Hummel Park

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Hummel Park

Post by Coyote »

Hummel Park’s dark legends endure: Officials working to combat area’s decades-long reputation for strange doings
The park, they say, is home to a family, or colony, of albino farmers who venture out only at night. It’s also a hotbed of satanic activity, they say, citing images of spray-painted pentagrams on park property. It’s home to the Morphing Stairs, which are cursed, they say, because no one going up will count the same number of steps going down. Some have said the trees in the park are forever bowed in solitude from lynchings.
I forgot about the Hermit.
MTO
City Council

Re: Hummel Park

Post by MTO »

DTO and I hike up there all the time and we rarely see anyone else maybe that explains why. It's hilarious how you could be hiking deep into the trails and run across a frisbee golf thingy. Although we see less hikers up there we do see more transient camp/messes than other places.
15-17, 26, 32
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

I always called this park "Hummer Park" because one of my girlfriends used to give me hummers there. Good times.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

OmahaOmaha wrote:I always called this park "Hummer Park" because one of my girlfriends used to give me hummers there. Good times.
:lol:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I love Hummel. I like climbing those roadside dirt cliffs.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Hummel Park

Post by Coyote »

FallFest
Hummel Park Nature Center

October 1, Sat at 10:00AM - 1:00PM

FREE family fun event in Hummel Park!

Celebrate the fall season with us at this FREE family fun event in Hummel Park! From 10am-1pm, there will be guided nature hikes, fall crafts, s'mores, archery, outdoor games, cornhole, and more!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Famed North Omaha summer camp has precious few North Omaha campers
The city-funded camp, long held in North Omaha, includes very few North Omaha children, a Flatwater Free Press analysis found. Instead, the day campers are disproportionately from wealthier West Omaha zip codes.

Hummel Day Camp campers take a hike during the 2016 camp. The 70-year-old summer camp held in North Omaha’s Hummel Park offers traditional experiences like exploring the park wilderness.
Photo by Rebecca Gratz courtesy of The Omaha World-Herald
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I had no idea this day-camp was still around. I attended this camp a couple years in a row back in the mid 60's. Most of the kids were from white working class families; a surprising number from South Omaha, but it was a very segregated world back then. I'm really surprised to hear that it's still pretty segregated.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

It starts with the registration process. They open online at 8 am, and usually are sold out by 8:10 am. So only stay-at-home moms or parents who can steal a few minutes time from their boss to sign up can really do it. Plus pickups are at 8:30 and 4:30, so it's tough for working parents who need to work an 8 hour day to send their kids there.

The city could do a lot to make this camp more accessible to blue-collar families: sign ups at community centers on weekends instead of online during the work day. Day care from 7 am to pickup time, and then again afterwards to 6 pm.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

HskrFanMike wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:35 pmThe city could do a lot to make this camp more accessible to blue-collar families: sign ups at community centers on weekends instead of online during the work day. Day care from 7 am to pickup time, and then again afterwards to 6 pm.
heck, even just having a pickup/drop-off site or two and get the kids to Hummel on a school bus would be an improvement, and probably much cheaper than hiring staff/licensing/insurance for a short daycare stint before/after.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

They have that currently...school bus picks them up sometime after 8 at community centers then drops them off after 4. Problem is a parent has to be there until the bus arrives, which makes it tough on working parents. Plus, Fridays are a half-day
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah that's tough.
ArchStanton
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ArchStanton »

Geez, I forgot about the article that started this thread. I wrote the book, The Legend of Hummel Park and Other Stories, that the article was somewhat about. Had a lot of fun doing it and it did moderately well for a nobody. A few people really hated it, though, with some doozies of reviews on Amazon. Oh well, can't please them all!

As far as the Day Camp, we are some of the parents guilty of refreshing our computer until we can get our kids access to it. Our zip code is in North Omaha, though, so we're helping to pump up their numbers in that area anyway. I would agree that it's a very exclusive group that gets in and that is a problem but looks like they are expanding so that's good. I know in my elementary days, which were also in North Omaha, representatives from the parks would come in and tell us about our options for summer camps, but doesn't sound like they do that any longer. Maybe it would help a little to do so again, but as a parent I know how hard it is to get info from the kids to the parents.