Millwork Commons

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

asherballa
New to the Neighborhood

Millwork Commons

Post by asherballa »

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/workspa ... 58d71.html
585a1277a2c8d_image.jpg
585a1277a2c8d_image.jpg (113.71 KiB) Viewed 13526 times
North Downtown keeps on rolling. I'll be really excited (but keeping my fingers crossed) to see this come to fruition.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: NEDO (North East Downtown Arts and Trades District)

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks great hope it happens.

Also lets kill that NEDO name right now.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

iamjacobm wrote:Also lets kill that NEDO name right now.
Yes, it should obviously be NEDAT.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This has the makings of a fantastic addition to North Downtown :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

What a fantastic idea! and it would be relatively affordable to rehab and in fill that area. If they get the design standards set and build it out this would give us something to be proud of. The last time I was so excited about a project the old UP was being demolished.
15-17, 26, 32
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

I say they level the whole area and let some big corporation develope it for their headquarters. And then when that company skips town, it can sit there and be up for lease until the day I die.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

choke wrote:I say they level the whole area and let some big corporation develope it for their headquarters. And then when that company skips town, it can sit there and be up for lease until the day I die.
That's a quarter in the tank
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:
choke wrote:I say they level the whole area and let some big corporation develope it for their headquarters. And then when that company skips town, it can sit there and be up for lease until the day I die.
That's a quarter in the tank
:thumb:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I love this! This is a catalyst type of project.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Oh but wait.. Omaha sucks because, you know, skyscrapers, prefab and such :sly:
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I always feel pretty pessimistic about developments like this. We've been working on rejuvenating North Downtown for somewhere around a decade with moderate success and now we're going to add on a trades district roughly the same size? I like the idea but I think it'll be a very long time before it ends up resembling the picture in the paper.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I'm rarely cynical but this one does seam a little to good for Omaha.
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The Hot Shops / Mastercraft Building areas have already been developing towards these types of uses over the last 10 years or so. As long as inexpensive industrial-type spaces are available and new ones are created, this will happen incrementally. It will be great to have the City Planning Dept. and Future Forward's support behind the type of development that was going to happen anyway, which will hopefully accelerate it, but not smother it by pricing spaces out of start-up business range.

Anyone find a link to the 67-page Conceptual Document mentioned in the OWH article? You'd think it would be made available somewhere.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GetUrban wrote:The Hot Shops / Mastercraft Building areas have already been developing towards these types of uses over the last 10 years or so. As long as inexpensive industrial-type spaces are available and new ones are created, this will happen incrementally. It will be great to have the City Planning Dept. and Future Forward's support behind the type of development that was going to happen anyway, which will hopefully accelerate it, but not smother it by pricing spaces out of start-up business range.
For the doubters who want to throw a wet blanket on enthusiasm for this project (and I understand the reasoning as to why :) ).. what GetUrban has articulated here I believe is very, VERY accurate :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I always feel pretty pessimistic about developments like this. We've been working on rejuvenating North Downtown for somewhere around a decade with moderate success and now we're going to add on a trades district roughly the same size? I like the idea but I think it'll be a very long time before it ends up resembling the picture in the paper.
I'll be more optimistic on this front. This isn't just some vague city made master plan; it has the backing of the Kiewit Foundation, which I assume also brings in the interests of the Kiewit Corporation itself. It'll be a while but I could see this as the beginning of a new Aksarben of sorts.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:I always feel pretty pessimistic about developments like this. We've been working on rejuvenating North Downtown for somewhere around a decade with moderate success and now we're going to add on a trades district roughly the same size? I like the idea but I think it'll be a very long time before it ends up resembling the picture in the paper.
Common ownership and money are monster difference makers here.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Can we just call this area the Arts and Trade District instead of the ridiculous NEDO?
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

"Residents of the Big O say NEDO is neat-O!"
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

byrdrules wrote:"Residents of the Big O say NEDO is neat-O!"

Oh....oh no.... just...god no.
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MCC is holding classes in the Midco building on N 11th Street currently.

https://mccneb.edu/Community-Business/C ... trict.aspx

Looks like they may be calling it the Omaha Makerhood District?

Anyways this looks like mostly fashion/upholstery focused right now. Will be interesting to see if they start adding wood working, metal work etc.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

That's very ambitious. I love the setup, the plan and utilizing a growing niche in the city.. Hopefully they are expecting it to be something to grow organically like the rest of the city's fashion industry has.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Even more excited for this area with the Kiewit news. Them investing so much in this area makes loads of sense now.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The new Capital Improvement Plan includes a handful of new streets north of Cuming.

New section of Indiana St between 11th and 13th. One block north of Nicholas just before the Mastercraft building.
This project will construct a new street segment in conjunction with office and
retail development as part of the proposed Millwork District. The new street
would be a centerpiece for the district and have the option to function as event
space for farmer’s markets, art fairs, etc.
Connect 10th to 11th through Cuming.
This project will connect 10th Street to 11th Street between Cuming Street and Izard Street in
order to provide access and street connectivity to the proposed Millwork District and prevent
traffic issues on 12th and 14th Streets.
Run 12th from the newly constructed Indiana to Seward St, basically to the Drake Williams facility.
This project will extend 12th Street north from Indiana Street to Seward Street to enhance
connectivity in the proposed Millwork District and provide frontage for additional developable
properties after the core of the district has developed.
Also lets hope "Millwork District" is replacing NEDO.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Lame name. Let’s go full dorky and call it “neet-o”
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Interesting RFP.

http://images3.loopnet.com/d2/27vuPpe5D ... cument.pdf
Dear Commercial Real Estate Developer,

The New North Makerhood is issuing an Offering Memorandum to sell property in North Downtown. The intention is to use this opportunity to create a catalytic project for the area while hoping to maintain one of the existing historical structures. Important factors to the stakeholders in this process are to obtain a reasonable and competitive price for the site as well as demonstrating how the proposed purchase of the property will enhance the future of the area and the mission of the New North Makerhood.

Should you have interest in this opportunity, please reach out to myself at jweber@investorsomaha.com or 402 769 7563 by August 31st. Our next step will be scheduling a tour of the existing structures and providing access to further information such as environmental assessments, floorplans and neighborhood studies.

The deadline for submitting a signed letter of intent and a description of the proposed use of the site is September 14th, 2018.

Should you be selected as a finalist, you will be invited to discuss the contents of your proposal to the stakeholders. The details of your response will be kept in confidence and we expect a decision on the property to be made in November of 2018.

The current Stakeholders are undoubtedly committed to the neighborhood and will continue to focus their building improvements and leasing momentum along the 11th street corridor. In the months to come, there will be new faces and businesses to welcome, new space with historic charm to lease and a festival!

Thank you for your interest and consideration. We look forward to the energy and excitement this project will bring to the North Downtown area.
asherballa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by asherballa »

The 2018 Hutchfest will be in this neighborhood ("New North Makerhood") on Sunday:

http://www.hutchfest.co/

It's always a good event, lots of interesting vendors. I know it's been at MTC and the Mid American Center in CB in past years. Should be interesting to see what the development of this area looks like with an event of this size (250 vendors) filling the space.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

asherballa wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:56 am The 2018 Hutchfest will be in this neighborhood ("New North Makerhood") on Sunday:

It's always a good event, lots of interesting vendors. I know it's been at MTC and the Mid American Center in CB in past years. Should be interesting to see what the development of this area looks like with an event of this size (250 vendors) filling the space.
Not sure who it was hosted by, but there was a maker event in this area last December that was really well attended. I imagine adding good warm weather and live music will bring out a lot of people.

In a few years this will probably be centered around the newly built Indiana Ave between 11th and 13th. It is being designed as an event street that is easy to close off.
realestate_zach
New to the Neighborhood

Post by realestate_zach »

iamjacobm wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:13 am
asherballa wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:56 am The 2018 Hutchfest will be in this neighborhood ("New North Makerhood") on Sunday:

Not sure who it was hosted by, but there was a maker event in this area last December that was really well attended. I imagine adding good warm weather and live music will bring out a lot of people.

In a few years this will probably be centered around the newly built Indiana Ave between 11th and 13th. It is being designed as an event street that is easy to close off.
I believe you are referring to MADE, hosted by Bench. Bench is a co-working space for makers and creatives in North Downtown. The event happens twice a year in May and November.
Apartment developers are the worst.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I would post something but I guess voicing opinions on this forum is banned now
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:42 am I would post something but I guess voicing opinions on this forum is banned now
Posting your opinion is fine..It's when your "opinion" then morphes into a personal attack of the opinion of another forum member, then you run the risk of that post being removed.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable and your forum opinion(s) will be just fine..

Now back to NEDO discussion...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:31 pm
PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:42 am I would post something but I guess voicing opinions on this forum is banned now
Posting your opinion is fine..It's when your "opinion" then morphes into a personal attack of the opinion of another forum member, then you run the risk of that post being removed.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable and your forum opinion(s) will be just fine..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I said nothing wrong, read my posts if you disagree
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

PotatoeEatsFish wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:07 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I said nothing wrong, read my posts if you disagree
I don't know what post(s) you're referencing.. But moving forward, if you have an opinion here (or anywhere else) post it.. Just no personal attacks or "flame baiting"..

Ciao..LiO...
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:53 pm Interesting RFP.

http://images3.loopnet.com/d2/27vuPpe5D ... cument.pdf
We should be hearing about who was selected soon. I'm hope it is something special...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (189.71 KiB) Viewed 9951 times
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

They have the logo for the "New North Makerhood" on the side of the building now-visible from Cuming.
#gohawks
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.png
image.png (445.83 KiB) Viewed 9913 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Emerging $300 million plan aims to revitalize Omaha's north downtown industrial area

Called the Millwork Commons, the proposed mixed-use neighborhood would breathe activity into an old industrial area between 11th and 14th Streets, from Izard to Seward Streets.

The project led by Paul Smith of Black Dog Management would evolve over a decade — but is to launch Wednesday with an announcement of an anchor tenant for the soon-to-be-renovated Ashton building at 1218 Nicholas St.

A statement described the tenant as a “large and fast-growing technology company” whose identity would be revealed Wednesday. The company is to occupy about a floor and a half of the Ashton. The overall plan for that four-level building calls also for a ground floor of retail services, restaurants, bars and shops tailored for people who live and work in the area.

Also envisioned in the district is new construction and infrastructure work, a parking structure and areas that would be revamped for community events.

In the memorandum of understanding, the city agreed to consider providing tax-increment financing and to improve or build certain streets and infrastructure.

The developers plan to have the Ashton renovated and ready for use in 2020, Smith said.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Finally the tipping point for North Downtown a decade later? Historic renovations, Kiewit HQ. Big changes it looks like.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:29 am Finally the tipping point for North Downtown a decade later? Historic renovations, Kiewit HQ. Big changes it looks like.
The utilization of the Ashton will be big for the area. I have been in North Downtown quite a bit (U-Pull-It, Cooter's, and other auto parts stores there), but never drove past this building. It's pretty huge. Are they releasing the name of the tenant today? It's a big news day, for urban development, with this and the Joslyn expansion announcement.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They announce around 4 I was told. It is a familiar name for people in town that pay attention to startups. I was asked not to spill the beans, but it is someone that is consistently on the fastest growing companies list.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

I am literally at the Ashton right now as I work for that company. Very exciting stuff happening. This place is abuzz with excitement and energy.