Sons of Italy (10th and William)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Sons of Italy (10th and William)

Post by Coyote »

Sons of Italy building in Little Italy sustains damage due to a fire...
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Sons of Italy (10th and William)

Post by daveoma »

Coyote wrote:Sons of Italy building in Little Italy sustains damage due to a fire...
Oh no! :(
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

daveoma wrote:
Coyote wrote:Sons of Italy building in Little Italy sustains damage due to a fire...
Oh no! :(
I don't think it was too bad.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/firefig ... 3f336.html
By Andrew J. Nelson / World-Herald staff writer wrote:No one was injured, but the blaze caused $250,000 in damage to the structure and its contents, the fire department said. Other details remained scant Friday evening.
They are tax exempt so I don't know what the building is worth, but In the grad scheme of things, I don't think 250k is too bad.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sons of Italy board leaning towards razing, rebuilding hall

http://www.omaha.com/columnists/kelly/k ... cb42d.html
By Michael Kelly / World-Herald columnist wrote:Said Dr. Tom Pruse of Omaha, president of the state lodge: “I suspect the best option is to bulldoze and rebuild.”
By Michael Kelly / World-Herald columnist wrote:The state lodge said Friday that the Omaha Fire Department and insurance investigators had ruled the fire an accident, caused by spontaneous combustion of cleaning towels in the kitchen.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Heard a rumor that in addition to rebuilding on their current site, they have also looked at the former Bohemian Cafe, the former Piccolo's, and one of the empty lots by Grace University.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Heard a rumor that in addition to rebuilding on their current site, they have also looked at the former Bohemian Cafe, the former Piccolo's, and one of the empty lots by Grace University.
I think Piccolo's sounds best. Already has a ton of that Italian heritage, would put the build back to good use and open up the current spot closer to DT for more row house development.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Kelly: Sons of Italy board votes to renovate fire-damaged Omaha hall

http://www.omaha.com/columnists/kelly/k ... 2da46.html
By Michael Kelly / World-Herald staff writer wrote:“It’s going to be a beautiful structure,” said Dr. Tom Pruse, president of the organization’s state lodge. “It will have great eye appeal from the street.”
By Michael Kelly / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Pruse said capacity will increase from about 270 to 305. An addition from the 1980s will be removed, and the main building’s north wall will be extended.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

New trusses being placed on the existing walls. Looks like it should be a nice building when it is all said and done.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Any word on what's happening here? I haven't heard that they've re-opened and they're not great at keeping their website up-to-date.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ChadJK wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 am Any word on what's happening here? I haven't heard that they've re-opened and they're not great at keeping their website up-to-date.
This was a story on KETV within the last month saying that the rebuild had restarted after a long delay do to funding. A doner stepped up big the way it sounds.

https://www.ketv.com/article/sons-of-it ... n/28141875
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 am This was a story on KETV within the last month saying that the rebuild had restarted after a long delay do to funding. A doner stepped up big the way it sounds.

https://www.ketv.com/article/sons-of-it ... n/28141875
I had heard (rumor alert!) the organization wasn't particularly smart with their finances and had almost nothing in reserve. Additionally, they were grossly underinsured. I know they've been trying to raise the money for a while now, but 2.5 years in and I was beginning to doubt they'd ever recover. I'm happy to hear rebuilding has begun again, but a little alarmed that they're still $350,000 short.

Oddly, the American Italian Heritage Society at 132nd & Fort seems to be flush with cash. Perhaps Omaha cannot financially support TWO Italian societies.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

First off, there are 3 Italian Societies. Sons of Italy, American Italian Heritage Society and Santa Lucia.

I have heard from a couple different people that the Sons of Italy were trying to manage all the construction themselves. Basically "Too many cooks in the kitchen" and they were all trying to hook up friends with contracts to do some of the work. I heard they now have a construction manager and its getting better.

The AIHS on Fort street is not "Flush with Cash" as you say. The bank still owns the building and they will gladly accept any donations to help pay off their facility.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Brad wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:33 pm First off, there are 3 Italian Societies. Sons of Italy, American Italian Heritage Society and Santa Lucia.

I have heard from a couple different people that the Sons of Italy were trying to manage all the construction themselves. Basically "Too many cooks in the kitchen" and they were all trying to hook up friends with contracts to do some of the work. I heard they now have a construction manager and its getting better.

The AIHS on Fort street is not "Flush with Cash" as you say. The bank still owns the building and they will gladly accept any donations to help pay off their facility.
Okay. There's three. If two seemed like a lot for Omaha then three definitely does.

I suppose "flush with cash" was poor wording as, from a true accounting perspective, I have no idea what their cash reserves are. What I meant is that they were in a financial position to be extended the credit to have their facility built. Meanwhile, Sons of Italy is struggling to get theirs rebuilt.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Be careful about Brad, he is an IBM.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Coyote wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:09 pm Be careful about Brad, he is an IBM.
I'll bite...what is that?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:59 pm
Italian By Marriage
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:11 pm
Louie wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:59 pm
Italian By Marriage
BTW is it now official (it was on Grow Omaha) can we congratulate you?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bar is now opened, hoping for a Jan 20 Thursday lunch opening.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

When will Sons of Italy finally reopen? Hopefully very soon
After numerous delays, organizers are tentatively setting a date to reopen Sons of Italy at the end of the month
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

[youtube][/youtube]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Santa Lucia Festival
Santa Lucia Festival Omaha, NE
Sun, Jul 24

Omaha’s Santa Lucia Festival was founded in 1925 by Grazia Bonafede Caniglia. The mother of six immigrated to the United States from Carlentini, Sicily in 1900. She had a deep faith, walking from Sixth & Pierce Streets at five every morning to say her prayers at nearby St. Philomena Catholic Church (now St. Frances Cabrini).

As more and more Italians built new lives in Omaha, Grazia made it her mission to recreate Carlentini’s Santa Lucia Festival, to give immigrants a strong connection with their former country, and deepen their faith in the new land.

Omaha’s Santa Lucia Festival is one of three organizations supported by the Italian Community. Omaha’s Sons of Italy was formed in 1926, originally as the Benito Mussolini Lodge. The American Italian Heritage Society. formed in 1980, sponsors La Festa Italiana each September.

ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Coyote wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:33 pmOmaha’s Sons of Italy was formed in 1926, originally as the Benito Mussolini Lodge.
That's some awkward history.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

ChadJK wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 am
Coyote wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:33 pmOmaha’s Sons of Italy was formed in 1926, originally as the Benito Mussolini Lodge.
That's some awkward history.
There's an interesting article from the Washington Post about the popularity of Mussolini in the US. I'm not going to link it because, being the Washington Post, they had to use the opportunity to slam Donald Trump. However, the interesting part of the article was that the 1920's was the beginning of the celebrity culture. At the time Mussolini seemed larger then life, and powerful. And he promoted Italian culture.

The Sons of Italy are on record as condeming Facism and supporting the American War effort. What I think is odd though, is that the name of the Omaha Lodge was not changed until 1947, two years after the war was over, At least that's according to their website.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Santa Lucia Band returns to Omaha for the 98th annual Santa Lucia Festival

KMTV 3 News Now

The 98th annual Santa Lucia Festival returns to Omaha this week, as does a cherished staple: The Santa Lucia Band.
stadsborgare
Home Owners Association

Post by stadsborgare »

My dad was in the Santa Lucia band for more than 20 years. I used to follow them around when they marched through the neighborhood. Those were good times.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

stadsborgare wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:59 am My dad was in the Santa Lucia band for more than 20 years. I used to follow them around when they marched through the neighborhood. Those were good times.
Did they follow the same route on 10th and Williams? What sausage was there available then? What about this weekend? Is there a different Italian American Heritage Society route? Is there different Sons of Italy, American Italian Heritage Society and Santa Lucia festivals.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

98th Santa Lucia Italian Festival in Little Italy

- Santa Lucia Italian Festival
- July 21-24
- 5 p.m. starts on Thurs. and Fri, noon start on Sat., and 2 p.m. start on Sun. | Free
- Little Italy: 10th and William

This summer, the four-day Santa Lucia Italian Festival makes its 98th return to Little Italy. Grazia Caniglia – a Sicilian immigrant mother of six – founded the festival in 1925 based on the Sicilian town Carlentini’s Santa Lucia festival, now 400 years old. In 2022, guests can expect the ceremonies, music, and tournaments that make this an essential/enduring festival to the Omaha Italian community for almost 100 years. It runs from 5-10 p.m. on Thursday, 5-11 p.m. on Friday, noon to 11 p.m. on Saturday, and 2-9 p.m. on Sunday.

Grazia Caniglia created the festival after immigrating from Sicily and living in Omaha for 25 years because she wanted to pay homage to St. Lucy.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Don’t mess with the Italians…
7FF854FF-7FE9-4246-8876-D7C242A61111.png
7FF854FF-7FE9-4246-8876-D7C242A61111.png (88.88 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:24 pm Don’t mess with the Italians…
The Don would agree with this message..

Especially as it pertains to Raviolis…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha's Santa Lucia Festival returns for 99th year

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Santa Lucia Festival returns to Omaha’s Little Italy

The well-known Italian cultural event known as the Santa Lucia Festival kicked off on Thursday for its 99th year. It’s in the heart of Little Italy just south of downtown Omaha. The festival returned home right in front of the St. Francis Cabrini Church where the event originated. “Now that it’s back in the neighborhood, it just feels more like home,” said Jim Hall, owner of Orsi’s Italian Bakery & Pizzeria. “This is where it originated, and this is where all the families grew up.” A fun, but busy weekend lies ahead for the community that includes small businesses.

Omahayngin
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahayngin »

Will it be back at the riverfront next year with rides ect? I was always fond of it
lpgforms
New to the Neighborhood

Post by lpgforms »

Next year will be the 100th anniversary of the festival.

There are no plans to move back to the riverfront - the group that sponsors the event likes having it back down in the old neighborhood.

Plus the downtown location now will be hosting sand volleyball courts and other entertainment.