Central High School

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Central High School

Post by eomaha »

Central High School

Looks like construction will be starting soon on Central's downtown football stadium... seating over 5,000... and featuring an expansive plaza. Will be interesting to one day be winding around I-480 and see Friday night football games being played in downtown Omaha.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... id=1024784

Last edited by eomaha on Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Re: Central High School

Post by sokkerdewd »

Impressive project for a high school...wow.
sokkerdewd
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Yes, I agree. The view of the stadium lights and crowd from the interstate will be a very interesting sight. Perhaps on any given night, you might be able to see the lights and action at the Central Stadium, Creighton's new complex and the Qwest Center too. Then when you consider the lights on the Woodmen and the First National Tower. I wonder if the pedestrian bridge will be lighted at night and visible from the interstate. Our dear city may end up with one of the most unique downtown Interstate views around.
eomaha
County Board

Central stadium to be named for graduate/WWII vet

Post by eomaha »

Omaha World Herald wrote: Central High honors WWII vet

Lee Seemann was happy to hear that Omaha's Central High School finally would be getting a football stadium.

The highly decorated World War II veteran and retired businessman graduated from Central in 1938. He played center for the Eagles and remembers the school's practice field.

"It was just awful," said Seemann, who's 84. "It wasn't lined out with the yardages and all that. In fact, I don't think it was 100 yards long.

"I always thought that was no good for Central High."

Thanks to monetary donors such as Seemann and his wife, Willa, a stadium is taking shape just north of Central, which sits at 20th and Dodge Streets.

Seemann Stadium, as it will be known, has a northwest-to-southeast orientation and is squeezed into about six acres between Chicago and Davenport Streets and 20th and 22nd Streets.

The seats on the home side will offer a clear view of downtown Omaha, the Qwest Center and the bluffs across the Missouri River.

"It will be just wonderful," Seemann said.

The stadium, which is being built by Kiewit Construction Co., is on schedule to be completed by August 2005. It will have artificial turf and a track with four lanes all the way around and six lanes in a straightaway for sprints.

The structure actually is built out over what was Chicago and Davenport, so those two streets now are closed between 22nd and 20th.

The 5,300-seat stadium is part of a $12.1 million project that involved Joslyn Art Museum, Creighton University and the Omaha Public Schools.

As part of the project, the land that once held Central's practice field will go to Joslyn. That space now holds 28 portable classrooms that Central is using during renovation work that's going on inside the school.

Creighton, which had owned some of the land on which the stadium is being built, will get a 27-space parking lot north of Kenefick Hall and can use money from the land sale for projects on its campus.

Central, of course, gets the stadium. And, thanks to an agreement with federal and state officials, the use of 144 nearby parking stalls under Interstate 480.

The Seemanns gave a "significant" amount of money toward the construction of the stadium, said Sue Morris, president of Heritage Services, the nonprofit group overseeing the project.

An initial gift of nearly $5.3 million from the late Susan Buffett, a Central grad herself, spurred the fund-raising effort. Morris said money also has come in from Central alumni and others in the community.

Morris said she hopes the project will "encourage and inspire other people to do the same thing for their schools."

Michael Yanney, the chairman of Joslyn's board, said, "What this has done is really opened up that whole campus to really become a very significant addition to downtown Omaha."

Yanney added that the transfer of the practice field to Joslyn "probably gives Joslyn some breathing room if they ever need to build another gallery."

Morris said the land likely will be sodded after the concrete is torn out following the end of the school year in May. She acknowledged that a sculpture garden is an option for the site.

Seemann said he and his wife, a member of Central's class of 1943, didn't like the idea of a Lee and Willa Seemann Stadium when Yanney pitched it to them.

The name was too long, for one thing. For another, the Seemanns have preferred to make their donations "quietly."

But they relented.

"We just said, 'If you make it Central High on the top, then down below put "Seemann Stadium," I suppose that's all right.'

"It's got to be some Stadium."

The entire project, Yanney said, has been "a phenomenal team effort" involving Heritage Services, Creighton, OPS and Joslyn. It shows, he said, "you can work together to make things happen that are mutually beneficial for everybody."
Last edited by eomaha on Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

Maybe I am just a high school student at heart, but I think they are going to regret the name of this stadium :oops: . Especially, when they hear the ways that other student bodies may ridicule it. :wink:
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Or they can hold their head high... and run with it. :D
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Central's new eagle

Post by Finn »

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

The eagle, which traveled with a life-sized bronze buffalo from Colorado, drew attention from other travelers along with way.

Clements and Bryan Wright, who also worked on the sculpture, said one curious pair followed the trailer for 20 miles and asked several questions when they finally stopped near Kearney.

The buffalo will be installed near the First National Tower soon.
This is the buffalo that ItsAllAboutMe referred to in the Development Forum.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That is going to be one of the coolest stadiums in town, and the best view for a highschool football stadium.
the1wags
County Board

stadium finished

Post by the1wags »

Alt(Bayern)München
Home Owners Association

Post by Alt(Bayern)München »

The front plaza looks a little too Albert Speer to me?!?!

But the stadium itself is awesome!
I love they way it's wedged between Central, the interstate, and that CU Tower...and it has cool views of DT, like the CU Soccer stadium does!
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

That plaza is kind of wide open because it doubles as part of the loading dock for the school.
Alt(Bayern)München
Home Owners Association

Post by Alt(Bayern)München »

Cool...

Severe, white, monumental architecture with big metal eagles scare me...

But seriously, it's awesome what they have done there, and all with $12 million in private funding I understand!
Good for Central, it's a stadium to be proud of!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I have pictures of it which I might put up later, but that Eagle statue isn't in the middle of the stadium like that. In fact that rendering looks nothing like that.

-There are no flag poles.
- It says Seeman Stadium not Central High School Eagles.
- That plaza isn't that big either. The parking was a bit more removed from the actual plaza part.

My brother is playing football for Central now so I got to go the opening ceremony. It started 2hours late because of the rain and my two arch enemies Dave Weber and Mike Fahey were there. I wanted to go 'talk' to them but my mom didn't want me causing a scene. All in all it was a nice field but the Away team will have the better view by far.
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Alt(Bayern)München wrote:Severe, white, monumental architecture with big metal eagles scare me...
Somehow, the "Seeman of Nordrhein Westphalen" just doesn't sound intimidating!
DTO Luv wrote:the Away team will have the better view by far.
But not on film - if the Eagles are driving to the NNW, then DTO is a backdrop for all of their plays, so it will look great on film.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

HEY... that's Lee Seemann... our states most decorated WW II war veteran you're making fun of. :)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I can't wait to see a game at that stadium!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

First Annual Alumni Open House Day

Saturday, June 30, 2007

1 to 4 PM

Meet in the CHS Courtyard

It’s Free!
Light refreshments served.   Tours on the half hour.
Everyone welcomed -- all former students, faculty, family and friends.
Come reminisce and celebrate the CHS legacy!
Now Air Conditioned!

Please let us know if you can join us, as we plan to serve light refreshments, by replying to this email.  chsalumni@cox.net

Hope to see you there!!

Sincerely,
James J. Wilson 1992
Central High School Alumni Association
President
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Central High School Illuminated!

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I did a search here and didn't find anything.  I can't believe this hasn't been posted!

I just got a package from my mom with Omaha news clippings, and in it was a piece about Central High getting a nighttime lighting scheme (which means the news is probably at least two weeks old...).

Anyway, this is EXCELLENT!!!  Central High is SUCH a beautiful building, and it used to just be a black hole at night.

I wish more landmark structures would get nighttime illumination.

Could somebody snap a pick or two????  Pretty please!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I will check it out after the Hockey game tonight.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Cool.  The more lights downtown the better.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here you go.  Sorry about the Quality.  My tripod is under a couple of hundred pounds of sand bags after Saturday's art show so these are hand held at 1600 ISO:

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

yeah!  That caught my eye big time from I-29.  You can really see it well now that the old UP building is out of the way.  I dig it; i wish all buildings downtown were lit up like that at night.
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Thanks Brad!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Thanks Brad!
You are welcome.  

I think its a great start, however not very well executed.  Several problems, first they are just big old spotlights so stargazers will not be happy because they are putting off a lot of light pollution.  Second they are not very well balanced, there is a ton of fall off from the middle of the building to the top.

I think they should have used a lot more precise lights with a warmer color that hit the building more evenly without all the light pollution.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

The images are not displaying for me.  :cry:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bradley414 wrote:The images are not displaying for me.  :cry:
That's weird.  They seem to be working fine.  

I emailed them to your cox account.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's exactly what I as going to say, Brad.

It's a start, but I'd rather liked to have seen more "highlight" type lighting on the building itself, accentuating its architectural features.  It's still a HUGE improvement, and will maybe get other Downtown property owners thinking.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I can't see them either... although I don't need to.

:barf:
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:I can't see them either... although I don't need to.

I take it my description of the light pollution was enough.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:
Stargazer wrote:I can't see them either... although I don't need to.

I take it my description of the light pollution was enough.
No, it's an OPS school.  Therefore he hates it - lighted or otherwise. :;):

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

(sorry, I missed that Brad... I appreciate your thinking of us :) )

And I'll have you know...
stargazer on city-data.com/forum wrote: 05-02-2008, 03:40 PM  
star_gazer
Senior Member   Join Date: Jan 2007
257 posts, read 104,371 times

-- -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
some other loser said wrote:I wouldn't put my worst enemies kids in the ghetto high schools of OPS.  
I'm a graduate of Westside, but have enough experience with Central High to know that it is one of the best schools in Omaha.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Yeah, in Omaha...  We all know that Millard isn't in Omaha.   :;):

(I'm honestly just yanking your crank, here.)

-Big E
Stable genius.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Brad wrote:
bradley414 wrote:The images are not displaying for me.  :cry:
That's weird.  They seem to be working fine.  

I emailed them to your cox account.
Thanks.

And I agree about the quality of the lights.  They don't reach up to the buildings crown and leave a lot detail in the dark.  I'll have to see the building for myself, but it looks so funny in the photographs I want to believe that whoever installed them will adjust them soon.

I was looking forward to photographing another lit up building at night.  Now, not so much.
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Central High School

Post by mistergutierrez »

Central High School to add an arts annex in the east side of the main building. Presentation with renderings in the link below.

Central High School Addition Update

Members of the Central High Foundation, along with DLR Architects and Central staff shared an update regarding planned future improvements to Central High School.

The proposal is to create a 50,000 square foot addition on the east side of the building. The addition would consolidate the library, visual arts, instrumental music and vocal music into one single area of the building. This would allow for the repurposing of 25,000 square feet of existing building space to better meet the educational needs of all Central High students.

Construction is scheduled to begin summer 2017.

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001_zK4OQH5 ... oi_eXiog==
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

As a Central Alum, when I heard about this project, I was concerned with it changing the character of the building. But now seeing the renderings and how it will improve the arts facilities, as someone who was involved in the arts while a student, this is very exciting. I think this will be an amazing improvement which will benefit students and teachers for years to come and remains true to the design and character of this historic building. Outstanding!
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Meh, they should've put it somewhere less visible.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Fromaha wrote:As a Central Alum, when I heard about this project, I was concerned with it changing the character of the building. But now seeing the renderings and how it will improve the arts facilities, as someone who was involved in the arts while a student, this is very exciting. I think this will be an amazing improvement which will benefit students and teachers for years to come and remains true to the design and character of this historic building. Outstanding!
I'm also a CHS grad. The architect appears to have done a good job keeping the new addition below most of the existing building, and not obstructing the view of the symmetrical building above. The only thing I'm not sure about is why they chose to make the new east facade curved while the rest of the building and additions are rectangular. I really don't think they could have found any other better place to put an addition. The west side of the school borders the Joslyn sculpture garden just below 1st floor level. The north side is already occupied by gyms and a football stadium. There is insufficient room on the south side. It works out well to tuck the new addition into the steeper slope on the east side, without blocking much of the view of the Neoclassic building above.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I think it's a very clever use of space and the only thing I would have preferred was a grass knoll over it to maintained the character of the property.
15-17, 26, 32
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

GetUrban wrote: I'm also a CHS grad. The architect appears to have done a good job keeping the new addition below most of the existing building, and not obstructing the view of the symmetrical building above. The only thing I'm not sure about is why they chose to make the new east facade curved while the rest of the building and additions are rectangular. I really don't think they could have found any other better place to put an addition. The west side of the school borders the Joslyn sculpture garden just below 1st floor level. The north side is already occupied by gyms and a football stadium. There is insufficient room on the south side. It works out well to tuck the new addition into the steeper slope on the east side, without blocking much of the view of the Neoclassic building above.
Another fellow CHS grad here. I could be way off base, but I believe the east entrance of Central has always been a curved porch/plaza to compliment how it used to be viewed with Capitol Ave's landscaping back in the day. Perhaps they are keeping the addition curved as homage to this, or developments to come in the area. (Attaching the best example I could find from when the current building was built around the tower).

I'd be curious as to how they will repurpose all of the existing square footage... the library & art spaces should be easy, but the instrumental and choir rooms don't quite fit standard classroom use.