Central High School

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

mistergutierrez
New to the Neighborhood

Central High School

Postby mistergutierrez » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Central High School to add an arts annex in the east side of the main building. Presentation with renderings in the link below.

Central High School Addition Update

Members of the Central High Foundation, along with DLR Architects and Central staff shared an update regarding planned future improvements to Central High School.

The proposal is to create a 50,000 square foot addition on the east side of the building. The addition would consolidate the library, visual arts, instrumental music and vocal music into one single area of the building. This would allow for the repurposing of 25,000 square feet of existing building space to better meet the educational needs of all Central High students.

Construction is scheduled to begin summer 2017.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001_zK4OQH5 ... oi_eXiog==

Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Re: Central High School

Postby Fromaha » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:17 am

As a Central Alum, when I heard about this project, I was concerned with it changing the character of the building. But now seeing the renderings and how it will improve the arts facilities, as someone who was involved in the arts while a student, this is very exciting. I think this will be an amazing improvement which will benefit students and teachers for years to come and remains true to the design and character of this historic building. Outstanding!

PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:21 am

Meh, they should've put it somewhere less visible.
I got that Milf $

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Postby GetUrban » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:40 am

Fromaha wrote:As a Central Alum, when I heard about this project, I was concerned with it changing the character of the building. But now seeing the renderings and how it will improve the arts facilities, as someone who was involved in the arts while a student, this is very exciting. I think this will be an amazing improvement which will benefit students and teachers for years to come and remains true to the design and character of this historic building. Outstanding!

I'm also a CHS grad. The architect appears to have done a good job keeping the new addition below most of the existing building, and not obstructing the view of the symmetrical building above. The only thing I'm not sure about is why they chose to make the new east facade curved while the rest of the building and additions are rectangular. I really don't think they could have found any other better place to put an addition. The west side of the school borders the Joslyn sculpture garden just below 1st floor level. The north side is already occupied by gyms and a football stadium. There is insufficient room on the south side. It works out well to tuck the new addition into the steeper slope on the east side, without blocking much of the view of the Neoclassic building above.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

MTO
City Council

Postby MTO » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 pm

I think it's a very clever use of space and the only thing I would have preferred was a grass knoll over it to maintained the character of the property.
15-17, 26, 32

jelizh
Home Owners Association

Postby jelizh » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:56 pm

GetUrban wrote:I'm also a CHS grad. The architect appears to have done a good job keeping the new addition below most of the existing building, and not obstructing the view of the symmetrical building above. The only thing I'm not sure about is why they chose to make the new east facade curved while the rest of the building and additions are rectangular. I really don't think they could have found any other better place to put an addition. The west side of the school borders the Joslyn sculpture garden just below 1st floor level. The north side is already occupied by gyms and a football stadium. There is insufficient room on the south side. It works out well to tuck the new addition into the steeper slope on the east side, without blocking much of the view of the Neoclassic building above.

Another fellow CHS grad here. I could be way off base, but I believe the east entrance of Central has always been a curved porch/plaza to compliment how it used to be viewed with Capitol Ave's landscaping back in the day. Perhaps they are keeping the addition curved as homage to this, or developments to come in the area. (Attaching the best example I could find from when the current building was built around the tower).

I'd be curious as to how they will repurpose all of the existing square footage... the library & art spaces should be easy, but the instrumental and choir rooms don't quite fit standard classroom use.

Return to “Urban Omaha Development”