was asking for a year ago.

--William Jennings Bryan
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Logan building moving forward. Great news. From the Omaha World Herald.....

"It also approved a plan for the Logan Lofts, a renovation of the Logan Building at 1802 Dodge Street, just south of the Civic Auditorium.

That plan calls for converting the building, which has been vacant for two years, into 105 studios and one- and two-bedroom units. Kansas City-based Garrison Development is developing the project. Rents would begin at $475 to $500 a month."

Link to the full Omaha World Herald article.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10300108
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

It also approved a plan for the Logan Lofts, a renovation of the Logan Building at 1802 Dodge Street, just south of the Civic Auditorium.

That plan calls for converting the building, which has been vacant for two years, into 105 studios and one- and two-bedroom units. Kansas City-based Garrison Development is developing the project. Rents would begin at $475 to $500 a month.

The renovation will require gutting and replacing the electrical and plumbing systems. New windows will be installed. Each unit will include a washer and dryer.

The project is expected to cost $13.6 million, and the developer is asking the city for about $1.9 million in TIF.

$13.6 million for 105 units?  That's almost $130,000 per unit.  Rent to be about $500 a month?  What am I missing?  It doesn't make economic sense.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm really happy about this project!  We're finally getting some new, affordable rentals being developed downtown!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:We're finally getting some new, affordable rentals being developed downtown!
well perhaps not...http://www.garrisoncompanies.com/...and click on "pending".

studio $580
1 bed $610
2 bed $710
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

So much for "affordable" I guess.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

That looks like the going rate around here.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:That looks like the going rate around here.
That's what I was thinking.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Definitely higher than I would have hoped. Frankly, these apartments aren't near any amenities. They are right in the CBD, which is great, but I don't think that warrants those rental rates. I wonder what the interiors are like.

Anyway, more rentals downtown is a huge plus!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It would be nice to just see it just get occupied again... the block is dead.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.