Dakota Title Building (Flatiron District)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Downtown Oma Res

Dakota Title Building (Flatiron District)

Post by Downtown Oma Res »

I heard a developer has been acquiring property around the Flatiron building with the long term hopes of developing it into a distinct district within downtown. I remember the Market West movement several years ago, but hadn't heard anything lately.

Anyone know anything?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Flatiron District?

Post by daveoma »

According to the Market West website, their neighborhood is actually east of the Flatiron. Plus I don't see any news more recent than 5 years ago.

I think a mini district around the Flatiron would be awesome. There are a lot of old buildings nearby and an urban landscape that is gritty in its appearance.
Iloverumors

Post by Iloverumors »

They are rehabbing the building to the south plus the Dakota Title building will be done next. There is also talk of a new build in the parking lot south across from the Flatiron.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That was the goal of Dicon Corp. or Royce Maynard when they decided to renovate the Flatiron a few years back. They also had their eyes on the Law Building to the west and the former auto detailing site to the south. It would be a cool 'district'. I haven't been by in a while, but Creative Catering was renovating a building around there, which should be done by now.
Iloverumors

Post by Iloverumors »

Rumor has it that Scratch Bakery is moving into the ground floor of the current rehab and there will be room for one more tenant. The "district" will be beautiful once completed.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There is a great pocket of old urbanity to give the area character. Could be a really charming district with some fresh investment.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Iloverumors wrote:They are rehabbing the building to the south plus the Dakota Title building will be done next. There is also talk of a new build in the parking lot south across from the Flatiron.
1811 Island LLC (Dicon) just had this rezoned from DS to CBD...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.64 KiB) Viewed 6603 times
This was built in 1900 as an Office Building.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Dakota Title Building (Flatiron District)

Post by daveoma »

Coyote wrote:
Iloverumors wrote:They are rehabbing the building to the south plus the Dakota Title building will be done next. There is also talk of a new build in the parking lot south across from the Flatiron.
image.jpeg
What is DS?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

daveoma wrote:
Coyote wrote:
image.jpeg
What is DS?
DS = Dwelling Suburban.. As it relates to a zoning district...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

daveoma wrote:What is DS?
DS downtown service district.

The DS downtown service district applies to area on the periphery of the central business district. These areas characteristically display a mixture of residential, commercial, office and light industrial uses. These uses require close proximity to downtown Omaha and occasionally have operating characteristics that are not appropriate in other commercial zoning districts. The DS district also is intended to respond to the continued growth of downtown Omaha and accommodate development which supports this growth.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

DS has more restrictive parking requirements than CBD does.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not sure if these are connected, but TIF request for the property immediately east of the one mentioned in this thread.

EDIT: Different LLCs same owner. Up to mods how you want to treat the development over here.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bijoux Residences
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85.61 KiB) Viewed 6182 times
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Flatiron District about to get going!

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/4D603D2B ... 11812A.pdf
Mixed-use redevelopment project in the historic Flatiron District! Fantastic street retail opportunities, with
approximately 200 apartments to be developed on upper levels. Only blocks away from the Old Market!

500 S. 18TH ST. The historic Standard Oil/Law Building will consist of 5,218 SF of street retail. An additional
172 apartments to be built with an estimated completion date of 1/19. Beautiful historic building perfect for a
restaurant!

563 S. 18TH ST. The former Frieden Building will consist of 2,030 SF of street retail and 13 residential units on
the second and third floors. Can be demised in two. Estimated completion date 1/18.

1801 ST. MARY’S AVE. The former Dakota Title Building will consist of 6,460 SF of street retail and 8 second
floor apartments. Newly constructed private green/patio space on the west side of newly built addition.
Estimated completion date 1/18. Can be demised to 876 SF.
There is a rendering of the 172 unit new build project in the link as well.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looks great. I have been waiting for this area and these properties to get redeveloped.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85.61 KiB) Viewed 5645 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (144.96 KiB) Viewed 5645 times
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

They might as well have not gone to the trouble of making a rendering. It gets an F, but I'm glad to see they'll be bringing in plenty of pedestrians.
aaaron
New to the Neighborhood

Post by aaaron »

That logo in the retail bay window in the rendering looks like Zen Coffee's. Kind of weird to add that detail, unless they're going to have space here. But why would they?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

aaaron wrote:That logo in the retail bay window in the rendering looks like Zen Coffee's. Kind of weird to add that detail, unless they're going to have space here. But why would they?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (102.37 KiB) Viewed 5451 times
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

I think they just stuck a generic lotus flower logo on it to show signage potential for retail.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Bijoux Residences
image.jpeg
14 units almost all small studios. Two units as small as 244 SF.

Asking for $250,000 in TIF. Interesting that the TIF document references this building as one of Leo A. Daly's first.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (149.74 KiB) Viewed 5022 times
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

There was a great article in the World Herald today about a developer wanting to build 2 new big apartment buildings between the Flatiron and the Children's museum. I really hope it comes to pass, because it would be a great addition to the area.

Feel free to move this post if I put it in the wrong thread.

https://www.omaha.com/money/downtown-bu ... 67a09.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the rendering showing the proposed apt buildings:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This area of DT is loaded with potential. Great old buildings, narrow streets keep traffic at a minimum and pedestrian friendly, close to the CBD for work and the Old Market.

The main downside right now is lack of immediate retail options and the jail. The detention center would be another hurdle. If logic prevails and the undersized detention center is abandoned the new courthouses and offices could bring a good daytime population into the area.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Glad they're going to be incorporating some existing buildings into the project. It looks like a nice plan.

I'm hopeful for the final design, but I guess we'll see.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 am This area of DT is loaded with potential. Great old buildings, narrow streets keep traffic at a minimum and pedestrian friendly, close to the CBD for work and the Old Market.

The main downside right now is lack of immediate retail options and the jail. The detention center would be another hurdle. If logic prevails and the undersized detention center is abandoned the new courthouses and offices could bring a good daytime population into the area.
I used to work at the jail during grad school. I walked from Creighton to the jail and really liked the Flatiron area. However, I do agree with you that the jail is a hurdle. This might be a dream, and I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before, but I would like to see the jail moved. It takes a large portion of real estate in an area just brimming with potential, as we can see with this proposed plan.

I have always had the feeling that businesses generally avoid moving into the immediate area surrounding the jail because, well it's a jail, and there are stigmas associated with being near a jail. there are vacancies in most of the buildings on that street. It's a fine facility as is, though, there were concerns in the past with its inadequate space and amenities. I think it would do this area wonders if the jail was moved to another part of town, though I don't know where it could go at this point without making trips from the courthouse to the jail too far.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

ita wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:11 pm
iamjacobm wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:53 am This area of DT is loaded with potential. Great old buildings, narrow streets keep traffic at a minimum and pedestrian friendly, close to the CBD for work and the Old Market.

I used to work at the jail during grad school. I walked from Creighton to the jail and really liked the Flatiron area. However, I do agree with you that the jail is a hurdle. This might be a dream, and I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before, but I would like to see the jail moved. It takes a large portion of real estate in an area just brimming with potential, as we can see with this proposed plan.

I have always had the feeling that businesses generally avoid moving into the immediate area surrounding the jail because, well it's a jail, and there are stigmas associated with being near a jail. there are vacancies in most of the buildings on that street. It's a fine facility as is, though, there were concerns in the past with its inadequate space and amenities. I think it would do this area wonders if the jail was moved to another part of town, though I don't know where it could go at this point without making trips from the courthouse to the jail too far.
Spent a lot of time in and around the Flatiron building the last three years. The jail is not much of a concern - although living "next to the jail" has its stigmas, as you've ascertained. However, the Greyhound station is only a block and a half away or so and that brought some riffraff. Although, my biggest complaint was people blowing out of the OPPD parking structure. Never looked for pedestrians walking.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

obvious2677 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Spent a lot of time in and around the Flatiron building the last three years. The jail is not much of a concern - although living "next to the jail" has its stigmas, as you've ascertained. However, the Greyhound station is only a block and a half away or so and that brought some riffraff. Although, my biggest complaint was people blowing out of the OPPD parking structure. Never looked for pedestrians walking.
I moved to this side of DT about two months ago and totally agree that the jail has realistically been a nonissue for me. I think stigma matters when concerning investors and tenants though, it is still a hurdle that some people will need to get over when considering their housing or where to locate their business.

My biggest gripe would be just being to early to the party in the neighborhood. It would be great if there were a neighborhood bar and a more casual dining option than Flatiron Cafe. Even something as simple as the catering business off of 19th and Jackson opening some lunch hours would be great. There is a catering business in Dallas housed in a very similar older building off of DT that I frequent when in the city that opens for lunch and they just offer cold sandwiches and salads that is great for a quick bite and is quite busy. Would love to have that option when more people start living and working in the area.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

iamjacobm wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:52 am
obvious2677 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:45 pm

I moved to this side of DT about two months ago and totally agree that the jail has realistically been a nonissue for me. I think stigma matters when concerning investors and tenants though, it is still a hurdle that some people will need to get over when considering their housing or where to locate their business.

My biggest gripe would be just being to early to the party in the neighborhood. It would be great if there were a neighborhood bar and a more casual dining option than Flatiron Cafe. Even something as simple as the catering business off of 19th and Jackson opening some lunch hours would be great. There is a catering business in Dallas housed in a very similar older building off of DT that I frequent when in the city that opens for lunch and they just offer cold sandwiches and salads that is great for a quick bite and is quite busy. Would love to have that option when more people start living and working in the area.
Go to Rose and Crown! :lol:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:39 am image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This building is U/C now.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 am
image.jpeg
Sorry, but what is U/C? And what was it before?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:42 pm Not sure if these are connected, but TIF request for the property immediately east of the one mentioned in this thread.

EDIT: Different LLCs same owner. Up to mods how you want to treat the development over here.

Oops, Coyote's images didn't carry.

Dicon is underway rehabbing this building, apartments above commercial space.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love that proposed district.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GetUrban wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:02 pm
image.jpeg
Sorry, but what is U/C?
U/C=Under Construction...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:57 am
GetUrban wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:02 pm
image.jpeg
Sorry, but what is U/C?
U/C=Under Construction...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Annoying when the key point is obscurely abbreviated, especially in this age of artificial intelligence instantaneously suggesting words as you type them in. Although that can be annoying too. :lol:
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Nice they used the Flatiron District lexicon in the article.
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

Missed the previous discussion - I don't think the jail is a huge hurdle because its basically anonymous and most young people don't even know its there. I had lived in Omaha, starting at Creighton, for many years before I found out about it. There are plenty of young professionals in similar situations who will want to live there and not care about the jail, if they even know about it. Only the main entrance even has clear signage to let you know its a correctional facility, and nobody goes that way unless they have business there.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

PWL73316 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:15 pm Missed the previous discussion - I don't think the jail is a huge hurdle because its basically anonymous and most young people don't even know its there. I had lived in Omaha, starting at Creighton, for many years before I found out about it. There are plenty of young professionals in similar situations who will want to live there and not care about the jail, if they even know about it. Only the main entrance even has clear signage to let you know its a correctional facility, and nobody goes that way unless they have business there.
Dated a girl that lived in the Flatiron building. She was not from here and it took her all of two minutes to realize that was a jail.... based on all of the fences having razor wire over them...