The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:57 pm

I have noticed that the Woodmen signage had been removed from this building and it is indeed on the market.

Image

Marketing says that it is vacant listed at $1,750,000.

User avatar
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board
Posts: 2002
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:00 pm

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby OmahaJaysCU » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Boutique hotel is what I've heard.

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby SaveOmaha » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:26 pm

This building was originally the Brandeis Theater. Google it! Crazy right? They lopped off 2/3 of the building to build the parking garage next door.

User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:16 pm

SaveOmaha wrote:This building was originally the Brandeis Theater. Google it! Crazy right? They lopped off 2/3 of the building to build the parking garage next door.


Im surprised they didn't tear the whole thing down.
I got that Milf $

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:38 pm

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Boutique hotel is what I've heard.


That would be great.

jjjjhskr
Library Board
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:31 am
Location: O!

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby jjjjhskr » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:04 pm

iamjacobm wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Boutique hotel is what I've heard.


That would be great.


Possibly the 402 Hotel that we've been hearing about?
Back Home in Omaha!

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3485
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby nativeomahan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:59 am

jjjjhskr wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Boutique hotel is what I've heard.


That would be great.


Possibly the 402 Hotel that we've been hearing about?


That's already in existence, at about 22nd and Douglas.

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby Linkin5 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 am

nativeomahan wrote:
jjjjhskr wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
OmahaJaysCU wrote:Boutique hotel is what I've heard.


That would be great.


Possibly the 402 Hotel that we've been hearing about?


That's already in existence, at about 22nd and Douglas.


Unless I missed something it is planned to go to that location but is not already there.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21077
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby Coyote » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:15 am

402 Hotel news can be found in this thread.
Image

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 am
Location: Omaha

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby OmahaChef » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:29 pm

This is going to become a Tru by Hilton hotel. A new franchise option in the Hilton family. Anticipated opening is 2018.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.

OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm
Location: West Omaha

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby OmahaOmaha » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:47 pm

OmahaChef wrote:This is going to become a Tru by Hilton hotel. A new franchise option in the Hilton family. Anticipated opening is 2018.


I heard this as well. They will have a second location near Crossroads Mall. I stayed at one recently.
they call the hotel lobby “The Hive.”

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby Linkin5 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:55 pm

OmahaOmaha wrote:
OmahaChef wrote:This is going to become a Tru by Hilton hotel. A new franchise option in the Hilton family. Anticipated opening is 2018.


I heard this as well. They will have a second location near Crossroads Mall. I stayed at one recently.
they call the hotel lobby “The Hive.”


Where at by Crossroads?

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3485
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha and Puerto Vallarta

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby nativeomahan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:34 pm

This is exciting news. I'm tired of seeing the same boring chain hotels popping up all over town. The Even and now Tru will help establish downtown Omaha as a more chic urban destination for out-of-towners.
Now, if we could only get a Kimpton.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:29 pm

nativeomahan wrote:This is exciting news. I'm tired of seeing the same boring chain hotels popping up all over town. The Even and now Tru will help establish downtown Omaha as a more chic urban destination for out-of-towners.
Now, if we could only get a Kimpton.


Totally on board for the Kimpton. Spent two nights at a Kimpton in Dallas this weekend and had a fantastic time.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby iamjacobm » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:11 am

TIF before planning board.

ricko
Human Relations
Posts: 795
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby ricko » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:53 am

Ran into one of the marketing guys for the new 'Tru' brand----its target market is the millennial crowd. Almost all of the Tru brand properties will be new construction. I think it's great that they're repurposing this classic downtown building. It'll also be at a lower price point than Hilton's Hampton Inn properties (averaging around $80 per night). Hilton will have quite a presence downtown; this will be their 7th property.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:11 am

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/old-woodmen-building-a-step-closer-to-future-as-hilton/article_8f586ae0-d5fc-54d1-a2cd-6df54d2ee864.html

Real estate developers from Tennessee and Omaha are planning to team up to convert the historic former Woodmen of the World headquarters in downtown Omaha into a boutique hotel.

Omaha’s Clarity Development is working with Chattanooga-based ViaNova Development to renovate the 104-year-old World Building, 203 S. 18th St., into a 90-room hotel. Plans call for the World Hotel to join the “Curio — A Collection by Hilton” brand, which Hilton says “cater to travelers with a passion for discovery and a taste for the authentic flavor of communities.”

The Omaha Planning Board voted 4-0 Wednesday to recommend that the City Council approve $1.9 million in tax increment financing for the $13.6 million project.

The seven-story World Building once housed the Woodmen of the World headquarters, before the organization’s 30-story tower went up nearby

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5349
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:54 am

Sounds like they want to be open in time for the CWS in 2018.

Louie
Library Board
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Dundee at last!

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby Louie » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:34 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:Sounds like they want to be open in time for the CWS in 2018.

Certainly can't hurt to be full to the brim for a couple weeks during their early months.

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7893
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby MTO » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:36 pm

Christ aren't we out of legacy building stock yet!
15-17, 26, 32

ricko
Human Relations
Posts: 795
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: 203 S 18th St -- World Building

Postby ricko » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:40 am

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/old-woodmen-building-a-step-closer-to-future-as-hilton/article_8f586ae0-d5fc-54d1-a2cd-6df54d2ee864.html

Real estate developers from Tennessee and Omaha are planning to team up to convert the historic former Woodmen of the World headquarters in downtown Omaha into a boutique hotel.

Omaha’s Clarity Development is working with Chattanooga-based ViaNova Development to renovate the 104-year-old World Building, 203 S. 18th St., into a 90-room hotel. Plans call for the World Hotel to join the “Curio — A Collection by Hilton” brand, which Hilton says “cater to travelers with a passion for discovery and a taste for the authentic flavor of communities.”

The Omaha Planning Board voted 4-0 Wednesday to recommend that the City Council approve $1.9 million in tax increment financing for the $13.6 million project.

The seven-story World Building once housed the Woodmen of the World headquarters, before the organization’s 30-story tower went up nearby


I like the Curio brand even better that Tru-----great news.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Just for accuracy's sake it looks like this will be called "The World Hotel" The Curio Collection is ~20 boutique hotels that use some of Hilton's resources, but aren't all branded the exact same like a traditional chain.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:16 am

TIF request says there will be a rooftop bar.

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 689
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby choke » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:08 am


User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby iamjacobm » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:01 am

They are attempting to get this building designated as a local landmark. Maybe to be able to apply for historic tax credits?

asherballa
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby asherballa » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 am

iamjacobm wrote:They are attempting to get this building designated as a local landmark. Maybe to be able to apply for historic tax credits?


That smells right to me, can't think of any other reason you'd look for that designation other that to head off a future demo.

User avatar
GetUrban
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby GetUrban » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:44 pm

asherballa wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:They are attempting to get this building designated as a local landmark. Maybe to be able to apply for historic tax credits?


That smells right to me, can't think of any other reason you'd look for that designation other that to head off a future demo.


Tax credits are the main reason owners/architects seek the designation. The landmark/historic designations don't necessarily stop future demo, they just add more steps for demo approval. All an owner needs to do is ask the Landmarks, Planning, and City Council to have the designation removed, then the wrecking balls can swing.

I believe historic covenants can be legally attached to properties that would forbid future demo or alteration, much in the same way some neighborhoods have covenants to require or forbid certain building materials, fence types, no RV parking, etc.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

User avatar
schumatt
Home Owners Association
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Downtown Omaha
Contact:

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby schumatt » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 pm

KETV had a brief story on the new hotel today. Not much detail, but they do mention the rooftop restaurant/bar, plans to add street level retail, and that the exterior murals will be removed but preserved for use elsewhere.

Developers seek to restore building at 18th, Douglas
http://www.ketv.com/article/developers-seek-to-restore-building-at-18th-douglas/9238829

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5349
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:09 pm

schumatt wrote:KETV had a brief story on the new hotel today. Not much detail, but they do mention the rooftop restaurant/bar, plans to add street level retail, and that the exterior murals will be removed but preserved for use elsewhere.

Developers seek to restore building at 18th, Douglas
http://www.ketv.com/article/developers-seek-to-restore-building-at-18th-douglas/9238829

From the article:
Desai said construction on the hotel should start in the next few months, with a tentative opening in summer of 2018.


Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby Linkin5 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:07 am

That's cool as heck there is going to be a rooftop bar, I can't wait to check it out when it's open.

Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:21 am

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby Nick808402 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:19 pm

semi-related but why does Google Maps Street View have large sections of Downtown Omaha in the dark? like pretty much all of Douglas St including in front (or besides I guess) this building is taken at night.

Rooftop bar sounds dope though. Walking distance for me. Mercury, Wicked Rabbit, and now a rooftop bar. Can't wait.

User avatar
HR Paperstacks
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1730
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: West Central Omaha

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby HR Paperstacks » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Nick808402 wrote:semi-related but why does Google Maps Street View have large sections of Downtown Omaha in the dark? like pretty much all of Douglas St including in front (or besides I guess) this building is taken at night.

Yeah, it looks like it was taken at night. I reported it to Google, so hopefully they'll fix it. In the meantime, you can change the imagery date at the top left.

Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:21 am

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby Nick808402 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:21 pm

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Nick808402 wrote:semi-related but why does Google Maps Street View have large sections of Downtown Omaha in the dark? like pretty much all of Douglas St including in front (or besides I guess) this building is taken at night.

Yeah, it looks like it was taken at night. I reported it to Google, so hopefully they'll fix it. In the meantime, you can change the imagery date at the top left.


Didn't know you could change imagery date! That's awesome!

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby iamjacobm » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:57 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:
schumatt wrote:KETV had a brief story on the new hotel today. Not much detail, but they do mention the rooftop restaurant/bar, plans to add street level retail, and that the exterior murals will be removed but preserved for use elsewhere.

Developers seek to restore building at 18th, Douglas
http://www.ketv.com/article/developers-seek-to-restore-building-at-18th-douglas/9238829

From the article:
Desai said construction on the hotel should start in the next few months, with a tentative opening in summer of 2018.



I wonder what kind of retail they will be shooting for. This location is kind of low visibility, but has a large day time population w/in a few blocks. I would like another lunch option in the area.

User avatar
Taco
Home Owners Association
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby Taco » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:14 pm

Is this thing a go? Not listed on the Tru by Hilton website

ricko
Human Relations
Posts: 795
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby ricko » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:06 am

I thought it was going to be a Curio (by Hilton) brand.

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3749
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby Greg S » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:07 am

Regardless of brand, any signs of construction?

Greg

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9034
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby iamjacobm » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:12 am

Not much. Truck for Lueder Construction has been parked out front the past week or so and two roll away dumpsters being filled. I wouldn't really call it speedy though, looks like just a couple guys.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21077
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby Coyote » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:22 pm

$4.9M renovation by Curio just submitted...
Image

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1637
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Re: The World Hotel (203 S 18th St)

Postby NovakOmaha » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Coyote wrote:$4.9M renovation by Curio just submitted...


Sounds a little on the cheap side


Return to “Urban Omaha Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests