New Image Dentistry (NEC 72nd & Grover)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

debradomayer
Library Board

New Image Dentistry (NEC 72nd & Grover)

Post by debradomayer »

Driving by 72nd & Grover this afternoon and noticed the price sign was off and then noticed all of the yellow caution tape. Anderson BP was locked up & closed. Wasn't aware they were closing, but with Bucky's right across the street...
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: ANDERSON BP

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

It would not be the first time Buckys bought out a competitor and then just left the empty lot sitting there.
muszical
New to the Neighborhood

Post by muszical »

If you are referring to 30th and Ames. Buchanan intends to buoy a new gas station on the SE Corner and McDonalds will them build a new store on the existing Corner. O'Reilly's has been holding up construction by being unreasonable in relocation offers.
Slbg91
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Slbg91 »

This could have something to do with the Ramada becoming a Red Lion. Their remodel calls for a wave pool. I suspect that such a Waterpark expansion would take up the parking in front of the convention center on the north side. They are tearing down the Baymont for parking space so it is possible that the Anderson space could also become parking.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Slbg91 wrote:This could have something to do with the Ramada becoming a Red Lion. Their remodel calls for a wave pool. I suspect that such a Waterpark expansion would take up the parking in front of the convention center on the north side.
The gas station property is listed for sale so that seems unlikely.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

debradomayer wrote:Driving by 72nd & Grover this afternoon and noticed the price sign was off and then noticed all of the yellow caution tape. Anderson BP was locked up & closed. Wasn't aware they were closing, but with Bucky's right across the street...
Keep forgetting to post this, but the gas pumps are gone and I presume but did not see the tanks removed.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mr.Nuke wrote:The gas station property is listed for sale so that seems unlikely.
Buck's bought this building in late February for a cool $1m while it was evaluated at $525k but are now asking $725k with a deed that restricts the property from use as a C-Store and/or car wash, so I am guessing the building/car wash will be removed so it sells as an empty lot ready for development. This parcel is only .43 acres so I can't imagine what can go in here...
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

Coyote wrote:
Mr.Nuke wrote:The gas station property is listed for sale so that seems unlikely.
Buck's bought this building in late February for a cool $1m while it was evaluated at $525k but are now asking $725k with a deed that restricts the property from use as a C-Store and/or car wash, so I am guessing the building/car wash will be removed so it sells as an empty lot ready for development. This parcel is only .43 acres so I can't imagine what can go in here...
I drive by here almost daily and the heavy equipment was breaking up large chunks of concrete. The tanks I believe were pulled out last week. Waiting for the building to go...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yes, the tanks were pulled last Thursday.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Building being demolished.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Coyote wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:29 am Building being demolished.
I just drove past this site yesterday and was wondering why the building was being torn down. It's a small site; what can go there?
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

ita wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:04 am
Coyote wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:29 am Building being demolished.
I just drove past this site yesterday and was wondering why the building was being torn down. It's a small site; what can go there?
Maybe a coffee shop...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like a dentist bought it about a month ago.
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

This is right by my house, there have been some workers there with equipment, but I really have no idea what they were doing. The current lot is in terrible shape, it's not even close to salvagable. One guy was out there alone with a pickax - maybe seeing how tough it will be to break it up versus pave over?
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

PWL73316 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:13 pm This is right by my house, there have been some workers there with equipment, but I really have no idea what they were doing. The current lot is in terrible shape, it's not even close to salvagable. One guy was out there alone with a pickax - maybe seeing how tough it will be to break it up versus pave over?
Welp, drove by again today and it's a dirt lot with a big pile of dirt that looks ready to go into where the foundation used to be. Not wasting time on this one.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Steel going up.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Anderson BP now New Image Dentistry

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (100.42 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: New Image Dentistry (NEC 72nd & Grover)

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like this is getting a $2.8 million 2 story expansion to the east.

https://cityclerk.cityofomaha.org/image ... 3-0041.pdf
Mapguy
Home Owners Association

Post by Mapguy »

Why does a dentist need TIF to cover 18% of their building costs?
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

Mapguy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:40 am Why does a dentist need TIF to cover 18% of their building costs?
What weird framing. Why not a dentist? What makes them less eligible than a developer or fortune 500 corporation with hundreds of millions in annual profit?
Mapguy
Home Owners Association

Post by Mapguy »

Haha well i have nothing against dentists specifically. When Omaha uses TIF for any project we should ask why they need 10-25% of their construction costs paid for by someone else.

I looked at the TIF documents and they are spending 8,000 on sidewalks and 4,000 on landscaping. This hardly seems like a public amenity that the developer is going above and beyond what they would normally do.

At least with most projects in midtown its housing thats getting subsidied and those subsidied are probably making larger buildings with more apartments possible.

Im sorry but is developer really trying to argue a 2 story office building isnt financially possible without city assistance next to a busy east/west interstate and north/south arterial?

Omaha is giving a developer $500,000 to build a 2 story office building next to an interstate. Wheres the density and mixed use? I mean maybe if they put 3 stories of apts above it I could get behind this project. The bar for "public benefit" on this project seems kind of low even by TIF standards.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mapguy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:21 pm we should ask why they need 10-25% of their construction costs paid for by someone else.
Nobody is paying for it. They don't get money, its a tax credit. The thought is they use the tax saving to help pay off the debt of the improvements.
Mapguy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:21 pm they are spending 8,000 on sidewalks and 4,000 on landscaping. This hardly seems like a public amenity that the developer is going above and beyond what they would normally do.
Just remember when you build a building, you are required to build public sidewalks on the city's property adjacent to your property. Basically the city is getting a new (And usually larger) sidewalk at the owner/developer's expense. The sidewalk has to be built to the city standards, using a city approved concrete mix. Its going to be a lot more expensive than a homeowner building a sidewalk in their back yard. Currently, the smallest sidewalk the city allows in a commercial area is 5' wide and 6" thick.
Mapguy wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:21 pm This hardly seems like a public amenity that the developer is going above and beyond what they would normally do.
I would guarantee every single developer would use TIF its an option for their project. None are going to turn down a tax credit.