Dahlman Rows - 7th and Center

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

Does anyone know anything about 1903 South 7th Street? It was purchased by PBPM LLC in 2015, then they demolished the buildings on it last year. So now it's a decent sized empty lot just asking to be redeveloped...
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
Coyote
City Council

Re: 1903 S 7th

Post by Coyote »

Lillian Bean wrote:Does anyone know anything about 1903 South 7th Street? It was purchased by PBPM LLC in 2015, then they demolished the buildings on it last year. So now it's a decent sized empty lot just asking to be redeveloped...
Follow me down a rabbit hole... PBPM LLC's Principle Office is listed as 6400 Artisan Way in Lincoln, who has Donalyn Katt as a resident, who is on the faculty of The Child's View Montessori in Lincoln, who for the past 25 years worked at Dimensions Early Education, and who just finished AMI (Association Montessori Internationale) Assistant Training, I would guess some sort of early childhood development center... :shrug:
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Re: 1903 S 7th

Post by Lillian Bean »

I like the sleuthing. Alternate theory... PBPM LLC owns many rental properties throughout midtown. Ben Katt is also linked to PBPM and identifies himself as in "real estate investing" and "construction." Potential multi-family project? Either way, I love seeing this type of infill development.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF request for a project called Dahlman Rows at 1903 S 7th St. Looks to be some greenhouses on the site currently.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Dahlman Rows - 7th and Center

Post by iamjacobm »

Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Wow. I see why the neighbor was upset that his yard was going to lose sun/its view. I'm a huge proponent of adding density (Lord knows Omaha needs it), but I am not sure a project of this massing belongs in this neighborhood. It's going to dwarf the other homes in the area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:03 am TIF request for a project called Dahlman Rows at 1903 S 7th St. Looks to be some greenhouses on the site currently.
Its crazy what I can remember when I can't usually remember what I had for dinner tonight. I did remember we had a thread for this so I just merged them.

Its great to see new construction is this area. You can't beat its proximity to both I80 and downtown.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Taco wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:14 pm Wow. I see why the neighbor was upset that his yard was going to lose sun/its view. I'm a huge proponent of adding density (Lord knows Omaha needs it), but I am not sure a project of this massing belongs in this neighborhood. It's going to dwarf the other homes in the area.
Darn it. I cant see the download or link on this phone. I want to see this monster project.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:13 am
Taco wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:14 pm Wow. I see why the neighbor was upset that his yard was going to lose sun/its view. I'm a huge proponent of adding density (Lord knows Omaha needs it), but I am not sure a project of this massing belongs in this neighborhood. It's going to dwarf the other homes in the area.
Darn it. I cant see the download or link on this phone. I want to see this monster project.
They are pretty typical row houses, 4 stories tall.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Louie wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:49 am
RockHarbor wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:13 am
They are pretty typical row houses, 4 stories tall.
Thanks. Ill have to check it out another way.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Proposed $12 million housing project south of downtown upsets neighbors losing scenic view

https://omaha.com/money/plus/proposed-m ... c5c8d.html
Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The 36 for-sale dwellings are to cover about an acre at Seventh and Cedar Streets in one of the city's oldest residential areas.

Dubbed Dahlman Rows, the $12 million project is to be built a couple of blocks south of a public park that bears the same man's name. "Cowboy" James Dahlman, a Texan-turned-controversial Nebraska politician, served an unparalleled 20 years as Omaha mayor before he died in 1930.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

Added to Apartment Map

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I didn't know the homes there had a view is anything else but the railroad tracks.
Rehulk
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Rehulk »

The article picture is just an empty unkept grass field. And thank you Omaha media for another "controversial" story because one or two people don't want the undeveloped land to be used because (insert dumb reason here).
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

This project remains a grass lot. Since clearing the site and buying out the neighbor that complained, nothing has happened. Personally, I think the plan previously posted is kaput.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Taco wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:01 am This project remains a grass lot. Since clearing the site and buying out the neighbor that complained, nothing has happened. Personally, I think the plan previously posted is kaput.
It's still in the works.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Brad wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:24 am
Taco wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:01 am This project remains a grass lot. Since clearing the site and buying out the neighbor that complained, nothing has happened. Personally, I think the plan previously posted is kaput.
It's still in the works.
Glad to hear. Seems like once announced, plans have about a 33% conversion rate into progress across the board right now.
jomaha9
Home Owners Association

Post by jomaha9 »

Quick update. Dirt is moving on this project now.

ita
County Board

Post by ita »

They just started listing. Units start at $350k for a 2 bed to $400k for a 3 bed. I just posted about being able to build sub-$300k by building something like this project (in-fill, townhouse/attached housing, smaller sq. ft.), but here we are. Maybe this was always the intended price point. At least it has Hardie siding and Kohler fixtures, I guess.

$350k 2 bed

$375k 3 bed

$398k 3 bed
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So did they ever start going vertical? Last time I went by it was only dirt work?
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Brad wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:14 am So did they ever start going vertical? Last time I went by it was only dirt work?
I haven't been down there since June but the Northern half of the lot had rowhouses. They looked sharp, albeit a little out of place around the smaller houses.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Taco wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:46 pm
Brad wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:14 am So did they ever start going vertical? Last time I went by it was only dirt work?
I haven't been down there since June but the Northern half of the lot had rowhouses. They looked sharp, albeit a little out of place around the smaller houses.
Ok, Thanks for the info!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update: Image
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

This one is turning out better than expected. To me this is the perfect infill project for the neighborhoods south of downtown. It appears they have some nice sized rooftop decks too.
where the corn meets the concrete
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

windsor wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:36 pm This one is turning out better than expected. To me this is the perfect infill project for the neighborhoods south of downtown. It appears they have some nice sized rooftop decks too.
I agreed, until recently. I still do, but a weird thing to me is these aren't really near anything. I think these are meant for suburbanites who want to be closer to the urban things, but not commit to that life style. Sort of a half-way house to the better lifestyle.

Is that a niche Omaha needs or wants? I'm really not sure.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Athomsfere wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:31 am
windsor wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:36 pm This one is turning out better than expected. To me this is the perfect infill project for the neighborhoods south of downtown. It appears they have some nice sized rooftop decks too.
I agreed, until recently. I still do, but a weird thing to me is these aren't really near anything. I think these are meant for suburbanites who want to be closer to the urban things, but not commit to that life style. Sort of a half-way house to the better lifestyle.

I think it’s good honestly. Consider how many people in major cities live in quieter urban neighborhoods. Like very few people I know in nyc want to live near Times Square or downtown, same with Chicago and the Loop. Developing quieter, urban residential neighborhoods just increases the options for different people.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Garrett wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:32 am

I think it’s good honestly. Consider how many people in major cities live in quieter urban neighborhoods. Like very few people I know in nyc want to live near Times Square or downtown, same with Chicago and the Loop. Developing quieter, urban residential neighborhoods just increases the options for different people.
That's a good point. City Ventures has a similar sized project with 24 units at 6th and Woolworth, rentals though. North and South of Downtown east of I-480/I-75 have innumerable lots like the ones these two projects are being built on that could support similar projects. More projects like these will only help urban Omaha bring in residents that want new(er) constructed units. I hope these sell out in quickly and we continue to see these type of infill projects.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

Garrett wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:32 am

This part I get. But unlike NYC, Omaha wouldn't have what makes that practical in NYC. For example, there would not be any bodega nearby. And even the zoning would make it highly unlikely there will ever be one.
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

Im curious about all those old buildings down on 3rd and Hickory and surprised that they havent been talked about for any redevelopment yet. Think they could be turned into some really cool apartments/retail down by the river but close to Little Italy/Bohemia. I see that 115 hickory is for sale now so maybe something will be in the works if they want to keep extending the Riverfront.

https://www.crexi.com/properties/679951 ... ory-street
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

BIGO88 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:21 am Im curious about all those old buildings down on 3rd and Hickory and surprised that they havent been talked about for any redevelopment yet. Think they could be turned into some really cool apartments/retail down by the river but close to Little Italy/Bohemia. I see that 115 hickory is for sale now so maybe something will be in the works if they want to keep extending the Riverfront.

https://www.crexi.com/properties/679951 ... ory-street
There's that and the one just a bit north closer to Little Italy: https://www.crexi.com/properties/239634 ... rce-street[/url]. It would be neat to see something happen along the Riverfront among these two properties. I know the downtown master plan identified the 302 Pierce Street area as a possible location for a park. See page 125 of the plan: https://urbanplanning.cityofomaha.org/i ... 30_web.pdf. Anyway, yeah, there are some interesting properties in that area for possible development/redevelopment.