The current/future state of 1416 Dodge

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

symphie
New to the Neighborhood

The current/future state of 1416 Dodge

Post by symphie »

This thing has been empty for years, i'm getting sad looking at it. I wasn't sure what to search in the forums but i'm sure there is an extant thread on this already. I know there was going to be some type of development here long ago, but haven't heard anything else since then; I am starting to worry it will never be used.

Last edited by symphie on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Will anything ever happen with this lot? (15th & Dodge)

Post by RNcyanide »

http://tackarch.com/portfolio/1416-dodge/

After the HDR debacle, good luck. OPAS has nothing to do with this lot, but they succeeded in showing any suburban companies that it's a huge pain in the aśś to build downtown.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Ideally, I would still like to see a residential high rise whether it be apartment or condos, or a combination of both.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Linkin5 wrote:Ideally, I would still like to see a residential high rise whether it be apartment or condos, or a combination of both.
And there's no reason why we couldn't get one there they are trendy right now they're popping up all across the country. But they better hurry before the economy turns these building booms are always punctuated by economic folly.
15-17, 26, 32
symphie
New to the Neighborhood

Post by symphie »

RNcyanide wrote:http://tackarch.com/portfolio/1416-dodge/

After the HDR debacle, good luck. OPAS has nothing to do with this lot, but they succeeded in showing any suburban companies that it's a huge pain in the aśś to build downtown.
Are there restrictions from the city for what can be built on the lot? It seems like such a prime location (skyline wise at least). As I think about it though, some tiny project there would be pretty underwhelming.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

symphie wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:http://tackarch.com/portfolio/1416-dodge/

Are there restrictions from the city for what can be built on the lot? It seems like such a prime location (skyline wise at least). As I think about it though, some tiny project there would be pretty underwhelming.
For the time being, the land downtown is salted ground.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: The current/future state of 1416 Dodge

Post by bigredmed »

Land in Aksarben Village is running low, but if you are plunking down 500 employees, you are going to catch a lot less resistance there, than downtown.

Between people who would kill children to preserve an antique light fixture and the rich power brokers who want to throw their weight around, you are correct, land down there is a long walk for a short hike.

I would not bet on downtown development for the next 5-10 years.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Meanwhile in most midwestern cities downtown has become red hot.

http://urbanland.uli.org/development-bu ... midwest-3/
15-17, 26, 32
symphie
New to the Neighborhood

Post by symphie »

MTO wrote:Meanwhile in most midwestern cities downtown has become red hot.

http://urbanland.uli.org/development-bu ... midwest-3/
I wonder if there is some sort of aversion to living in DT for a lot of the city's residents. I did have someone tell me that because there is more room to "build out" rather than "build up" (in comparison to other cities?), that is what most businesses are doing expansion wise.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

There's just not much reason to live in downtown versus our great midtown neighborhoods. There's a huge contiguous stretch of great neighborhoods in Midtown: up north Country Club, Benson, Dundee; central Midtown Crossing, Blackstone, and Field Club; southwest Morton Meadows and Aksarben. Downtown, by comparison, almost feels like it's on an island, and it's a fairly small area.

Downtown currently has nothing to its east, minimal infrastructure to the south, and one of Omaha's most depressed neighborhoods to the south. That's not a foundation for success. If Playland Park in CB takes off and if North Downtown continues to add residents and if a streetcar ever runs up and down 10th and 13th Streets, downtown might become the place to be, but until and unless those things happen, I expect most of the city's development energy to be focused on midtown areas.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

riceweb wrote:There's just not much reason to live in downtown versus our great midtown neighborhoods. There's a huge contiguous stretch of great neighborhoods in Midtown: up north Country Club, Benson, Dundee; central Midtown Crossing, Blackstone, and Field Club; southwest Morton Meadows and Aksarben. Downtown, by comparison, almost feels like it's on an island, and it's a fairly small area.

Downtown currently has nothing to its east, minimal infrastructure to the south, and one of Omaha's most depressed neighborhoods to the south. That's not a foundation for success. If Playland Park in CB takes off and if North Downtown continues to add residents and if a streetcar ever runs up and down 10th and 13th Streets, downtown might become the place to be, but until and unless those things happen, I expect most of the city's development energy to be focused on midtown areas.
What neighborhood are you referring to in South Omaha?!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Linkin5 wrote:
riceweb wrote:There's just not much reason to live in downtown versus our great midtown neighborhoods. There's a huge contiguous stretch of great neighborhoods in Midtown: up north Country Club, Benson, Dundee; central Midtown Crossing, Blackstone, and Field Club; southwest Morton Meadows and Aksarben. Downtown, by comparison, almost feels like it's on an island, and it's a fairly small area.

I'm sure he can come on and clarify his commentary.. But I believe he meant North...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Downtown isn't nearly as barren as these comments are making it out to be. Nearly $300 million u/c right now and there is always something in predevelopment that John Q. Public isn't aware of.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

iamjacobm wrote:Downtown isn't nearly as barren as these comments are making it out to be. Nearly $300 million u/c right now and there is always something in predevelopment that John Q. Public isn't aware of.
Agreed..

But this forum would not be consistent with what it's evolved into in recent years if we didn't have the gloom and doom negativity...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Future site of the EOmahaforums world HQ. A 45 story building complete with first through 10th floor Hyvee, interoffice light rail and BRT between floors, and observation deck/|expletive|-o-drome on top for comparing ourselves to Lincoln or Des Moines.
No posts exist for this topic
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

MadMartin8 wrote:Future site of the EOmahaforums world HQ. A 45 story building complete with first through 10th floor Hyvee, interoffice light rail and BRT between floors, and observation deck/|expletive|-o-drome on top for comparing ourselves to Lincoln or Des Moines.
Don't forget to have a permanent lane in front of the place reserved just for Food Trucks........we know how some of these guys around here are connoisseurs of fine eating. :lol:
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Linkin5 wrote:

Not far south, just the area immediately south of downtown. 16th and 20th Streets are not attracting investment, and investment along 10th St has been tepid compared to Omaha's midtown neighborhoods. When you combine no immediate neighbors to the east, a north downtown area that still has a long ways to go, and a small consumer base immediately to the south of downtown, you're sometimes going to struggle to attract investors to the area.

That said, I agree with iamjacobm, I love our downtown. I just see some a few hurdles for downtown that our midtown neighborhoods have not had to face.